As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Flash]: New New Season

DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
edited October 2018 in Debate and/or Discourse
This is a work in progress but clearly we need someplace to discuss the practical applications of metahuman powers. Edit: I've got the old OP over but need to update it a bit as it's like two seasons out of date.

Spoiler Policy: I'm going to state what I feel the thread has been doing: Spoilers for the current episode, especially for major plot points. Beyond that....eh, use your judgement. If it's not from the current season nobody has shown any evidence of caring. If you're dealing with anything unaired/casting news/future stuff then absolutely put that in spoilers and label them.
a6icr5g.jpg
Flash-40-Movie-Poster-Variant-461x700.jpg

The Flash is a DC Comics superhero who debuted in Showcase #4 in 1956, created by writer Robert Kanigher and artist Carmine Infantino. Central City police scientist Barry Allen is working late hours in the crime lab one rainy night when a bolt of lightning strikes him through the open skylight, sending him flying into a rack of unlabeled chemicals. The combination of lightning and chemicals ends up granting Barry the power to travel at superhuman speeds, and he dons a red costume to fight crime in his new identity as the Flash, the fastest man alive. Though his superhero name and powers of super-speed were based on an older character from 1940, everything else, from his secret identity to his costume to his origin story, was changed for the 1956 reboot, which is generally credited with revitalizing the popularity of superheroes and kicking off the Silver Age of comics (1956-1972).

pYDuXIG.jpg?1

He became one of the original members of the Justice League of America in that group's first appearance in 1960, alongside Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Aquaman, and the Martian Manhunter. Since then, the Flash has appeared regularly in Justice League-based media:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL8i_AnZQ18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXph0arElKs

In 1990, Flash got his own show, starring John Wesley Shipp as Barry Allen/The Flash. It was heavily influenced by the style and tone of the Tim Burton Batman that had been such a runaway success the year before, with a very set-designed, urban gothic fairytale feel (on a TV budget). A good word for it, looking back, is "quirky." Shipp gave a terrific performance, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJTEiAwndtc

The show also marked the first of Mark Hamill's appareances as the Trickster over what would come to be three separate fictional universes and 25 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_7XUxppxXM

That brings us to the present. In season two of CW's Arrow, Central City police scientist Barry Allen, who has a personal interest in weird and inexplicable crimes, traveled to Starling City to help Oliver Queen/Arrow solve a seemingly impossible case. At the end of the two-part episode, Barry returns to his job in Central City, only to be struck by lightning caused by the explosion of the city's new high-energy particle accelerator.

The first episode of CW's The Flash picks up where the Arrow two-parter left off. Barry awakes from a nine-month coma and soon learns that his body and perception of time have changed in inexplicable ways, granting him the ability to travel at supersonic speeds. He resolves to use this power to fight crime, but his motivation is more than simple civic duty: as a ten-year-old child, he witnessed his mother's murder at the hands of a man inside a ball of yellow lightning, before suddenly finding himself whisked away at impossible speeds to safety many blocks away. The police didn't believe his story, and Barry's father has spent over a decade in prison for the crime.

And Barry isn't the only one who was given powers the night the particle accelerator went haywire. These metahumans are everywhere, and some of them are nasty. Barry has to team up with his new friends at STAR Labs to help contain the metahuman menace while working overtime to catch the man who murdered his mother and prove his father's innocence.

CBLXjNa.jpg?1

Barry Allen/The Flash (Grant Gustin) - A forensic scientist working for the Central City Police Department. After his father went to prison for his mother's death, Barry went to live with Joe West, the detective who closed the case, who became almost a surrogate father to him, as well as a mentor at his job. Barry is smart, passionate, and has a strong sense of justice, but can let his impulses and emotions get away from him, a quality some of his enemies are learning to exploit. Barry has nursed a crush on Iris since childhood but has only recently ever spoken of it.

h3vbuT5.jpg?1

Joe West (Jesse L. Martin) - The man who put Barry's father in prison but felt responsible for the boy's welfare. Avuncular and sharply observant, Joe is a good man and a good cop but has a bad habit of withholding information from people "for their own good." This has recently blown up in his face.

