As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Paradox Can Into Space With [Stellaris]

19495969798100»

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Kruite wrote: »
    Recommendat ions for taking on stations? I had a 1.2k fleet get wiped out by 950 station with kinetics

Bigger Guns and Torpedoes.

Make some Destroyers with the Large weapon slot for taking out stations, at least until you can build cruisers (though you might still keep some around afterwards: Destroyers' high base Tracking means they can use them for taking out other destroyers.) Torpedoes are kinda in a bad place at the moment with Tracking being king in 1.3 and (I think) ship AI not taking their chances of hitting into account when picking targets, but for early game station hunting they'll melt those things like butter.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • ChrisAlgooChrisAlgoo Registered User regular
    GlyphGryph wrote: »
    I made some races for a race pack on another forum, but am willing to share. Would anyone like a copy of any of the following?

zazAl07.jpg (The "We Are Working Together For Now" Government, lead by Grand Conclave "Space is Good, Let's do Space")
    8Z64k2A.jpg (Spoiler: They won't.)
    gDYJU8I.jpg (Full name: The Rythmic Undulations of Life's Neverending Song)

To use, simple copy/paste the data from https://justpaste.it/zrf0 into the end of your My Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/user_empire_designs.txt file

These are great, very Star Control II

• FrostwoodFrostwood Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    Recommendat ions for taking on stations? I had a 1.2k fleet get wiped out by 950 station with kinetics

Corvettes with torps-they have no tracking, but stations don't dodge, and deal heavy damage. I keep two classes of corvettes on hand, one with railguns, and the other with torps and autocannons.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    build a bigger fleet. stations become a non issue pretty quickly

• MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    So, what advice or updates would you all give to someone who played this when it was released but hasn't touched it in months? I was waiting until it got the Patented Paradox Patch Process going some. Things to be aware of that? Most useful tips? Fun play styles?

I've got the hankering building but figured I'd see what's changed before sinking time in, only to find out halfway through a game, "oh THAT'S what the little button does?"

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i'm tempted to start a new post as we actually hit 100 pages! @The Sauce ?

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    New Dev Diary out.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-50-the-journey-ahead.978042/
    Wiz wrote:
    Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today we'll be talking a bit about where the game stands, where we're going, and what we want to focus on in the future.

Where we stand
    As anyone who regularly reads the Stellaris dev diaries should know, the intent for Heinlein changed quite a bit back at the end of the summer. While we had originally planned Heinelin to be an update accompanying a major expansion, we decided instead to scale back the scope of the paid content by making a Story Pack, Leviathans, and focusing most of our resources on the actual free update. Now that Heinlein and Leviathans are out, my conclusion is that this was the right decision on our part. By doing this, we gave ourselves time to iterate on some of our weaker features and add a great deal of UI and quality of life functionality. Heinlein ended up as a *huge* update that we feel moved the game forward in a lot of ways, and judging from the huge amount of positive feedback we have gotten, you guys seem to generally agree with this assessment.

So where *do* we stand? My view is that we now have a very solid base game to build on, and that going forward it's time to scale up our ambitions. To make space even greater, so to speak.

Where we're going
    So what's next for Stellaris? I have talked a bit about the planned 'Banks' update, which will be a major update accompanied by a full-sized expansion. This is still the plan, but before we release Banks we have another update, dubbed 'Kennedy', which we aim to release before the end of the year. This will be a small update targeting a few specific key issues, such as precursor event chains and endgame crises, that we did not have time for in Heinlein. After that will be Banks, and while we will not be providing any details about the Banks update or accompanying expansion at this time, I will say that the author name chosen for this update may offer some clues. ;)

What we want
    Finally, I just wanted to offer some insight into what we believe are the key areas of the game that we should focus on at this time. We have received, and continue to receive, an amazing amount of good feedback and ideas, and of course we have our own ambitions and ideas for where we want to take Stellaris, but at the moment there are three key areas that we aim to continually target with future updates and content, namely:

Fleshing out the mid- and lategame through the addition of more interesting narratives and 'galactic events' akin to Awakened Fallen Empires that shake up the galactic scene.
    Improving the internal workings of empires, making pops and leaders more interesting, and making empires feel more alive.
    Expanding on the ethics system, creating more unique playstyles and enhancing roleplaying.

This is of course not the *only* things we aim to focus on, but they are what we consider to be the most important areas going forward right now. Just to give you an idea of what else you can expect in the future, here is a list of some features (in no particular order of priority) that we are looking into adding in the future.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT AN EXHAUSTIVE OR FINAL LIST, AND NOTHING BELOW IS CERTAIN TO HAPPEN!

Ship appearance that differs for each empire, so no two empires' ships look exactly the same.
    More story events and reactive narratives that give a sense of an unfolding story as you play.
    More potential for empire customization, ability to build competitive 'tall' empires.
    Deeper Federations that start out as loose alliances and can eventually be turned into single states through diplomatic manuevering.
    Ability to set rights and obligations for particular species in your empire.
    Global food that can be shared between planets.
    Superweapons and planet killers.
    Ability to construct space habitats and ringworlds.
    More interesting mechanics for pre-FTL civilizations.
    Factions that are proper interest groups with specific likes and dislikes and the potential to be a benefit to an empire instead of just being rebels.
    A 'galactic community' with interstellar politics and a 'space UN'.
    Buildable Dreadnoughts and Titans.

