As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Elder Scrolls Online] It's the 2nd Era, so is this Oblivion 2, or Oblivion -1?

Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeerMarylandRegistered User regular
edited June 2021 in MMO Extravaganza
Cinematic Trailer:
Gameplay Trailer:

Help! I'm super duper new! What's a good resource for the basics!

The Hitchhiker's Guide to Tamriel

Help! I'm not as new, but I really want to fight people!

The Hitchhiker's Guide to Cyrodiil

What is The Elder Scrolls Online?
An ZeniMax Online Studios, sister company to Bethesda Game Studios (developers of The Elder Scrolls series and Fallout 3). It takes place in the Elder Scrolls universe, but in the Second Era - well before the events of Morrowind, Oblivion (both Third Era) and Skyrim (Fourth Era). Tiber Septim isn't even a thing yet.

How do I play with other PAers?
As of this moment, anybody can play with anybody with OneTamriel. Given that you can have alts in any alliance, alliance doesn't matter quite as much as it used to, though I think we have more characters on the Aldmeri Dominion than anything else.

What's the cost?

It's about $30 USD for the regular edition (Tamriel Unlimited). The Gold edition is $60 and comes bundled with the four main pieces of DLC released thus far: Imperial City, Orsinium, Thieves Guild, and Dark Brotherhood.

What about sub fees?

The sub fee is 100% optional. You do get goodies with it, but you can absolutely play just fine without (I do). If you choose to sub, you get the following as long as your sub is active:
  • Access to all the DLC (this goes away if your sub expires, however, unless you bought the DLC separately)
  • A Crafting Bank like Guild Wars 2's, so you can store all your crafting mats remotely and not have to worry about inventory or bank space (for many, this alone makes the sub worth it!)
  • The ability to dye outfits as well as armor
  • Crowns for the Crown Store (the game's cosmetic items shop, similar to Guild Wars 2's Black Lion Trading Company)
  • A 10% bonus to regular experience, crafting discipline experience, trait research (for crafting), and gold

What makes ESO different than other MMOs?

1. A robust, plot-based quest system, much like the mainline single-player Elder Scrolls games. For the most part, many of these quests are well-written, and most don't go into Kill Ten Rats territory. The downside is that questing is the best way to level, and the quests get VERY boring after the fourth or fifth time you've done them.
2. "Classes" are more of a guideline than anything else. Again, like main-line Elder Scrolls games, you build your character more based on what you want to do than what your class is. There ARE four classes, and some of those are better than others at certain things--Templars are the best healers, Dragon Knights are the best tanks, Nightblades are the best melee physical DPS, and Sorcerers are the best ranged DPS, and Wardens are still kinda being figured out but seem to be good at tanking and healing--but none of that is hard and fast. You can build an excellent Dragon Knight healer, a very strong Sorcerer or Nightblade tank... heck, my own main character is a ranged DPS Dragon Knight pyromancer. More on each class later.
3. Dynamic combat with dodging and blocking.
4. A well-rounded Justice system. You can burgle NPC houses, pickpocket NPCs, and even murder NPCs in the street (NPCs do respawn after a time because it's an MMO, but nonetheless...). Of course, if you get caught, the guards come after you... and unlike other Elder Scrolls games, the guards are no joke. They can and will wreck your day, even at high levels.
5. Really really REALLY big open-world PVP, very much like Dark Age of Camelot. Also the siege has ARC TARGETING!!! :o
6. Mother. Fucking. HOUSING.

What about end game? Are the raids?

There are Adventure Zones (areas designed for 4 players), and Trials (areas designed for 12 players). There are also the Veteran / higher tier Dungeons. And, of course, the aforementioned giant PVP zone is very much for endgame stuff.

Okay, so what can I play?

First off, there's three factions. Which faction you pick determines what races you have access to, what plotline you start with (though you can do all three on one character), and which Alliance that character is a member of in PVP.

The factions are...

100px-Aldmeri_Dominion.png
Aldmeri Dominion
This alliance, led by Queen Ayrenn (as voiced by Kate Beckinsale), consists of Altmer, Bosmer, and Khajiit. It controls the Summerset Isles, Elsweyr, and Valenwood. The Dominion was formed by the Altmer after restoring order to Valenwood and Elsweyr.

The main Penny Arcade NA and EU guilds are be Aldmeri Dominion, though most people have individual characters in each faction, and we don't exactly PVP a lot.

