As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mafia III] As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to kill gangsters

124»

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Al
    Mr. G wrote: »
    People who've seen the full game
    Do they even foreshadow the JFK stuff at ALL?

It really does not sound like it!
    NOPE

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Just took over my first territory.

Lincoln Clay has been well-coached in the ways of the harshness.

Really loving the 'Cocaine Cowboys' motif of the story telling. All it's missing is the still images with the moving eyes (which is some goddamn nightmare fuel to be honest).

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    yeah, I wish there was more of the framing story, the interviews and stuff

also, the irish
    got pretty emotional with lincoln, I was like woah where did this come from

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Al
    People who've seen the full game
    Do they even foreshadow the JFK stuff at ALL?

It really does not sound like it!
    NOPE
    Though the mob having been involved in the assassination is an old theory. It still comes the fuck out of nowhere. And I love it.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm definitely going to buy this game. I think I'm going to wait for a sale though.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    I heard rumblings of this being bad on PC, did they patch it? or is it not really an issue?

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I'm definitely going to buy this game. I think I'm going to wait for a sale though.

Yeah, I'll pick it up once it drops to a tenner or so.

Given the mixed reception, I doubt it'll take long.

• Options
    I liked it, but it has some serious issues. The writing can be pretty solid sometimes, though, and it's super stylish. It's lack of customization and weird as fuck pacing makes it suffer, though.

Apparently new outfits are coming as free DLC.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    How does this compare to Mafia 2? I fucking loved Maria 2

• Options
    How does this compare to Mafia 2? I fucking loved Maria 2

Very much goes in a different direction.

Mafia 2's open world was a beautiful setting that was mostly used as a location to travel to, or somewhere for gunfights and chases to spill out into. Most of mafia 3's actuvitues happen in the open wotld. It's all about doing stuff in it.

Mafia 3 also doesn't have as great grounding as 2. There's no "go back to your house at the end of each day" and there's a lot less of the interactive prep work, of making you play out a lot of the setups for the shootouts.

There's also not auite the systems simulations as with 2, like with cops arresting other people, or with the bribes, or the being able to hold ip people and stores.

Finally, there's nowhere near the same focus on destructible terrain and fire propagation.

So it is quite a different game. However, i did really like it. It's got more stealth, and feels like more of a hit and run game. You get somewhere, kill as many people as you need to,and then get out.

• Options
    It's got a great aesthetic grounding, and i did really end up enjoying how the characters interracted.

• Options
    speaking of story stuff from mafia 2 that's in 3 (end of story stuff)
    Vito's whole sidequest chain is about avenging Joe's death, and getting the people responsible and how he's sure that Joe's dead because he would have contacted him otherwise.

And then one of the later cutscenes has Joe hanging about driving some mafia don around, and it's kinda never addressed and I don't know why it's there? Like, of course Lincoln wouldn't recognise him, but it's just kinda weird.

• Options
    Vito's whole sidequest chain is about avenging Joe's death, and getting the people responsible and how he's sure that Joe's dead because he would have contacted him otherwise.

And then one of the later cutscenes has Joe hanging about driving some mafia don around, and it's kinda never addressed and I don't know why it's there? Like, of course Lincoln wouldn't recognise him, but it's just kinda weird.
    That's Leo Gallante. The mobster that saved your ass multiple times in 2. I'm guessing he's the only thing keeping Joe from cement slippers, and Joe's too ashamed to tell Vito.

• Options

That's Leo Gallante. The mobster that saved your ass multiple times in 2. I'm guessing he's the only thing keeping Joe from cement slippers, and Joe's too ashamed to tell Vito.
    yeah, I knew who he was

it just felt like a weird thing to have Joe alive as almost an easter egg for fans, while basing a lot of at least Vito's ark around the fact that he's dead

it's just a weird complication that doesn't do a lot

• Options
    Kadith wrote: »
    I heard rumblings of this being bad on PC, did they patch it? or is it not really an issue?

it was pretty bad at launch. They've fixed a lot of issues.

I still get some graphical glitches, and I'm not sure if those are pc exclusive, but the whole game runs pretty well.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Is there any reason to kill the last guy when I have reduced a racket to $0?

captaink on
  • Options
    captaink wrote: »
    Is there any reason to kill the last guy when I have reduced a racket to $0?

if it's a killing a dude side thing, then it'll stop them from showing up at the final dude's lair

• Options
    Ah. Not too important then.

The first shotgun you get is a pretty good video game shotgun. It fucks people up even at medium range.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Should I play this with a keyboard or a controller?

• Options
    I've been playing controller since you drive a lot. It has three levels of autoaim which is a nice option.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    THIS GAME IS GREAT. I LOVE IT OMG.

• Options
    This game is a very good stab-racists-in-the-neck simulator.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

This isn't really true though

The guy I accidentally let live was a white supremacist, totally gave me the option

• Options
    It's a late game one. A high ranking member of the Southern Union.

Is KKK copyright? Is that why neither this or BioShock use it directly?

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    It's a late game one. A high ranking member of the Southern Union.

Is KKK copyright? Is that why neither this or BioShock use it directly?

Early on in the game you can spare at least some of the dudes in the Dixie Mafia. The wiretap conversations you need to do so even talk about how the guy(s) you can spare are in the Dixie Mafia for the cash, not the cause of white supremacy.

Later on during the Southern Union missions, when you bust up at least one of their rackets, you don't have the option to spare the guy in charge. He hurls racist insults at you, and you stab the shit out of him.

In related news, throwing grenades into gatherings of white supremacist not-Klan folks is incredibly cathartic.

About the not-Klan thing, it might be due to legal issues, but Lincoln Clay calls the Southern Union "basically the fucking Klan" when you meet the Southern Union contact, so at least the developers lampshade that nicely.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Rented this game from Gamefly, and I really wish I liked it more than I do.

I'm super into the story, but the gameplay is so messy and frustrating that it's tough for me to muster up the will to boot the game up. And then I pretty much immediately stop for the day once I die (even on easy difficulty, Lincoln is VERY fragile).

I'll probably just send it back and hope someone does a decent LP for it.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Rented this game from Gamefly, and I really wish I liked it more than I do.

I'm super into the story, but the gameplay is so messy and frustrating that it's tough for me to muster up the will to boot the game up. And then I pretty much immediately stop for the day once I die (even on easy difficulty, Lincoln is VERY fragile).

I'll probably just send it back and hope someone does a decent LP for it.

Stealth and keep on the move more. The game really favors hit and run tactics.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Mafia 3 is the fastest selling title in the history of 2K games

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    I just finished it. Man that game was so good. Now I want a comic about Lincoln Clay written by Garth Ennis and drawn by Steve Dillon.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I just finished it. Man that game was so good. Now I want a comic about Lincoln Clay written by Garth Ennis and drawn by Steve Dillon.

Sadly, it's a little too late for that.

euj90n71sojo.png