As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Post US Presidential Election 2016 Thread

• LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Dear non-white straight heterosexual males, the rest of the world, etc.

I'm sorry. I tried. I got off my ass and did something, even if my state was a lock to go blue anyways.

I hope it will not be as bad for all of us, especially you, as I fear it will be.

Sorry,

Label

• BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    BertezBertez on
    ...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I hope the courts are ready for some real constitutional tests in the coming years.

They're going to be helmed by Trump's SC Justice

So....they aren't

I am hopeful that SCOTUS won't go full blown fascist.

• Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    i kinda had to vent a bit, it's long and personal you dont have to read it, just needed to get something out
    so, i work swing shift, meaning i start at 6 in the evening and get off at 3 in the morning. this is in LA, by the way, so by the time i got into work yesterday was right around the time things really started looking grim for Hillary. i tried to stay optimistic through the night, but as the hours passed it faded. for hours, my stomach was churning with anxiety, stress, and shock over what was occurring, like my mind literally couldn't deal with it and my body was rejecting the notion

a few weeks back i lost a good friend to a horrific act of misogynistic violence. it was an event that shook my circle of friends to our core, the kind of thing you'd see in an episode of Law & Order but never expect to have to deal with in real life. we've done what we can to be there for each other and her family, even starting a gofundme page in her name, the full proceeds from which we're donating to the domestic violence program at the local YWCA. we still lost a friend, and things won't ever be the same, but the healing had begun

but last night, seeing that so many people in this country not only excused the sexism that Trump has espoused during his campaign, they fucking condoned it? i literally couldn't stomach it anymore. i went to the bathroom and actually retched, just dry heaved for a minute or two before i regained myself, but that feeling of just so fucking helpless and unable to help my friend when she needed it most, the hours i'd spent thinking of how terrifying her final moments must have been and the things me or any of our friends could have done to prevent it, it all came rushing back in this moment, reading about Hillary conceding and Trump giving a victory speech... i just had trouble reconciling that this country is really that backwards

when my shift finally ended i got home and made the mistake of checking facebook, the first few posts i saw happened to be from racist cousins who i haven't seen since my mother's funeral, some even longer, celebrating and gloating about Trump's win. i got so fucking angry i wanted to throw my laptop through the wall. i've been sitting here for hours, trying to lose myself in music or writing just to escape this reality, but i keep coming back to the fact that so many of my friends are POC or queer, and even most of my white friends happen to be women, and the idea that so many people in this country just used their vote to tell those kinds of people that they don't view them as equal, it's not something i've yet been able to come to grips with

apologies for the long rant, kinda just typed everything as in a train of thought way so if none of it makes sense, sorry. now i have to try to sleep and start my day tomorrow by doing what i can to help for anyone who needs it

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    FF wrote: »
    mcp wrote: »

No way it actually passes, but...I'd be ok with giving a large swath of the US (including most of my in-laws) the middle finger. Also, I'd totally let ya'll crash at my place.

And probably a whole heap of conservatives would be all for it.

"Let those crazy liberal pinkos leave! We don't need them!"

Not realizing that the vast majority of Americas food will go with them.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    My friend gave a compelling argument on Oprah eventually running.

Man, if you thought the attacks on Hillary were bad...

I cannot even begin to imagine.

She'd still have a decent shot at winning I'd think.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    So a couple of my friends are venting about the time they're going to have over the next few years due to disabilities, being minorities of one kind or another, etc., and people are actually using it as an opportunity to evangelize weed at them. "You can get that now and it'll make everything better!"

Not enough obscenities in the world.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    i kinda had to vent a bit, it's long and personal you dont have to read it, just needed to get something out
    so, i work swing shift, meaning i start at 6 in the evening and get off at 3 in the morning. this is in LA, by the way, so by the time i got into work yesterday was right around the time things really started looking grim for Hillary. i tried to stay optimistic through the night, but as the hours passed it faded. for hours, my stomach was churning with anxiety, stress, and shock over what was occurring, like my mind literally couldn't deal with it and my body was rejecting the notion

a few weeks back i lost a good friend to a horrific act of misogynistic violence. it was an event that shook my circle of friends to our core, the kind of thing you'd see in an episode of Law & Order but never expect to have to deal with in real life. we've done what we can to be there for each other and her family, even starting a gofundme page in her name, the full proceeds from which we're donating to the domestic violence program at the local YWCA. we still lost a friend, and things won't ever be the same, but the healing had begun

