As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[tech] It's Tech Spring Cleaning Week now. Clean your....tech....stuff.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Some video sites

Hmm

• Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    I have crystal installed on my iOS devices from when it was free.

The internet is a much more enjoyable place with it.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    Any opinions on Google Fi or the Nexus 5X/6p? looking. We're about due for new phones.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Fi has been pretty good for me, I'm planning on switching over completely soon. 5x is a good phone.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    My 5X and Fi have been good over the last year. Coverage is not as good as Verizon and I did have a few times where I either had no connection or limited connection. However, those were times when I was somewhere for vacation or only briefly in an area where T-Mobile or Sprint coverage isn't great. I can deal with imperfect coverage when I'm saving $50-60 compared to what I was paying for Verizon.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    since its basically t-mo and sprint combined into a single network (from what I understand), google fi is definitely an improvement if you're already on t-mo or sprint. If youre on verizon or at&t coverage may not be as good but will most likely be much cheaper.

My wife has the 5x, its a nice compact phone that is pretty affordable. the 6p is also quite excellent from what I hear, but I dont have any first hand experience.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Project Fi also works with US Cellular now as well, which might make a difference in some regions.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Yo, if anyone is looking for a good budget phone option, Best Buy is clearancing out the Moto X Pure in black for $250. It's out of stock on Motorola's own site and on Amazon (in black anyways).

Not the newest phone, but I would say that it's easily the best option at that price point. Motorola has already said it'll get Android 7.0. Works on all the major networks too.

jgeis on
    Peen wrote: »
    Is there a reason to use Opera on my phone

Opera has mobile ad blocking built in which is an absolute game changer with regards to mobile browsing. It does a shit job with some video sites but otherwise it's pretty great.

I've switched the whole way over to Opera and I'm really happy with it, runs better than Chrome and it's got native ad blocking with no extensions or bullshit. It'll find a way to suck at some point because they all do but right now I'm happy.

Thanks to this discussion I've switched over to Opera for opening links with Chromer from Twitter or my RRS feeds. I still use Chrome for my primary browsing, which is pretty much only the PA forums, but having ad blocking for all the sites I get linked to from Twitter and RSS is fantastic.

• T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Dear Tech Thread,

Today, I woke up to discover that my Personal Computer would not boot up to anything past a black screen, until I got it to tell me Windows had been corrupted and needed to reinstall.

I am now stuck at the 64% bootloop and have no way to break myself out of it. Hardbooting the computer and then turning it on just restarts the installation where it is

My only other laptop is my work PC, which I do not have administrative rights to and consequently cannot run the Windows 10 tool to get the ISO to make a USB drive to boot from to fix this problem.

Please. Someone help me figure out a solution. There appears to be no way to download the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft's website unless you're running a OS that isn't compatible to be upgraded to Windows 10 (which is making me shake why the fuck wouldn't you just give that option to your regular PC users as well)

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Find an alternative website to download the ISO from? You can torrent it from a number of places, and yes that means the legit ISO, if that is all that you need.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Admittedly I did this on Windows 10, but the tool gives the choice between "upgrading this pc" and "create USB" when I run it.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Wait that's not right. I'm running Windows 7 and literally downloaded the ISO for 10 earlier.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Oh wait no I used the tool to make an ISO.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Also I'm on an iPhone right now and can't test it but there seem to be separate Microsoft pages for getting the Widows 10 media and getting the ISO so maybe if the creation tool is giving you trouble you can still get the ISO?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    There's a new chrome update in the works that cuts memory usage by like 75% I hear.

Yeah I'll believe it when I see it.

Right now anytime I open the processes there's about a dozen or some chrome processes running and it's ridiculous how bad it is.

It seems like Chrome is setup up so that in the same way as it runs a new process for each tab so that if one goes down they don't all go down, it also runs an individual process for each extension and then applies that extension across all tabs simultaneously to ensure the extensions are also crash proof, which is why you can have only one tab open but still have like 6 different Chrome processes running in Task Manager.

the price you pay for that is increased resource usage across the board

which is fine, I have plenty of ram

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i got an ipad pro as a test device at work (the big version)

and the screen is the most impressive thing i've ever seen, ever

its way better than the retina mac, way better than the surface pro 4

i dont understand how they achieve this, but it's just so easy to look at

• T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Ok, update on the sitch

I ended up getting the ISO (it is LUDICROUS that that page isn't linked to on the tool page at all, by the way)

that ISO did not work when I wrote it to USB, it told me there wasn't a usable OS written to the disc

I have temporarily installed elementaryOS onto the computer so that it's functional and I guess tomorrow I will...try and make a bootable USB again?? The good news is that I can see all my files!! So I can save the important stuff. A small win, at least.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    There's a new chrome update in the works that cuts memory usage by like 75% I hear.

