As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Prioritas

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited October 2016 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Prioritas

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    lol Yeah Tycho is me when it comes to games like that. I prefer to encourage culture and then my cities get wiped off the planet.

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    that's the most un-Gabe Gabe-face i've seen in a long time.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Having cities inherently have their own defenses was one of the better changes that the series made.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I always play on the Pangaea map type because I hate "wasting" all that research time on boats and naval tech. So I just avoid it altogether.

• flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    I recently played a game of Sim City 2000 where I tried to lower crime by building more schools, libraries, and museums instead of building police stations. I was not successful. Will Wright doesn't respect my glorious progressive utopia :(

y59kydgzuja4.png
    I've always wanted to see mechanics where someone can conquer all of your cities and within a few dozen turns you've stolen control of their empire from them.

• FalhawkFalhawk Registered User regular
    another style change :\

I still like the style of two changes ago

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    the only complaint i have about this art style choice is Tycho's forehead

motherfucker looks like Athena is about to crack out of his skull

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Kind of reminds me of PvP somehow.

pvp20090731.gif

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I recently played a game of Sim City 2000 where I tried to lower crime by building more schools, libraries, and museums instead of building police stations. I was not successful. Will Wright doesn't respect my glorious progressive utopia :(

sounds about right. Utopia is a pipe dream and one to aspire to, but people respond and obey this police man more readily than these police men

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I always start my Civ games thinking like Tycho, trying to build up my city, create settlements, make trade agreements...then I get bored and just start conquering any city state I can find.

LostNinja on
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    poipoigirl wrote: »
    lol Yeah Tycho is me when it comes to games like that. I prefer to encourage culture and then my cities get wiped off the planet.

I have tried so, so very hard to win in a civ game by anything except burning the world to ashes around me. All the way back to civ 2.

So I have enough army to deter an invasion, but eventually the invaders are just too persistent - they can rebuild fast enough that wiping out their front line forces doesn't convince them to surrender. So I take a few of their border cities to drive the point home.

Then I find myself boxed in and being edged out in progress, so I pick a weak neighbor and trim off a few more cities, maybe the whole place.

Then I say fuck it, this game is taking too long anyway and I do something irresponsible like firing nukes or invading my allies unprovoked because GODDAMNIT YOU JUST WON'T LET ME BUILD MY SPACE SHIP WILL YOU FUCKS?

I did keep a game of Civ 2 going for a few decades after conquering the world except for one tiny Celtic town crowded out of land by the sprawling megalopolises surrounding it which I refused to just burn to the ground because I promised myself that just this once I would win without turning the world into some kind of horrific dystopia.

I mean, it was still a horrific dystopia, but a bunch of people got to leave it for Alpha Centauri, so win some lose some.

I'm not 100% sure I'm the series is "for" me.

Hevach on
  • Hugh B. HayveHugh B. Hayve Registered User regular
    I haven't even played V yet and now Civ 6 is out. The reviews sound positive. I still play 3 sometimes only because it had a good map editor. I'll probably get 6 because I like the series.

• ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I have trouble with strategy games and with anything involving multitasking. It makes me anxious. I don't think I'm stupid by any means but I've never been good with anything like math or at games like chess. I'm very good at games like Portal and Mah Jong though. Not sure why some complicated things frustrate me yet other equally as complicated in a different way things don't.

ziddersroofurry on
    I have trouble with strategy games and with anything involving multitasking. It makes me anxious. I don't think I'm stupid by any means but I've never been good with anything like math or at games like chess. I'm very good at games like Portal and Mah Jong though. Not sure why some complicated things frustrate me yet other equally as complicated in a different way things don't.

My first initial ranking match for Starcraft 2 involved me doing reasonably well right up to the point where I told my opponent I wasn't having any fun and surrendered. That was also my last match.

I'm actually pretty good at math. I just don't like being under constant pressure.

• Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    My story thus far is that I'm an aggressive expansionist early on. Then I settle in and consolidate everything.
    Except, you know, the World Council decided it should ban export of bananas when my entire economy is bananas or some crap and apparently the smelly barbarian with no economy, science or culture to speak of is more important than me in deciding these matters.
    So I go over and punitively smack him a bit to diminish his stature in the eyes of the world.
    Which just puts some other smelly barbarian in charge. I might have a technological edge, but the hoards are unending. And it is at this point that I wonder if I shouldn't have made like the Roman Empire and just forced the entire world into my domain.

Twenty Sided on
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    jothki wrote: »
    I've always wanted to see mechanics where someone can conquer all of your cities and within a few dozen turns you've stolen control of their empire from them.

Has that ever happened? I mean sure when the Romans conquered the Greeks they pretty much adopted their entire civilization, but we still call it the Roman Empire and we often use the Roman names for things instead of the Greek's...

Phyphor on
  • BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

Has that ever happened? I mean sure when the Romans conquered the Greeks they pretty much adopted their entire civilization, but we still call it the Roman Empire and we often use the Roman names for things instead of the Greek's...

Not overnight or anything, and pretty much always with some sort of cultural fusion, but yeah, there's a lot of history of grand civilized cultures fusing with outside migratory peoples who either slowly or rapidly take over and then adopt much of the culture that came before them. For the Roman Empire, see the history of Byzantine Empire (which is the Roman Empire's Greek continuation).

Blarghy wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »

Not overnight or anything, and pretty much always with some sort of cultural fusion, but yeah, there's a lot of history of grand civilized cultures fusing with outside migratory peoples who either slowly or rapidly take over and then adopt much of the culture that came before them. For the Roman Empire, see the history of Byzantine Empire (which is the Roman Empire's Greek continuation).

Look at the time a French guy conquered England, and what came out of that.

It'd be an interesting way to bring in policies on cultural imperialism and genocide, as well. You'd be able to control how efficiently you establish cultural dominance over a conquered populace, at the cost of various penalties and/or getting other cultures really, really angry at you.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

Well, Civ is turn-based, so you don't really need the multitasking. You take as long as you like.

• DorkchicDorkchic Registered User new member
    What is up with Tycho's head in the first and third frames? Is that the shape of his head, or is something behind him that I am missing?