As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Flash]: New New Season

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    That still seems like a really fixable problem for Team Flash.

Shit, temperature is just the average velocity of the molecules in something and I think they've got somebody who could supply some velocity....
    Barry/Caitlynn ship confirmed.

Unless...
    Jessy/Caitlynn.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Or Cisco could build her something. He did build Heat Wave's gun after all.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I hope the revelation about new Harry is all he has. If anything because christ another hidden mole of evil would be stupid, then again flash writers.

I did like the character work with Julian even if it seemed a little too on the nose at points, and the show is mainly keeping a more light hearted flare so far. Please don't fuck this up flash writers.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I hope the revelation about new Harry is all he has. If anything because christ another hidden mole of evil would be stupid, then again flash writers.

I did like the character work with Julian even if it seemed a little too on the nose at points, and the show is mainly keeping a more light hearted flare so far. Please don't fuck this up flash writers.

In the CWDCU all Harrison Wells' are evil.

That's not true, earth 2 Well was just a self interested dick, he wasn't evil.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net

That's not true, earth 2 Well was just a self interested dick, he wasn't evil.

Yet.

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Watched S2 E18.

Soft scifi abounds in this show, but one that's bugged me from Season 1 is that after timetraveling accidentally once, Barry does it in the season 1 finale with full control over where and when, and by season 2 he does it again, and it's never defined (although he seems to overshoot a little in this one).

It was kind of heartwarming to see Pied Piper get redeemed, and that that, plus the knowledge of how to beat back Time Wraiths, seems to be the only timeline changes. A win for what seemed like a moronic move on the surface and almost blew up in Barry's face.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Watched S2 E18.

Soft scifi abounds in this show, but one that's bugged me from Season 1 is that after timetraveling accidentally once, Barry does it in the season 1 finale with full control over where and when, and by season 2 he does it again, and it's never defined (although he seems to overshoot a little in this one).

It was kind of heartwarming to see Pied Piper get redeemed, and that that, plus the knowledge of how to beat back Time Wraiths, seems to be the only timeline changes. A win for what seemed like a moronic move on the surface and almost blew up in Barry's face.

All I will say about stupid time travel science in this show is: fucking buckle up.

Yeah good lord if you think that's stupid you haven't begun to see the dumb fuckery flash season 2 does with time travel. And then season 3 despite being a better season has even stupider rules that only seemingly apply now.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Wells Mk3 mentions having a partner at the lab who does the actual science, right?
    I'm betting it's someone we know. Probably a Thawne. Most likely Eobard, but it'd hilarious if it was Eddie.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Wells Mk3 mentions having a partner at the lab who does the actual science, right?
    I'm betting it's someone we know. Probably a Thawne. Most likely Eobard, but it'd hilarious if it was Eddie.

I figured it was Julian.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I think the problem is that Caitlin isn't herself when she really gets to use them. Like, she almost killed the lab tech creep. So... it's not just the powers that are changing, it's her personality that is too, and she's known this longer than we have.

Edit: Knowing tv writers, she's going to have split personality disorder that manifests itself as Earth-2 Killer Frost. Because lazy writing is lazy.
    Seems she turns Dark Side of the Force:

“Killer Frost”— (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

KEVIN SMITH DIRECTS; KILLER FROST EMERGES — Caitlin (Danielle Panabaker) uses her powers to save Barry (Grant Gustin) but as her mother predicted, the effort unleashes her inner Killer Frost. Killer Frost goes on a rampage looking for Dr. Alchemy, kidnapping Julian (Tom Felton) and battling both The Flash and Vibe (Carlos Valdes). Meanwhile, Joe (Jesse L. Martin) and H.R. (Tom Cavanagh) have a heart to heart talk. Kevin Smith directed the episode with story by Judalina Neira and teleplay by Andrew Kreisberg & Brooke Roberts (#307). Original airdate 11/22/2016.

I love the juxtaposition of the synopsis. We get tons of fighting and also a "heart to heart talk".

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    I think the problem is that Caitlin isn't herself when she really gets to use them. Like, she almost killed the lab tech creep. So... it's not just the powers that are changing, it's her personality that is too, and she's known this longer than we have.

Edit: Knowing tv writers, she's going to have split personality disorder that manifests itself as Earth-2 Killer Frost. Because lazy writing is lazy.
    Seems she turns Dark Side of the Force:

“Killer Frost”— (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

KEVIN SMITH DIRECTS; KILLER FROST EMERGES — Caitlin (Danielle Panabaker) uses her powers to save Barry (Grant Gustin) but as her mother predicted, the effort unleashes her inner Killer Frost. Killer Frost goes on a rampage looking for Dr. Alchemy, kidnapping Julian (Tom Felton) and battling both The Flash and Vibe (Carlos Valdes). Meanwhile, Joe (Jesse L. Martin) and H.R. (Tom Cavanagh) have a heart to heart talk. Kevin Smith directed the episode with story by Judalina Neira and teleplay by Andrew Kreisberg & Brooke Roberts (#307). Original airdate 11/22/2016.

I love the juxtaposition of the synopsis. We get tons of fighting and also a "heart to heart talk".

