As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PokemonGO] used Draining Kiss on BATTERY! It's super effective!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    The new update also effectively halved training prestige gain, and doubled attacking prestige loss. These changes are all server side, so you'll see them regardless of whether or not your client has updated.

Training up gyms is a pain now, and likely not worth it for higher gym levels. I thought Niantic wanted to go the other way and give defenders an advantage. If this was just about the bubble strat specifically then they could've made other changes targeting that. I'm not sure what their end goal is here.

Yeah it's kinda weird. Halving the prestige when training is so weird since it already takes a decade to upgrade from level 7 to 8.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I just got my first catch of the day - a Tauros. Only got a flat 100XP for it. No modifier for me on iOS.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I just got my first catch of the day - a Tauros. Only got a flat 100XP for it. No modifier for me on iOS.

Did you catch a Pokémon yesterday? I got it yesterday on iOS without the app update, and I still haven't gotten mine for today. I'm not sure how it works, but if it's 24 hrs from your last bonus then I've got awhile before I get mine again.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    Wow this update blows. I get 500 prestige for beating a 2400CP Exeggutor with my 1200CP Parasect, but some random asshole shaves off 1000 prestige for beating it with his 3000CP Dragonite?

RIP gym game. Was fun collecting 100 coins a day while it lasted.

3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    Yeah, I did catch something yesterday. Journal says it was at 12:26pm. So I guess I'll wait till then and look for another catch after that time.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Whilst this will suck if you were in one of the iron fortresses and gaining the benefit, the world (or at least my bit of it) had become rather full of practically unassailable lvl 10 gyms where the lowest 'mon in is CP2k+.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Even now, with all the changes they have made to gyms, that is one element of the game I continue to have zero interest in. Without proper type balancing, and with as janky as the dodge system is, I just don't find combat fun in this game. Not saying anything against those of you who do participate.

Just for myself that part of the game isn't for me. I do not have fun with it at all.

• Options
    Yeah it kinda flips who gets screwed in this scenario... Before the change it was the attackers, then the update for multi-pokemon to train flipped it back to the defenders, and then this change switches it back. I only have one gym at the moment and I know that after this it'll go away, but that's alright. I might be more willing to attack gyms now that I know that I'll actually be able to make a dent in it.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Yeah, I did catch something yesterday. Journal says it was at 12:26pm. So I guess I'll wait till then and look for another catch after that time.

Looks like it ticks over at midnight UTC. Try again in 7 hours.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Level 10 gyms have been pretty much the only way I have been able to get more than 10 coins a day as an Instinct player. Otherwise our gyms get wiped in minutes flat. The Instincts in my neighborhood realized this, so we met up, started a running Facebook group chat, and worked together to patrol the neighborhood and keep our level 10 gyms maintained. It's been a lot of fun and we've taken a lot of pride in carving out an Instinct stronghold in a city otherwise dominated by Mystic and to a much lesser extent Valor.

This update mega-fucks the strategy we've honed over the past couple months. I give it 48 hours before we're reduced to level 3 Mystic gyms as far as the eye can see, like it was back in the early days. There's just no point in running defense anymore.

I get that gyms were getting stagnant for some folks, but I was having a blast with it. My city has Mystic neighborhoods, Valor neighborhoods, and my lone Instinct neighborhood. There have been turf wars, truces, alliances, raids, and counter raids. Doubt we're going to see much of that going forward.

• Options
    Picked up lunch and happened to launch the game and see a Squirtle. Grabbed him... Then headed to my wife's office where 12 Pokemon spawned in her parking lot.

I need a new job.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Yeah they've effectively destroyed the gym game for me, which was really the only reason I was still playing. Meh.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    What's so bad about trading gyms around again?

• Options
    edited November 2016
    It just means there's no more point in training/defending gyms at all anymore. Why would anyone ever bother training a gym up over level 3 when it takes you basically 3x the time it will take someone to destroy it. Effectively, the training feature part of gyms may as well not exist. Before I used to go out at night with my friend for hours knocking down gyms and trying to train up gyms with extra spots for people on my team to stick their mons in. Now the gym game boils down to hit as many gyms close together as quickly as you can, hit collect, turn the game off and go home.

"Trading gyms" really just means skewing the gyms even more towards whichever population dominates an area. At least previously if you were in a lower-pop faction but coordinated you could try to keep a few gyms, or at least try to create a meaningful buffer when solo so you can get to a few more gyms before collecting. Now it's basically zerg rush by the dominant team.

