As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Stellaris] Utopia and the new social order of my fanatical purifiers!

PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
edited April 2017 in Games and Technology
http://www.stellarisgame.com/

PAUSABLE REAL-TIME STRATEGY WITH MULTIPLAYER SUPPORT
In stellaris, you can conquer the galaxy on your own, or contend with upwards of 32 players
Skdd3kG.png
https://youtu.be/KanCiSGxSKM

Some pictures spoiler-ed for big:
screenshot2-64b86a7a309583e9b73fd78977f5dd86.jpg
screenshot1-0548c1909d751324364145cabf87cc25.jpg

Buy it from many places such Steam or GreenManGaming or other places
Some other links:
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/
Discord: https://discord.gg/dc9CkWk

*more to come as i find things.

Pailryder on

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    If anyone has yet to buy this game, it's currently on sale at the Humble Store: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/paradox-halloween-sale/.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I just started playing a new campaign of this the other night, posted about meeting my new neighbors in the steam thread:
    LfcZAz8.jpg

They seem nice. Can't wait to murder them.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    From the last thread:
    Coinage wrote: »
    They are literally never going to stop fiddling with the ethics, are they?

I don't really see how they can stop. Ethics are incredibly tied into the game, and changes in one area can have really werid result. Like, Xenophiles for instance have ended up a fair bit weaker this patch.

Why?

Habitability changes! It's so much harder to setup migration treaties (Both participants need liveable planets) now that Xenophiles have lost one of of the best ways they had to build trust with other empires. It also means it's much, much harder to build the multi-pop planets that resulted in crazy happyness bonuses (Due to the xenophilia mod on pops). So they probably need their visitor centre buffed.

Meanwhile, those same changes mean that the already very powerful Fanatic Spirualist/Collectivist combo only got stronger - The early game's harder to get going, so every bit of food and minerals counts, and being able to forcibly integrate pops from different planets is all the more needeful

Well, Frontier Clinics can now be upgraded to Frontier Hospitals (now that the Hospital tech is no longer it's own prerequisite) for an extra +5 habitability. That + Visitor Center + pretty much any other hab bonus will get you to 40% on worlds outside that species' trio, which IIRC is enough to get aliens to move in.

Agree on the Spiritualist/Collectivist though, being able to have a massive empire where everyone is in lockstep with your ethos (especially being OK with slavery, purging and get relocated at your whim) helps with a lot of headaches... though it almost makes dealing with inter-empire politics a bit too easy.

Though, I'm having some fun right now with a Fanatic Materialist/Individualist empire that has an army of robots for all the mineral labor. Surely nothing will go wrong with that...

steam_sig.png
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Just started this game finally.

Am I not getting something or is this far more boring/slow than other 4X games in the early stages? I've just been playing on Fastest while I slowly accumulate enough ships to make a go at some of the clusters of enemies denying access to attractive systems. I have one neighbor who's rivaling me but who's weaker so I don't really care about them. I guess I could beat them up but I haven't felt a pressing need to do that either.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Welp, my Enigmatic Observer FE neighbour has finally roused from their state of slumber. Despite our previous +120 relations and our other shared neighbours being a bunch of imperialistic bastards they have deemed the Chillage of Slaath as too big for our britches and have declared war accordingly.

They've demanded the release of a vassal, whom I had actually liberated from the aforementioned imperialistic bastards (and was so close to integrating into my empire!); and three of my systems, one being my finest core system and another with a Garanthium asteroid which gives 10% to ship hitpoints...

I thought I might be able to take the fight to them when I noticed that one of the systems in their war demands was already fully fortified with an FTL trap and surrounding bomber fortresses. However even with the combined power of our federation fleets I barely managed to make a 15k scratch on their 100k+ main doomstack (though I did get some research out of small amount of debris they left).

As such, the war will most certainly end in their favour. So the plan now is just to delay them as long as possible to give me a chance to research some of their sweet, sweet tech before they can attack again after the post war armistice.

• BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Had a fun start thanks to using the randomize for names of my people: my neighbors are me. Or more precisely a long lost off-shoot of me, as they are the Klingons to my Vulcans in the appearance department. Same ships but they're warp based while I'm using wormholes. Slightly different ethics too, but in the ballpark enough that we hit it off from the start. Only issue is they also live on the same planet types, so it was a bit of a race off the bat for the appropriate worlds in our sparse section of a galactic arm (one I did not win out on, my control stretches further, but my worlds and systems are largely poorer quality). It doesn't matter though, for the Alari Technocracy (me) and the Alari Commonwealth (them) have rejoined in glorious federation. Now if only our galactic western path for expansion wasn't entirely blocked off by FEs.

