As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    fray wrote: »
    So I've been experimenting with different ways of highlighting black because I don't really like the standard greys, and I've found a couple of options that I think work and that I could actually execute. Apologies for the crap pictures as usual.

Yellow armour with the darker blue highlights would also be an option. Any opinions/criticism/abuse appreciated.

@fray Red armor and light blue highlights. I think yellow looks goofy on minis (no offence to bad moon or imperial fists players), and I think the darker blue might be difficult to discern in poor lighting and/or from a distance.

Excuse me?

008_zps19689hta.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    CwhHNkxUAAAb3mV.jpg

Almost finished my Vypers

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Gremlin update. I figured I'd finish a few before perstering people again.

836963_sm-.JPG
    836964_sm-.JPG

Current finished Gremlins.

836967_sm-.JPG

WIP of the Master, So'mer Teeth Jones.

836965_sm-.JPG
    836966_sm-.JPG

• Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Getting things ready for tomorrow and took a few pictures of them all together:

VBLYs5v.jpg?2

tz6U7nV.jpg?2

Edit: Some rough individual pictures. I'll try to set up the light box and take some proper photos in a couple days.
    brszxbB.jpg?5

iRLPWTU.jpg?5

UewPHFT.jpg?5

erJfkdS.jpg?5

The games didn't go so well at the tournament yesterday, but I won the Best Painted award. So that's nice :smile:

• KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    One completed model (a second Genestealer Aberrant)...

r2yvinb0xxrx.jpg

...and some new group shots of old stuff.
    n9zt7relgtaq.jpg
    vcwtgbrwouzo.jpg
    4cz5njmdinvr.jpg
    ql0cqeivp09i.jpg

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Is there anything like a bird head for a demon prince? The demon prince body looks large for a Tzeentch demon to me.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • WoozlWoozl Registered User regular
    I've been lurking for a bit. Here's what I've been working on:

sGJ48sR.jpg
    35AZgnG.jpg
    JFtL2p4.jpg
    pvvcVus.jpg

QwUI99L.jpg
    2r6dhZS.jpg
    UcoOFan.jpg

ziRbqZT.jpg
    CrmoiYw.jpg
    G1Q5PE2.jpg
    g0QEsd8.jpg
    DyRuBES.jpg
    hAJcmQ6.jpg

btwR9qb.jpg
    JwQOZHz.jpg

Colour test for Definitely Not The Alpha Legion
    CwoWANDUUAAizhC.jpg

I followed this method from the painting Burning of Prospero guide, but i dont know, i think mine looks too dark. Just bad lighting?
    BLPROCESSED-IMG_0182.jpg

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    My favorite new painting trick now that I am actually thinning my paints correctly and putting retarder in them to give them more drying time:

Accidentally got paint on a part I didn't want? Grab a crappy old brush and just use it to absorb the stray paint really quickly.

Has worked surprisingly well at fixing the occasional goof.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    @Woozl I really like the color on those Dark Eldar!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Wow, lots of cool shit in this thread right now :+1:

My work continues:
    evilc2.jpg

Mayday wrote: »
    Wow, lots of cool shit in this thread right now :+1:

My work continues:
    evilc2.jpg

Jeezy creezy, that's fecking beautiful. The gold contrast with the turqoise, the depth on the yellow.

Horus wishes his Sons looked that good.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Oh god the blue. What is that???

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
    edited November 2016
    Thanks! Like I said before, the turquoise-gold contrast was a bit accidental, but I really like it too.
    As for the main colour, it's VMC turquoise with a little bit of green, highlighted with a bit of GW Moot Green added to the previous mix and shaded with dark blue.
    I imagine GW's Sotek Green would work very well too.

Mayday on
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    The rough edges around their neck armour bothers me for some reason, but yeah that's an incredible paint job

"I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I've randomly spent the evening putting together Infinity miniatures, since I had them laying around and was tired of moving the boxes around my desk since we moved into this apartment. :P
    ... I had forgotten how comically beautiful these miniatures are. I wish any of the other major players would attempt a standard of quality approaching this.

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Tohaa?

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Question for washing GW plastic kits: do I clip and assemble (partially, fully, not at all?) and wash, or can I just wash whole sprues before doing any assembly (which seems way easier)?

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Question for washing GW plastic kits: do I clip and assemble (partially, fully, not at all?) and wash, or can I just wash whole sprues before doing any assembly (which seems way easier)?

So I would think either way is "good enough" but it would be better to do it once cut, as you are getting the final surface you are covering in paint after fixing/touching up/removing flash, etc. But I'm not an expert. Youill also probably touch and handle the sprues alot, leaving finger oils behind on parts after washing? If you are that anal about it?

I don't paint on the sprue or partial models so I would assume you could do it at any point before you paint, really?

steam_sig.png
    J wrote: »
    Tohaa?