Again, remember that the above is not a list of promises, that I can't answer any specific questions about future content, and that plans can and will change, but I hope I've at least given you some idea of where Stellaris will be going from here, and that you look forward to the journey ahead of us as much as we do here in the development team.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Wiz wrote:
    After that will be Banks, and while we will not be providing any details about the Banks update or accompanying expansion at this time, I will say that the author name chosen for this update may offer some clues. ;)

CHANGE OF UNDERWEAR REQUIRED.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Wiz wrote:
    After that will be Banks, and while we will not be providing any details about the Banks update or accompanying expansion at this time, I will say that the author name chosen for this update may offer some clues. ;)

CHANGE OF UNDERWEAR REQUIRED.

GSV You're Going To Clean Up That Mess.

(I love the culture novels so much. Even if they've retoractivley ruined most other sci-fi for me, because nothing i've found quite does it's blend of optimsim and technology).

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    There's a couple of ways they could be hinting with that. Personally I'm hoping it's something I've been wanting in the game since the get go. That being some Cultural ways of effecting your friends/neighbours/enemies. The ability to have an empire foster change in other empires via pops/ethics/factions and all that jazz is pretty much already there, we just need some way of actually performing it e.g. Special Circumstances agents!

I think it'll really help flesh out Pacifist runs, which I've totally given up on since unless you get a lucky start they're all but impossible to do well with barring...

Skdd3kG.png

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    i'm tempted to start a new post as we actually hit 100 pages! The Sauce?
    Go ahead! I still haven't actually picked this one up, so I'm not in a position to manage the threads for it.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Mining lasers did the trick. I have my corvettes with 2 lasers and 1 kinetic.

Destroyers have missles only (1 large 1 medium) I'll swap out for better weapons when I get them.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    There's a couple of ways they could be hinting with that. Personally I'm hoping it's something I've been wanting in the game since the get go. That being some Cultural ways of effecting your friends/neighbours/enemies. The ability to have an empire foster change in other empires via pops/ethics/factions and all that jazz is pretty much already there, we just need some way of actually performing it e.g. Special Circumstances agents!

I think it'll really help flesh out Pacifist runs, which I've totally given up on since unless you get a lucky start they're all but impossible to do well with barring...

Yeah, I think we're definitely getting a "culture" expansion pack. They've hinted that they'd like to expand religion in the past, i.e, making spiritualists have a specific religion rather than just being "spiritual", which opens up a lot of possibilities. I.e, maybe species X likes you so long as you allow their missionaries into your borders to proselytise (which bends your culture towards theirs as people convert), but species Y is a more "convert or die" type of deal. And of course materialists are all "lol, religion", but there's always the potential for them to be aggressively atheist...
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Go ahead! I still haven't actually picked this one up, so I'm not in a position to manage the threads for it.

Suggested thread title: "Prep the Battleships, but keep it on the DL"

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »

Yeah, I think we're definitely getting a "culture" expansion pack. They've hinted that they'd like to expand religion in the past, i.e, making spiritualists have a specific religion rather than just being "spiritual", which opens up a lot of possibilities. I.e, maybe species X likes you so long as you allow their missionaries into your borders to proselytise (which bends your culture towards theirs as people convert), but species Y is a more "convert or die" type of deal. And of course materialists are all "lol, religion", but there's always the potential for them to be aggressively atheist...

My Fedoration battlecruisers will tip out the sun.

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

My Fedoration battlecruisers will tip out the sun.

That's how it starts. Then the sun has to tip out the planets, and the moons, and then the protoplanets start complaining and where does it end?

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Well, I've never seen a red bordered technology before, let's hover over it: "Dangerous Technology."

...Sentient AI. I think my galaxy just got more interesting.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    They are literally never going to stop fiddling with the ethics, are they?

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

The Sauce wrote: »

Suggested thread title: "Prep the Battleships, but keep it on the DL"

I'd also like to see fanatic ethos have different bonuses/factors than their regular counterpart, rather than just be bigger numbers.

Like Fanatic Xenophobes get a happiness boost when purging xenos, fanatic militarist start a faction that wants you to conquer neighboring empires that you should be able to beat. that sort of thing.
    Coinage wrote: »

They'll stop shortly after Stellaris 2 is released...

...Probably...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

I don't really see how they can stop. Ethics are incredibly tied into the game, and changes in one area can have really werid result. Like, Xenophiles for instance have ended up a fair bit weaker this patch.

Why?

Habitability changes! It's so much harder to setup migration treaties (Both participants need liveable planets) now that Xenophiles have lost one of of the best ways they had to build trust with other empires. It also means it's much, much harder to build the multi-pop planets that resulted in crazy happyness bonuses (Due to the xenophilia mod on pops). So they probably need their visitor centre buffed.

Meanwhile, those same changes mean that the already very powerful Fanatic Spirualist/Collectivist combo only got stronger - The early game's harder to get going, so every bit of food and minerals counts, and being able to forcibly integrate pops from different planets is all the more needeful

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
This discussion has been closed.