It provides a nice little backstory for this run, at least.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    I really hope they change warscore requirements or how fast you accumulate it at some point. Earlygame, fighting between smaller empires it's fine. But currently half the galaxy is defense pacted and the other half is part of a federation united against. This means that every war I do to get 2-3 planets I need to occupy all the planets of my 3 next door neighbours, and then start occupying a few planets over on the other side on the galaxy before I get enough warscore to force my demands.

It gets kind of silly, since it means I am basically continually sitting on 10-15 planets around me, and just reconquering them for warscore every time a new war starts. There should be some kind of mechanic where if you occupy all an empires planets and have destroyed all their starbases you get some kind of boost to warscore, even if they have allies.

• skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So the new SHIP COMBAT META is apparently big ass cruisers and battleships with armor and no shields. And piles and piles of guns, ideally Kinetic Artillery, Mega Cannons, or Arc Emitters.

I can confirm that enough armor on a ship, ideally with regenerating armor, makes it effectively invincible for most situations. You probably want just a giant mass of cruisers and battleships, and put some point defense on the cruisers or some of the battleships, since bombers will ruin your day. This separates the damage between them enough that they've got a decent chance of regenerating it before taking more.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
    edited October 2016
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    I really hope they change warscore requirements or how fast you accumulate it at some point. Earlygame, fighting between smaller empires it's fine. But currently half the galaxy is defense pacted and the other half is part of a federation united against. This means that every war I do to get 2-3 planets I need to occupy all the planets of my 3 next door neighbours, and then start occupying a few planets over on the other side on the galaxy before I get enough warscore to force my demands.

It gets kind of silly, since it means I am basically continually sitting on 10-15 planets around me, and just reconquering them for warscore every time a new war starts. There should be some kind of mechanic where if you occupy all an empires planets and have destroyed all their starbases you get some kind of boost to warscore, even if they have allies.

Yeah, a total conquest war score bonus once you hold every planet of an empire would be nice. Having said that it would just exacerbate one particular issue with wars already in the game. That being you can make demands of planets from any empire in a defensive pact/federation, not bother taking a single planet of empire A, smash their smaller weaker allies B, C and D and then negotiate peace taking empire A's planets from them without ever having fired a single shot at one of their ships.

In an early version of the game, you had to at least be holding planets that you were trying to take. I believe they took it out since it was causing some bugs regarding unwinnable infinite wars.
    skyknyt wrote: »
    So the new SHIP COMBAT META is apparently big ass cruisers and battleships with armor and no shields. And piles and piles of guns, ideally Kinetic Artillery, Mega Cannons, or Arc Emitters.

I can confirm that enough armor on a ship, ideally with regenerating armor, makes it effectively invincible for most situations. You probably want just a giant mass of cruisers and battleships, and put some point defense on the cruisers or some of the battleships, since bombers will ruin your day. This separates the damage between them enough that they've got a decent chance of regenerating it before taking more.

I'm not sure if this was "meta" in previous versions, but I certainly had a lot of luck in single player with battleships with regen armour, regen field and the crystal plating armour (massive bonus to HP, which is what regens). Absolutely smushed even the biggest fleets from the Scourge with it.

Campy on
    The previous dominant meta was pretty stupid, involved super high evasion corvettes running circles around every other ship type.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    Tachyon Lance destroyers nuked everything in the old meta iirc.

And I can see how making demands of a strong empire and occupying a small one is a problem. But if they have a defensive pact they ought to come and defend them, not hang back and let them die horribly.

Lances aren't nearly as good now, since they're XL slot only.

Tycho wrote:
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Tachyon Lance destroyers nuked everything in the old meta iirc.

And I can see how making demands of a strong empire and occupying a small one is a problem. But if they have a defensive pact they ought to come and defend them, not hang back and let them die horribly.

Agreed, the proper solution is to sort out the war AI. There's only a few edge cases, like the one I mentioned, where it really becomes a problem though. Along with the fact that writing that kind of AI is a complete pig, I suspect that its not high on the queue for the Paradox devs at the moment.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    One thing I really need to do is custom-build a bunch of alien Civs so I can have a more vibrant bunch of folks in the Galaxy. The randomly-generated people kind of blur together because there's just not THAT much potential to have a truly unique empire since you all use the same resources and have broadly similar tech.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Just started this game finally.

