As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

USA Presidential Election 2016: And here we are.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Bernie Sanders would have not won this

Why do you think that?

Realistically, it would have boiled down to 2 old white men yelling at each other, which would not have engaged minorities. Trump, despite being largely full of baloney, offered easier solutions and easier targets than Bernie. Bernie's solutions involved work, introspection and patience. Trump's were immediate easy blame targets (NAFTA! IMMIGRANTS!) and concrete things that felt satisfyingly large (Wall) to solve the problem.

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Well that sure was about three hours of restless sleep.

This is going to be a brutal day.

8406wWN.png
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    i think more than racism, more than sexism Hillary lost because she was saying the way things are now is pretty good. Trump won because he said everything is fucked now.

This is completely an issue of tone, not policy.

Trump won tons of places that voted for Obama, and literally the only thing they have in common is the idea that America lost its way and needed some sort of amorphous change

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Terrendos wrote: »
    As one of the few people on these forums that typically votes conservative (though I refused to support Trump) I'm going to look at the positives. My life will improve incrementally. As an employee of a nuclear power company, I don't have to worry about Hillary caving to demands from environmentalists and putting further restrictions on my employer. I'll probably pay less in taxes.

It sucks that it's going to cost so many others, though.

I wouldn't worry much about the ACA, I doubt the Republicans will make any significant changes to it. I suspect gay marriage is still popular enough to remain intact in some form. It's the foreign policy that concerns me the most.

Hooray for personal gain at the expense of the long term health of the planet!

Anyone with an understanding of the electric power system knows that nuclear power is the best shot at saving the planet. Solar and wind are only profitable due to the massive subsidies they receive. Those subsidies are responsible for the shutdown of several nuclear plants because wind owners are literally offering negative dollar bids to provide grid power.

But hey, now I remember why I never post in political threads, so thanks for that.

I don't have a problem with nuclear as a whole. Nuclear absolutely has an important role to play in our energy platform. My response is to the anti-environmentalist, anti-regulatory sentiment. Regulations and restrictions are important.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The small solaces I take

In Oklahoma we passed the bills to reduce most drug possession crimes to misdemeanors from felonies as well as funding rehabilitation and the Get Rid of Separation of Church and State bill failed to pass

CYpGAPn.png
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    With Clinton winning the popular vote

I guess I worry about what will happen if Trump goes full fledged fascistic and tries to jail Clinton

I legitimately worry about a civil war or something akin to that if he does.

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    On the plus side, a lot of good stuff was passed in California.

On the minus side, I felt compelled to google "children's self defense classes near me" this morning on behalf of my two young daughters.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I was excited for a Clinton presidency. I wasn't just "vote against Trump", I was pro Hillary. I think she'll end up being the best president we never got to have. She knew a ton about policy, worked incredibly hard and had a good heart. This must be a horrible day for her.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    With Clinton winning the popular vote

I guess I worry about what will happen if Trump goes full fledged fascistic and tries to jail Clinton

I legitimately worry about a civil war or something akin to that if he does.
    Well it at least shows he probably can't push through all the shit he wants, meaning the most fascist things... Hopefully...

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Can we hang onto this thread for a little longer? At least for the day?

6F32U1X.png
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Oh damn.. Current tone in German papers is "the American century lasted for 99 years and ended today"

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    I am doing my level best to maintain a positive attitude, as a white dude. I'm scared, yeah. I''m very upset. But I have to keep moving forward and be there for my LGBTQ and minority friends who will need me and my support, and I think it'd be selfish of me to show how freaked out I was.

Always forward.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Shorty wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Hey guys I had this awful dream last night and-
    Aw, fuck

you slept?

I couldn't, so I came into work two hours early

sat down and it took me twenty minutes to realize I went to Redmond when I meant to go to bellevue

I got maybe two hours. I don't think it did me any good

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I don't think I'll ever be able to actually say "President Trump"

It hurts, but that's where we're at and I think it's important to keep a stiff upper lip about it, as it were. We can't look down on all the "not my president" bullshit Obama got, then turn around and do the same now just because we don't like the results. I'll criticize him every chance I get and I will certainly rail against the process and decisions that led to him getting this position, but he has it now and that's something we have to acknowledge and accept if there's any hope of making the system work.

Keep in mind a large portion of the media still refers to Obama as "Mr. Obama"

• ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I think there's an argument to be made that the Benghazi and Emails business when added to years of poor popularity made Clinton a poor candidate. Like, I'm not saying Sanders would have won, just that even if you believe that someone is better than their popular reputation electability doesn't necessarily equate to the candidate you like the most. She got beaten pretty badly in the end. I would ask some hard questions if I was a Dem strategist.

Solar on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    mcp wrote: »

Oh shot @mcp I am literally a stones throw away over in Valparaiso Indiana. I was just in Oak Park like 2 weeks ago.

Good on you guys!

