As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Booster Gold: The retcon you've never heard of!

Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now.Outpost 31Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Graphic Violence
I'm really enjoying the new Booster Gold series. It's a fun, well-written, and well-drawn book. And Jonah Hex was in the third issue. But I've just finished the #4 and
Rip Hunter and Booster Gold are going back in time to stop the Joker from shooting Barbara Gordon in the back? She wasn't supposed to become Oracle? Didn't that happen almost 20 years ago? WTF?

Does anyone else think that Booster Gold might become a way for DC to further retcon the canon if someone thinks that it would be cool to bring someone back? Will Booster Gold be a vehicle for the resurrection of the month? And, most importantly, will Booster Gold ever get over the hangover he gave himself attempting to drink Jonah Hex under the table?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
Descendant X on

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oracle is too embedded in continuity to not happen.

Fencingsax on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The Zero Issue is such a fantastic idea.

Sars_Boy on
  • RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Booster just needs to get drunk with a different male character in every issue

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2007
    They aren't retcons. He hasn't changed anything; the book has just shown that he's responsible for everything

Garlic Bread on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    They aren't retcons. He hasn't changed anything; the book has just shown that he's responsible for everything

Jesus Keith. I start my own thread that's actually about a comic and not just asking for help, and you blow it out of the water.

Thanks a bunch. ;-)

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2007
    Look I'm just saying. I mean, if he succeeds in saving Barbara, it's a retcon

but more likely than not he'll end up being responsible for her getting paralyzed

Garlic Bread on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. Mind you, Rip did say that she's not supposed to be paralyzed...

Descendant X on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

but more likely than not he'll end up being responsible for her getting paralyzed

I think Booster Gold being responsible for the rape and paralysis of Batgirl is just too dark a turn for the series.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    God, such great lines.

"That whiskey saved Superman."

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

I think Booster Gold being responsible for the rape and paralysis of Batgirl is just too dark a turn for the series.

She wasn't raped

Bloods End on
    edited November 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »

She wasn't raped

It was pretty strongly implied by the photos of her nude and screaming. I also think there was a hint in the scene between her and Batman, though I don't have the story on hand.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »

She wasn't raped

It was pretty strongly implied by the photos of her nude and screaming. I also think there was a hint in the scene between her and Batman, though I don't have the story on hand.

She wasn't raped

Bloods End on
    edited November 2007
    Indirectly causing the paralysis and subsequent forced disrobing of Batgirl is still pretty bad.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's just a good premise for a time traveling book.

I think it's going to end up like in those other time traveling stories, in any format, where they go back to World War II and have a chance to kill Hitler. But they don't, because they realize it's not their place to make that kind of decision and that they have to allow these horrible things to happen.

I don't think it's going to go down exactly like that in booster gold, but I think they'll allow the paralysis of Batgirl to go untouched for some kind of greater good.

Lux on
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I havent had a chance to read the last two issues but it looks like the take home lesson for Booster is going to go against changing the past because of the effects it would have on the present. I think in the end he will realize that bringing back Ted wouldn't necessarily be a good thing and as much as he misses him, he won't save him from death.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
    edited November 2007
    Lux wrote: »
    It's just a good premise for a time traveling book.

I think it's going to end up like in those other time traveling stories, in any format, where they go back to World War II and have a chance to kill Hitler. But they don't, because they realize it's not their place to make that kind of decision and that they have to allow these horrible things to happen.

Except in Booster Gold it would be more like Booster saying to Rip, "Why would someone want to exterminate all the Jews?" while a young hitler sits by and smiles at the idea

Garlic Bread on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Indirectly causing the paralysis and subsequent forced disrobing of Batgirl is still pretty bad.

Wasn't she coming out of the shower when the Joker knocked on the door? I seem to recall that, although it was a long time ago.

For some reason, the Joker seems to be beyond things like rape... I mean, come on, he's no Dr. Light...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited November 2007
    Sentry wrote: »

Wasn't she coming out of the shower when the Joker knocked on the door? I seem to recall that, although it was a long time ago.

For some reason, the Joker seems to be beyond things like rape... I mean, come on, he's no Dr. Light...

kj1.gif

kj.gif

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited November 2007

kj1.gif

kj.gif

Um... well, maybe she showers in a sundress?

Fuck it... I lose.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Joker didn't rape her, but he did take her clothes off and put her in various poses after he shot her in order to take pictures with which to try and drive Gordon insane.

Which didn't work.

Spectre-x on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    Joker didn't rape her, but he did take her clothes off and put her in various poses after he shot her in order to take pictures with which to try and drive Gordon insane.

Which didn't work.

Then Joker and Batman had a good laugh about it afterwards.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You also saw Gordon's dick shaft in the comic

Algertman on
    edited November 2007
    getting my copy out right now

Garlic Bread on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    He means Gotham City Police Department Lieutenant Richard Shaft, clearly.