Am I not getting something or is this far more boring/slow than other 4X games in the early stages? I've just been playing on Fastest while I slowly accumulate enough ships to make a go at some of the clusters of enemies denying access to attractive systems. I have one neighbor who's rivaling me but who's weaker so I don't really care about them. I guess I could beat them up but I haven't felt a pressing need to do that either.

Yeah, I play on fastest pretty much only because it takes awhile to get started.

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I still think if you manage to pull off actual total occupation you should be able to get something out of that other than two planets (not even systems!) and a humiliation; it makes the midgame pretty static unless you're really, really good at near-immediate war wins after each truce.
    Assuran wrote: »
    Yeah, I play on fastest pretty much only because it takes awhile to get started.

I play on Fastest in peacetime and Normal in wartime. (Fast again if I've managed to destroy the opponent's fleet and need to trudge through running up the warscore on blockades if I don't want to lower it through occupations.)

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    So I just had a crazy event chain where I found a facility with a bunch of my people cryofrozen along with a bunch of aliens.
    After following the clues I found a bunch of planets where primitive civilizations got wiped out by disasters. After some more research of the facility I got coordinates to a new system which was full of wreckage and a shielded planet where I met an AI that told me that they were basically the Asgardians and cloned themselves into sterility. Of their uplift projects apparently we're the only ones who made it. And I guess he joined my party because now I have a Cruiser named The Last Orila with Hyper Shields and a Titan Laser and more Military Power than my entire fleet at this point.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    edited October 2016
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    So I just had a crazy event chain where I found a facility with a bunch of my people cryofrozen along with a bunch of aliens.
    After following the clues I found a bunch of planets where primitive civilizations got wiped out by disasters. After some more research of the facility I got coordinates to a new system which was full of wreckage and a shielded planet where I met an AI that told me that they were basically the Asgardians and cloned themselves into sterility. Of their uplift projects apparently we're the only ones who made it. And I guess he joined my party because now I have a Cruiser named The Last Orila with Hyper Shields and a Titan Laser and more Military Power than my entire fleet at this point.

That sounds awesome.

What is your empire ethos? I find that there are a handful of event chains that tend to only show up with certain empires (like the space shrines one that always show up for my fanatic materialists)

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    HamHamJ wrote: »

That sounds awesome.

What is your empire ethos? I find that there are a handful of event chains that tend to only show up with certain empires (like the space shrines one that always show up for my fanatic materialists)

Militarist Collectivist Spiritualists.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    On the topic of events, just had Xcom trigger on one of the planets I am aggressively probing. Looking forward to seeing where it leads, although if they cause too much trouble I'll just invade the planet and purge them.

So the canon xcom ending kind of!

• CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    Are missiles awful now, or am I getting hosed due to the AI's bonuses? They seem to work fine when mounted on stations, but my actual ships just get turned into dust in all engagements. So far I've only been able to win wars by getting the AI to commit to a fight on top of a spaceport (which is not hard to arrange, as the war AI is extremely dumb).

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    this fleet penalty on federations makes me not a fan. why form a federation and give up 20% of my capacity when I can conquer you and give up nothing

Are missiles awful now, or am I getting hosed due to the AI's bonuses? They seem to work fine when mounted on stations, but my actual ships just get turned into dust in all engagements. So far I've only been able to win wars by getting the AI to commit to a fight on top of a spaceport (which is not hard to arrange, as the war AI is extremely dumb).

The AI loves the hell out of point defense, which is why strike craft and missiles are pretty crappy now.

If you're gonna use missiles you pretty much have to use Swarmers, because they can't miss and they can't be shot down.

Tycho wrote:
    edited October 2016
    All I know about upcoming 1.4 is this tweet, but I think it's already by favorite update:

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    That 20% goes towards the federation fleet cap. You don't pay maintenence for the fed fleet, plus you share the tech of all fed members on the fed fleet so you can build better ships than normal.

Only issue then is the wonky war AI...

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I still want the ability to just click on a planet -> colonize -> and have a list of all my Pops -> click on the one I want and have the damn colony ship build.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Axen wrote: »
    I still want the ability to just click on a planet -> colonize -> and have a list of all my Pops -> click on the one I want and have the damn colony ship build.

