As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Give Thanks for the Moment of the Week - 11/21/2007

Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Graphic Violence
So, my bad moment of the week was spinning out on the interstate and crashing.

My good moments of the week include:

Angel: After the Fall (Season Six)
EVERYONE IS IN HELL!

She-Hulk
SKRULLS EVERYWHERE! 500 of 'em!

Detective Comics
Batman has a new awesome costume!

Thunderbolts: Breaking Point
"You're about to learn an inconvenient truth!"

Mai-Kero on

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    pics or it didnt happen.

well it probably did but i want pics anyway.

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    X-Factor
    "Layla, what are you doing?"
    "Stuff!"

deadonthestreet on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    She-Hulk- Pretty much the whole thing, but especially the Absorbing Man finding a wrecking ball at Home Depot and proceeding to whail on Shulkie with it. Also, the last page reveal made me smile, though I was hoping that
    the Skrull would be Lyja.
    PAD's really pulling this book out of the hole Slott had dug with his last few issues. Can't wait to see what larger story PAD's weaving here.

The Spirit- The whole thing. Seeing Denny man up in such a big way was just amazing. This issue was just an enormous exclamation point on Cooke's run, wrapping up the first real multi-issue arc in the book's short run, and bringing a satisfying end to the story of the Spirit's archnemesis, El Morte. And I loved this panel.

Spirit2.jpg

The Brave and the Bold- Seeing Flash explain to his daughter Iris that Rita Farr wears a disturbing, June Cleaver smile all the time to compensate for her self-perceived status as a freak, followed by this panel.

BB1.jpg

My best moment of the week was finally locating issue of Adventures in the DC Universe, a DCAU-styled book that DC published briefly in the '90s. This issue was particularly desirable because it featured Blue Beetle and Booster Gold, with a backup story about the Question. It's filled with all kinds of chuckle-worthy classic JLI shenanigans, done in an attractive animated style. The book opens with Blue Beetle and Booster Gold pinned under Beetle's Bug ship amidst a pile of wreckage, and then continues on with this little sequence.

AdvDCU1-1.jpg

AdvDCU1-2.jpg

For some reason I really like how Ted's sitting at his kitchen table with a a big pile of high tech junk in front of him. I always loved the inventor side of him, and a simple little touch like that really tells the reader a lot about his character without a lot of exposition.

Anti-Moment of the Week

The Loners- Making me hate a cast full of characters I otherwise liked. I was enjoying this book for the first few issues, but great art and characters I like could only do so much for Cebulski's amateurish writing. What a total let-down. What was done to Phil Urich was a fucking crime.

Munch on
  • IllyriaIllyria __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Any pics of Batman's new costume?

Illyria on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] alley.jpg
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What happened in Loners? I hate that book, so I don't read it, but I'd like to see the characters appear again and want to know what kind of hole they have to crawl out of for them to do so.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • skylinerskyliner Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Illyria wrote: »
    Any pics of Batman's new costume?
    newbat.jpg

skyliner on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    He looks chunky from this angle

Bloods End on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I do not yet know what to think of this new costume

Dex Dynamo on
  • GreyHunter316GreyHunter316 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »

FEAR THE BAT GUT
    Thats all I have to say.

GreyHunter316 on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »

because the art is fucking awful

it's not a new costume, Talia just gave him some armor for the time being

Garlic Bread on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Munch, I got that comic at our local store a few months back.

I actually posted scans of it somewhere.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Jordyn wrote: »

I think I like it more than the JLU one where he fights the Shaggy Man/General Eiling. Though that one did have Beetle stealing Batman's mayo. Tough call.
    What happened in Loners? I hate that book, so I don't read it, but I'd like to see the characters appear again and want to know what kind of hole they have to crawl out of for them to do so.

Here's the thing. It's not just one big thing. It's just a whole bunch of little things. After six issues, it basically feels like a bunch of random shit happened, with nothing really building off of anything else in any logical fashion, and nothing coming to anything resembling a satisfying conclusion. Maybe I'd feel differently if I went back and read the whole thing in one sitting, but I doubt it.

Highlights:
    -Phil Urich goes apeshit stalker crazy, because all who bear the mantle of the Goblin will fall to madness! For some fucking reason. Thanks for fucking up a cool character Cebulski.
    -That Psylocke chick is actually the all new Red Ronin! Whoever the fuck that is! You're welcome fanboys! Also, after appearing and getting like, three lines, the series ends. Good use of time setting that up Cebulski.
    -Spider-Girl regrets fucking Ricochet and leaves, with her whole investigation subplot going nowhere. This is the first character that comes into the series/group and then quickly exits before the end.
    -And here's the second. Hollow, the pink mutant thing from Generation X leaves with Phil, almost immediately after she tries to eviscerate following his descent into madness. Aw, how sweet. And utterly nonsensical. Also, it was cool how she was brought into the series just to leave a few issues later.
    -Ricochet fades from the plot after issue three, and basically does a whole lot of nothing for the rest of the series. I mean shit, how's Cebulski supposed to get around to writing him when he has to devote page space to big sellers like Red Ronin and Hollow?

