As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Games Done Quick: See You Next Mission

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    There's a metroid speedrun marathon happening here:

BahamutZERO.gif
    Up now is a hard difficulty low% run of zero mission, which is god damn difficult to even complete let alone speedrun

BahamutZERO.gif
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    searched for bonesaw and pcull on that schedule

this agdq sucks

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    seeing a Windwaker run without Narcissa as the runner bums me out

has there been any update to how her hands are?

• simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Bonesaw got banned for a year beacuse of that jak and daxtet run

simulacrum wrote: »

there is no justice in the world

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    wait is that the same Jak and Daxter run where a man died on the couch due to exhaustion

YaYa wrote: »
    wait is that the same Jak and Daxter run where a man died on the couch due to exhaustion

Yes

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    What

What the fuck

Brolo on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    the low % echoes run is great, lots of cool glitches

have they ever run metroid 2? I feel like they have at least once. I wonder if they'd consider running AM2R this summer or if nintendo would be mad at them for broadcasting it.

Anything as crazy as the bug they used with boost ball in Prime? (Grab anything spawned anywhere in a single glitchy burst of infinite speed)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

they try and keep the dialogue family friendly

it was decidedly not

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    He's still allowed to commentate on runs this year.

Polaritie wrote: »

have they ever run metroid 2? I feel like they have at least once. I wonder if they'd consider running AM2R this summer or if nintendo would be mad at them for broadcasting it.

Anything as crazy as the bug they used with boost ball in Prime? (Grab anything spawned anywhere in a single glitchy burst of infinite speed)

I don't recall if that particular glitch survived into prime 2, but there's a lot of getting out of the levels and walking over the top of invisible unloaded rooms and such

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited October 2016
    cB557 wrote: »
    He's still allowed to commentate on runs this year.

Yeah, I should have specified that he isn't allowed to run but he's not actually barred from the event in any way.

simulacrum on
    PiptheFair wrote: »

it was decidedly not

oh i know, but i think it's very short-sighted

it feels like agdq is very slow to adapt as speedrunning culture evolves from simply a showcase of talent to something more personality driven

maybe there's call for like an "after dark" block where they can throw bonesaw and pcull and whoever else

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to keep a certain level of classiness and decorum, and it's not like they threw him out, they just didn't invite him back.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    and actually they DID invite him back! he's still allowed on the couch, he just can't do a run for a year

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular

it was decidedly not

it feels like agdq is very slow to adapt as speedrunning culture evolves from simply a showcase of talent to something more personality driven

maybe there's call for like an "after dark" block where they can throw bonesaw and pcull and whoever else

The problem with an 'after dark' idea is the stream isn't exactly limited to US viewers. I already miss the prime time runs because they're happening at around 2am for me.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Yeah. To me, the night runs are the prime time ones. Which generally suits me just fine, but it could get awkward.

What they should do is run a guerilla event right after with a higher age rating. Something that's not super advertised, but just there.

klemming wrote: »

it was decidedly not

The problem with an 'after dark' idea is the stream isn't exactly limited to US viewers. I already miss the prime time runs because they're happening at around 2am for me.

yeah i mean i'm in ireland, and "After dark" block at 3 AM cst would be me getting up and having coffee while watching Pikachu and Naruto's Quest For The Car Keys

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    They banned Bonesaw? Is Owen Wilson banned too??

fuck this

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    no Golf no sale

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Metroid prime speedruns are insane

"and now I'm going to spin at infinite speed and exist at all points in the room simultaneously"

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah Bonesaw's super XXX Adults Only run, where the top memes were risque numbers like "Pikachu and Naruto search for car keys" and "Owen Wilson sure says Waow a lot."

I'm thinking he was banned because it just fell beneath some arbitrary level of professionalism in GDQ's eyes. I haven't seen a real solid reason for the ban, and I still think GDQ super dropped the ball here.

YL9WnCY.png
    Yeah Bonesaw's super XXX Adults Only run, where the top memes were risque numbers like "Pikachu and Naruto search for car keys" and "Owen Wilson sure says Waow a lot."

I'm thinking he was banned because it just fell beneath some arbitrary level of professionalism in GDQ's eyes. I haven't seen a real solid reason for the ban, and I still think GDQ super dropped the ball here.

they don't allow profanity

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    on the other hand, if nothing came of this, I could see GDQ devolving into runners all trying to do "funny" runs and that's not what the folks in charge want the event to be

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Also in their defense, they several times told him to stop referencing celebrities and he kept coming back to it. I can see why they'd want to restrict his access and put him in a position where they can more easily deal with him.

Not saying that it's right or I agree with it, but I understand why and how it happened.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    also publicly mocking rich people and jokingly encouraging people to harass the social media of big companies seems like a bad thing to allow if you're as small and vulnerable as GDQ is

there were a lot of things going on it that run, really

they're attempting to maintain a certain level of decorum and professionalism, and even though the run was memorable and funny as hell, it absolutely was not in line with what they are going for

they're showcasing talent first, and personality much much less

it's why big jon golf is not a thing

• NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    so why exactly is Yoshi's Story Melons% a constant no-show, exactly

I've never really been clear on what the organizers have against it

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure that telling your audience to brigade someone on Twitter (even if it's a corporation, even if it's in jest, even if it doesn't actually materialize) is a showstopper all on its own. I'd eat an infraction at a bare minimum for that kind of thing here. I'm not surprised that "you are not presenting with us for a year" came of that for Bonesaw.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Yeah for all the money they raise it is still a pretty small organization that puts it on and they could not afford a legal battle. He seems ok with the decision so I am not upset about it.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    Yeah that's the other thing to bear in mind. A good chunk of that run was the manic ravings of a very tired man. We've probably all had nights like that, where you're up way too late and not fully in control of your own actions. I'd imagine he probably feels a bit bad about causing them trouble.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    did trouble manifest

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Nope

YL9WnCY.png
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    they're attempting to maintain a certain level of decorum and professionalism, and even though the run was memorable and funny as hell, it absolutely was not in line with what they are going for

And yet, all the best runs are due to great personality. GDQ can try to stop the tide, but as it turns out, personalities are what people want when they go for video content on the internet.

GDQ would do better to lean in instead of trying to stop the inevitable. When I look at the schedule I barely even care what is being run, I care who is running.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Knight_ wrote: »

And yet, all the best runs are due to great personality. GDQ can try to stop the tide, but as it turns out, personalities are what people want when they go for video content on the internet.

GDQ would do better to lean in instead of trying to stop the inevitable. When I look at the schedule I barely even care what is being run, I care who is running.

As a counterpoint I only know who a couple of these people are and care way more about the games being shown.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    yeah but you're a robot learning human emotions

liEt3nH.png
    yeah but you're a robot learning human emotions

Hey!

*consulting database*

Rude!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.