100px-Dc.png
Daggerfall Covenant
This alliance, led by King Emeric, consists of Orcs, Bretons, and Redguards. It controls High Rock, Hammerfell and the recently-recognized "province" of Orsinium. The Covenant was formed by the Bretons through much diplomacy, trade, and marriages.

100px-Online_ebonheart_crest.png
Ebonheart Pact
This alliance, led by Jorunn the Skald-King, consists of Dunmer, Argonians, and Nords. It controls Skyrim, Morrowind, and Black Marsh. The Pact was formed by the Dunmer, Argonians, and Nords through diplomacy due to the recent Akaviri Invasion.

Okay where's the PA guild?

ON PC:

Pax Arcadia is our main NA guild; it is Aldmeri Dominion. For an invite to the NA guild, message any of these people: first ten (image), eventually all of these folk will be able to invite

Ash Housewares is our main crafting guild (also NA); it is Ebonheart Pact. For an invite to Ash Housewares, message @LucidSeraph (spelled that way, not like my PA name) in-game.

Both guilds are super casual and open to most forms of play.

XBOX GUILD:

Oblivious inOblivion is run by @Wolfman0706 , whose ingame username is chaserman0706.

Guild Banks and Rules

Both guilds utilize a shared guild bank so that if you're not a subscriber you have somewhere to store the mountains and mountains of crafting materials you'll end up with. Ash Housewares was founded explicitly for furniture crafting with a side-order of end-game crafting, so it mostly has end-game material and a lot of housing stuff. Pax Arcadia has more low-level mats and general randomness.

Because AH has a few non-PA members, you need to ask me explicitly for bank access, just for safety reasons. You need a PA forum account for bank access, which is mostly just so that if your account gets compromised, I have a way to check to see if you're alive. Post in this thread or PM me if you want AH bank access.

The main rules of both guild banks:
  • DO feel free to use everything you find in the guild bank. That's what it's for.
  • DO NOT put anything in the guild bank you're not willing to lose! These are shared spaces, and the bank is there for the guild. If you want to store something that won't be used by someone else, USE YOUR OWN BANK. And, if you do put something in there and it vanishes, don't get salty about it -- you were warned.
  • IF you use a lot of a crafting material, PLEASE replace it when you next get the opportunity. You don't have to do it immediately, but it's common courtesy. For instance, if you eat a lot of Rubedite to do your crafting dailies, put more Rubedite back in after you've gotten some from harvesting or whatever.
  • DO feel free to put unusual level 160 gear into either bank -- people can deconstruct Intricate gear to level their crafting skills, some people can find uses for the gear when they hit 160 (this saved my butt with my first character; I was able to have gear that wasn't 100% terrible)
  • DON'T put in random gear that's under 150, *unless* that gear has a particular trait that you or someone else might be able to use for research (especially Nirnhoned). This clogs the bank with useless garbage.
  • DO put in recipes and motifs that you can't use, but please DON'T put in a lot of them if it looks like there's already a bunch in the guild bank. Again, clogging. 500 slots seems like a lot, but it can get used up.
  • DO NOT treat the Bank like your personal dumping ground for useless crap that you can't use. It's for stuff that either you can use later, or that you think other guild mates can use. If you can't use it, sell it.

OPTIONAL: Download the Roomba addon and use it to stack bank items. Guild Banks do not automatically stack (for a lot of complicated reasons), but we like to stack ours because 1. we've already established that it's a communal space and 2. it saves said space. Use it every time you put something in the bank, and, voila! Nice clean guild bank with lots of slots.

Add-ons and mods?

http://www.esoui.com/addons.php

What about builds and info and stuff?

Sadly, the community for ESO isn't very good about this sort of thing. Most of the info online is super outdated. However...

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Main_Page <= UESP.net has mostly-good basic info about the game itself, including quests, locations, etc.

https://alcasthq.com/ <= Has a whole bunch of builds, and, more importantly, keeps them actually updated.

TamrielFoundry is a website for build theorycrafting, but it's kind of annoying to navigate and requires you to dig around in forums. Still, there are some great builds there. Here's one particularly splendid example of a Stamina Nightblade:

http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/stamina-nightblade-pve-dps-for-morrowind/

http://deltiasgaming.com/ <= Often somewhat outdated, especially since the main contributor ragequit over sustain changes to Morrowind, but has some pretty solid builds, and the secondary guy still contributes. My DPS DragonKnight build is nonetheless based on the one listed there.

There is also, of course, a Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
Lucid_Seraph on

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Yeah that needs a lot of updating.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    My Werewolf bite is up for grabs if anyone wants one.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I just started on the Thieves Guild DLC. Is there some particular trick to pickpocketing?