kAtgsQ1.jpg?2

Iris West (Candice Patton) - Joe West's daughter, now a junior reporter at Central City Picture News. She believed the rumors of "the Streak" before the police or media and tirelessly dug for the truth, but was kept in the dark about Barry's secret identity, and his feelings for her, until recently, leading her to feel hurt and betrayed. She feels something for Barry, too, but is in a relationship with Det. Eddie Thawne, Joe's partner in the force.

pNW4hHr.jpg?1

Cisco Ramon (Carlos Valdes) - STAR Labs' mechanical genius, Cisco is responsible for creating the Flash suit and crafting the high-tech gadgets that Barry sometimes needs to help catch supervillains. An enthusiastic consumer of comics and movies, Cisco has also given himself the unofficial responsibility for coming up with the codenames for all of the Flash's metahuman archenemies. He shares a name with DC's vibration-powered disco-themed hero Vibe and might be getting his own powers at some point.

yEvEriz.png?1

Caitlin Snow (Danielle Panabaker) - STAR Labs' resident biologist and medical expert, Caitlin is responsible for monitoring Barry's vital signs through the Flash suit and crafting antivenoms, growing clones in petri dishes, and all that messy organic stuff. The apparent death of her fiancee Ronnie Raymond in the collider explosion exacerbated her natural tendency to be pensive and withdrawn, but Barry and Cisco's enthusiasm - as well as the discovery that Ronnie is alive, mostly - has revitalized her. Caitlin shares a name with DC's ice-powered villainess Killer Frost so might be taking a dark turn in the future.

hXUHacj.jpg?1

Eddie Thawne (Rick Cosnett) - Joe West's partner on the police force and Iris's would-be fiancee before being abducted by the Reverse-Flash, Eddie is a smart, dedicated, loyal, and ethical cop who is a good boyfriend to Iris and a good friend to Barry - somewhat to Barry's chagrin, since Barry's torch for Iris would be easier to carry if Eddie were a jerk.

UyermRZ.png?1

Dr. Henry Allen (John Wesley Shipp) - Barry's father, who has languished in prison for a decade and has deduced his son's secret identity - but refuses to let Barry break him out, insisting that his name be cleared "the right way."

iMml3o8.jpg

Captain Cold (Wentworth Miller) - Leonard Snart is a precise, calculating career bank robber who's in his line of work for the thrill and for the mental challenge of pitting his planning and expertise against the police and, now, the Flash. Having stolen some experimental weapons from STAR Labs to even the odds - in his case a freeze gun - he leads a team of thieves called The Rogues, and has learned the Flash's secret identity, but made a pact with Barry not to reveal it, and to avoid harming civilians, if the Flash will let Cold continue to play his game.

9sQ8UGe.png?1

Dr. Harrison Wells - The brilliant physicist behind STAR Labs and creator of the particle accelerator that gave Barry his powers (as well as seemingly cost Wells the use of his legs), Dr. Wells has been Barry's mentor and guide, helping him learn to come to grips with his powers and pushing him to excel. An enigmatic man, we've known from the beginning that Wells can secretly walk and that he has a newspaper in the basement with a date of 2024 and a headline about the disappearance of The Flash. And now, at last, we've learned the truth: the real Dr. Wells was murdered 15 years ago, his place in time taken by Eobard Thawne, a time-traveling supervillain from the 25th century, better known as the Reverse-Flash: the "man in yellow" who killed Barry's mother.
megRFfO.jpg

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
DevoutlyApathetic on

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Did we just... Flashpoint again?

EDIT: Oh wait, it's just old OP content.

Wearingglasses on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

You have given my a glorious idea for how to edit the OP. Now to find the time.

• see317see317 Registered User regular

You have given my a glorious idea for how to edit the OP. Now to find the time.

Run, DA, RUN!

