As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX 2017 Expectations

2»

• PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular
    Where were the food trucks? I didn't know about them so never looked. Will consider them this year.

• hsuhsu Registered User regular
    2016 the food trucks parked out front on Summer street. 2015 the food trucks parked by a side door where the Lawn on D is currently located.

iTNdmYl.png
  • ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    hsu wrote: »
    2016 the food trucks parked out front on Summer street. 2015 the food trucks parked by a side door where the Lawn on D is currently located.

in 2016 there were also three trucks parked by the Lawn on D, a BBQ, Mexican, and I'm not sure what the other one was. But there were three, long lines for them too! I never made it out to the ones parking in the front, I heard there were bacon grilled cheeses...but again, I didn't make it up there so not sure what they were offering.

ClannMorgan on
  • VermillionDeVermillionDe Registered User regular
    Honestly I really didn't see much in the way of advertisement as to where the trucks were going to be or when. I passed a few on my way back and forth from the Aloft but the lines were pretty long and I didn't feel like waiting.

• robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular
    That bacon food truck (bostonbacontruck.com) was incredible. I also recommend Jimmy Johns for quick eats. It is super close. Cross the street from the Westin and you're there.

6pq9je4.png
  • zenprimezenprime That Cat that ain't a Cat T-Town, WARegistered User regular
    This is my first East, and after 8 years of Prime West, it kinda boggles me that the show isn't completely sold out yet.

PAXing till I Plotz
    xSBUZyE.png
    PAX Weast 2017 Status: Badges [X] Room [X] Fried Rice [X]
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    zenprime wrote: »
    This is my first East, and after 8 years of Prime West, it kinda boggles me that the show isn't completely sold out yet.

A few reasons that I think are contributing:

Only 6 weeks after South
    No 3 day badges (aka expensive to buy all the days)
    Potential for Blizzardcon
    Some people just don't think Sunday is worth the full price

It'll still sell out regardless, the only time it wouldn't would be if there was another PAX Easter or something.

• SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    A few reasons that I think are contributing:

Only 6 weeks after South
    No 3 day badges (aka expensive to buy all the days)
    Potential for Blizzardcon
    Some people just don't think Sunday is worth the full price

It'll still sell out regardless, the only time it wouldn't would be if there was another PAX Easter or something.

The "only 6 weeks after south" is a really interesting one. I'm hoping that doesn't pull too many devs away from East. I doubt it will, but it is odd to me. I guess that's just how scheduling had to work though. No complaints from me as I only go to East.

P0P7S6y.png
  • SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    The GDC is in March. Not sue the impact it has on developers showing up for PAX.

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
    Sepioth wrote: »
    The GDC is in March. Not sue the impact it has on developers showing up for PAX.

It didn't seem to affect it much last time this happened in 2015. Devs go to GDC while marketing goes to PAX at least in my experience.

P0P7S6y.png
    Curious, why do they alternate March and April for PAX's date? I'm not sure if it has happened prior to 2015 but it appears like a pattern.

6pq9je4.png
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    robirex wrote: »
    Curious, why do they alternate March and April for PAX's date? I'm not sure if it has happened prior to 2015 but it appears like a pattern.

I don't remember if it was in an older forums post or if it was a separate interview, but I believe Khoo pointed it out that it was all about finding the right spot scheduling wise.

Can't be too close to the other PAX's.

Try not to overlap other big events in Boston (Anime Boston, Boston Marathon, etc)

BCEC available for the setup and breakdown days as well as PAX days.

That's what determines the dates.

Maybe @zerzhul, @Moe Fwacky or one of the other long timers can find the post I'm thinking of.

gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    This is the post that was made by Robert at the time of PAX Easter (2012) that described why the dates were chosen. I don't remember where it was posted originally (although I think it was on the pax east website).
    There are a number of factors playing into the decision to choose Easter Weekend, including:

1. Actually having dates where the entirety of the convention center is open, and that's not just for show days. It takes us five full days to setup and two full days to strike.
    2. Not overlapping the Boston Marathon
    3. Not being close to any large event/conferences within boston that would hurt our ability to negotiate for lower hotel room rates for attendees.
    4. Not overlapping with GDC (since many developers and publishers go to both)
    5. Not overlapping with Anime Boston
    6. Not overlapping with SXSW
    7. As far away from PAX Prime the previous year (so not too early) so we can plan the show.
    8. As far away from PAX Prime, E3 and SDCC the next year (so not too late).

