As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[2017 Challenge Coin] Orders Closed. Batch 3 is shipping out!

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    On the concept side:
    What about one of the earlier pc games most of us played because it came with DOS - either snake or gorillas?
    Or if it's Nintendo's year, how about the Iwata muppet?
    Finally, looking at the history - has Minecraft ever been done?

• robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular
    On the concept side:
    What about one of the earlier pc games most of us played because it came with DOS - either snake or gorillas?
    Finally, looking at the history - has Minecraft ever been done?

I love any of these options.

6pq9je4.png
  • TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    Following the Nintendo bit, what about revisiting the Duck Hunt idea again since there's not a duck on the landmark side this year?

• SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016

I had this exact thought on Saturday. and went looking for pictures of the Iwata Muppet holding some bananas.
    Following the Nintendo bit, what about revisiting the Duck Hunt idea again since there's not a duck on the landmark side this year?

I love Duck Hunt! ... I may have scored a couple perfect rounds in a row at Pax West and begun gathering a small crowd before running away from the attention.

In other Nintendo things:
    The Cast of Captain N: The Game Master.
    Admit it, chibi green Mega-Man warms your heart with his greeting of Mega-Hi! and Kid Icarus (Pitt) ending words with -icus was not the most annoying thing in the world.
    Rapid99 wrote: »
    Also, any idea if we will be going back to Phoenix again? Or are we sticking with the mint from 2016?

Two Big Reasons for not going back to Phoenix.
    A) Coins cost ~40% more per person.
    B) We also have to pay a ~$300 die fee up front that does not get reimbursed, adding an extra $1 to $1.50 per coin that comes out of the pockets a dozen people who throw money at the die fee fund and get nothing for their generosity.

I'm not going to make last years mistake of having the low relief on the gaming side of the regular coin, it'll be full 3d relief again.

I'll be updating the OP with a voting form for the landmark side within the next ~30 minutes or so.
    edit: okay, it took me a little longer than I planned, I got distracted by delicious candy.
    vote link.

SutibunRi on
  • Rapid99Rapid99 Swedesboro, NJRegistered User regular
    Another thing of note:

As some may have noticed, the designers of the PAX West / Prime coins altered the design slightly, by enlarging and moving the Pac-figures on the edge, and by giving them eyes. So now they appear at the terminus of each word rocker, and they are a bit bigger, as to peak over the edge of the border.

I actually like the change a bit. Any input if this will be incorporated into the design scheme?

I'm against using that change on a regular basis, it was was very much a commemorative touch for honoring Khoo and his years of service with PA.
    With that said, next year Penny Arcade is turning 20, and that is totally a reason to get fancy again.

• SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I'm going to be working on some theme/gaming designs based off the suggestions here when I get home from work tonight. I have Wednesday off from work so I can work late tonight to gethe them done.

I should have them done, I hope, by 12am -1am EST. (Approx 14-16 hours from this post. :biggrin: )

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
    Ok .. so I did a few of the requests here.

Rock Band (Game/Theme Design 3):
    s1bmnbdmkjzh.png

Rock Band / DDR (Game/Theme Design 4):
    850ka2thboi7.png

Satoru Iwata Puppet W/Bananas (Game/Theme Design 5):
    9x2lctn1r3v8.png

Duck Hunt (Game/Theme Design 6):
    2rx6gdm2vlfz.png

I could not think of any design ideas for Minecraft or the DOS Snake/Gorilla games. Any suggests on what to do for these please throw it out here.

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • iltailta Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    For Minecraft I could see a combo of the four basic tools: pickaxe, shovel, axe, and sword. Perhaps only two of them are crossed, like this (but cleaned up a bit):

photo.jpg

Then the other two are then arrayed above and below.

Alternately, you could have three of them crossed, like the Norton coat of arms, but it might get hard to read.

arms-norton-swords-suffolk-.gif

Or you could take your inspiration from the American dime, which is a nice thematic inspiration since this is a coin after all, and do three of them in a line:

dime-reverse.png

I'd do the pickaxe as the main central one, flanked by the shovel and axe, since those are the three "crafting" tools. Perhaps the sword is then put in the place of the motto, behind the others, or perhaps it's left off entirely.

You might put this all in front of a shield, or you might not.

ilta on
  • TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    Sepioth wrote: »
    Ok .. so I did a few of the requests here.

Rock Band (Game/Theme Design 3):
    s1bmnbdmkjzh.png

Rock Band / DDR (Game/Theme Design 4):
    850ka2thboi7.png

Satoru Iwata Puppet W/Bananas (Game/Theme Design 5):
    9x2lctn1r3v8.png

Duck Hunt (Game/Theme Design 6):
    2rx6gdm2vlfz.png

I could not think of any design ideas for Minecraft or the DOS Snake/Gorilla games. Any suggests on what to do for these please throw it out here.

I'm loving 5 and 6!

• RenegadeTKRenegadeTK Central MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I'm partial to Landmark #8,9 and Game#6

edited November 2016
    I should not check wikipedia for Iwata information first thing in the morning, I got some dust in my eye..
    Edit: With that said, my reason for checking is this edit.
    iqiysybejhdl.png

SutibunRi on
  • Tichinde925Tichinde925 Registered User regular
    I cant wait!

