As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Man, I am a huge coward. Like, I'm watching horror LPs on YouTube and I had to go upstairs to smoke and I had to give myself a pep talk like "TONY YOU ARE A GROWN ASS MAN YOU'RE 26 YEARS OLD STOP BEING A WUSS" and I still had those moments of having my back turned to a dark room where my whole body was like FUCK, RUN, WE'RE DOOOOOMED!

• TamTam Registered User regular
    Man, I am a huge coward. Like, I'm watching horror LPs on YouTube and I had to go upstairs to smoke and I had to give myself a pep talk like "TONY YOU ARE A GROWN ASS MAN YOU'RE 26 YEARS OLD STOP BEING A WUSS" and I still had those moments of having my back turned to a dark room where my whole body was like FUCK, RUN, WE'RE DOOOOOMED!

yup, anytime I walk into the dark, there is always a horrifying evil thing about to kill me
    just learned to suppress the panic

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Plus my bedroom is in the goddamn basement (and we all know basement stairs are inherently the spookiest shit) and then also on the other side of our utility room with our water heater and stuff and uuugh it's the worst

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I'm glad I was raised with shitty electricity and candles. Now I live in a town, and it's never particularly dark outside. Dark enough to make me sleepy, but the only thing I can't see is letters. Well, and stars, unfortunately.

I used to spend some time after school alone in a little foggy, abandoned mini-town. Nobody was out and about while the locals were at work in bigger cities. It was pretty quiet and desaturated.

PLA on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I've conditioned myself out of most of my childhood fears but when I walk around at night I sometimes can't help but envision walking into the living room or kitchen, rounding the corner and not noticing the gaunt, deadly, humanoid creature that is standing perfectly still and observing me with starving eyes until I'm too far into the room to get to the door before it's on me.

Over time I've simply partitioned that thought process into an isolated brain zone so it won't trigger my flight or fight response.

I still feel that button being pressed, though and the trickle of adrenaline that manages to get by the filter.

• HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    That first one was worthwhile imo. I've watched the others and they are just not very good.

I've only seen VHS 2 and, yeah, it kinda sucked

There's some decent ideas for horror in there that were just really handled poorly.

Except for the part with the zombies and the GoPro camera, which was amazing.

vEaRQgH.png
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    I've conditioned myself out of most of my childhood fears but when I walk around at night I sometimes can't help but envision walking into the living room or kitchen, rounding the corner and not noticing the gaunt, deadly, humanoid creature that is standing perfectly still and observing me with starving eyes until I'm too far into the room to get to the door before it's on me.

Over time I've simply partitioned that thought process into an isolated brain zone so it won't trigger my flight or fight response.

I still feel that button being pressed, though and the trickle of adrenaline that manages to get by the filter.

Plus you wear your proton pack wherever you go, so you're safe

Joolander wrote: »

Plus you wear your proton pack wherever you go, so you're safe

Well, it's in the guest bedroom. If I don't charge the power cells I feel vulnerable. They only have a half-life of 5,000 years.

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Yo that Go Pro zombie scene is incredible

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Did anybody see that Siren movie that was based on the "Amateur Night" segment of VHS?

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I found myself a little disappointed with the first two vhs movies, though they still have some ideas there. But man the third is such an awful piece of shit that I actually kind of like it

edit: Oh yeah that Siren thing is straight up expanding from the short huh. The segment I liked best from the first was the one with the weird glitchy killer out in the woods and the girl trying to fight him.

Hybrid on
    Yeah the glitch was another great one

The third VHS is definitely so bad that it's good

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Personally I found the second VHS way better than the first, especially the segment with the cult. It got so insane it walked itself around and became amazing.

Though I'm still bitter over the final segment where they had to go and show us
    a closeup of a dying dog.

Fuck that so hard, and fuck whoever thought that was a good idea

I shut off the third VHS after exactly five minutes. It looked every bit as stupid as people described.

• OricalmOricalm MDRegistered User regular
    Was it VHS 2 or 3 that had the segment with the magician's cloak? I thought that one had a lot of promise, as an idea.