Yeah I'll believe it when I see it.

Right now anytime I open the processes there's about a dozen or some chrome processes running and it's ridiculous how bad it is.

It seems like Chrome is setup up so that in the same way as it runs a new process for each tab so that if one goes down they don't all go down, it also runs an individual process for each extension and then applies that extension across all tabs simultaneously to ensure the extensions are also crash proof, which is why you can have only one tab open but still have like 6 different Chrome processes running in Task Manager.

the price you pay for that is increased resource usage across the board

which is fine, I have plenty of ram

Oh yeah, I put 16 gigs in this p.c. in 2012, I got RAM for days. On an older system with only 4 gigs though, I'd likely use Opera instead.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Hey @chrishallett83

Is buying a modi multibit over a modi 2 uber worth it

poo
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hey @chrishallett83

Is buying a modi multibit over a modi 2 uber worth it

Well you get the converter upgrade that costs $200 in the Bifrost for only $100, so if you don't mind spending the extra dosh then why not? It won't make any difference if you're only listening to MP3s or FLACs ripped from CD because you can't read from data that's not there, and their claims for their digital filter included in the upgrade seem very difficult to actually be able to measure. I worry they're starting to travel down the audio woo road they originally disparaged, but at least their stuff is still wonderfully made and reasonably priced.

hm, so if i am only mostly listening to MP3s then i should save myself 100?

poo
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Friend of mine has a new Dell XPS but it seems kinda sluggish and it sounds as if there are a lot of little hdd accesses. I had a similar problem years ago when the windows index was slowing down things. Might that be the possible reason in Windows 10, too?

Another option might be the Emotiva Little or Big Ego DAC/Amp. The Little Ego is on sale for $99, down from $175, and compares very well against the Bifrost (http://www.head-fi.org/t/782890/emotiva-big-ego-and-little-ego#post_12027803). If you need more than USB input you'll want to look elsewhere though.

I wanted an upgrade from the DAC in my Audio-GD Compass, which is seven years old now, and the Little Ego was a nice upgrade. It's an upgrade in every noticeable way to the DAC in the Compass, and is a great match for the set of Sennheiser HD700's I recently bought.

honovere wrote: »
    Friend of mine has a new Dell XPS but it seems kinda sluggish and it sounds as if there are a lot of little hdd accesses. I had a similar problem years ago when the windows index was slowing down things. Might that be the possible reason in Windows 10, too?

wow, surprised to hear this

last year i bought a Dell XPS and had this is exact same issue where the HDD performance just seemed godawful. i ended up returning it was so horrible. i was told later they fixed it with drivers but apparently not

Cormac wrote: »
    Another option might be the Emotiva Little or Big Ego DAC/Amp. The Little Ego is on sale for $99, down from $175, and compares very well against the Bifrost (http://www.head-fi.org/t/782890/emotiva-big-ego-and-little-ego#post_12027803). If you need more than USB input you'll want to look elsewhere though.

I wanted an upgrade from the DAC in my Audio-GD Compass, which is seven years old now, and the Little Ego was a nice upgrade. It's an upgrade in every noticeable way to the DAC in the Compass, and is a great match for the set of Sennheiser HD700's I recently bought.

hmm interesting

99 is very cheap

poo
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Jasconius wrote: »

last year i bought a Dell XPS and had this is exact same issue where the HDD performance just seemed godawful. i ended up returning it was so horrible. i was told later they fixed it with drivers but apparently not

I'll ask her if she has the most up to date drivers and to check what happens when indexing is turned off. Otherwise returning it might be the "solution"

edit: it also seems to have problems when waking up, like the screen not turning back on? Returning it might be best.

honovere on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I kinda want to save up for a new pair of headphones and amp or dac for my phone. Though too be fair since I listen to mostly google play's all access service I doubt I really need anything nice, it's at least a little compressed.

