As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Monitors stopped working

CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed.TejasRegistered User regular
I've had two different samsung models go out on me. One was a crt and one was an lcd, both Samsung. They both died within 6 months of purchase, and sadly-I did not get a warranty plan on either considering Other monitors I've had have lasted for years, including the one I'm on (8 years so far without even a sign of a problem).

Could this be a problem with my actual PC diverting too much power to the monitor, refresh rate, or something other than a bad monitor?

Crayon on

• Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Why would you buy a warranty plan? Samsung warranties them directly for 2 or 3 years. Just call them up and they'll give you an outlet to send it to for repair.

stigweard on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    stigweard wrote: »
    Why would you buy a warranty plan? Samsung warranties them directly for 2 or 3 years. Just call them up and they'll give you an outlet to send it to for repair.

Ummm...I've done that on both and they require me to actually put down 200$ before I even send it to them.

Crayon on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    A regular repair place that is doing work on an out of warranty part would charge that, Samsung shouldn't be. Strange. Up here, worst you'd have ot pay is shipping one way.

stigweard on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    stigweard wrote: »
    A regular repair place that is doing work on an out of warranty part would charge that, Samsung shouldn't be. Strange. Up here, worst you'd have ot pay is shipping one way.

Yeah, one monitor I just bought in January and they still wanted to charge me something like 175$ for a replacement. I gave up and just went back to my old crt monitor.

This dialogue, however insightful it may be, doesn't answer my question though.

Crayon on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It's doubtful that the monitor cable could be giving enough power to damage the monitor without frying the videocard too. Chances are more likely that it is either bad luck or bad power. Do you get and slight flickers with the lights in your house, or burn out bulbs a little faster than what would be considered normal?

stigweard on
  • Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Running your monitor at an unsupported refresh rate (ie too high) could cause some side effects, but I don't think your monitor would go 'dead', as in refuse to turn on. Sounds more like a power problem than anything else.

sonictk on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Most monitors won't run beyond their highest reported refresh rate - you will get an out of range / sync message and no picture instead.

stigweard on