Dracil on
  • Options
    Allow me to play Devil's Advocate here...

Turtling a gym up to level 10 and then moving on with your life doesn't help anyone out in the game. The idea of the game is to get out and move... If you level a gym to 10 and people don't want to take the time to fight it then how is that worse than driving around to other gyms and playing the game in order to get it back? Once it hit 10 before then there was no reason to go back to your gym because, generally speaking, it's going to remain that way as there was no incentive for someone to attack it if you were just going to easily bring it back to level 10.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Simple. You're assuming level 10 gyms don't change hands. I think the whole "stagnation" thing is overblown.

Pretty much every gym in my area was level 10 all the time. BUT it was also changing colors. It's that competitive because of the amount of spoofers we get and along with people who actually understood the game mechanics.

Realistically I was able to get about 40-60 coins a day. 80 coins would probably be around my best day ever if I get lucky and didn't lose one of my level 10 gyms before I went on my daily attack/train spree. That's because level 10 gyms were constantly being brought down by the different factions and needed to be trained back up daily. Level 10 gym ownership probably had a half-life of about 1 day (so if you had 10 gyms you'd lose 5 of them in one day and had to work to train 5 back up if you wanted the same amount of coins again)

Dracil on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Honestly, I'm kinda glad for the attacker part of the change. The gyms around here were too stagnant, and if they're stuck at level 10 of your own team, you're out of luck.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    If that's the case then how is this bad? If the gyms in your area were ALREADY changing hands frequently and getting to level 10 then why is this change going to effect you? In my area there's been Level 10 Gyms that haven't moved since the latest update.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Frequent is relative. Being able to keep stability for about 1 day is reasonable. The gyms were changing frequently enough but you could at least have partial stability if you worked for it. Now there's no such thing. If you don't have car, too bad, you can maybe get up to 3 gyms before the first gym you got half an hour ago gets zerg rushed. So stability is in the order of minutes.

Again, the question is, why even have the training feature when there is effectively no point in ever bothering with it? i.e. they could have done the same thing as their latest change by capping gyms at level 3 and removing training.

Dracil on
  • Options
    Because it's being set back to the way it was before they let a full party of Pokemon in there. And this way if a person wants to level it up to the next level so they can put in a Pokemon they can... Or they can move onto the opponent's gym and take them since it's much faster.

Now you'll be able to grab gyms faster and allow you to grab your 80 coins or whatever. Me? I'm happy to have been able to grab my measly 10 coins a day and with this change I might actually be able to bring it up to 20 or 30.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    80 coins? What? Good luck getting to even 3 gyms before your first one gets taken down if you're not the dominant team once people understand this new meta.

And why would you even risk training a gym by killing a higher cp pokemon 4 times (if a gym is below level 7, because lol have fun trying to prestige 10k from 7+) when in the time it takes you train the gym, someone from the dominant team might walk up and start undoing all the work and more in a single battle? Hell, "drive-by" attacks on major transit corridors means gyms there probably won't even last more than the bus schedule.

Dracil on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    All the gyms around me have been the same color same team since Early October. All level 10s, all the same trainers in them, and no point at all in attacking them. So at least here in Olympia, the stagnation is real.

What's also real is that I now have the "nearby" update. Click on a 'mon in the nearby, it marks it on the map as within 3 steps of a local stop. The thing is, the range on "local" seems far greater than the sightings area of the radar, which to me explains why it's slowly rolling out; the greater the radius of a constant search sent to and from the servers, the higher a chance that the servers are impacted.

Also, the nearby 'mons all seem to be out about a 15-45 minute walk, ish? Which might not be that useful for those of us not in any shape to run. Or bike. Or walk fast . . . :wink:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    These changes don't affect me in the slightest! Taking out being able to get pokestops while driving means I have essentially zero ways to get pokeballs, potions, and revives unless I want to drive to a place with a massive amount of stops and get out and walk OR stop the car in the middle of the road, restart the app to get rid of the 'you're moving too fast' glitch, and spin the pokestop.

This game is beginning to be completely unplayable outside of a city

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    All the gyms around me have been the same color same team since Early October. All level 10s, all the same trainers in them, and no point at all in attacking them. So at least here in Olympia, the stagnation is real.