• DanQDanQ Registered User regular
    I like the duck hunt if we go with the duck boats for the other side.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I'd choose Landmark #11 (Skyline harbor view), but #10 is a very close second, and Game Design #6 (Duck Hunt). I've never been a fan of the swan boats nor understood why people love them so much, but that's just me. Duck Hunt reminds me of my childhood where I used beanbags as cover and jumped out as soon as I heard the ducks. Also, screw that dog for laughing at me all those times.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    edited November 2016
    Alrighty, 18 responses to the survey, that's a lot better than the 9 we had the other day!

Only 6 of the options had first place votes.
    Faneuil Hall (Quincy Market) - 7
    Boston Skyline (Copley View) - 5
    State House - 3
    Swan Boat #2 - 3
    Boston Skyline (Prudential & Huntington Building) - 2
    Swan Boat #5 - 1

If I expand it to first and second choices, Copley ends up more popular than Faneuil.
    Top 3, they tie
    Top 4 and Copley leaves Faneuil Hall in the dust, as support for Fanueil Hall was all front loaded in the first place column.

Face Off! Also, Gaming Side!

Edit: I may be a little hyped after noticing almost all of the choices are Nintendo related.. And it has everything to do with the Captain N costume I own.

SutibunRi on
  • DevereauxDevereaux Registered User regular
    Gaming side vote submitted! :D

Check out my lanyard and let's trade ;)https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Devereaux
    I updated the Duck Hunt one a bit ...
    sc1rcqo2r8d2.png

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
    You monster.

Sorry ... I didn't realize voting was gonna be going up. I also finished up a diff version of my Iwata
    bnfjpc4mqvzc.png[\spoiler]

If people like the idea of either then a second vote for the style could work :)

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • DanQDanQ Registered User regular
    I like the non updated version of the duck hunt and iwata better.

Voted! Partial to the previous forms vs the updates on duck hunt/iwata

I actually like the updated Iwata a bit more. Old one had too much negative space -- upper half looked empty.

• GalumeGalume Registered User new member
    Landmark :11
    Game: 6

Kind of off-topic, but still a bit related...
    Was going through some of my old gaming magazines last night (I have a pretty sizable collection), and stumbled across an old article in a 2002 issue of Tips & Tricks' Japan Report, about the beginning of Iwata's journey with Nintendo. Felt like I would share, all things considered...
    OEe8847.png

I'll post up the poll results in about an hour, last chance to sneak in some votes people.
    https://goo.gl/forms/1xitPMjjZQepyiru2

27 votes (including myself)
    63% for the Skyline (17 votes)

48.1% of the 1st place vote went to Duck Hunt (13 Votes)
    Iwata Puppet brought in 22.2% of the 1st place vote (6 votes)

They both placed equally as 2nd place choices with 29.6% of those votes (8 votes each)

Nothing else even came close.

Also. everyone hates Minecraft.

SutibunRi wrote: »
    At the end of the day, that's what's most important.

• SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular

They both placed equally as 2nd place choices with 29.6% of those votes (8 votes each)

I'm happy with the results... but still like minecraft. I shall accept my shame now

P0P7S6y.png
    Sorry I have not been here in a while. Between life and work I almost completely forgot about this. Sorry about that.

Also sorry for no Minecraft side .. haven't had the time to work on anything.

Both sides are solid choices and can not wait to see the final results from Kidder Corp.

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • gregchick1gregchick1 Registered User regular

So happy the skyline is going to be on the coin vs. the swan boats. You've got a few orders coming in!

I've very pleased with the selection of both sides. Looking forward to seeing the wonders you folks create.

It's not that I hate Minecraft. Rather, what little life I do have I would like to keep and therefore cannot afford a timesink like that. It's basically another job. I quit MMORPGs for that reason, so Minecraft is a definite and easy no-no for me. The kids love it, though.

Alright Folks, I am a terrible procrastinating person, but I've got the order sent to kiddercorp now, and will update the thread when we can start ordering coins.

Pictures from kiddercorp!
    Take a look and let me know if you notice anything wrong. I'm not noticing anything out of place myself.
    lsqegylek258.jpg
    o7uonmlj4lb4.jpg

It took actually writing this and uploading the pictures, and saying I didn't notice anything, for me to notice the dogs nose should be black!

Good catch on the nose
    Looks good otherwise :D

• RILMSRILMS North BayRegistered User regular
    The ducks in the coloured one look like penguins

OtyHMcu.jpg
    I'd be okay with shooting penguins, they don't fly so it would be even easier!

But really, I think it's just that the green of their head is pretty dark, I'll see if they can brighten that up a tad. (which will probably end up brightening the dark green on the bush as well, as they appear to be using the same color)

• abdoooooabdooooo Registered User regular
    Looks good to me. This is going to be a great coin!

• Mercyd1403Mercyd1403 Registered User regular
    Okay these look awesome.

I am quite excited for this coin. Both sides are what I wanted to see and have memories attached to both as well. Very well done so far, sir. I'm a fan of the No Epoxy version, but I'd be happy with either.