So, that said, when looking at that list, I came to the realization a long time ago fulfilling all of those is an impossibility. One of two of those gives every year. (same with prime, only with different criteria/shows) For instance, this year we needed to overlap with SXSW, and tons of speakers and guests couldn't make it because they were booked for that. It's just a reality of the show.

That list is pretty much in order of importance. Tough decisions need to get made because of it, and to get #s 1-3 in alignment, #s 4, 5 or 6 had be compromised. It's unfortunate, but it had to happen.

• UpmindUpmind Registered User regular
    I love Esports, so I hope to god there is an extensive esports merch place other than 4 teams at the ESL Shop (Specifically Brazilian teams, oi meu amigos ;) )

qGv95BI.png
  • PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular
    I am not familiar with Boston Marathon at all but why is it so high on the list? Does its route go past the con center? Or is it a hotel conflict issue between the two events? I guess the hotels are booked during BM so no room for PAX. If BM doesn't go through downtown I wonder if PAX could go on at the same time assuming the popular PAX hotels aren't the same popular BM hotels. I guess I'm answering my own question here but I just don't know how much of a presence BM has in the PAX area of Boston

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    The route ends a bit of a ways west of the convention center, but it gobbles up ALL of the hotels in the greater Boston area. I'd imagine if PAX scheduled against the marathon that people would have to stay out in Rhode Island, which sounds very un-fun.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • yutani sanyutani san MaineRegistered User regular
    Honestly I really didn't see much in the way of advertisement as to where the trucks were going to be or when. I passed a few on my way back and forth from the Aloft but the lines were pretty long and I didn't feel like waiting.

There are some signs if I recall that said "Food this way" or something witty along those lines with arrows. Last year the food trucks were great IMO. Even with long lines, I never waited more than 15-20 minutes in line and enough people were coming in and out that getting a table to sit at never seemed too challenging.

It was well worth the wait. The food truck vendors were all so nice and the food was delicious. My bf and I ate lunch and supper there just about every day. Better than spending $15 for that crap the convention sells, or waiting in that food court type area for sub-par expensive food. It was really nice to get outside for a bit. I highly recommend you check them out this year :) The grilled cheese truck was by far my favorite!

• SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Food trucks or Convention food .. I really wish they had more tables and chairs to sit in. Or at least a better designated area to eat.

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • MarioManiacMarioManiac Registered User regular
    yutani san wrote: »

There are some signs if I recall that said "Food this way" or something witty along those lines with arrows. Last year the food trucks were great IMO. Even with long lines, I never waited more than 15-20 minutes in line and enough people were coming in and out that getting a table to sit at never seemed too challenging.

It was well worth the wait. The food truck vendors were all so nice and the food was delicious. My bf and I ate lunch and supper there just about every day. Better than spending $15 for that crap the convention sells, or waiting in that food court type area for sub-par expensive food. It was really nice to get outside for a bit. I highly recommend you check them out this year :) The grilled cheese truck was by far my favorite!

Is that the grilled cheese truck that was featured in the second season of the Great Food Truck Race? I believe it was called Roxy's Grilled Cheese.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious shit!"
    signature_zpsh4qstnbp.png
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/MarioManiac
  • rascrushrascrush Registered User regular

Is that the grilled cheese truck that was featured in the second season of the Great Food Truck Race? I believe it was called Roxy's Grilled Cheese.

You know I was just thinking this as I watched the show the other day lol. Idk if it was or not but would make me wanna go next year if it was

• yutani sanyutani san MaineRegistered User regular

It WAS called Roxys, but I not heard of this Great Food Truck Race. If its them, thats awesome. Their avacado bacon grilled cheese was seriously heavenly. I got it like 3 times last year LOL.

• hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    PurpleSky wrote: »
    I am not familiar with Boston Marathon at all but why is it so high on the list?
    The Boston Marathon is run during Patriots' Day, an official state holiday for Massachusetts. Schools start their spring break, government offices close down, and the entire city basically comes out to play. Know what else is always scheduled on Patriots' Day? The Red Sox home opener ball game. In addition, there are parades in several nearby towns, including a long one that re-enacts Paul Revere's famous ride from the old North Church in downtown Boston out to Arlington about 6 miles away. Plus the first sign of spring is around Patriots Day, so this is really the first warm-ish day in Boston where half the city gets a vacation, so of course everyone wants to go outside to enjoy it. If you don't work downtown, you don't go anywhere near downtown, because the whole place is freaking crazy, filled with tourists and locals pretending to be tourists, with half the roads completely closed to car traffic, the other half completely packed with traffic, and the subway system filled to capacity.

