As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Double checking a computer quote

The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple,unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
One of my friends is making me a computer.

My parents decided to make this as difficult as humanely possible.

Basically I want you wonderous people to tell me if this is a good computer or If I should keep looking around.

Here it is:
It is the AMD Master Package

Package - AMD Master
Motherboard - ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe - $189
CPU - AMD AM2 6000+ - $194
RAM - 4GB 2x Geil Ultra 4/12 (2x2x1024) - $207
Hard Drive - Segate 500GB 7200.11 - $206
Graphics Card - 8800GT 512MB EVGA SuperClocked - $411
Optical Drive - ASUS DL DVD+-RW 20x w/LS - $44
Case - Raidmax Ninja Black - $110
Power Supply - Coolermaster xtreme 550w - $76
Operating System - Vista Home Premium x86 OEM - $133
Misc. Costs - 2x courier tickets - $44
Accessories - SATA Power Cable - $6

Total Cost $1,670 ($50 labour)

Take note this is in AUS dollar.

Opinions? Improvements?

Take note this is formulated for the Raidmax Caing, so the whole thing is up in the air for now.

The Black Hunter on

• Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Erm... alot of those prices are off.

X2 6000+ costs $160

4 gigs of decent corsair can be found for around $120(in 2x2x1024, like that). Don't spend extra on crappier ram.

The 8800GT EVGA SSC goes for like $320 or so, so thats pretty damn overpriced.

Don't bother with a $110 raidmax case, imho. Go for a similarly priced antec, you will thank me.

Nitpicky, but does that Power Supply really not have enough sata power cables for your needs?

Also, the harddrive is $100 overpriced. Christ.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Are you in America?

If so that would explain the prices.

If you are in Aus, then I will need to have a serious talk with my friend.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ohh. You're one of those labour loving kangaroo riders.

Yeah, I guess those prices are fairly close then(Though I don't know really). Still, I recommend Corsair/OCZ/Mushkin over Geil, If you can find a similar price.

Raslin on

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Raslin wrote: »
    Ohh. You're one of those labour loving kangaroo riders.

Yeah, I guess those prices are fairly close then(Though I don't know really). Still, I recommend Corsair/OCZ/Mushkin over Geil, If you can find a similar price.

You can't ride kangaroo's, but you can have your entire pack of 3 pig hunting dogs killed by one

And thank god, I thought I'd have to get the chainsaw out.

And the Raidmax case is one of the cheap ones, and looks totally Bad ass.

Apparently they are pretty moderate in performance too.

One more thing, will I be able to play Dawn of War on this, another friend of mine, a moron no less, has frightened me with the news of not being able to play DoW with DX10 stuff.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Unless you're planning to use it for extensive video editing, I honestly think 4GB is overkill and you could safely drop it to 2GB and not notice the difference. You have plenty of Video RAM (512MB) anyway.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I want it as futureproof as possible, and more RAM just means faster does it not?

the price difference wouldn't be amazingly significant anyway.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I want it as futureproof as possible, and more RAM just means faster does it not?

32-bit Windows can't address more than three gigs of RAM.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »

32-bit Windows can't address more than three gigs of RAM.

:(

Any alternatives?

The friend said I can mix'n'match parts.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Well, its more like 3.5gigs of ram. Really, yeah, some ram isn't being utilized, but... shit happens.

Raslin on

• Options
    edited November 2007
    Raslin wrote: »
    Well, its more like 3.5gigs of ram. Really, yeah, some ram isn't being utilized, but... shit happens.

It will be implemented soon though I take it.

So, is this a sound set-up?

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You'll be able to use all four gigs running one of the 64-bit flavors of XP or Vista, but I hear that might lead to other complications involving program/driver compatibility.

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm cool with losing out on 500mb.

It gives breathing room.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    blizzard224blizzard224 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have a very similar rig - same CPU and Mobo, only difference is I got a GTX 8800 in mine. 2gb of ram is really all you need, I don't think I've really ever hit 100 percent ram usage ever with 32bit Vista (which is a fantastic OS from what I can tell, by the way. I am yet to system hang at all).

For the case, may I suggest the Antec 900... earlier revisions has some issues with the motherboard lining up with the backplate in certain Mobos, but I have one and my MN2 SLi Deluxe fits in perfectly.

You can, by the way, expect to be able to run anything on the market, including Crysis on High (ish, GT is slightly less performance than GTX, I run on very high with the latest drivers). Have fun with your rig!

(Oh, also, if you're getting it from a friend, make sure you get a full receipt or you'll be fucked with warranty!

blizzard224 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    I think you'd be hard pressed to find enough programs that you run simulatenously to even get near 2GB, let alone 4GB.

You can always upgrade from 2GB to 4GB later if you really need it.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Also note that with the OEM version of Vista you can't transfer it to another computer, for example if you upgrade the motherboard.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    LachLach Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Also note that with the OEM version of Vista you can't transfer it to another computer, for example if you upgrade the motherboard.

Fucking A. Just when I was starting to come around. They're just asking people to pirate their shit.

Lach on
  • Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lach wrote: »

Fucking A. Just when I was starting to come around. They're just asking people to pirate their shit.
    That's how it is with all OEM software, XP included.

You don't really have to worry about that limitation, though. If you install Vista on another computer, you might get flagged during activation. If you do, you just call MS, tell them you're installing it on the same computer or for the first time or something, they'll accept whatever you say. They give you a code, you put it into Vista's activation prompt thing, and then you're good to go.

I've done it once with OEM Vista closer to launch--nothing will have changed since then.

fogeyman on
  • Options
    LachLach Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    fogeyman wrote: »
    Lach wrote: »

That's how it is with all OEM software, XP included.

You don't really have to worry about that limitation, though. If you install Vista on another computer, you might get flagged during activation. If you do, you just call MS, tell them you're installing it on the same computer or for the first time or something, they'll accept whatever you say. They give you a code, you put it into Vista's activation prompt thing, and then you're good to go.

I've done it once with OEM Vista closer to launch--nothing will have changed since then.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Lach on