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I just started on the Thieves Guild DLC. Is there some particular trick to pickpocketing?

Pickpocketing sucks.

At some point, when standing close by a mark, your percentage chance to succeed will jump up, but it doesn't matter because you'll get caught anyway.

Kind of want the Halloween event to be over on PC so I can stop looking at this boring robe.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    but my op is terrible and out of date :(

Well then write me a new one dude I literally don't even play this game. the only reason I lurk this thread is in case somebody gets the M'aiq the Liar dye so I can be like, "hey man I made that."

Is there a mod that shows me which research slots I have open so I know when to go start something?

• DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    Is there a mod that shows me which research slots I have open so I know when to go start something?

There are a few different options when it comes to research timer mods. Harven's Research Timers, AwesomeInfo, TraitBuddy, and
    more, differing heavily on matters of presentation and number of features.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Pickpocketing sucks.

At some point, when standing close by a mark, your percentage chance to succeed will jump up, but it doesn't matter because you'll get caught anyway.

What! I love pickpocketing. It's easy. I just stole and fenced 130 items at lunch today.

- You need to be stealthed/crouched behind the target
    - Make sure the eye is mostly closed and says "hidden"
    - Wait for the percent chance to steal to go green and pickpocket at that time
    - Wait for "suspicious" to go away and you can try to rob them again, but the chance goes down
    - After stealing 3 items a person's pockets are empty and you have to wait or kill them for more items from that specific person
    - If they go hostile, run away

Primary tip? Pickpocket fishermen. They are 100% invested in their fish and not paying attention to their pockets. Also beggars. But fishermen are best because they're often down at the harbor in less-patrolled areas, off on their own. Vulkhel Guard is awesome for people out standing in the middle of nowhere near the ocean.

Commoners will have worse steal percentages than those groups. Do not try artisans, tradesmen, or nobles. After you've leveled up legerdemain and invested in the chance to steal passive, it gets way better. I have a 100% chance to steal all 3 times on fishermen and beggars, not even needing that green moment for the first two items.

And get medium armor stealth passives, along with other legerdemain and thieves' guild stuff.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    Did my random dungeon and got City of Ash 2. Wow, that was Wildstar levels of Red Crap On Ground.

Back at launch I didn't really do much in the way of dungeons beyond the first one for each alliance. Now that I've done some random dungeons and gotten thrown into a fair mix of them... man, they've done a pretty amazing job at boss fights. A lot of them feel like proper five-man raid bosses with interesting mechanics.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    but my op is terrible and out of date :(

Well then write me a new one dude I literally don't even play this game. the only reason I lurk this thread is in case somebody gets the M'aiq the Liar dye so I can be like, "hey man I made that."

Clearly you should've written the OP as M'aiq.

How do you get it?

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Got my title from the halloween event. Those last few skulls dragged on, especially when I realized they weren't counting the past few days.

Steam: offday
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    the Orsinium DLC is 75% off right now, costing 700 crowns. The CE with the bear pets is 2000 crowns (60% off)

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    @Pixelated Pixie You ever settle on a tabard?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Well, I tried guys. I bought this on Steam and tried to play it. Here's my story:
    • Bought on steam, downloaded the game. 60 GB later, okay I'm ready to play!
    • Nope, JUST KIDDING, download 30 more GB through the patcher. Fine.
    • Press the play button. Get to the login screen and receive an error for 30 minutes telling me it can't log me in. Continually restart the program until it randomly works and I can log in now??
    • Attempt to create a character. Watch a cinematic, get to a loading screen, and...
    • Continue loading forever. Repeat this process 4-5 times and for 45 minutes.

Uninstalled the game and got a refund. This is disappointing too, I was looking forward to trying it out because I've heard good things. I just lost my patience, I had been trying to get this game to run for half a day at this point and I was just done. I could probably resolve it with some internet sleuthing or contacting support, maybe I'll give it a shot in a week or two.

Steam: Spawnbroker
    @Spawnbroker Do you have multiple monitors?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Gonna go with the mudcrab icon because why not. I picked out a shape and pattern.

Just stuck on colors. I was gonna put up a poll or something. Not sure how many even care, but just in case...

How about we just make this informal: if you care what color(s) the tabard is, PM or post your preferences. There's 3 colors: background, border, and icon. If I get several decent suggestions, I'll put up a short mini-poll. If I don't get any suggestions, I'll pick the colors myself (and you can bet pink will feature prominently :twisted: ).