Solar wrote: »
    I think there's an argument to be made that the Benghazi and Emails business when added to years of poor popularity made Clinton a poor candidate. Like, I'm not saying Sanders would have won, just that even if you believe that someone is better than their popular reputation electability doesn't necessarily equate to the candidate you like the most. She got beaten pretty hard in the end. I would ask some hard questions if I was a Dem strategist.

She definitely had a lot working against her (hence the flood of "there are no good choices!" cries all year), but I'd be hard pressed to think of anyone else the Dems could have put up that would have had a better shot. For all her unfavorables, she was pretty much the best they had.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Denada wrote: »

On the minus side, I felt compelled to google "children's self defense classes near me" this morning on behalf of my two young daughters.

Jiu. Jitsu.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    Bernie polled against Trump much better than Hillary did

But Hillary won too in all the polls so who the fuck knows

6F32U1X.png
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    if there's one thing to take away from today

he has no mandate at all

Clinton won the popular vote, just like Gore did

and voter turnout was abysmally low

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

Looking at this, and trying to parse this statistic

Most important candidate quality

Cares about people like me
    D 58%
    R 35%
    Can bring needed change
    D 14%
    R 83%
    Has the right experience
    D 90%
    R 8%
    Has good judgment
    D 66%
    R 26%

Showing that trump was a vitriolic incompetent asshole was never going to work. The right wing didn't think that was important.

tynic wrote: »

Looking at this, and trying to parse this statistic

Most important candidate quality

Cares about people like me
    D 58%
    R 35%
    Can bring needed change
    D 14%
    R 83%
    Has the right experience
    D 90%
    R 8%
    Has good judgment
    D 66%
    R 26%

Showing that trump was a vitriolic incompetent asshole was never going to work. The right wing didn't think that was important.

Worse, they actually like vitriolic assholes

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Can we hang onto this thread for a little longer? At least for the day?

It makes more sense to make a new post election thread and then have 100 at that.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I think the question everyone will be asking for the next while is how could this happen.

he has no mandate at all

Does mandate matter? Obama had it and Congress blocked him at every turn. The people currently in power have spent the past 6 years making it very clear that they don't give a shit what "the people" want, all that matters is what they want, no matter the cost.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular

he has no mandate at all

normally I'd be comforted by this, but does it matter when the GOP controls Congress?

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Mandate does not matter at all.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    A few thoughts and feelings.

"It's not the end of the world... but you can see it from here." - Deus Ex

"Find something to believe in, and find it for yourself, and when you do, pass it on to the future." - Metal Gear Solid

"The first flame quickly fades, darkness will shortly settle, but one day... tiny flames will dance across the surface. Like embers linked by Lords past." - Dark Souls 3

"Any society that derives its power and authority from the will of man alone lives apart from God and will crumble in the end."

"I survived because the fire inside burned brighter than the fire around me. I fell down into that dark chasm, but the flame burned on and on. The fire that had kept me alive was love. Their love. God's love. I will never be able to repay the debt I owe to them, but I must try." - Fallout: New Vegas

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Zoel wrote: »

I wondered why one of my coworkers jumped up to see if the Principal had her TV on. Gonna end up with a rage headache

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I think there's an argument to be made that the Benghazi and Emails business when added to years of poor popularity made Clinton a poor candidate. Like, I'm not saying Sanders would have won, just that even if you believe that someone is better than their popular reputation electability doesn't necessarily equate to the candidate you like the most. She got beaten pretty badly in the end. I would ask some hard questions if I was a Dem strategist.
    If Sanders had been nominated the GOP would have spent the last year fabricating propaganda about him instead of Hillary and it all would have stuck exactly the same.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    They've got 52-53 votes (has NH been called yet? What's up with that?), between the filibuster and Trump picking fights with whoever in the senate didn't like him, there's still gonna be debate on the more ridiculous things he tries to pass. I'm hoping he starts with the quote-unquote draintheswamp stuff to turn the career senators against him quickly.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Tim Kaine talking now.

Dusty in here all of the sudden

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Fuselage wrote: »
    Denada wrote: »

Jiu. Jitsu.

Funny you mention that! My girlfriend is actually a recent white belt in jiu jitsu. After just a few months she's able to show me a handful of different ways she could break my arm or wrist if I tried to attack or grab her, and she's capable of throwing a man literally twice her size to the ground. I'm probably going to ask her teacher for recommendations.

• UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    all i can think about is how petty and vindictive trump will be from all the shit people gave him during the campaign

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I guess the lesson here for democrats is to find someone that has a large personality and zero political history for 2020.

Jon Stewart versus Donald Trump should be fun.

Does the mandate actually mean ANYTHING beyond "a thing you say in your victory speech and at the inauguration"

6F32U1X.png
    Alright I'm going to lock this a page early and make a new one to save @Bobkins Flymo the heartache

This discussion has been closed.