As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Household Hacker - Turkey Technology

MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
So I'm sure some of you have seen or heard of Household Hacker, a blog that posts informative do-it-yourselves on interesting ways to use household objects as technology. You can be your own MacGuyver with the help of a little science and some crap you have lying around.

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, they've put up a video on how to cook a Turkey, using a simple light bulb and DVD-R assembly as your heat source. Awesome!

I tried some of these and while it was pretty cool powering a TV with an AAA battery, it isn't very practical. I mean you'd need to buy a pack of batteries with every movie you watch just to get through them. Maybe something different would work better, like a large flashlight battery or a car battery? hmm, I don't know, I'm not a trained science professional like those guys.

So has anyone else tried these? What other cool stuff can you make with some simple household items?

Monoxide on

• yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    TurkeyTech, you say?

...Great. Now I have cyborg turkeys on my mind...And turkey terminators.

I blame you for this, mono.

yalborap on
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Know what else is a household item that you can cook a turkey with? An oven!

Is this a comedy site? Power a 120V TV with a 1.5V battery? SRSLY?

jackal on
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm trying the speaker. The other stuff just seems ridiculous. Did you honestly get a tv to work on a AAA battery Mono?

DekuStick on
  • ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This can only end one way...

turketronuq9.jpg

ArcticXC on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fake.

KiTA on
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If it's the stuff I think it is, it's a product from the SA forums. There was a thread in SH/SC about it. :P

I really want to try the AAA battery powering a TV, but our UK plugs are 3 pronged :(

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Best site ever! I laughed so much. Thanks for not giving it away in the OP, and leaving me with a few moments of total confusion. :D

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    God... It's like a horrid deadpan joke. I find it funny and yet sad at the same time, since I know people are going to try this shit on their own and seriously screw up something at some point.

I really should show this guy that somebody one-up'd his charging an iPod with an onion by charging an iPod with a baseball. I mean... look at all that PE stored in the baseball! It could be endless!

Granted, some of my friends fell for it and that makes me laugh so much it hurts.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • ShmorkyShmorky Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    But, it's the internet. Everything on the internet is real!! You're just trying to destroy my world!! D:

Shmorky on
  • revolverevolve Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's a joke, FYI. From a guy at the Something Awful forums.

revolve on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    revolve wrote: »

gee thanks ruiny mc ruinerpants

Monoxide on
    edited November 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »
    revolve wrote: »

gee thanks ruiny mc ruinerpants

In October 1997, Jacobs was repackaged as Kane, the younger half-brother of The Undertaker. He re-debuted in the WWF at Badd Blood on October 5, costing The Undertaker the victory in the first ever Hell in a Cell match with then WWF European Champion Shawn Michaels. Kane and The Undertaker feuded with one another over the following year, during which time their history vis-à-vis one another was expounded upon.

Jacobs won his first match as Kane against Mankind at the Survivor Series. In the weeks prior on RAW, Kane had randomly attacked other wrestlers including Ahmed Johnson and Mankind's alter ego Dude Love. The Undertaker initially refused to fight him, saying he would not fight his own "flesh and blood". After a brief partnership, Kane betrayed his brother when he cost him the title once again; he made a run-in in The Undertaker's WWF Championship title match with Shawn Michaels at the 1998 Royal Rumble. After the match, Kane locked The Undertaker in a casket and set it on fire. This provoked The Undertaker into returning to defeat Kane at WrestleMania XIV on March 29.[4] They continued to feud until Unforgiven on April 26, when The Undertaker defeated Kane in an inferno match with slight help from Vader.[5]

On May 19, Kane was revealed to be the result of a furtive union between The Undertaker's mother and Paul Bearer, an employee at the funeral home in Death Valley owned by The Undertaker's parents. When Kane and The Undertaker were children, Kane "accidentally" burned down the funeral home, killing their parents and hideously scarring himself both physically and mentally (the parents of The Undertaker are supposedly buried somewhere on Long Island); both The Undertaker and Kane thought the other died in the fire. During an episode of RAW taped on Long Island, Kane and Bearer ostensibly exhumed their bodies and brought them to the arena. Bearer, who survived the fire, hid Kane in a mental asylum as he grew up and went on to form an alliance with The Undertaker (the details of "Kane's" early life were recounted in the book Journey into Darkness). After suffering mistreatment at the hands of The Undertaker, Bearer opted to bring Kane in to the WWF in order to gain vengeance upon The Undertaker.

The Kane character is portrayed as being psychologically unstable: depressed, schizophrenic, extremely violent, and quick to anger. Like his half-brother, Kane is supposedly able to summon fire and bolts of lightning at will (although this particular talent has been alternately emphasised or de-emphasised depending upon the creative direction of the WWF at the time).

After defeating The Undertaker to win a WWF Championship title shot, Kane won the WWF Championship at the King of the Ring, defeating Steve Austin in a First Blood match.[6] If Kane had lost, the match stipulations required that he set himself on fire. The next night on Raw, Kane lost the title back to Stone Cold. He went on to form a tag team with Mankind, with whom he won the WWF Tag Team Championship. After losing the titles and turning on Mankind, Kane formed a short lived tag team with his brother. The brothers fought one another for the vacant WWF Championship at Judgment Day, with the match ending in a no-contest.[7] During the match, the Undertaker betrayed Kane for Paul Bearer, thus making Kane a tweener and turning Undertaker heel. Kane went on to take part in the "Deadly Games" tournament for the WWF Championship at the Survivor Series but was eliminated by The Undertaker in the quarter-finals.[8]

1999-2000

In 1999, Kane joined The Corporation. He eventually turned face after he was betrayed by Corporation member Chyna and thrown out of the stable. Shortly afterward, Kane formed a tag team with X-Pac. While teaming with X-Pac, Kane evolved from being mute to aided speech through an electrolarynx to speaking (albeit infrequently) unaided (with his first words being "suck it") and acquired a girlfriend, Tori. The tag team broke apart when X-Pac rejoined D-Generation X. In the course of their feud, Tori betrayed Kane and joined D-Generation X, and the former partners engaged in a lengthy feud that finally ended at WrestleMania 2000, where Kane triumphed over his former partner.[9]

Shortly after WrestleMania, Kane suffered a hand injury that kept him out of action for a month. When he returned, it was to help The Undertaker and The Rock fight off the McMahon-Helmsley Faction. His involvement in this feud culminated in a main event match at King of the Ring against Vince and Shane McMahon, and then Champion Triple H.[10] The Undertaker and Kane's rivalry resurfaced during the match,[10] but they patched their relationship up soon after. Kane later turned heel once again by assaulting The Undertaker, leading to a match between the two at SummerSlam. The match ended when The Undertaker removed Kane's mask, causing him to flee the ring, covering his face.[11]

Kane stayed in contention for the WWF Championship for the remainder of the year, and ended 2000 in a feud with Chris Jericho; he ultimately lost a Last Man Standing match to him at Armageddon.[12]

2001-2002

Kane reformed his alliance with The Undertaker immediately before the 2001 Royal Rumble (in which he eliminated a record number of wrestlers, 11, and was the runner-up). In early 2001, Kane competed for the WWF Hardcore Championship, defeating Raven for the title at WrestleMania X-Seven in a match that also featured Big Show.[13] At the sa

revolve on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    what

Monoxide on
    edited November 2007
    :D:D

revolve on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]