Also, for any of you podcast and spooky fans out there, I can't recommend "The Black Tapes" enough. I stumbled across it a week ago and tore through both seasons currently available.

Xbox Live: Oricalm
    I've been Patreon-funding LORE since I first started listening to it, even though the quality has waned.

I have to say, his bonus episodes are better than the main ones by a long shot. He keeps them to around 5-10 minutes and doesn't ramble on trying to contextualize the story with a lot of awkward pausing.

Yeah man the alien segment from VHS 2 is fucking terrifying. That shit is, like.... Whoof.

Those aliens were clearly a bunch of dicks. Not like space-naturalists, or anything.

Oricalm wrote: »
    Was it VHS 2 or 3 that had the segment with the magician's cloak? I thought that one had a lot of promise, as an idea.

Pretty sure that was 3. I would agree but I think that honestly the idea is much much better as a short

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited October 2016
    Last night I had a dream about a man with skin where his eyes should be whispering in my ear about things I didn't really understand.

Then I woke up and my cat was sleeping on my pillow purring right next to my head.

Way to make my dreams weird, Halo.

Metzger Meister on
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    a sleeping car named Halo is creepy

Xehalus on
    You saw nothing.

Just like the guy in my dreams.

Man, I just found out about the director of Jeepers Creepers 3, and I am way less excited for that movie now.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Last night I had a dream about a man with skin where his eyes should be whispering in my ear about things I didn't really understand.

Then I woke up and my cat was sleeping on my pillow purring right next to my head.

Way to make my dreams weird, Halo.

You don't need to worry. There's no man with skin covering his eyes who can go anywhere he wants who whispers terrible secrets around.

Anymore, I mean.

He was killed by a Scottish engineer back in 2015.

Man, I just found out about the director of Jeepers Creepers 3, and I am way less excited for that movie now.

Same creep who made the first two?

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular

I still haven't finished playing SOMA.

That god damn disco man level sure was a thing that I encountered.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

GR_Zombie wrote: »

Yeah. I think from what I've read that the studio replaced him when all that stuff went public, and the movie is on schedule for release next year, so. I'll probably still end up seeing it.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular

Yeah. I think from what I've read that the studio replaced him when all that stuff went public, and the movie is on schedule for release next year, so. I'll probably still end up seeing it.
    The Creeper is a pretty awesome addition to the movie monster pantheon, it's a real shame the series is kind of tainted at its core by that guy's involvement.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    "I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House" any good? Seems it was added recently on Netflix.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Is the Creeper part of the pantheon of movie monsters?
    I don't get the impression anyone remembers those movies

I remember that I didn't like them very much.

Jeepers Creepers is much beloved by fans of the genre and almost no one else.

There was some neat stuff in there.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Spooky story time!

• hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    "I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House" any good? Seems it was added recently on Netflix.

I watched it yesterday and thought it was pretty boring and a bit full of itself...but it was ok. I could see other people liking it more than I did.

• TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    So we ended up watching these two films

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kXpUaQpXMA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Em0uf1Ktg

They were both great for entirely different reasons

Goodnight Mommy was disturbing, and had a kind of quiet dread to it

Resolution had a plot and an ending that made you THINK. It really reminded me of BioShock.

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
    What's scarier than a children? Two childs.

YOOOO THE HALLOWEEN GOOGLE DOODLE IS AMAZING

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    We absolutely hated Goodnight Mommy. It started out great and then tanked REALLY hard.

I watched Last Shift on Netfilx and have to say it was pretty good. The scares and atmosphere was top notch, the story was kind of eh and the ending blowed goats but overall definitely worth a watch.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Is the Creeper part of the pantheon of movie monsters?
    I don't get the impression anyone remembers those movies

I thought the monster was amazingly creepy. The movies were ok with the second being worse.

It was nice to see horror films so jam packed with homoeroticism for a change until I learned the director was a pedophile.

I don't think so; that stuff went public well before the first film was even done. He's still on as director for the third from what I can find

Magic Pink on