but last night, seeing that so many people in this country not only excused the sexism that Trump has espoused during his campaign, they fucking condoned it? i literally couldn't stomach it anymore. i went to the bathroom and actually retched, just dry heaved for a minute or two before i regained myself, but that feeling of just so fucking helpless and unable to help my friend when she needed it most, the hours i'd spent thinking of how terrifying her final moments must have been and the things me or any of our friends could have done to prevent it, it all came rushing back in this moment, reading about Hillary conceding and Trump giving a victory speech... i just had trouble reconciling that this country is really that backwards

when my shift finally ended i got home and made the mistake of checking facebook, the first few posts i saw happened to be from racist cousins who i haven't seen since my mother's funeral, some even longer, celebrating and gloating about Trump's win. i got so fucking angry i wanted to throw my laptop through the wall. i've been sitting here for hours, trying to lose myself in music or writing just to escape this reality, but i keep coming back to the fact that so many of my friends are POC or queer, and even most of my white friends happen to be women, and the idea that so many people in this country just used their vote to tell those kinds of people that they don't view them as equal, it's not something i've yet been able to come to grips with

apologies for the long rant, kinda just typed everything as in a train of thought way so if none of it makes sense, sorry. now i have to try to sleep and start my day tomorrow by doing what i can to help for anyone who needs it

:bro:

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I should do the dishes.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I hope the courts are ready for some real constitutional tests in the coming years.

So....they aren't

Kennedy and to a lesser extent Roberts have shown the ability to be level headed. I have to keep telling myself this to stay calm.

• ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    So a couple of my friends are venting about the time they're going to have over the next few years due to disabilities, being minorities of one kind or another, etc., and people are actually using it as an opportunity to evangelize weed at them. "You can get that now and it'll make everything better!"

Not enough obscenities in the world.

Point out that the way weed is treated in states where it's legal is due entirely to executive orders.

And that Trump said he's going to be a Law and Order president.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    rhylith wrote: »

So....they aren't

Kennedy and to a lesser extent Roberts have shown the ability to be level headed. I have to keep telling myself this to stay calm.

I feel like the hardest part may be desperately needing RBG to hang on and stay healthy for at least 2 years

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    From Germany:

Stay safe, America.

You brought us democracy and prosperity. You were like a..big brother, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse.

But generally you weathered most things that ended other nations, so you can weather this, but, this is important.. Not today.

You gotta keep at it, and not let up for the next four years.

So let's do this shit. I'm going to become politically active in Germany to do my part here. Do your part.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

fyi the one good thing this month is also ruined

this is a star Cubs player, if you don't know

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    It's important that the democrats don't just roll over, but give the republicans just as hard a time as the republicans would have done in the opposite scenario

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Bryan Cranston already said he's not leaving.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    fuck Arrieta

anti-semitic piece of shit

now I regret rooting for him and the cubs

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

What? Turkey dinners will surely still exist.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Baseball players are universally terrible people.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Turambar wrote: »
    It's important that the democrats don't just roll over, but give the republicans just as hard a time as the republicans would have done in the opposite scenario

I think it's important that they don't roll over, but I didn't spend the last 8 years hating the GOP for being obstructive shitheads who refuse to do their jobs to turn round and say "it's ok when my guys do it". I want us to fight this the right way, at the ballot box.

I'm almost certainly being an idealist.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Charles mudede lays it on the line

http://www.thestranger.com/slog/2016/11/09/24679916/i-thought-america-would-never-become-a-zimbabwe-i-was-wrong
    What we have to do now is no longer pretend that things are any where near OK. They are very bad, and, yes, the poor in America are going to suffer. But where as I could leave Zimbabwe, I and all of us cannot leave the US. This country is the end of the world. You can not turn your back to it and flee. You have to face it, face and challenge your worst fears. Shit just got real.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Like, that line just reverberates in my brain whenever I think of American right now. I don't even know if it makes sense.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Tube thanks for the stickies

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    Fuck guys, Donald Trump won.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Fuck guys, Donald Trump won.

yeah

fuck

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Mr. G wrote: »

cubs ownership also has a pro-Trump super PAC. so it was already a little tainted.

it's much worse hearing it from Arrieta though

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

I think it's important that they don't roll over, but I didn't spend the last 8 years hating the GOP for being obstructive shitheads who refuse to do their jobs to turn round and say "it's ok when my guys do it". I want us to fight this the right way, at the ballot box.

