As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[IC] Arkham Detective Tales

2»

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Is there anything else we need to do before we head to Providence? I can't see any other obvious loose ends other than that.

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    There's a couple more things you could do if you want to, the scenario is fairly open ended at this point though and you certainly will be able to continue to progress if you travel to Providence.[/color

• Options
    If anyone objects speak up otherwise I'm going to take us to RI...

"So it appears that the book we found was nothing but one of myriad uninspiring works. Is it possible that something else by the same author could be so vastly different without some kind of outside influence? I think we need to see this thing for ourselves. Perhaps it is time to pay a visit to Mr. Lewis Holland. Shall I telegraph our announcement or would it be best to catch him by surprise?"

• Options
    It's still early enough in the day that you can make it to Rhode Island at a reasonable time, though you'll have to stay in the city overnight. You are able to get a train car with just the three of you on board where you can discuss things without risking anyone overhearing.

The Holland house is easy enough to find, a short cab ride from the train station to one of Rhode Island's more prestigious neighborhoods. Mr. Holland's house is the largest on the bloc,, but not ostentatious. It's a classical New England mansion classically decorated and whitewashed. The garden out front is beautiful, and there are two cars in the driveway and two more in the open garage.
    Whether you let Mr. Holland know you are coming in advance or not you are met at Mr. Hollands house politely by his manservant Wallis. Mr, Wallis informs you that Mr. Holland is out for a drive, but will return soon and offers to show you into the library to wait for his return, along with offering you coffee or tea.

The library has an extensive collection of scientific books, engineering manuals, scientific journals, books on history, politics, and economics. The only books on religion are Christian ones, the Summa Theologica, several different translations of the bible, nothing that would strike you as odd. There is a locked door that Mr. Wallis informs you leads to the study.

The other notable feature in the library is another man waiting for Mr. Holland. A tall man who stands with a bit of a slouch. He is wearing a long brown coat and holding an umbrella that he fiddles with as he speaks. He looks rather surprised to see you come in.
    "Excuse me, I didn't imagine anyone else would be coming to see Mr. Holland today. I won't be long i promise, I'm an employee you see. A bit of a detective actually, a private one. Can't talk about the specifics, client confidentiality you understand." He says with a smile "What brings the three of you to see Mr. Holland?"

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    "Oh really?" said Jack, amicably. "I happen to be a detective too, though I'm actually investigating a different case at the moment- something that we're hoping Mr. Holland can help us with, being a literary genius. I don't suppose you're also a fan of books, Mr...?"

• Options
    "Ah." The man says, his smile immedietly turning into a frown as he looks at the three of you again, "I am Francis Moon, I assume you came to speak to myself and my employer about Jim Brown? I assure you the shooting was justified, and if I had thought him truly injured I would have made a full report to the police. I hope you have him in custody along with Mr. Holland's books? I am sure Mr. Holland would appreciate their discrete return."

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Floyd flips open his notebook and asks, "Did you follow up the shooting by gouging his eyes out? Because Mr. Brown has come down with a bad case of 'shot-and-mutilated.' I don't suppose that was a gimme you tossed in after shooting this poor poet?"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    "The hell did you say?" Hill shouts at you, raising the umbrella almost as if he intends to strike before regaining composure and lowering it.
    "I'm sorry, I did not mean to shout, I just didn't expect you to say that.' he walks over to a chair and sits down before he continues. "Mr. Brown was a thief, not a poet. He broke into this very room and stole some valuable books. Mr. Holland hired me to track him down rather then use police time. I found him here in providence and confronted him, he pulled a knife so I shot at him and he fled, I believe to New York. I looked for him there but was unable to locate him which is why I have returned. If he is dead I can't say I'm sorry, I have no doubt he would have stabbed me if I had given him a chance. He was probably killed by another criminal."

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    "Oh dear, that does seem to be a bit of a sordid affair. And of course you reported the shooting to the local police, Mr. Moon. That sort of thing could lose one their detective license..."

I'd like to spend a point of cop talk to convince him to tell us all about his employer, this job, and anything funny he's encountered, with the assurance that I can get him the books and make sure he doesn't get into any trouble with the law.

• Options
    Francis sighs and looks at you again. "No I didn't report it, I didn't think I injured him, and judging by all this eye gouging out stuff it seems like I didn't. As I told you it was a pretty simple case. Thief breaks into a rich mans house and steals the first thing he see's that look valuable, the books. He then realizes he has no idea what to do with them and starts asking around, that's how I found him in Providence. I got a message through a contact that I wanted to meet him for a buy, then confronted him with my gun. He pulled a knife, I shot, he ran. I followed him to New York the same way, asked around at some places for him including a flop house but I didn't have any luck which is why I came back here.

He pulls out a cigarette and matches, offering the pack to your group before continuing. "I have no idea why my employer has these books, or why he wants them back so badly. They're very strange, nothing that I've dealt with before but I wasn't hired to read them."

Sorry for the delay, I missed the notification for this somehow

• Options
    Joszef idly circles the room, browsing the selection of books. After overhearing Francis, he circles around behind the man surreptitiously. With intent to interrupt and startle, Joszef asks

"When exactly did you say you were in New York?"

• Options
    Francis whips around towards you as soon as you speak, his reflexes are faster then you might think based on his mannerisms. "I didn't. I just got back today though, I arrived oh, about nine days ago or so? I'm not sure exactly."

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Floyd asks, "Does the name Geoffrey Hill mean anything to you, Mr. Moon?"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Francis pauses for a moment before smoothly answering "No, nothing to me. I do meet a lot of people during the course of my work though, it is possible I met the young man and simply don't remember his name. Does he live in New York as well? As I said I was there recently for this investigation and went to several libraries and booksellers."