Yeah, playing hunt the parrot guy amongst all the planets you own, even on the planet list screen, is still a bit of a chore.

So in my current game the Fallen empire next to me Awoke and immediately called for me to join them. So I did.

Now at this point my empire was the biggest swinging dick around. A solid quarter of the whole 1000 star galaxy was mine. Everything else is patchwork empires/federations.

A year or two later the scourge show up. My awoken empire starts fighting them on their own.

Another fallen empire awakes, then a second.

First one tells everyone to join them to fight the galactic threat. A bunch of empires join.

The second tells everyone to join them or burn. A bunch of empires join.

Some dumbass tells everyone they're forming a non-aligned faction. No one joins. They proceed to declare war on everybody.

War in Heaven were declared.

So the galaxy is on fire right now, but in my sizable corner of it my awoken empire is just chilling. It is literally just my empire and my awoken empire in our own little faction. I guess I get to pick up the pieces when everyone destroys themselves. :razz:

• MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    I asked this on the last page of the last thread before it died. I'd be curious about what advice or updates would you all give to someone who played this when it was released but hasn't touched it in months? I was waiting until it got the Patented Paradox Patch Process going some. Things to be aware of that? Most useful tips? Fun play styles?

I'm thinking about firing this up while waiting for Civ 6 to get a little more refined. Wondering if there's a quick summary of what's changed since the initial release.

edited October 2016
    Massena wrote: »
    I asked this on the last page of the last thread before it died. I'd be curious about what advice or updates would you all give to someone who played this when it was released but hasn't touched it in months? I was waiting until it got the Patented Paradox Patch Process going some. Things to be aware of that? Most useful tips? Fun play styles?

I'm thinking about firing this up while waiting for Civ 6 to get a little more refined. Wondering if there's a quick summary of what's changed since the initial release.

4 major topics of change:

First is ethos and government types, there have been changes with pretty much every patch, with some of them bearing almost 0 resemblance to what they were with 1.0. You can find Ethos here and while not 100% up to date (Despotic Empire is now increased borders and reduced influence cost for colonies) you can see government types here

Second is habitability. Instead of the ring, worlds are now grouped into 3 categories; Wet (Continental, Ocean, and Tropical), Dry, (Arid, Desert and the new Savannah) and Cold (Tundra, Artic and the new Alpine). pops have 80% base habitability on worlds the same as their homeward, 60% on worlds of the same category, and 20% on ones that aren't the same. Pop needs have at least 40% habitability before it will move (or can be forced to move) to that planet. Terraforming, when you have the tech, can be done on any habitable planet in your borders that isn't colonized. Terraforming resources are no longer required (they just reduce cost) first tech lets you change it to any planet of that Category, second tech lets you change it to any of the base 9 world, 3rd tech lets you terraform tomb worlds, and the final rare tech lets you change them into Gaia Worlds

3rd is Diplomacy. If you want to cozy up to your neighbor, you first start with a guarantee independence promise, which will build Trust (which is basically extra positive opinon). Next step is the non-aggression pact, which has a higher trust cap, then Defensive Agreement, which can reach the max cap of 100. There are no more Alliances, you go straight to Federation, which can give other empires Association status for Alliance-like benefits without having to give them the keys to the federation fleet.

4th is Ships and weapons. Evasion and Tracking are new stats; Evasion increases the chance of a weapon missing, and tracking negates evasion, but does not affect the weapons base chance to hit. Ships modules have also been redone to give them roles that become more pronounced as you go up the tech tree. Corvettes are high-evasion and can be made carry torpedoes (which have their own dedicated weapon slot) to take out much larger ships and stations Destroyers are the anti-corvette, with bonus Tracking and the most possible Point Defense slots. Crusiers are flexible warships, with large anti-cruiser/battleships cannons, smaller anti-destroyer guns, as well a being the other ship that can take Torpedoes. Battleships are the behemoths that are designed to ruin Cruisers, stations and other Battleships, but lake the tracking to reliably hit corvettes.

Couple smaller things.

Wargoals. New ones are Become Tribuatiry (vassal-like state that gives you a % of their extra income, but can never be integrated) Humiliate (reduce their happiness and get a one-time influence boost) Stop Atrocities (force them to end slavery and purging, and get another influence boost) and Ban AI (destroys all their robot pops and prevent them from making more) You can also potentially invite 3rd party empires to join in the war even if you aren't in a federation.