I don't understand this position

if the democrats have tools to stop the GOP from eliminating the EPA, outlawing abortion, and making all prisons for-profit, they should use them

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    So, gonna take a moment here to say something regarding the privilege of third party voters and non-voters in this election.

The defense many, including some on this very forum, used for their non-voting and third-party voting was they lived in "safe", solidly blue areas where their votes couldn't actually harm Clinton's chances. They were basically invoking their own privilege, like "no see it's okay for me, because I live in a safe blue space"

Which, even if I disagree with it and consider it craven and selfish, isn't factually incorrect.

But, you know what? Some of those people didn't stop there. They decided to go forth and be constant fucking black clouds on Clinton's campaign. They decided to constantly snipe from the sidelines and take a shit on the system and stamp their feet and wave their arms like fucking children and that was fucking irresponsible. Because if it had an influence on people who don't live in those safe blue spaces, then those people helped Trump get elected.

So thanks for that, accelerationists.

Vivixenne wrote: »
    You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Like, that line just reverberates in my brain whenever I think of American right now. I don't even know if it makes sense.

America hasn't been a hero in a long time, and I'm not sure it ever was. We've managed some small feats of heroism from time to time, but we've always had too many blemishes, too much bad along with the good. We can do better than we have and I still believe that's true, but it's important to recognize this isn't some big shift from what we were. Part of us was always this, and I think we maybe wouldn't have reached this point if we'd collectively been willing to confront that fact a lot earlier. (In the general sense, I think people on this forum specifically have been more in tune with that ugliness than a lot of people for some time now).

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Pony wrote: »
    So, gonna take a moment here to say something regarding the privilege of third party voters and non-voters in this election.

The defense many, including some on this very forum, used for their non-voting and third-party voting was they lived in "safe", solidly blue areas where their votes couldn't actually harm Clinton's chances. They were basically invoking their own privilege, like "no see it's okay for me, because I live in a safe blue space"

Which, even if I disagree with it and consider it craven and selfish, isn't factually incorrect.

But, you know what? Some of those people didn't stop there. They decided to go forth and be constant fucking black clouds on Clinton's campaign. They decided to constantly snipe from the sidelines and take a shit on the system and stamp their feet and wave their arms like fucking children and that was fucking irresponsible. Because if it had an influence on people who don't live in those safe blue spaces, then those people helped Trump get elected.

I don't really feel at this stage in the campaign that we need to have this fucking argument one last time.

edited November 2016

I absolutely refuse to place any responsibility for this outcome on third-party voters. The problem is that so many people voted for Trump. Period. That's what I'm mad, sad, and scared about.

Vivixenne on
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

I don't really feel at this stage in the campaign that we need to have this fucking argument one last time.

*christopher jackson as george washington voice* one last tiiiime

f2ojmwh3geue.png

America hasn't been a hero in a long time, and I'm not sure it ever was. We've managed some small feats of heroism from time to time, but we've always had too many blemishes, too much bad along with the good. We can do better than we have and I still believe that's true, but it's important to recognize this isn't some big shift from what we were. Part of us was always this, and I think we maybe wouldn't have reached this point if we'd collectively been willing to confront that fact a lot earlier. (In the general sense, I think people on this forum specifically have been more in tune with that ugliness than a lot of people for some time now).

Yeah, the line works better if you apply it to the American electoral system.

Yeah, the line works better if you apply it to the American electoral system.

Yeah, boy howdy, has that institution outlived its usefulness. Actually, that's true of a lot of American systems.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• PonyPony Registered User regular

Fine

The US electoral system seems irretrievably broken

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    So is there anything Obama could actually do in the next couple months to prep for the damage

6F32U1X.png
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular

i want to be an idealist too.

but damn is it tempting to just say that Trump is not "my president". it was so easy for the right to do to Obama.

frankly this Calexit stuff is also tempting on a really root level.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    We'll get back there someday.
This discussion has been closed.