As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Games Done Quick: See You Next Mission

1676869707173»

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Knight_ wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    they're attempting to maintain a certain level of decorum and professionalism, and even though the run was memorable and funny as hell, it absolutely was not in line with what they are going for

they're showcasing talent first, and personality much much less

it's why big jon golf is not a thing

And yet, all the best runs are due to great personality. GDQ can try to stop the tide, but as it turns out, personalities are what people want when they go for video content on the internet.

GDQ would do better to lean in instead of trying to stop the inevitable. When I look at the schedule I barely even care what is being run, I care who is running.

I look forward to the 2018 AGDDew, sponsored by Mountain Dew Kickstart, featuring Totino's Screamlords Danny and Arin on the couch for Markiplier's 'speedrun' of Spooky's House of Jumpscares.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I have never once cared about who is playing the game even for a second

In my experience they can only detract from the runs, they never make them better for me

6F32U1X.png
  • Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    While I personally care more about the game than the runner, I definitely pay attention to who's running and I definitely have friends who watch runs just for the runner.

My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2016
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I have never once cared about who is playing the game even for a second

In my experience they can only detract from the runs, they never make them better for me
    Then you might as well watch speedruns on YouTube? That seems like an experience that defeats the purpose of a live marathon. Some of the most memorable runs have been because of runners giving excellent commentary, witty banter, or just hilarious exasperation at marathon luck.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    huh, they have a dark souls 3 run but to the best of my knowledge its not the WR holder and the estimated time is... not close to the WR (like 40% off)

so.. funsies I guess?

Jasconius on
    but i am ALL ABOUT this kirby super star race, hell fuckin yeah

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    huh, they have a dark souls 3 run but to the best of my knowledge its not the WR holder and the estimated time is... not close to the WR (like 40% off)

so.. funsies I guess?

It might be an all bosses run instead of an any% run?

BahamutZERO.gif
    Jasconius wrote: »

so.. funsies I guess?

It might be an all bosses run instead of an any% run?

its labelled any% *shrug* its a really consistent run so I can't think of why it's so off

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Well I was going to suggest maybe it included the DLC bosses but I doubt that would be the case at any%.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    Well it might also be mislabeled, or the estimate might be including time for some sort of bonus stuff.

BahamutZERO.gif
    could be. for context the WR for any% is 35 minutes. the holders handle is Distortion2, and be's basically held it and refined it since day 1

it just occurred to me.. I think... I know at one point he was doing WR's on an unpatched copy. so maybe.. with patches it can only be so fast? hard to say

• NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    They patched the teardrop glitch that let you fly and noclip and, for instance, kill Aldrich by stabbing his tail beneath the floor while he doesn't move because you never triggered the start of the battle (you also won't trigger the teleport and archive key spawn, but you can kill Yhorm last and either way you still get the ashes)

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The estimates they give tend to be on the generous side these days, especially for games with RNG that would usually just get them to restart. No doing that in a live marathon, so if they get the bad weapon drop that'll cost them ten minutes, they have to suck it up and deal.
    Over-estimates also mean the schedule doesn't get pushed around too much, which I remember was pretty common in the first few marathons.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular

Placements for the mystery race

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    BlueBlue wrote: »

Placements for the mystery race

yooo this is fun stuff

BahamutZERO.gif

smash the record speedruns going on now

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Knock knock guess who it's the JRTA Marathon time of the year again.

This time featuring:

- Cool games

- Fast

- Meido cosplays

You know you wanna check it out.

Also, have a handy-diddley-dandy schedule.

https://horaro.org/jrta3/schedule

Zephiran on
    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    fuuuuuuuuuuuck I just missed Undertale

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Shit wait what?

Is a new AGDQ happening now?

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Shit wait what?

Nah, it's some other marathon.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    Shit wait what?

Nah, it's some other marathon.

That said, it's a speed running marathon raising money to send some runners to AGDQ.
    So, it's kind of like a prequel.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Halfcoordinated is going to be running Momodora right after Dr. Mario

Big Jon's Gettin' Folk There 3 starts now, marathon to raise money for funding runners' trips to agdq

CD World Tour status:
    watchin' that

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.