As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Printing on A0

ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
Right, I need a poster printed on A0 size paper, but the tricky bit is that it needs to be perfectly to scale.

It's a vector image of paper sizes, so I need for example the A1 on the poster to be a perfect match to a real piece of A1 paper. It's to help me when visualising stuff (and I think it will look pretty cool on my wall).

Anyone know of a UK printer that can do this?

ben0207 on

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    Right, I need a poster printed on A0 size paper, but the tricky bit is that it needs to be perfectly to scale.

It's a vector image of paper sizes, so I need for example the A1 on the poster to be a perfect match to a real piece of A1 paper. It's to help me when visualising stuff (and I think it will look pretty cool on my wall).

EDIT: Sorry, my reading comprehension totally fails. What you're asking for is pretty basic I think, I bet Southampton University print shop ( http://www.soton.ac.uk/bcs/printcentre/index.html ) would be able to do what you wanted at a fairly reasonable price.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Using Photoshop or Illustrator you could fairly simply set up an A0 sheet (or at least its printable area), then draw boxes the appropriate sizes for A1, etc ... (you just need to find the width & height measurements yourself and then mark it up).

EDIT: Being American I'm unfamiliar with A1 and A0 paper sizes. Is A0 some especially large format?

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Twice the size of A1, which in turn is twice the size of A2, which in turn is twice the size of A3 and so on and so forth.

ben0207 on
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Twice the size of A1, which in turn is twice the size of A2, which in turn is twice the size of A3 and so on and so forth.

huh ... so that's an 841mm/31inch plotter you'll need.

Nobody makes printers that print single sheets that large. They make plotters, which feed paper off a roll ... you print up to whatever length you need and then run a razor across to chop off the unused paper.

Are you at University (or do you work for a university)? Many colleges and universities have printers that size either in a print lab or graphics design lab that students, faculty, and staff can use if they ask very very nicely. Also, print shops will probably be able to print posters for you for a (usually unreasonable) fee.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, loks like my uni can do it. I'll place an order with them.

Lock away mod-types. Unless people really want to talk about paper sizes and plotters, which I doubt.

ben0207 on
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Looks like you need one of these:

hp-scitex-printer.jpg

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It prints hot asian chicks?! Where can I get one?

Lewisham on
    edited November 2007
    I love the way they've dressed it up to look like a norml printer but bigger. Does weird things to my sense of scale.

ben0207 on
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    scitex_TJ8300.jpg

jesus christ (look at the monitor for scale)

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Argh, it hurts my brain so much. It also wants to make me make an entire office to scale so I can run aorund like a midget and jump on the keyboard keys to type.

stigweard on
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Basticle wrote: »
    scitex_TJ8300.jpg

jesus christ (look at the monitor for scale)

That is brilliant. It's a 13-FOOT LONG DESKJET!

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    stigweard wrote: »
    Argh, it hurts my brain so much. It also wants to make me make an entire office to scale so I can run aorund like a midget and jump on the keyboard keys to type.

piano_big.jpg

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2007
    Do you reckon it has a giant USB lead that takes 4 men to plug it in?

ben0207 on