As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Laser Printers?

MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
For strictly home usage, is there a suitable laser printer? Here's what I'd be looking for:

-Inexpensive (hehe)
-Makes good usage of its toner cartridges, has cheap toner cartridges
-Not expected to print more than 100 pages a month (if even that)
-Black and white, no need for color
-Low DPI is not a huge issue, mostly for simple/text documents

Incorporate Black Friday deals in here as you fit, but every recommendation or general musing about something I'm not too familiar with will help immensely.

e3ORbfq.png
Mugenmidget on

• sinnsinn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Home laser printers have come a long way in the last few years. Check out basically any of the lower-end laser printers at your local Best Buy, or electronics store. They only run about $99-$129 for a decent one these days.

sinn on
    He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.
  • sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    -Not expected to print more than 100 pages a month (if even that)
    Wouldn't a normal inkjet printer be more suited to your needs?

sonictk on
  • blanknogoblanknogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just go to the store and grab one of the lowest level models. A few things to keep an eye out for are: printing speed (pages/minute) and the cost of the toner (also how many pages the toner prints). Buy a printer based on the price of the toner.

I've had the Samsungs (which have been working well for me) and a Konica Minolta (also working well). I'm sure the other brands like Brother, HP, etc. are good.

Not really much else to it.

blanknogo on
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Samsung ML-2510 is a good one to look at. I have the color version (CLP-300) and it works well for me. Good print quality, good price, and the toner is cheaper than HP toner (which is important in the long run).

However I feel inclined to point out that for about $240 you could get a CLP 300N which is color and networked.

The CLP 300 was the first printer I had bought since the Epson Stylus II ... so the idea of a printer costing as little as $300 was a strange thing. Prices have dropped insane amounts for printers in the past 5 years or so.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The HP 1020 is cheap, cheap cheap with pretty cheap toner cartiges and really good build quality.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I bought a refurb-ed HP 1020 from Fry's a few months back, and I've been very happy with it for printing papers and stuff like that... though I haven't had to replace the toner yet, so I'm actually not sure how bad it is (I don't think it's significantly worse than anything else in that price range, though)

Gdiguy on
  • yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The HP 1020 is cheap, cheap cheap with pretty cheap toner cartiges and really good build quality.

We use a 1010, 1012, and 1020 as personal workstation printers where I work. I haven't had a lick of problems with any of them.

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thread Over. I have this printer and it rocks. You can even print photo quality crap on it and it works fine.

KiTA on
  • bashbash Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I got an HP 1012 several years ago when Gateway was closing their stores down. I suppose that was 2003? I've had to replace the toner in it once. When I moved up north I ended up giving it to my parents and they love the shit out of it. I did a lot of printing of technical papers and such on it and it performed like a trooper. I highly recommend one of its family (the 1020 is the latest version of the same). The HP is a bundle of success.

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg