As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo 3DS] Looks like everyone's favorite handheld finally gets to retire.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    TamerBill wrote: »
    this "X means cross" thing is always super weird to me, as a foreigner.

It did mean I went through most of The Thousand Year Door without realising that 'X-Nauts' was supposed to be a pun.

I only just got this.

I still don't. What is a cross naut? Is it supposed to reference croissant or something?

Cross Naut

Naught Cross

Naughts and Crosses

Which I believe you foreign types call tic-tac-toe.

... Right, so Ex Nauts then.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    So much effort towards figuring it out, and it was all for Naut.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Wynaut try harder?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Is anyone else disappointed they can't play SNES content on their existing 3ds or 3dsXL?

Cuz I am.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Well, they had to do something with the extra horsepower. Supposedly, the SNES emulator didn't run quite well enough on the original 3DS hardware.

• Options
    Khraul wrote: »
    Is anyone else disappointed they can't play SNES content on their existing 3ds or 3dsXL?

Cuz I am.

It was reason enough to upgrade from my view. And now my New 3DS and old one Streetpass everyday.

• Options
    I'm so tempted to upgrade, but it's such a hard trigger to pull when I have an host of emulated SNES games on my PC.

That galaxy 3ds looks gorgeous too.
    Dirty wrote: »
    Well, they had to do something with the extra horsepower. Supposedly, the SNES emulator didn't run quite well enough on the original 3DS hardware.

I had read that the 3DSXL didn't have the power to push through SNES games. It's hard to believe I can play monster hunter or Ocarina of time, but I can't play Super Mario World.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    It's super old by now, but I dug up an article about accuracy in SNES emulation and why it can take, like, 3GHz to do it right. If Nintendo is prioritizing accuracy over anything else, I can see why they can't cram one of those into a regular 3DS.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    I'm so tempted to upgrade, but it's such a hard trigger to pull when I have an host of emulated SNES games on my PC.

That galaxy 3ds looks gorgeous too.
    Dirty wrote: »

I had read that the 3DSXL didn't have the power to push through SNES games. It's hard to believe I can play monster hunter or Ocarina of time, but I can't play Super Mario World.

It's one thing to code a game from scratch for a piece of hardware. It's an entirely other thing to emulate another architecture on that hardware.

Remember, the key word here is emulate. It may be hard to believe, but believe it. It takes a shocking amount of power to emulate a SNES.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    These are good points... I'd assumed they'd be ports, but in actuality it's running an emulator isnt' it?

(I also don't know the difference between ports and emulation and if any difference would be applicable for 3ds hardware)

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    My understanding (which admittedly isn't much) is that a port requires modifying the game to run on a different platform, while emulation is basically making a fake SNES and using the game as-is.

• Options
    Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Porting means rebuilding the game in such a way that it'll run on other hardware. Emulating means you don't touch the game itself at all, but build a shell around it that does everything the original environment did, and then translate that to the new hardware.

So yeah, porting should be much easier on the hardware. The GBA had some SNES ports, if I remember correctly. That's ... 2½ (?) generations ago. (GBA -> DS -> 3DS -> n3DS. Not counting the DSi, just like we'd probably also not count the n3DS if there was a dedicated handheld successor instead of the Switch. Not really sure how to count that one, probably in the home console line?)

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Well then I need some SNES ports stat!

Or to find a decent snes/nes controller for my PC to get my SNES fix in.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Hoorah Rhythmn Heaven is out over here finally!

I absolutely love these games ever since I got the GBA import, but this is the first time since then that I'm back to the perfect precise button inputs required to master this thing. The DS game had touch screen input which drove me mad at times, and I could never quite eliminate the screen lag from my TV on the Wii version.

P,P,P,Punch!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Frem wrote:
    OS X has been compatible with Windows network shares (aka SMB shares) for ages, Nintendo just didn't write any docs for it.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204445

I tried it last year shortly after receiving my N3DS and it would never connect. Has Nintendo fixed OS X compatibility in a system update?