Furu on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Even though she wasn't raped (given how Joker can completely ignore Harley, even when she's draped over him, I don't think the man has a working penis), I'd think that from a psychological standpoint getting shot, paralyzed, stripped, and posed for pictures by an evil clown has got to be just as bad.

Scooter on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    As much as I love Booster Gold, how can he ever actually fail? They have a time machine. They know what needs to be done. They mess up, just hop back in and try again. I try to ignore time travel paradoxes and what not, but the fact still stands. No way they should "fail" at fixing anything unless the time machine breaks.

KVW on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

So you're saying she was supposed to jump out of the way of the bullet but Booster Gold was hidden behind the scenes holding her still with a futuristic freeze-o beam of some kind?

emnmnme on
    edited November 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »

So you're saying she was supposed to jump out of the way of the bullet but Booster Gold was hidden behind the scenes holding her still with a futuristic freeze-o beam of some kind?

Oh, I hadn't realized you'd read the comic already. Care to tell the rest of us what happened?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »

Oh, I hadn't realized you'd read the comic already. Care to tell the rest of us what happened?

3 way high five.

Freeze Frame.

Don't You.

Forget About Me.

Don't Don't Don't Don't.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    KVW wrote: »
    As much as I love Booster Gold, how can he ever actually fail? They have a time machine. They know what needs to be done. They mess up, just hop back in and try again. I try to ignore time travel paradoxes and what not, but the fact still stands. No way they should "fail" at fixing anything unless the time machine breaks.
    Since the preceding idea was that Booster needed to go back and save Ted, I have a feeling this is Rip way of showing Booster that going back in time and screwing with things never works out.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    Even though she wasn't raped (given how Joker can completely ignore Harley, even when she's draped over him, I don't think the man has a working penis), I'd think that from a psychological standpoint getting shot, paralyzed, stripped, and posed for pictures by an evil clown has got to be just as bad.

No, I'm pretty sure if he did all the the above, and then raped her, it would be a lot, lot worse.

Inquisitor on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Being raped is worse than not being raped?

This is a shocking development!

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man they need SOME way to bring Ted back I mean they revived all these heroes I don't care about over the years. At least give me some Ted+Booster action!

Bucketman on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Man they need SOME way to bring Ted back I mean they revived all these heroes I don't care about over the years. At least give me some Ted+Booster action!

That would be Booster Gold #0.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm still calling Rip is Ted. I mean
    Black Canary replacing Babs isn't an earth shaking development, and is, really, a sign that time corrects itself sometimes. Saving her wouldn't necessarily change much, except that babs is healthy, or so we would be led to believe. As it's been pointed out, it'd even be in the negatives. So why do it if not a personal gain, like the woman he loved?

Dex Dynamo on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ted's smart, but is he time-master smart?

I don't know guys.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
    edited November 2007
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    Black Canary replacing Babs isn't an earth shaking development, and is, really, a sign that time corrects itself sometimes. Saving her wouldn't necessarily change much, except that babs is healthy, or so we would be led to believe. As it's been pointed out, it'd even be in the negatives. So why do it if not a personal gain, like the woman he loved?

We don't really know how things would have been different if Babs hadn't been forced to retire as Batgirl. Maybe she could have saved Stephanie and, together with her and Tim, formed the best Justice League ever.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »

We don't really know how things would have been different if Babs hadn't been forced to retire as Batgirl. Maybe she could have saved Stephanie and, together with her and Tim, formed the best Justice League ever.

That's true. Maybe the extended Birds of Prey are supposed to be the Justice League?

Dex Dynamo on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    bobgorila wrote: »
    Ted's smart, but is he time-master smart?

I don't know guys.

Ted has, over the course of numerous series created:

-a handheld gun that can fell a charging rhino with the power of wind

-a silent-running ship shaped like a bug, powered off of solar energy, that can traverse land, air, water and (with a few modifications) space

-a hard light training room ala the Danger Room for the Birds of Prey

-replicas of Mr. Miracle's high tech flying footpad things

-a liquid nanobot suit for Booster Gold

He's also shown proficiency with advanced future tech from Booster's time, alien technology, and New Gods tech. In Superman: Birthright, Lex Luthor was convinced that Superman was not actually invincible, but using a forcefield engineered by Kord Omniversal. In JLA: Year One, the JLA approached Ted to design their security system. Despero, a proficient mind-reader, claimed that the strength of Ted's mind was second only to fellow Leaguer J'onn J'onnz. The dude had smarts.

Now, he's also been portrayed as a bumbling mechanic who could hardly keep his tech working, but I prefer to think of him as a mega genius who just had some horrible ADD, and never really found a way to focus long enough to realize his potential.

Munch on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    KVW wrote: »

That would be so awesome, because you know at some point he'd get into a fistfight with himself for, 'doing it wrong.'

Gabriel_Pitt on