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Tomorrow's synopsis:
    Desperate to understand what is happening to her, Caitlin visits her mother, Dr. Tannhauser, a renowned biomedical researcher, in the hopes that her mother can provide some answers about Caitlin's growing meta-human powers. However, when Dr. Tannhauser treats her daughter like a test subject, Caitlin grows cold and brings up past wounds causing the two to have a major blowout. Meanwhile, after a mysterious new meta-human attacks Central City, Barry tries to convince Julian to let him assist on the case.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Re Julian
    It's really weird to me that Barry wouldn't be Senior lab tech since Julian's field is literally 2 years old and that somehow he isn't allowed to assist on meta cases at all even though even post retcon he solved most meta cases on his own.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Tonight's Episode
    Is Catlin's mom Oliver's mom?

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Is there a good place to find a watch order for Flash and Arrow episodes?

Google search gives varied results

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    The CW site. All the episodes are on there and on the app.

I sound like a commercial now.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Is there a good place to find a watch order for Flash and Arrow episodes?

Google search gives varied results
    http://arrow.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_crossover_episodes
    Arrow Seasons 1 & 2
    Then basically alternate episodes of Flash Season 1 and Arrow Season 3 (Flash, Arrow)
    Pause and watch Vixen Season 1 before Flash S1E18
    After Flash S1 / Arrow S3, add Supergirl to the rotation (Supergirl, Flash, Arrow)
    Keep alternating until Arrow S4E08, then add Legends of Tomorrow into the mix (Supergirl, Flash, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow)
    ...it's either Flash S2E17 or S2E18 that precedes the Supergirl S1E18 crossover, but it isn't mentioned in Flash

There hasn't been any real crossover yet between the shows this season.

Tonight's episode was good, made me care more about the Barry/Julian dynamic than I ever have about Iris.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Tonight's Episode

She's Mulva!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMgHWQipby8

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    skeldare wrote: »
    Tonight's Episode

She's Mulva!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMgHWQipby8

This joke perplexed me for weeks growing up. Months maybe. And then I forgot about it.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So I really enjoyed that episode. Really hit the strong points of what made the show good:

Super generic spoilers:
    Barry being an icon of hope and optimism both in his private life and as the Flash. Cavanagh being utterly amazing as yet another Wells. Cisco dropping nerd and pop culture references. Barry and Iris not being creepy and weird, just being happy and sweet.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I want more of Earth-19's popculture references. Murder on the Titanic sounds like a fun movie. Who did it? Who cares, we're drowning!

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I want more of Earth-19's popculture references. Murder on the Titanic sounds like a fun movie. Who did it? Who cares, we're drowning!

In Barry's universe it's an episode on Doctor Who.

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Earth-2 Harry's gut is always right.

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I think it's interesting that "Flash" and "Lucifer" both had episodes titled "Monster" the same week.

• ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I always wonder how Star Labs is just...there. It's a company that used to have investors, employees, and other company business stuff. I'm sure a building like that is expensive to keep up and running, but in its current state I don't know what's going on. How do Cisco and Caitlin make a living? It was fun seeing how it turned out in Flashpoint and I still have to see Legends, but I read some spoilers. All we know is that Barry owns it now.

Just stuff that goes through my mind while I watch this show :rotate:

Armoroc on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Armoroc wrote: »
    I always wonder how Star Labs is just...there. It's a company that used to have investors, employees, and other company business stuff. I'm sure a building like that is expensive to keep up and running, but in its current state I don't know what's going on. How do Cisco and Caitlin make a living? It was fun seeing how it turned out in Flashpoint and I still have to see Legends, but I read some spoilers. All we know is that Barry owns it now.

Patents. Before the particle accelerator explosion Star Labs had its finger in just about every field of science and it was run by a time traveler so just everything anything it made is something useful and ahead of current tech and whatever they make to deal with the meta of the week can be patented for a more normal use. The lab also has satellites in orbit to collect data on various stuff which probably get rented out to government agencies and is contracted by CCP to provide them with the tech for dealing with metas. Plus its overhead is low you got the bills, 2 salaries + whatever benefits they get and everything else goes to Flash stuff. Wealth wise Barry is probably up there in the 1% club and might even beat Oliver Queen and no one asks why he still works as a CSI.

steam_sig.png
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Armoroc wrote: »

Patents. Before the particle accelerator explosion Star Labs had its finger in just about every field of science and it was run by a time traveler so just everything anything it made is something useful and ahead of current tech and whatever they make to deal with the meta of the week can be patented for a more normal use. The lab also has satellites in orbit to collect data on various stuff which probably get rented out to government agencies and is contracted by CCP to provide them with the tech for dealing with metas. Plus its overhead is low you got the bills, 2 salaries + whatever benefits they get and everything else goes to Flash stuff. Wealth wise Barry is probably up there in the 1% club and might even beat Oliver Queen and no one asks why he still works as a CSI.

Barry might own the company, but I doubt he is looking at the financials of it. There is probably some accountant in some other city who is running the books and making sure the bills gets paid. And Barry might not have realized that he could put himself on payroll, so he's living on the CSI pay because he's smart but not too bright or otherwise Flash Season 2 would have never happened in the first place to have to do Flashpoint.

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    A company like STAR wouldn't have been purely privately held either, i think, let alone a sole proprietorship which is what Thawne giving the whole operation to Barry in a will would imply. R&D needs upfront cash and capital, which means major investors. Unless Wells was born a billionaire he would've needed a ton of investors and stuff, and those investors would have demanded that the accelerator either get repaired and reactivated, or be dismantled for parts in the liquidation proceedings so that they could recoup some of their losses.

Honestly the easier way to run it, plot-wise, would be to say ARGUS bought the facility out after the explosion because they knew the metahuman stuff was coming and knew it could be used as a containment facility, using the public excuse that they had to have somebody research the possible fallout from the explosion, and that Caitlyn, Cisco, and Wells' official jobs were to research the fallout from the explosion on ARGUS' dime.

Mr Khan on
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    A company like STAR wouldn't have been purely privately held either, i think, let alone a sole proprietorship which is what Thawne giving the whole operation to Barry in a will would imply. R&D needs upfront cash and capital, which means major investors. Unless Wells was born a billionaire he would've needed a ton of investors and stuff, and those investors would have demanded that the accelerator either get repaired and reactivated, or be dismantled for parts in the liquidation proceedings so that they could recoup some of their losses.

Honestly the easier way to run it, plot-wise, would be to say ARGUS bought the facility out after the explosion because they knew the metahuman stuff was coming and knew it could be used as a containment facility, using the public excuse that they had to have somebody research the possible fallout from the explosion, and that Caitlyn, Cisco, and Wells' official jobs were to research the fallout from the explosion on ARGUS' dime.

I'm not certain that attempting to read anything more than "Barry owns Star Labs now and it works somehow" is going to be a fruitful endeavor.

Given all the time travel on these shows, I'm waiting for someone to get needed funds by going back and depositing the money in their pocket, then going forward to withdraw it after the interest turns it into $billions.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I think it's interesting that "Flash" and "Lucifer" both had episodes titled "Monster" the same week.

i'm slowly falling away from Lucifer. The plots were getting. . .murky.

I'm like 3 or 4 episodes behind. Has it improved?

steam_sig.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular

Depends on what you mean by "murky".
    I mean, it's still a police procedural show, so there's a weekly murder that gets solved by Lucifer being Lucifer.

The long running plot seems to be moving forward.
    Uriel shows up with Azrael's blade in an attempt to kill the Angel's mother. Lucifer gets the blade and kills Uriel and is currently in an even deeper self loathing state.
    Last episode Mom took Amendiel to where Uriel was buried and he got pissed off at God for not doing anything or being clearer about what He wanted. Seems he may have fallen from Grace completely.
    Chloe finalized her divorce and is now rooming with Maze
    All in all, I still enjoy the show. But I'm easily entertained and the super proficient pseudo cop trope is one of my favorite tropes.

It's getting dark. Like, there is a whole episode of Lucifer being super self-destructive for shit he has done. And Mazi gets a friend.

Thrawne-Wells wouldn't need to be born a millionaire, he is literally a super scientist from the future. It'd take him five seconds to rattle off a patent application for some remarkable new technology and use it to make enough cash to just win the stock market with future knowledge. Sure this isn't super realistic but it is perfectly acceptable for comic book levels of realistic.

Barry being Barry and being completely oblivious to just how much money is there is rather humorous though. Him crashing with Cisco when he could probably just live in a hotel permanently and that sort of thing.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular

Thrawne-Wells wouldn't need to be born a millionaire, he is literally a super scientist from the future. It'd take him five seconds to rattle off a patent application for some remarkable new technology and use it to make enough cash to just win the stock market with future knowledge. Sure this isn't super realistic but it is perfectly acceptable for comic book levels of realistic.

Barry being Barry and being completely oblivious to just how much money is there is rather humorous though. Him crashing with Cisco when he could probably just live in a hotel permanently and that sort of thing.

As Thawne said:
    'Cause I'm a genius where I come from. Imagine how smart that makes me here.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

It's getting dark. Like, there is a whole episode of Lucifer being super self-destructive for shit he has done. And Mazi gets a friend.
    Maze and Trixie have been friends (of a sort) since the first season.

sig.gif
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Barry probably just decided off camera that the money he could be paying himself was better off for Flash stuff fighting crime. Plus it is tied to Thawne which will remind him of the time his mother got killed and how much of bummer that was.

steam_sig.png
    Sorce wrote: »

Yeah, but Trixie's innocent having a profound effect on Mazi was really great last episode. Do we have a Lucifer thread? I feel like we should have one.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

Yeah, but Trixie's innocent having a profound effect on Mazi was really great last episode. Do we have a Lucifer thread? I feel like we should have one.

I try to get Lucifer discussion going in the SE++ TV thread, and the reaction is resoundingly "that show couldn't possibly be good."

I mean, it has a way to go before it competes with iZombie as a supernatural procedural, but it still hits the spot.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Why is Caitlin being stupid. Whhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyy.

"Oh no, these powers were the same as the evil version of me! I should keep them secret, as the others will never accept me like this. Especially not Cisco, who has the same powers as the evil version of him, and Barry who has the same powers as the men who killed his parents."
    The only way this could get worse is if she confides in Joe, and he advises her to keep it secret from everyone for their own good. How does that work? SpeedforceJoe Logic!

I sure hope when she offs someone with them it's not as contrived as idiot in the lab, too.

edited November 2016
    I think the problem is that Caitlin isn't herself when she really gets to use them. Like, she almost killed the lab tech creep. So... it's not just the powers that are changing, it's her personality that is too, and she's known this longer than we have.

Edit: Knowing tv writers, she's going to have split personality disorder that manifests itself as Earth-2 Killer Frost. Because lazy writing is lazy.

Grunt's Ghosts on
    She should have at least popped his arms off, no big loss if she did kill him giving the fact he kidnapped her and announced he was going to turn her into a lab rat. Of course, it seems the other option is a kid we're supposed to feel sorry for...

This episode gets worse, I need to stop thinking about it. :P

Yea, subtle this ain't. Like the lab tech wasn't distracted by the prospect of an amazing discovery, he was full on ready to build himself a science dungeon and toss her in there.

As for not telling folks....it's the CW. This kind of shit is essentially required. It makes zero sense at all since nobody on the team is going to give a single shit and will just get busy helping her instead of going all "Oh no, it's EVVVVIIIIILLLLL."

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    "Oh no, these powers were the same as the evil version of me! I should keep them secret, as the others will never accept me like this. Especially not Cisco, who has the same powers as the evil version of him, and Barry who has the same powers as the men who killed his parents."
    The only way this could get worse is if she confides in Joe, and he advises her to keep it secret from everyone for their own good. How does that work? SpeedforceJoe Logic!

*sigh* They need to step up their game with writing her, the bad news is - this is an improvement over seasons 1 and 2. :(

Yup. Positive: She has a storyline! It doesn't revolve around a man! Amazing! Negative: She still doesn't come across as a person so much as a plot progressing construct.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    In the comics Killer frost needs to absorb heat to live. E2 Frost had Ronnie who has heat to spare. Catlin not so much.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.