Jasconius wrote: »

I'll ask her if she has the most up to date drivers and to check what happens when indexing is turned off. Otherwise returning it might be the "solution"

edit: it also seems to have problems when waking up, like the screen not turning back on? Returning it might be best.

YUP sounds familiar

windows indexing shouldn't be an excuse for Dell. It's a Core i7 machine with a solid state and infinity RAM. Windows Indexing shouldn't even factor into the equation

Frankly I'll never touch a Dell again until I see hard evidence they fixed it

edited November 2016
    Uriel wrote: »
    I kinda want to save up for a new pair of headphones and amp or dac for my phone. Though too be fair since I listen to mostly google play's all access service I doubt I really need anything nice, it's at least a little compressed.

Something like an Audioquest Dragonfly Black DAC/Amp for around $100 is a good place to start. I'm sure there are also some models from Fiio but I'm honestly not familiar with their stuff.

Cormac on

Something like an Audioquest Dragonfly Black DAC/Amp for around $100 is a good place to start. I'm sure there are also some models from Fiio but I'm honestly not familiar with their stuff.

What would be a good upgrade from my sennheiser HD518 cans that are a few years old now and kinda falling apart?

edited November 2016

What would be a good upgrade from my sennheiser HD518 cans that are a few years old now and kinda falling apart?

What's your budget and what kind of music do you listen to? Head-fi is a good resource and The Wirecutter also has a good overview of headphones at a few different price ranges http://thewirecutter.com/leaderboard/headphones/ Are you going to be using headphone amp or just from your phone and/or sound card on your PC?

Something like the HD600 or 650's are universally appreciated (albeit with rather different sound profiles), as are the Sony MDR-7506 at least from the perspective of sound quality and value.

You might also want to cross post here in PA's Audiophile thread for more input http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/142270/audiophilia-headphones-amps-daps-and-empty-wallets

Cormac on
    Ah the hd600s and up are way out of where I'd like to spend.

I was thinking maybe 160 usd max for the phones.

But thinking about it my 518s still sound fine. It's mostly cosmetic wear. So you think a dragonfly would be too much for them if I just upgraded my old fiio fujiyama amp?

Also I listen to mostly metal and hard Rock. I don't like artificial sounding bass though so most basic low end consumer headphones marketed toward me always sounds like ass.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I love sennheiser products.

I just wonder if I'll have to buy a shorter cable for those like I did with the 518s.

Like I haven't treated my current ones too bad and they still sound great, they just have some gunky earpads and missing head cushion but I could replace those and these should last me a good deal more years.

I just don't know enough about the science of amplification stuff to know if a DAC like the dragonfly thing will be too much for the 518s, I turned my fiio fujiyama up all the way maybe 3 times just to test it and it didn't seem to damage the headhpones (but would have hurt my ears had I not been holding them out at arms length.

You can buy replacement ear pads for your 518's and possibly the headband pad too. I replaced both on my 650's and they felt like new again. I would suggest spending the extra for official Sennheiser pads as the Chinese made third-party ones doesn't necessarily fit as advertised.

I'm not too familiar with headphones in that price range but what about the HD598's?

The Dragonfly will not be too powerful for the 518's. If anything, it might be just right and would be a nice upgrade over the Fiio.

I might save up for one of those and the little cable attachment for it then. One thing about the fiio is it's not nearly as convenient to use as I'd like so just the plug and play nature of the dragonfly would be a big selling point.

I wonder how that Dragonfly stacks up against an E17K Alpen 2? I still love my Alpen, it refuses to die and sounds awesome with my cans. It is a bit bulky for use with a phone, I just used a short interconnect and put both devices in my pocket and my headphone cord up the inside of my shirt. As for the headphones, 518s are pretty nice, but I can remember the 598s feeling more comfortable (to me) and sounding just a touch brighter and clearer in the upper frequencies when I listened to them in the headphone store here. Apparently the 518s and 598s have the same drivers in them though!

maybe i will just get the multibit because it's 100 dollars more and like
    why not, go big or go home

presumably i will never need to upgrade again until it breaks and between that and the amp i'll be good for whatever headphones for a long time

poo
This discussion has been closed.