As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Headset help

ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
I am looking for a new headset

are these a good deal?

Projeck on

• Options
    edited November 2007
    Or really any Suggestions on what to buy would be great

Projeck on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You know that USB headsets come with their own soundcards, right? So they might not even have a good EAX support. I have an X-fi and 5.1 speakers, so using an USB headset for gaming would be a bad idea in my case. I don't know what kind of sound you have on your machine, so YMMV.

OTOH, they're great for skype and internet voice chats and so on, and as one guy posted on that link, you can set skype to use the headset and keep using your sound card for gaming and other stuff. Or you can use the mic in the headset for gaming while using the sound card for sound, so on, so forth.

the one in the link looks kinda cheapo, but the buyer reviews are very good. So, depending on your intended use, I'd say it's a good choice.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited November 2007
    I own a Logitech USB headset (don't remember which model) and it's a solid piece of headsettery. Then again, almost all of my peripherals are Logitech (what can I say, they make good shit).

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    nyxtomnyxtom Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If you plan on playing games that may end up using the Xbox 360 USB Controller, you can get the headset attachment to it. Both Vista and XP recognize the headset device as a USB Headset.

nyxtom on
    companion-cube.gif
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The only headset that I've found that could stand the abuse I put mine through. Sennheiser PC 151s. Great sound for moderate price but they're not noise canceling if that's what you're looking for.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106157

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    SarathaiSarathai Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Best headset below $50 is hands down the Koss SB45. Amazon has them for $24
    http://www.amazon.com/Koss-sb45-SB-45-Communcation-Stereophones/dp/B00081A2CW

These do use the normal 3.5mm jacks, so if you have your heart set on USB, these aren't for you.

Sarathai on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    3.5mm is fine, it just needs to be long enough to extend to the back of my PC.

These will be used for music listening, vent/skype, and gaming. I'm not looking for the highest quality of sound, just needs to be clear sound wise and mic wise.

Projeck on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I love my Steelsound 5Hv2 headset. There is also a usb version. Nice long, wrapped cord, too.

And for any headset, if you really need USB, you can buy a generic "USB soundcard" adapter for supercheap at a place like ComputerGeeks or, I assume, Newegg. The cheap adapter (at least the one at Geeks) uses the exact same chipset as many of the brand-name bundled USB soundcard adapters.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.