What's also real is that I now have the "nearby" update. Click on a 'mon in the nearby, it marks it on the map as within 3 steps of a local stop. The thing is, the range on "local" seems far greater than the sightings area of the radar, which to me explains why it's slowly rolling out; the greater the radius of a constant search sent to and from the servers, the higher a chance that the servers are impacted.

Also, the nearby 'mons all seem to be out about a 15-45 minute walk, ish? Which might not be that useful for those of us not in any shape to run. Or bike. Or walk fast . . . :wink:

My question then is whydidon't you take a gym down? Things didn't get better in my area until I decided to "own" a gym and always take it down every day and make it level 10 for my team. Once people started to realize that others started to help keep it red too.

Dracil on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Mostly, a 4 week old kid and nothing above a CP 1300 'mon. I have no chance of making anything close to an appreciable dent in anything, and no time to do more than maybe fight a level 3-4 Gym. Even that can take upwards of 15-20 minutes depending on what's in the Gym. Level 10 is 100% untenable to solo without commitment I can't give, because I'm a parent and have other things I have to do.

Edit: Basically, if the gym system isn't 5-10 minute casual friendly, I'm not going to be able to do squat. I have a feeling other folks have the same issues. They aren't supposed to be fortresses.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    The way it was before made sense to me. It was perfectly possible to solo a level 10 gym, but it was an investment, both in time and potions. Even then, you weren't going to hold it down without some more bodies to fill gym slots That gave people both an incentive to build up gyms into fortresses and an incentive to join up in raid groups.

And having joined a 10-person raid group this weekend, I can tell you that even a gym stacked with only 2600+ CP Snorlaxes, Laprases, and Dragonites fucking melts when more than 5 people are attacking at once. You don't even have time to get off a charge attack. We planned and executed a two-pronged attack into a predominantly Mystic neighborhood and claimed a bunch of their gyms for Instinct. The Mystic group did a counter-raid and took back some of those gyms and exacted revenge on our turf. That shit was fun.

Now all these gyms, both mine and my longtime adversaries', are falling at once and it gives me the sads. What's the point in getting organized and meeting up with people on your own team when you can easily solo anything and no one can hold a gym for shit?

• Options
    Yeah that does really suck, but you have to remember there's two groups of people in this game: solo players and group players. There's simply no middle ground that works for both. If you screw over the solo players (which I'm guessing are in the severe majority) then things get stale (as they did around here). On the flip side if you screw over the groups players then it really does kill the social aspect of the game.

Shit sucks either way because I wish we could have it both ways. Incentivize both group and solo play.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    If that's the case then how is this bad? If the gyms in your area were ALREADY changing hands frequently and getting to level 10 then why is this change going to effect you? In my area there's been Level 10 Gyms that haven't moved since the latest update.

Because them going down easier means that they'll actually change hands? I was saying that they weren't

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

Because them going down easier means that they'll actually change hands? I was saying that they weren't

I'm sorry that was directed at Dracil and not you. :)

• Options
    edited November 2016
    The way I look at it overall is that gyms were effectively the only end-game content the game had. Collect good mons with good movesets to stick in gyms so you can get more coins to get more incubators to hatch good iv mons with hopefully good movesets to fight and stick in gyms.

Now it's sort of like, what's the purpose? You're not going to keep a gym no matter what you stick in it anymore, and there's reports that's actually what's starting to happen to the meta as people realize that. Stick any random pokemon and hope it's still there by the time you hit collect. Why waste the revive/potions with an actual good mon when it'll go down if anyone looks at it?

Like literally the only pokemon I need outside of regionals is a Lapras (technically I'm missing a few I didn't bother evolving as I try to get a good IV one but I have more than enough candy for anything), and that's why I even battle gyms, to get more incubators to hopefully hatch one and use it against dragonites in gyms. Now I'm just like, what's the purpose of even playing anymore?

The territory control of fields in Ingress was basically the end-game even though it had no real effect outside of events. Controlling gyms was basically the equivalent in PoGo. Now they've basically gotten rid of that with nothing to do for people who've effectively finished the pokedex, because the perfect IV/moveset pokemon collecting aspect only really mattered in the context of battling high level gyms, even if it was minor. If the game had PVP battling at least that would be the end-game, and previously you could sort of indirectly do that with gyms, and I've had quite a few fun indirect PVP battles. Now the attacker has about a 4x advantage against the defender so you can't even have a balanced indirect pvp battle anymore. (In the old system the defender gained about 2x the prestige but had to balance it by wasting time selecting proper mons with lower cp while the attacker could just use their best mons so depending on gym levels it was very back-and-forth)

Dracil on
  • Options
    I'm at 105 captured. I'm super casual though and I don't walk nearly enough. The buddy system is nice, but I'm definitely not taking full advantage of it.