I'm going to stop there, because I'm not sure if I'm really getting my point across. This isn't the worst series I've ever read. It's not a failure on every level. It's just completely pedestrian, mediocre writing coupled with beautiful art and likeable characters that are completely wasted on the pedantic, paint-by-numbers plot. Someone needs to sit down with Cebulski and explain story structure to him, and then let him write to his little heart's content.

Munch on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited November 2007
    Is... is Darkhawk okay? :(

DMAC on
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ahh shit, I didn't realize Angel Season 6 was this week. Now I need to go back to my shop to see if they have any left.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    DMAC wrote: »

Yes. It's a pretty sweet battle, though.

DarkPrimus on
  • Worsel96Worsel96 A Castle in the SkyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

It makes up for him getting chumped last issue. Kind of an underwhelming series. Hard to believe this spun out of Runaways. If they decide to do a second series, maybe it'll get a writer that can do the concept a little more justice. I'd personally like some explanation as to why Darkhawk is back in his original form instead of the one he was in at the end of his series. I loved me some DH back in the day.

Worsel96 on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    Jordyn wrote: »

I think I like it more than the JLU one where he fights the Shaggy Man/General Eiling. Though that one did have Beetle stealing Batman's mayo. Tough call.

Here's the thing. It's not just one big thing. It's just a whole bunch of little things. After six issues, it basically feels like a bunch of random shit happened, with nothing really building off of anything else in any logical fashion, and nothing coming to anything resembling a satisfying conclusion. Maybe I'd feel differently if I went back and read the whole thing in one sitting, but I doubt it.

Highlights:
    -Phil Urich goes apeshit stalker crazy, because all who bear the mantle of the Goblin will fall to madness! For some fucking reason. Thanks for fucking up a cool character Cebulski.
    -That Psylocke chick is actually the all new Red Ronin! Whoever the fuck that is! You're welcome fanboys! Also, after appearing and getting like, three lines, the series ends. Good use of time setting that up Cebulski.
    -Spider-Girl regrets fucking Ricochet and leaves, with her whole investigation subplot going nowhere. This is the first character that comes into the series/group and then quickly exits before the end.
    -And here's the second. Hollow, the pink mutant thing from Generation X leaves with Phil, almost immediately after she tries to eviscerate following his descent into madness. Aw, how sweet. And utterly nonsensical. Also, it was cool how she was brought into the series just to leave a few issues later.
    -Ricochet fades from the plot after issue three, and basically does a whole lot of nothing for the rest of the series. I mean shit, how's Cebulski supposed to get around to writing him when he has to devote page space to big sellers like Red Ronin and Hollow?

I'm going to stop there, because I'm not sure if I'm really getting my point across. This isn't the worst series I've ever read. It's not a failure on every level. It's just completely pedestrian, mediocre writing coupled with beautiful art and likeable characters that are completely wasted on the pedantic, paint-by-numbers plot. Someone needs to sit down with Cebulski and explain story structure to him, and then let him write to his little heart's content.
    I've sadly haven't read the series, catching the story only by online posts about it. It is sad to see Phil 'succumb' to the Goblin, but perhaps that happened in a different fashion. After all, Norman Osborn's in a position of power now government-wise (more or less). Could he finally decided to do something about Phil 'ruining the good name' of the Goblin by making sure Phil went nuts somehow? Note that Phil's not the only one on the Loners Norman would have a grudge at.

As for the Red Ronin reveal, it's probably the most logical direction they would have resurected the name/character considering giant-robots isn't trendy now-a-days in Marvel anymore. They already did it to the Sentinels after all.

Owenashi on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Worsel96 wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

It makes up for him getting chumped last issue. Kind of an underwhelming series. Hard to believe this spun out of Runaways. If they decide to do a second series, maybe it'll get a writer that can do the concept a little more justice. I'd personally like some explanation as to why Darkhawk is back in his original form instead of the one he was in at the end of his series. I loved me some DH back in the day.

Well, it can be inferred from the comic that he was able to switch between the two as he wished... and he went with the original because it was less dorky.

DarkPrimus on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Drakeon wrote: »
    Ahh shit, I didn't realize Angel Season 6 was this week. Now I need to go back to my shop to see if they have any left.

If Joss Whedon had been allowed to do this on television...

Oh god.

It would be so expensive but so good.

I think a television version of season six on HBO would be the best thing ever. I would be more excited about that than I already am for Song of Ice and Fire.