Oh, and just to give you a scale, the Boston Marathon attracts 30,000 runners and 500,000 spectators. That's just the marathon, and not the other festivities surrounding Patriots' Day. So you can see why it's #2 on the list.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Aredhel22Aredhel22 Blue Nova Cosplay PittsburghRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Changing gears here a little. I am a HUGE Mass Effect fan, and since it's N7 Day, I thought I'd bring up Andromeda. Nothing has been released yet, but we know a few things so far

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gOyGdFyDca4
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Plpb1brJpEE

In anticipation for today's announcements, I wanted to know what you guys think about Bioware's presence at PAX. Do you think it's going to be the major attraction like Overwatch was last year?

I'll update a little later in the day when we get the good news!

Aredhel22 on
    cFhq9lX.jpg
  • craiolacraiola MARegistered User regular
    Aredhel22 wrote: »
    Changing gears here a little. I am a HUGE Mass Effect fan, and since it's N7 Day, I thought I'd bring up Andromeda. Nothing has been released yet, but we know a few things so far

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gOyGdFyDca4
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Plpb1brJpEE

In anticipation for today's announcements, I wanted to know what you guys think about Bioware's presence at PAX. Do you think it's going to be the major attraction like Overwatch was last year?

I'll update a little later in the day when we get the good news!

I expect the bioware base to be back like in years past. They skipped last year because they didn't have anything to show. Not sure if they will have presence on the expo floor though. Obviously I'm super hyped.

DXLJjjr.png
    Yeah, I am guessing that Andromeda's release date is going to be in March or April. I don't remember seeing a AAA title release in those months. Horizon Zero Dawn is close on 2/28 and Persona 5 is close on 2/14. If Andromeda drops in March or April I hope Bioware comes back to PAX with a demo or even just to show it off a little. Stoked.

6pq9je4.png
  • InfiniteNuLLInfiniteNuLL Registered User regular
    2 major things I'm looking forward to is Bioware Base and the Final Fantasy 14 Expansion.

FF14 - Failia Zebonaiza, Behemoth Server, FC: 404 Guild Not Found
    PAX East Attendee - 2015, 2016
  • DarkshowersDarkshowers Registered User regular
    I live near Boston and I've heard from people who work in the Seaport area that they are bringing in new businesses and restaurants within the past year so there may be a lot more options to choose from when PAX East is here. Supposedly, it is now a lot nicer than it was a few years ago when they first held PAX at the BCEC.

Ds3hsEH.png
    I live near Boston and I've heard from people who work in the Seaport area that they are bringing in new businesses and restaurants within the past year so there may be a lot more options to choose from when PAX East is here. Supposedly, it is now a lot nicer than it was a few years ago when they first held PAX at the BCEC.

I mean I saw a marked improvement just from my first PAX visit in 2014 to 2016. I would imagine it would continue

P0P7S6y.png
  • OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    Solanales wrote: »

I mean I saw a marked improvement just from my first PAX visit in 2014 to 2016. I would imagine it would continue

I live in Cambridge and my GF works in Seaport. I can tell you that the area's seen a lot of development. A bunch of companies and businesses have moved into the area, so restaurants and the sort have sprung up to fill the previous void. Back when PAX first moved to the Seaport in 2011, there area was basically a desert.

Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • revengeancefulrevengeanceful Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    The Seaport was basically the last undeveloped portion of the city, and that is no longer true. Not all of the construction is finished, but condo buildings, office buildings, restaurants, and hotels have all sprung up in the area over the last few years. It is a remarkably different place now than it was even two years ago.

revengeanceful on
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    The Seaport was basically the last undeveloped portion of the city, and that is no longer true. Not all of the construction is finished, but condo buildings, office buildings, restaurants, and hotels have all sprung up in the area over the last few years. It is a remarkably different place now than it was even two years ago.
    This is very, very true. I don't even recognize it anymore compared to what it used to be. They're still developing it. There are even rumors of a new tram connecting Back Bay (Copley) to the SBCEC using old but existing tracks. That's just rumor and ideas, but would be highly beneficial should it become real while PAX is still here in Boston.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • MelSnyMelSny New JerseyRegistered User regular
    I have been going to PAX East since 2011. Last year's show floor was the easiest to navigate and felt the least crushed. I think part of it is where certain booths were place. Bigger crowds were pushed away from the escalators which helped movement. It will be great to see the new developments in the area surrounding the BCEC this year. I agree that the surround area looks different every time I am there!

signature.png

"You want to kill me? You couldn't even kill my boredom" - Roronoa Zoro (One Piece).

Attending PAX East since 2011.