Most of what I'm missing, however, are evolutions. There are 5 straight up finds I'm missing. Need Lapras, Chansey, Electabuzz, Hitmonlee, Magnemite. And then I'm missing Aerodactyl from a 10k egg. Anything else I'm missing are just evolutions.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Yeah that does really suck, but you have to remember there's two groups of people in this game: solo players and group players. There's simply no middle ground that works for both. If you screw over the solo players (which I'm guessing are in the severe majority) then things get stale (as they did around here). On the flip side if you screw over the groups players then it really does kill the social aspect of the game.

Shit sucks either way because I wish we could have it both ways. Incentivize both group and solo play.

That's why there needs to be more to do with the game, though that won't happen as long as Niantic thinks gym combat is the be-all and end-all goal. If they could implement one-on-one battles (with rewards of some kind) that are more like classic Pokemon, they would have players returning in droves. Solo players would be happy, gym groups could go about their business, and there would be more fun in the pokey-verse.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options

That's why there needs to be more to do with the game, though that won't happen as long as Niantic thinks gym combat is the be-all and end-all goal. If they could implement one-on-one battles (with rewards of some kind) that are more like classic Pokemon, they would have players returning in droves. Solo players would be happy, gym groups could go about their business, and there would be more fun in the pokey-verse.

I have faith.

I'm a pessimist in a LOT of things, but I still have faith there will be some sort of end game content that doesn't revolve around the gyms. I can't tell you what it is... But it seems like they are listening to their fan base (somewhat).

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Yeah. It's fine if they want to make gyms more accessible to casuals as long as there was *something else* to do for end-game content. It doesn't even have to be PVP battling, because given how badly they've done multiplayer interactions with gyms I don't trust them to do it right. Just start giving us some sort of in-game NPC trainers you could battle for stardust or something and some sort of leaderboard for how many pokemon you can take down or speed run before your team gets wiped.

Dracil on
  • Options
    PVE gyms.

Stock a gym with 6 similarly typed pokemon (AKA Fire Gym, or Bug Gym). Then add new badges/medals for people to collect as they defeat these gyms. Scatter PVE gyms about the map and cycle their typing on a monthly basis.

They could even break these down by difficulty, to make sure players of all experience levels are able to participate.
    • Bronze League PVE gyms designed for players 10 and under
    • Silver League PVE gyms for players 10-20
    • Gold League PVE gyms players 20+

The goal would be to then collect the PVE gym badges for each type in each region (as more regions are released).

• Options
    PVE gyms.

Stock a gym with 6 similarly typed pokemon (AKA Fire Gym, or Bug Gym). Then add new badges/medals for people to collect as they defeat these gyms. Scatter PVE gyms about the map and cycle their typing on a monthly basis.

They could even break these down by difficulty, to make sure players of all experience levels are able to participate.
    • Bronze League PVE gyms designed for players 10 and under
    • Silver League PVE gyms for players 10-20
    • Gold League PVE gyms players 20+

The goal would be to then collect the PVE gym badges for each type in each region (as more regions are released).

I love this idea.

• Options
    You could also just make it so that they have to beat the Bronze League to get to the Silver, and then to get to the Gold... Offer rewards like candy/stardust at the end of each... Maybe a special egg that could be one of the guys in the gym.

• Options
    Finally got the new update. I swear their text fixes make this game look so different... I'm liking the new font and panels.

Is there no way to see your daily bonus? In my head I thought there would be a place for you to see if you're on Day 5 or 6 of your daily quests.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I haven't seen a dedicated space but at least the first catch of the day shows it up.
    jaragok0ctgo.png

I didn't see anything for the Pokéstops, but I usually spin the thingy and close that screen. It gives the items immediately and can be useful (used to be) when driving past several stops close together.

Edit: while out for a prolonged walk/Pokéwalk, I saw one of these in a gym for the first time.
    8f42a6eui9s7.png

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.