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~

No, single monitor. My monitor is set to 144hz though, would that matter? I'm on Windows 10 on the latest nvidia drivers if that helps, too.

No, single monitor. My monitor is set to 144hz though, would that matter? I'm on Windows 10 on the latest nvidia drivers if that helps, too.

I use two monitors and I've found that switching over to the other monitor while the game is loading makes it take alot longer.

Doesn't soubd like that's the case here, though.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Gonna go with the mudcrab icon because why not. I picked out a shape and pattern.

Just stuck on colors. I was gonna put up a poll or something. Not sure how many even care, but just in case...

How about we just make this informal: if you care what color(s) the tabard is, PM or post your preferences. There's 3 colors: background, border, and icon. If I get several decent suggestions, I'll put up a short mini-poll. If I don't get any suggestions, I'll pick the colors myself (and you can bet pink will feature prominently :twisted: ).

I don't have a strong preference, but I'm always down for some Green and White (next year, my beloved Spartans. Next year.)

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited November 2016
    Well, I tried guys. I bought this on Steam and tried to play it. Here's my story:
    • Press the play button. Get to the login screen and receive an error for 30 minutes telling me it can't log me in. Continually restart the program until it randomly works and I can log in now??
    • Attempt to create a character. Watch a cinematic, get to a loading screen, and...

Uninstalled the game and got a refund. This is disappointing too, I was looking forward to trying it out because I've heard good things. I just lost my patience, I had been trying to get this game to run for half a day at this point and I was just done. I could probably resolve it with some internet sleuthing or contacting support, maybe I'll give it a shot in a week or two.

You may have first started trying to log in the exact moment they were doing morning Monday maintenance? They do it every Monday on NA servers. And then maybe it kept having issues due to the rush of people logging in at once post-maintenance, or perhaps maint wasn't even quite finished by then.

When I encountered that it was 2 weeks ago, one of the first days I played, and it didn't tell me "sorry we're doing maintenance," it just failed. I had to google whether there were problems (and there actually were, maintenance was extended that day and people were pissed).

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky

You may have first started trying to log in the exact moment they were doing morning Monday maintenance? They do it every Monday on NA servers. And then maybe it kept having issues due to the rush of people logging in at once post-maintenance, or perhaps maint wasn't even quite finished by then.

When I encountered that it was 2 weeks ago, one of the first days I played, and it didn't tell me "sorry we're doing maintenance," it just failed. I had to google whether there were problems (and there actually were, maintenance was extended that day and people were pissed).

I was doing all of this on a Saturday. There might have been some emergency maintenance or something, who knows.

I might try buying the game through their website since it's like 15 dollars right now, instead of Steam. Maybe the Steam version is having issues.

Through whose website?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Ah, you're right. Looks like it was some shady third party key reseller website. Hmmm, not sure I'm willing to drop $30 on a game that probably doesn't work on my PC.

• GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    I'll get that Wrothgar DLC, not interested in IC or Ass guys so this is kind of neat for them to give a discount just for my needs. And I thought it was 750 Crowns? Anyway, cheap as soap.

I wouldn't buy the game through Steam, I'd use their site. No middleman screwing your game installation. And at least for me their laucnher has always worked. Abandon Steam and you will be redeemed, pilgrim.

So I have my first 50! Now what? What to do to start gearing up?

I don't have a strong preference, but I'm always down for some Green and White (next year, my beloved Spartans. Next year.)

So we have one vote for green and white and...

That's it? Anyone else?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    edited November 2016
    So I have my first 50! Now what? What to do to start gearing up?

From what I understand, gearing up isn't like most other MMOs where everyone says "on a new level 50, go to this specific place, that will get you basic endgame gear for high end content."

In this game it's all based on which set bonuses are most beneficial for your particular build, which varies with what you want to do. Some of the better sets are from crafting, some are from particular zone drops. Here's a list of all sets in the game and where they drop, hover over the set name for its bonuses. For example one of the ones recommended for my build is Night Mother's Gaze, which is from crafting and requires 6 traits researched for all equipment.

But besides that...actually a new level 50 isn't really at max level, yet. You've essentially got 16 more "levels" to go. Need to get to CP160 before equipment drops with the current maximum benefit available.

So we have one vote for green and white and...

That's it? Anyone else?

Green with white lining sounds cool.

UncleSporky on
    Yeah, but once you hit 50 your gear starts scaling to whatever and I lost 3k health the second I dinged 50 because I have a bunch of pre-50 stuff.

Doing a bunch of Wrothgar dailies and hoping I get some appropriate upgrades. Especially now that you get double rewards for them.