Talking Heads is a Kevin Smith signature move.

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    The best part of watching this show is having to explain plot points to people who pop in from time to time. Like when my wife walked through last week and was like "oh, why is that guy (H.R) dressed differently now?"

Well...

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    "He went shopping." Done.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    "Speed Force."

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    "I dunno, do YOU always wear the exact same clothes every day?"

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    The best part of watching this show is having to explain plot points to people who pop in from time to time. Like when my wife walked through last week and was like "oh, why is that guy (H.R) dressed differently now?"

Well...

I hope you told her to have a sumptuous day.

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

My money's on Joe.

steam_sig.png
    Finished S2. The only part i found particularly objectionable was when Flash surrendered his powers to Zoom, given that it involved Zoom releasing Wally first and they seemed all to eager to build these elaborate traps for Zoom in any other opportunity.

The time remnant thing isn't terrible either given that this show seems to run on the idea of branching timelines anyway (like how Cisco was able to vibe a world that should no longer exist because Flash changed the timeline where Cisco got killed). It's a bit hokey, but not as bad as other stuff they've pulled this season. I liked Flash's solution to the final fight and the move towards Flashpoint seemed understandable.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I'm enjoying the heck out of this show. I'm almost done with season 2. You fellow nerds need to quit letting tiny things get in the way of your enjoyment.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    I'm enjoying the heck out of this show. I'm almost done with season 2. You fellow nerds need to quit letting tiny things get in the way of your enjoyment.

We disagree on how large the problems in season 2 were. :)

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I just finished season 2 and loved it.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    I wouldn't have a problem with any one of the time travel things they set the rules for (I like BttF and Doctor Who, I'm prepared to let time travel rules get very silly), but they change them almost every time they use them, and the lack of consistency really grates. This isn't 'years of comics pilling up until you can't keep everything straight', this is 2 years of one show.

Like, first time he travels back, Barry replaces his former self.
    Second time he doesn't (useful, since his younger self is a kid).
    Third time, he replaces himself again.
    Fourth time, he doesn't replace himself, but gets the attention of the Dementors, who were never bothered by him before despite him making some pretty big changes (preventing a tsunami and magic nuke). This time he makes relatively minor changes, so they have to kill him?
    And so on.

It doesn't feel like we're learning more each time, it's just 'this is how time travel works for this episode'.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I think the reason the Speed Force Wraiths went after Barry like that was because Zoom was mucking around with stuff, which got their attention, then they saw Barry also doing things, so they got distracted. Kind of like how S2 got wrapped up, but in reverse.

sig.gif
    Or, like Wells/Reverse-Flash said, he got lucky the first few times going back thru time.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    A new Wells every season needs to keep being a thing. Seeing Cavanagh be as many people as he can is amazing.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
    I want them to find an Earth where Wells is the Flash. Not the Reverse Flash, the regular one.
    It makes sense, since he's always right there at ground zero when the accelerator blows, one of them has to get powers, surely.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I am the fastest man alive...
    Except for Reverse Flash
    And Zoom
    And Savitar.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    Except for Reverse Flash
    And Zoom
    And Savitar.

He beat the first two in raw speed in time.

I wonder if they'll adapt Godspeed, just keep the weird enemy speedsters coming.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Except for Reverse Flash
    And Zoom
    And Savitar.

I wonder if they'll adapt Godspeed, just keep the weird enemy speedsters coming.

They kind of have to if they want to keep Barry challenged, don't they? I mean, most posts that I've read have "Flash level super speed" pretty much at the top of the over powered super power list.

So, either they keep throwing speedsters into the mix, or they figure out some new way to depower Barry every second episode.

That, or they fill in the time between "Hey, look! New meta!" and "Run Barry, Run!" with even more contrived interpersonal dramas.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    They don't need to have Barry go head to head with the villain. And if they want to do that I can think of half a dozen ways off the top of my head Barry couldn't just run and punch the enemy. It's not that hard (He absorbs Speed Force, oh shit! She's invisible! There's 5 of them spread waaaay out! He's electricity!). Some of these they've even used even, they just keep also using ones where it should be the first and only thing he does.

And they're going to have the stupid drama regardless.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Disappointed we didn't get a Scooby-Doo reveal when they finally caught Alchemy.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    So much good Wells stuff this episode. First Cisco and Katelyn going through the list of Wells that they've had "Evil Wells, not to be confused with dickish Wells who wasn't evil", and then the handcuff line :lol:

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Except for Reverse Flash
    And Zoom
    And Savitar.

He and Wally will be able to outrun Savitar once they learn the fusion dance, but their arrogance in that form will be their undoing.

Does Flash in the comics have any Luther-type enemies? Like, someone who doesn't even have powers, but still manages to take him on? The closest I think we've had is Captain Cold, and that didn't last too long until they turned it into a truce.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Cold and Grodd are Flashes main villains.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    The whole Caytlin going evil because she has powers is really, really ringing hollow with me.

Like why is she exactly going evil?

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Well, you see, her brain is too cold to make good decisions now...

camo_sig2.png