As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[tech] It's Tech Spring Cleaning Week now. Clean your....tech....stuff.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I wonder if businesses are more and more switching to laptops over desktops, but with desktop screen hookups.

Cause that laptop is pretty fucking sick.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    like.. even if they're lying and it's really 8, that's still godlike alien technology from space

Oghulk wrote: »
    I wonder if businesses are more and more switching to laptops over desktops, but with desktop screen hookups.

they do, at least in my industry.. but they're not buying laptops like this. The Lenovo Crapbook is still pretty much an enterprise staple, and you need to know someone in the Illuminati to get a nice computer

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Yeah standard issue in my entire company are laptops with docking station and 2 monitors. The Dells we issue most people aren't great, I finagled my way into a nice i7 with SSD.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • schussschuss Registered User regular

I can't remember the last time I even saw a desktop. Everyone gets laptops/docks/monitors and headsets here, but you also are expected to work from home if you can't make it in due to weather.

Jasconius wrote: »

they do, at least in my industry.. but they're not buying laptops like this. The Lenovo Crapbook is still pretty much an enterprise staple, and you need to know someone in the Illuminati to get a nice computer

Did Lenovo overtake Dell as the main enterprise seller?

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    The last corporate job I worked had everyone decked out with Lenovo T440s and docking stations.

there's different kinds of enterprise computers. dell still dominates in-house server racks, and they also do a lot of point-of-sale stuff

whereas Lenovo is really popular with info worker type setups (hence, thinkpads)

Oh, so the Surface Studio starts at $3k for an i5, 8GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2GB VRAM model.

The middle specced model with an i7 and 16GB RAM is $3500.

The full-fat i7, 2TB SSD, 32GB RAM, 4GB VRAM model is $4200.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I'd actually put HP at the top of the x86 server market. The ProLiant DL380 is prolific.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    A lot of places also use those servers as virtual machine deployment, right? I wonder if universities and education will pick up on the surface products more than apple now

Oh wow, the entry level Studio only has a 965M GPU.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    The last corporate job I worked had everyone decked out with Lenovo T440s and docking stations.

That's what we're rolling with now. Anybody working from home full-time has that setup, as do most of the people in the actual offices.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Looks like I'm requisitioning a surface book at some point. Not sure if new or old.

• T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular

This is what our entire company does (all HP laptops, with a couple exceptions)

Complete with laptop dock

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Still looking at tablets. Think I'll have to go to a shop to try out the Zenpad 10 and the Huawei M3.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Tube wrote: »
    Looks like I'm requisitioning a surface book at some point. Not sure if new or old.

A teacher at school got one instead of a standard surface pro 3 the rest of us get by leveraging the fact that he is 7 foot tall and it is an accommodation for size.

It is pretty nice.

Having to hit a button to disconnect the screen is some Star Trek Saucer Separation stuff.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Having old gen GPUs in the Surface Studio thing is a bit of a bummer. That and the face that the 940M or w/e it is in the current Surface Books is re-firmwared as a generic chip meaning that you can't update the drivers on it without hacking the firmware is a super bummer, rather lowers the draw for me. Would be neat if they partnered with Razer or someone to get a slightly more game focussed keyboard base deal in there, 10 series chip and all. Maybe the new 1050 could be a solid replacement for use in the SB2, that would be a start.

Edit: Ahh, no the new SB tops out with the GTX965M. Hopefully it's a generic one that allows driver updates at least.

pimento on
    I have to kind of wonder how big the market for a 4000 dollar super tablet is

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Not huge, but at least at that price they can make it nice and aspirational while not making too much of a loss on it. It would always be a niche device, so they might as well make it a fancy niche.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    4GB of VRAM being reserved for the top tier model is a shame for folks that want to game on it, but I guess that's not the market they're looking for with them.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I wonder how much of my life I would have to sign away to Verizon to get a pixel.

How does the new phone thing work? Would I be better off if I waited for the second gen?

My droid turbo is a pretty sweet phone, I'm very happy with it. It's just about the perfect size to watch YouTube stuff while still fitting into the front pocket of my jeans.

I mean, I cannot wear skinny jeans, but I can wear 514s, which are slim fit.

And I'm 32, so I probably shouldn't wear skinny jeans anyways.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    The Pixel is getting great reviews but I would wait for the next version of it, to let them iron out the kinks after some consumer feedback.

I bought a nexus 5x to tide me over until then.