Yup. Thankfully, they're all I have. Assembled each of the Igao models I was sent last Christmas, as well as the spitfire Kotail I'd gotten with them. I topped it off my putting myself through hell and assembling the Gao-Taros you'd sent along. Even had a decent day today so I primed a bunch of models. Now I have 6 Infinity models staring me in the face and I still don't know how I want to colour them. <_<

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    So it's been awhile since I've done any painting but I have a job now which means I can afford models again and my Dropfleet Commander kickstarter will hopefully ship before too, too long. So, what kinds of spraypaint brands do you recommend for base stuff? I've mostly been using whatever I can find at like hardware stores and the like, but I have a job now, which means I can be a bit more discerning (and am no longer too cheap to pay for shipping on Amazon) so I'm going to be more considerate in what I get. I'm thinking of maybe getting something from Reaper Miniatures? I think my Reaper Bones Learn To Paint stuff should still be alright, but I was planning on expanding my paint base anyway (as there are a number of colors I don't have right now).

I'm probably going to get some new brushes too. Mine were already getting a little bit frayed, so I think they could probably do with a replacement (or at least, a backup set)

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    First world problems

Udfn4wUl.jpg

Tohaa?

Yup. Thankfully, they're all I have. Assembled each of the Igao models I was sent last Christmas, as well as the spitfire Kotail I'd gotten with them. I topped it off my putting myself through hell and assembling the Gao-Taros you'd sent along. Even had a decent day today so I primed a bunch of models. Now I have 6 Infinity models staring me in the face and I still don't know how I want to colour them. <_<

I think some of those were from me.

Paint them purple :P

Dayspring wrote: »
    Tohaa?

I think some of those were from me.

Paint them purple :P

They were. ;)
    I'll take that under advisement. I'd been wanting to do teal and yellow, and then realized that was exactly what J had started painting them before sending them to me. So I definitely need to do something different, you know? :P

GW updated their gallery (and FW's gallery too) and a couple of my instagram pics ended up on there! Yay!
    Except theyre the pics i took of my friend's minis...
    Oh well, maybe next time :p

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I liked the yellow and teal!

J on
    edited November 2016
    Wait, teal and yellow? Surely, you can't say no to that!
    @Kneel your Heldrake is currently on the main GW page, congrats!

Mayday on
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Man I am really looking forward to Dropfleet. I bought some retail stuff and started painting space ships. Now I want MORE spaceships.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • MagoMago SwedenRegistered User regular
    @Asher Pics! I was really tempted by the kickstarter but then I took a look at the mountain of unpainted stuff I have, and the time I have for painting and playing...

Trying to paint stuff since 1995.
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    I will totally post pictures as soon as I have something beyond 'Well that sure is kinda red'! I'm at the tail end of a research project so I'm a little busy, but hopefully I'll get some time to finish a couple of PHR ships off tomorrow. They're going to be Iron Man red and gold with blue glowy bits. Because why not. Pretty sold on a black/white/orange scheme for the UCM.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
    Sounds neat!

I'm actually painting some Warmachine mercenary stuff for an upcoming tournament on Saturday.

I will take a picture once I have everything good enough for the tournament, most likely on Friday.

edited November 2016
    Mayday wrote: »
    @Kneel your Heldrake is currently on the main GW page, congrats!

My painting group buddies on FB informed me yesterday. I am absolutely beaming :D

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • BizaroPrimeBizaroPrime Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Been a while since I posted anything, but here is the latest Wild West Exodus model I completed

DGCXlLQ.png
    hbz8sqt.png

BizaroPrime on
    3DS Friend Code: 0619-3666-8604
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Always liked the WWX stuff but never got into it due to having too many games already,

Looks great,

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I remember reading about a painting technique where you basically do your standard highlighting progression, and then do a glaze of the middle color over the whole thing to smooth out the brush stroke transitions.

But now I can't seem to find where I read that.

Is this a real technique or something I'm misremembering?

edited November 2016
    So in the beginning of October I signed up for a Warmachine tournament. I was inspired by getting my hands on a Galleon for cheap and this Chain-Attack episode. I figured I had most of the miniatures in the Magnus1 list and just needed to paint 5 solos, the Galleon and a Nomad. How hard could it be?! I had like 6 weeks...

So of course I have been pushing it the last two weeks to get it done, and here is what I have produced:
    30887547466_057f0be4e4_b.jpgWarmachine mercs by magot42, on Flickr

The lighting is off, sorry about that. At least I'm posting pictures... The Nomad and the Galleon will get more highlights, but they are good enough for the tournament tomorrow.

I debated not washing all of the galleon as it's not optimal for such large areas, but in the end I decided to stick with a tried and tested method, and besides it was already painted with a few layers and kinda poorly prepared as well so I couldn't really be bothered to fix it properly. I would basically have had to tear it apart, strip it and fix all of the mould-issues, and I would definitely not have time for that.

Mago on
    Cw607I9VIAA-3Wp.jpg
    My first piece of 3d printed terrain! I designed it and my friend printed it out.
    I started with a small tomb thing, but now i know it works i'll try my hand at something bigger.

Has anyone painted 3d prints before? Do i need to do anything special to clean it up, or can i just prime it and go?

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    I think generally you want to give it a sanding to smooth it out. Otherwise I don't think it needs special prep.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    @Mayday you're making me want to start a chaos army

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Chrysis wrote: »
    I think generally you want to give it a sanding to smooth it out. Otherwise I don't think it needs special prep.

Or dip it in acetone, depending on the plastic used. The printer and/or filament reel should have some advice/documentation with them.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
This discussion has been closed.