One thing that is weird to me about this game, but still clearly a necessary retcon, is the state of the orcs. Considering this game is set before Daggerfall, it's strange to see them in essentially a post-Daggerfall state already.

In Arena and Daggerfall, orcs were just regular monsters to be killed, with exactly one orc, Gortwog of Orsinium, being non-hostile and important to the plot of the second game. AFAIK the ending(s) of Daggerfall was what elevated the orcs to a playable race, transforming them and their culture to an extent. For anyone not familiar with Daggerfall, spoilers:
    The game's primary objective is the find the keys to a giant mech, which is somehow even more powerful/godlike than you would expect a giant mech to already be, and then decide who to give the keys to. Somehow all of 6 or 7 different endings happen at once (The Dragon Break), one of which is giving the keys to the orcs, who use the mech to take over the bay area and establish themselves as a prominent race.

But I know it's not like we can ever really move backward now and lose playable races that have been there since Morrowind.

Also weird to imagine Orsinium somehow going from this:
    OGyERgL.jpg
    To this:
    MJCDNSj.jpg

Heh. Too squishy to do public dungeons with this pre-50 gear. Yeah, back to dailies for leveled rewards.

edited November 2016
    Join group for dungeon

Vote-kicked because I was a mere CP25

Wait 13 minutes for timer to reset so I can queue again

MMOs! :rotate:

edit: And thank you, game, for defaulting me to veteran dungeon queue after dinging 50!

Echo on
    edited November 2016
    We really gotta do some Penny Arcade dungeon runs or something.

One of my guilds was like "hey we need one DPS to help escort somebody on their first dungeon" last night, and I said "hey I've never done one either, can I come along" and they took me and it was fine. I dunno if it was an especially good tank or healer but no one died, there was basically no group chat discussion other than me thanking everyone for their patience afterward. Guilds are probably the best bet.

I'm in Penny Arcade, Dragon's Talon (seems less active/talky), Craftaholics, Ancient Traiders, and now Ancient...something else, sister guild to the other. They're pretty friendly if not particularly geared toward one specific goal.

Being in mostly full guilds is awesome, I can warp almost anywhere in the world at any time for free. Or even just get out of a dungeon/back to a wayshrine if I don't feel like walking.

UncleSporky on
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Ive been running dungeons with friends constantly, had a PA Person join in last night for a banished cells instance. I'm not very high, so really only doing normal dungeons, but down for inviting others and knocking them out with friends.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    Wish they'd actually have the option to transfer between EU/US, but I'm too invested in this guy to reroll from scratch. I'd pay some moneys for a transfer.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    (lore stuff about how orcs are doing OK now but in a few hundred years shit will be fucked)

Easy answer: some kind of negative space wedgie happened or whatever

Better answer: We've still got a few hundred years before Arena. A LOT can happen in a hundred years -- the Orcs could have a big societal collapse because some warmonger gets into power and ruins everything; the Bretons, Redguards, Nords, Imperials, or any combination of the above could decide to invade for all sorts of reasons (imperials bc they gotta Bring Everybody Under the Empire, redguards & bretons bc of all kinds of ancient bad blood, Nords bc idk they wanna fight somebody). There's all kinds of reasons that Wrothgar & Orsinium as it stands in this game could be destroyed again and become the much-diminished place it is in Daggerfall. Heck, imagine a Daggerfall remix where it's the ruins of ESO Orsinium that the Orc faction is based out of.

... But also, linear time doesn't actually mean anything in the Elder Scrolls universe anyway. It's one of the franchises where I just kinda accept lore not making any sense when you look at it closely because there's an in-universe explanation for why lore wouldn't make any sense.

edited November 2016
    Well really I just love the idea of in-universe plot stuff having an impact on mechanical choices players get to make in later games.

Like sorry, orcs were brutes before this specific point. Didn't get along with any other races, as much a player race as a riekling or daedra.

But I get it.

UncleSporky on
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Good to note that the Orsinium in ESO isn't even the first Orsinium, there's actually the ruins of an older Orsinium that is a Public Dungeon in Wrothgar. So it is, perfectly reasonable to assume that Orsinium might be one of those orcish symbols that is built up and ultimately destroyed by the machinations of its peoples.
    Spoiler regarding Old Orsinium:
    The stuff you learn in Old Orsinium seems to suggest that Malacath tends to take an interest in the happenings of Orsinium. I imagine having a Daedric prince of struggle and conflict is never a great way to ensure the stability of a city.