I actually recommend the Nexus 5x if you can go Sim only.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I'ma go to a t-mobile store today and ask about the cost of splinting my account so my mom pays for her and my brother's line out of his money and I just have mine to worry about.

I think it would save me like 70 bucks a month if my math is right about their plans they list on the website. Plus it'd be better to have me just be responsible for my own line and stuff rather than paying for 3.

Though I figure my mom will need to come out with me to actually do the thing if I decide to do it, since she'll have to sign stuff to put lines in her name.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    Not huge, but at least at that price they can make it nice and aspirational while not making too much of a loss on it. It would always be a niche device, so they might as well make it a fancy niche.

Yeah, this is meant as a "this is what you CAN do with windows" and MS is positioning themselves as a boutique high-end maker. This both illustrates tech capabilities that allow them to push Windows forward while simultaneously not pissing off OEM's that they're theoretically competing against. If they made non-niche devices they'd have to worry about getting into pissing matches with people that sell the largest volume of their product (Windows).

I'm genuinely considering getting a 34" all in one PC as it comes in at about £200 cheaper than the tower and monitor I had spec'd out.

32 inch all in one
    I5-6600k
    32GB of ram
    GTX1060 6GB
    1TB hard drive.

I need to do some research but anyone know of any pitfalls of all in one's?

I'm not interested in it being modular (for upgrades) but do these things get super hot/noisey etc?

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    I'm genuinely considering getting a 34" all in one PC as it comes in at about £200 cheaper than the tower and monitor I had spec'd out.

32 inch all in one
    I5-6600k
    32GB of ram
    GTX1060 6GB
    1TB hard drive.

I'm not interested in it being modular (for upgrades) but do these things get super hot/noisey etc?

The lack of an SSD in there is frankly criminal considering the rest of the parts. If it doesn't have the room to put one in I wouldn't buy it.

are there even AIO windows machines that are good?

Campy wrote: »

32 inch all in one
    I5-6600k
    32GB of ram
    GTX1060 6GB
    1TB hard drive.

The lack of an SSD in there is frankly criminal considering the rest of the parts. If it doesn't have the room to put one in I wouldn't buy it.

Oooh I can put one in but then that pushes the cost closer to the tower/monitor combo.

The ease of moving an all in one though does make it more attractive.

What's a good SSD to pair with a 1TB hard drive?

Also, what's the opinion on SSHD drives (they look like a hybrid between standard and SSD)?

edited October 2016
    Hybrid drives are more like an HDD with a large cache. They aren't as fast as an SSD but you can see some small improvement over a regular HDD. If the hybrid drive is no cost or very, very low cost as an upgrade, it's probably worth it if you rent going to spring for an SSD.

You want an SSD that's big enough to hold your OS and primary apps/games with a bit of headroom. Most people suggest no less than 240GB now that SSDs are less costly. I think the Samsung 850 EVO is still the go-to consumer-grade choice?

jgeis on
    Don't get a 250gb SSD. I have one (it's pretty old now I guess) but we're now at a stage with game install sizes where 250gb is tiny. I'm constantly fighting for space.

Tube wrote: »
    Don't get a 250gb SSD. I have one (it's pretty old now I guess) but we're now at a stage with game install sizes where 250gb is tiny. I'm constantly fighting for space.

Yeah, I don't game much so it's easy for me to get by with a small SSD. 500GB is probably a good baseline.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Well this is a surprise, I know Twitter was making cuts, but I would've thought Vine had a solid/useful userbase?

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    That's sad. I didn't use Vine but I felt like it had a pretty cool niche

wait what

Vine has been like, super popular...?

Instagram does the same thing now and I can only assume has a much larger userbase?

Also I'll keep it in mind about the ssd vs hybrid HD. I'll do some more research

Just to chime in on this, I would say (in the UK) every major it company is moving to this model to give it's employees flexibility and for business continuity in the event of major transport disruption

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Also I'll keep it in mind about the ssd vs hybrid HD. I'll do some more research

"Hybrid" HDDs are just regular platter HDDs with an extra cache built in, usually not very large. They work okay if the software you are using is constantly loading things into and out of RAM, but the data in the solid state part of the drive still has to get loaded in there off the platter part of the drive.

Samsung SSDs are pretty much the best, but there are plenty of other companies making good fast reliable SSDs if you can't afford to spend big dollars. This would make a fantastic primary drive for all your programs and a bunch of games, and you just keep media and other cruft on a nice cheap platter drive. This is a cheaper option that is still a great drive for less than the Sammy.

This discussion has been closed.