Happiness. Habitability determines max happiness. 50%= content, every % below is -1% to productivity for everything but food, and every point above is .4% increase.

Awakened Fallen Empires: Even if you don't have Leviathans, Fallen Empires can wake up and do the whole "Join us or Die!" thing.

Strategic Resources. Batherian Stone and Xeno Pets are no longer Empire-Wide, but simply let you put a unique building on them. The others no longer have buildings or stations for them, instead give you an empire-wide bonus for the first one you get.

...and more stuff I can't recall right now.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2016
    Watching an Awoken Empire fight a galactic threat is fucking humbling.

50k Awoken fleet vs 80k scourge fleet. Awoken fleet wins and didn't even dip below 50k fleet power. :bigfrown:

edit- Seriously. Y'know in anime when someone fires a Big Laser in to a space fleet and then a second later a thousand ships blow up? That is what it looked like!

Axen on
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I am rapidly concluding that pacifist is dumb, and I can't see myself going pacifist ever again. You'll make friends more easily, sure, but depending on where you end up diplomacy may not actually be an option. For example, I started bordering two xenophobes, a hegemonic imperialist and a hive mind, none of which are particularly predisposed to being friends. I was able to befriend the imperialists and the hive mind eventually, but neither of them are ever likely to federate with me. Partly because of the natural inclination imperialists/hive minds have against alliances, and partly because we have different war philosophies (my "liberate only" vs their "unrestricted wars") which is a whopping -50 against federating. Now I could change my war philosophy to unrestricted since thankfully I'm not a fanatical pacifist... if I wanted to take a 10% happiness hit to my entire empire. And they still wouldn't actually federate with me.

I'm going to see how the rest of the game plays out though since it could be a lot worse, despite my lacklustre allies I actually had a really good starting location and had a lot of empty space to the east to colonise, so I did. Then I "liberated" part of one of the xenophobe empires to give myself A: Passage to the south for more colonisation and B: A vassal race who I could eventually use to settle all those arid and desert planets that I couldn't. You might think that spiritual xenophobes would make poor vassals for a materialist pacifist empire but thankfully they're also conformist so they're throwing away their space-racism pretty quickly and embracing space-atheism instead courtesy of my reeducation campaign.

Mr Ray on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    I always go spiritualist. population growth = more of everything. plus you have no annoying opposing viewpoints popping up

Axen wrote: »
    Watching an Awoken Empire fight a galactic threat is fucking humbling.

50k Awoken fleet vs 80k scourge fleet. Awoken fleet wins and didn't even dip below 50k fleet power. :bigfrown:

edit- Seriously. Y'know in anime when someone fires a Big Laser in to a space fleet and then a second later a thousand ships blow up? That is what it looked like!

The AI *looooooooves* anti missile/fighter modules. The scourge is all missiles/fighters unless the last update changed them.

Still a cool sight, but there is a pretty boring explanation! (This is also why kinetics/lasers utterly ruin AI fleets, they waste so many slots on anti missile and fighter stuff)

So I traded star maps with someone who had investigated a ring world. Does this now prevent me from surveying these ring worlds myself and gaining the living metal research they give?

Tycho wrote:
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    So I traded star maps with someone who had investigated a ring world. Does this now prevent me from surveying these ring worlds myself and gaining the living metal research they give?

I don't know that they changed this in a recent patch, but when I last played it was typically not a good idea to trade star maps as you could no longer survey those stars and thus could not get survey events from them.

• RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    My current run is an attempt at the federation win condition, and it has been terrible for exploring. Best as I can tell I get full survey data from everyone in the federation, and aside from the occasional debris scanning my science ships have mostly been cooling their heels for a hundred plus years.

Maybe this is just how they have always worked though, I haven't really messed with either alliances or federations since right after release and could easily have forgotten.

• ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

I don't know that they changed this in a recent patch, but when I last played it was typically not a good idea to trade star maps as you could no longer survey those stars and thus could not get survey events from them.

Ugh! Without automated surveying that would be such a pita.

steam_sig.png
  • MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Thanks Foefaller. Super helpful.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    My federation doesn't like the idea of my taking over planets of a nearby system. They are totally ok when I propose for another war for one of them to gain systems. Considering I'm more powerful than both combined and won 2 wars for them, I am wondering why I bother with these folks to begin with.