Just to note, with OS 10.6 or so, Apple dropped the actual licensed working SMB model and decided to save some money and create their own version. Their support has been super crappy but getting slightly better with each new OS release, still not quite there. So, yes, some stuff to blame Nintendo for on this, but it's mostly an issue with Apple completely dropping the ball here.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    There's something brutal and elegant about the Rhythm Heaven games. There's no worry about complex fingering like for the harder Guitar Hero rounds, there's no Simon Says memorization like Space Channel 5, and no wrist-breaking or screen-busting stylus action like EBA/Ouendan. All it gives a shit about is rhythm, and it tells you exactly how bad you are.

Also I found the DS Rhythm Heaven game charmingly passive aggressive with how it tackled perfects. Like, you could only get a perfect score on a stage on the game's terms. You'd be bopping along and suddenly you'd get a little alert that Space Soccer 2 was open to the challenge. You could ignore the quiet taunt, or you could dive in, and you'd get three tries at a perfect score. And then, win or lose, the little alert would go away, maybe forever.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    Frem wrote:
    OS X has been compatible with Windows network shares (aka SMB shares) for ages, Nintendo just didn't write any docs for it.

I tried it last year shortly after receiving my N3DS and it would never connect. Has Nintendo fixed OS X compatibility in a system update?

Just to note, with OS 10.6 or so, Apple dropped the actual licensed working SMB model and decided to save some money and create their own version. Their support has been super crappy but getting slightly better with each new OS release, still not quite there. So, yes, some stuff to blame Nintendo for on this, but it's mostly an issue with Apple completely dropping the ball here.

As a guy who has to ride herd on a bunch of Mac servers, I can confirm this. I think it was actually dumping the open source SMB implementation they were using in favor of writing their own, but it went absolutely to heck from 10.7 through 10.9. 10.10 and newer have been pretty good but that was like three years of pain.

"Hey, why can't user A copy a file to server B?"
    "because it's over a gig and they're on Windows 7. Set compatibility mode for NT 4.0 servers and it will copy"
    "But that breaks x, y, and z!"
    "Blame Cupertino. I do."

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    Frem wrote:

As a guy who has to ride herd on a bunch of Mac servers, I can confirm this. I think it was actually dumping the open source SMB implementation they were using in favor of writing their own, but it went absolutely to heck from 10.7 through 10.9. 10.10 and newer have been pretty good but that was like three years of pain.

"Hey, why can't user A copy a file to server B?"
    "because it's over a gig and they're on Windows 7. Set compatibility mode for NT 4.0 servers and it will copy"
    "But that breaks x, y, and z!"
    "Blame Cupertino. I do."

I mean, it doesn't work with the actually pretty decent open source implementation on Linux either. There's more than enough blame for everyone in this scenario.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    YggiDee wrote: »
    There's something brutal and elegant about the Rhythm Heaven games. There's no worry about complex fingering like for the harder Guitar Hero rounds, there's no Simon Says memorization like Space Channel 5, and no wrist-breaking or screen-busting stylus action like EBA/Ouendan. All it gives a shit about is rhythm, and it tells you exactly how bad you are.

Also I found the DS Rhythm Heaven game charmingly passive aggressive with how it tackled perfects. Like, you could only get a perfect score on a stage on the game's terms. You'd be bopping along and suddenly you'd get a little alert that Space Soccer 2 was open to the challenge. You could ignore the quiet taunt, or you could dive in, and you'd get three tries at a perfect score. And then, win or lose, the little alert would go away, maybe forever.

That was how it worked in the GBA game as well. They do always come back eventually.

I got every single one of those perfects.

Then I deleted my save data so I could start over getting them all again.

Hardcore.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I got all the perfects in the DS game but on the Wii the slight lag from my TV even after I turned off/on everything I could to lower the lag was enough to stymie perfects on a bunch of courses (monkey clock, I'm looking at you!).

• Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    Oon cha, ooncha ooncha, oon cha, ooncha ooncha.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Had never heard of Rhythm Heaven before so I checked a youtube video...

...looks interesting...

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    There's a demo, it's great

• Options
    H*RH*R Registered User regular
    Lots of Animal Crossing on sale today at Best Buy. At these prices I'll probably pick up HHD and Amiibo Festival.

Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    My friend just got his girlfriend and himself Animal Crossing, so I got to be The Rich Friend this weekend when I visited. It was really fun.

Now I am tempted to completely re-organize my town into a lush paradise instead of my current "idk man why not here?" hodgepodge array.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Kinda weird that they're not talking about the mobile game at all. I know that Super Mario Run is out first and they wanna focus on that, but still.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    then lets hope MHS comes to NA because I am really tempted to get the amiibo for it right now

• Options
  • Options
    Miitopia direct (Japanese obviously)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iB-pnZc4DI

Details:

- embark on an adventure with your friends in this RPG
    - total of 12 classes: Warrior, Mage, Priest, Thief, Idol, Cook, Imp, Cat, Tank and the final 3 are still hidden
    - Demon Lord has stolen people's faces and you have to take them back
    - Battles are turn based. Defeating monsters allows you to return faces to people
    - relationships between your characters changes the way they battle
    - fights can break out between your party members, and romantic relationships can occur
    - interactions during battles (such as one character taking a hit for another) affect relationships between Miis
    - one of the fun aspects of Miitopia is that the behavior of your friends might not reflect their real life personalities
    - choose your Miis personalities which affect their behavior: Kind, Energetic, Dopey, Stubborn, Carefree, Cautious and Cool
    - rest at the Inn and Miis can visit other Miis rooms and interact with each other
    - heroine's love interest gives her a present, but... it's a centipede picture book. She says "she wanted one for ages"
    - party members also have requests, like asking money for a dagger. She gave him the money and he returns with a banana
    - staying at another Miis room can also improve relationships. In the video two characters train and improve their bond
    - can also eat at the inn. Character stats change depending on the food. Stats are: HP, MP, Attack, Magic, Defense, Speed
    - ALL characters are Mii set by the player, including the king, princess, townspeople, etc
    - mentions ability to download other people's uploaded Miis if you are connected to the internet
    - players can up/download created Miis using wifi. Popular Miis (decided via voting) can suddenly pop up during your journey as NPCs
    - support items come in the form of "sprinkles". Basically you sprinkle magical powder on Miis to recover HP and MP
    - move Miis to a "safe space" if they're in a pinch. Example: Mii gets Convulsive Laughter status effect. Move him & he'll recover
    - take screenshots whenever you want. Battles are recorded, so if you miss your Kodak moment, you can rewatch & take pics & later
    - touch an amiibo and you receive a corresponding costume in-game. 26 characters in total supported

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Why am I just now hearing that a new Blaster Master game is coming to the eShop next year?

http://inticreates.com/blaster-master-zero-3ds/

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Why am I just now hearing that a new Blaster Master game is coming to the eShop next year?

I was afraid for that URL being what it is, that Inti Creates making it would mean they'd go full HAM on the anime. But it looks like they're actually keeping the gameplay pretty faithful to the original.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

I was afraid for that URL being what it is, that Inti Creates making it would mean they'd go full HAM on the anime. But it looks like they're actually keeping the gameplay pretty faithful to the original.

Heck, even the graphics look pretty close to the original.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I was kind of amazed Inti Creates managed to buy the property wholesale, but it's not as if Sunsoft was doing anything with it. Or anything at all, really.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular

Sorry, I just kinda need to have a sit down.

It's got me in the feels.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    8bitogre8bitogre San Antonio, TXRegistered User regular
    Question for someone needing a new console - I decided to pick up a New 3DS for some games. Is it worth just buying now, or should I wait for some deals for Black Friday? Looking at trends it doesn't look like the system tends to go down in price very much if at all. I know the Switch is going to be the new hotness, but I really need something smaller and light.

• Options
    8bitogre wrote: »
    Question for someone needing a new console - I decided to pick up a New 3DS for some games. Is it worth just buying now, or should I wait for some deals for Black Friday? Looking at trends it doesn't look like the system tends to go down in price very much if at all. I know the Switch is going to be the new hotness, but I really need something smaller and light.

Might as well wait. The deals will be known pretty soon (many of them are already).