Mai-Kero on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    For the first time in my life, I actually have an interest in the Gunn character.
    Wesley becoming a Wolfram and Hart liason is also good, but I already liked his character.

Now it's just a question of what happened to Spike and Illyria, and Lorne too if he didn't make it out of LA before it got sent to hell.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The end of Heroes for Hire
    "We never should have been Heroes for Hire, Misty...we should have just been heroes."

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Good god. Who writes dialogue that terrible?

Synthetic Orange on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I fucking hate that H4H is over without any real notice or fanfare. That's like 4 books I've bought over the last year that have been canceled. I feel like I'm jinxing new books. :(

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Colleen and Misty decided that their future is much brighter inside the pages of Immortal Iron Fist, under the loving care of Brubaker and Fraction.

And because they're planning on getting gay married, health benefits bedamned!

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    I fucking hate that H4H is over without any real notice or fanfare. That's like 4 books I've bought over the last year that have been canceled. I feel like I'm jinxing new books. :(
    I think it only happens when we both team up to buy a series, Mask.

Wildcat on
    edited November 2007
    Wildcat wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    I think it only happens when we both team up to buy a series, Mask.

We're like the deadly duo of comic fandom. Please tell me you don't read Black Panther. D:

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Out of concern over how you'd flip if that went under, I have refrained!

Wildcat on
    edited November 2007
    Thank you, good sir. :^:

wwtMask on
  • DivebommahDivebommah Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Moment of the week:
    What If...? Annihilation was fantastic. The last page, with Tony, Cap, and Nova going balls to the wall against the wave was fantastic.

Disappointment of the year:
    Loners #6 was going to be my moment of the week. Seeing Darkhawk in his new armor again was great.

Then it was over, and it left me with a whopping case of blue balls. Also, Red Ronin -- WTF? I remember it from that issue of Exiles (that was great) but this...

WTF?

Divebommah on
  • GreyHunter316GreyHunter316 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah I was lovin Loners but that last issue was such a let down.

GreyHunter316 on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Divebommah wrote: »
    Moment of the week:
    What If...? Annihilation was fantastic. The last page, with Tony, Cap, and Nova going balls to the wall against the wave was fantastic.
    Yeah, but where the fuck was the "Power of a million motherfucking exploding suns" Sentry from WWH 5, outside of carrying Phyla's ass during one battle.

I mean, come on... He's got to be a better secret weapon than Ultimate Hulk when fighting a alien fleet from another dimension.

Crimsondude on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Which of you motherfuckers is gonna stop reading New X-Men.

The Muffin Man on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

Especially since Julian is gonna be out of the next couple of issues. It's about to get even better.

Fencingsax on
    edited November 2007

I'm going to stop reading it.
    ..after it's canceled. :x

wwtMask on
  • SASA Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, Loners was a big kick in the balls.

I really liked the shortlived Green Goblin series from the 90s.

And this pretty much just shits on it.

In marvel's haste to rid everything in the 90s from continuity they destroyed some of the stuff I actually liked.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • DivebommahDivebommah Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Moment of the week:
    Yeah, but where the fuck was the "Power of a million motherfucking exploding suns" Sentry from WWH 5, outside of carrying Phyla's ass during one battle.

I mean, come on... He's got to be a better secret weapon than Ultimate Hulk when fighting a alien fleet from another dimension.

Ya, I imagine the writer was supremely rushed and just didn't think of it.

Just had a thought. Sentry vs. Galactus. Winner? I bring it up because Galactus got his ass handed to him by the Annihilation Wave, right? Sooooooooooooo...

Divebommah on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    well not really. galactus got his ass handed to him by two beings of equal power, i.e. manifestations of the universe. and he still put up a pretty good fight.

in fact
    galactus pretty much destroyed the entire annihilation wave when he was freed

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Nogs wrote: »
    well not really. galactus got his ass handed to him by two beings of equal power, i.e. manifestations of the universe. and he still put up a pretty good fight.

in fact
    And then Sufer road a fucking galactic "Crunch" and killed the fuck out of Ageis and Tenobrus. By himself. He killed them both. Even Galactus was impressed.

Transporter on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just had a thought. Sentry vs. Galactus. Winner? I bring it up because Galactus got his ass handed to him by the Annihilation Wave, right? Sooooooooooooo...

In one of his minis (I think it was the first one, back before he was in the main continuity) it was mentioned that he fought Galactus to a standstill at one point.

But most of what happened in that series has very little to do with the current Sentry so oh well.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Nogs wrote: »

in fact
    And then Sufer road a fucking galactic "Crunch" and killed the fuck out of Ageis and Tenobrus. By himself. He killed them both. Even Galactus was impressed.

For some reason I imagine a dark seedy night club where Surfer just serves (lol pun intended) Aegis and Tenobrus their asses in a break dancing contest with Galactus in the back nodding in approval.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg