As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tyranny] Obsidian's Brush with Evil

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I had planned to do an unrelentingly evil run of Tyranny first for shits and giggles but I'm seriously thinking of trying to be the guy that salvages things for the tiers now.

I just need something to make me feel slightly more optimistic about being stuck in bad situations lately.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I wish the election result was just a pr stunt for this game.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Someone here mentioned Black Company.

My dream game is RPG about managing a real, big mercenary group.

Obsidian, just do it, it may even be a sequel to Tyranny! In first game we learn about dictatorship, in second game we fight against it! All my money, please!

• MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »

Obsidian, just do it, it may even be a sequel to Tyranny! In first game we learn about dictatorship, in second game we fight against it! All my money, please!

There's the Last Remnant but it's very anime at times. After playing it I often thought a western version would be awesome with a bit more tactical combat, though still only giving orders to squads and not individual characters.

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular

Not a huge mercenary group, but a small/mid-sized band in a fantasy Germany of sorts:
    http://battlebrothersgame.com/

It's pretty good, although still in development.

MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries was super good in that.

camo_sig2.png
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries was super good in that.

I love that game so much, and the new Battletech game is bringing it back in a tactical format. So hyped! Also, so hyped for Tyranny. I've got tomorrow off as I wait for my PS4K to get delivered, and I'm gonna spend it playing Tyranny.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I just finished my pre-load on Steam, plan to devote my non-working/sleeping hours to some Tyranny. I've read up a bit on it, but also trying to abstain from too much info so I can experience it fresh. I'm going to try to do a non-douche run and overthrow the bad dudes, if the game even lets me, but not above being seduced to the dark side depending on circumstances

Zavian on
    edited November 2016
    Always found it kind of funny how Obsidian mentions Kyros won becuase he/she discovered iron.

While nice, I think thats kind of underselling how he can just blow up huge parts of the map with an edict. Cheap and plentiful armor seems like kind of an afterthought when you can just magically nuke your enemies.

Dr. Chaos on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Always found it kind of funny how Obsidian mentions Kyros won becuase he/she discovered iron.

While nice, I think thats kind of underselling how he can just blow up huge parts of the map with an edict. Cheap and plentiful armor seems like kind of an afterthought when you can just magically nuke your enemies.

The problem with simply blowing everybody up is that then there's nobody left to rule.

Magic obliterates, but iron conquers.

edited November 2016

The problem with simply blowing everybody up is that then there's nobody left to rule.

Magic obliterates, but iron conquers.
    That and I suppose theres always the idea that they see themselves as much more benevolent/merciful than they actually are.

Uplifting savage cultures whether they like it or not, fixing their behavior/saving them from their selves, enforcing stronger laws, etc. The kind of things you would probably expect from a guy with this much power that may or may not actually be human.

Dr. Chaos on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Some Obsidian devs and Paradox publishers are doing an AMA on Reddit right around now.

A quote on Tyranny's story.
    The biggest challenge has been our level of choice & reactivity in the game. We've mentioned before that there are 4 major quest paths through the game, which give you very different quests, NPCs you interact with, storylines, etc. Weaving all of those paths together through the various areas of the game has been a challenge.

It's taken a lot of dedicated work from our design, narrative, and QA teams to have this all come together in a way that we're proud of. It's been a lot of work, and I hope that everyone enjoys seeing the different stories as much as we've enjoyed creating them.

And a quick quote on Obsidian's future.
    We are about 215 people right now, and we are working on five things - Armored Warfare, Tyranny, and Pathfinder Adventures. The other two include one that is pretty easy to guess, while the other is really cool, but nothing we have talked about yet.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    We are about 215 people right now, and we are working on five things - Armored Warfare, Tyranny, and Pathfinder Adventures. The other two include one that is pretty easy to guess, while the other is really cool, but nothing we have talked about yet.
    *crosses fingers for another Obsidian Fallout*

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    edited November 2016
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    *crosses fingers for another Obsidian Fallout*
    As much as I would want to see that more (bigger fallout fan than TES), would be interesting to see what they could do with TES.

Think theres going to be a bigger demand for some sort of proper open world TES in the next few years than there will be for Fallout at this point with 4 having just released.

Dr. Chaos on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    When does the game unlock? If I purchased it today would it be available at like midnight?

steam_sig.png
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    When does the game unlock? If I purchased it today would it be available at like midnight?

Steam's telling me 18 hours until unlock right now.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Should unlock around 17:00 CET. (Central European Time.) So no, not at midnight.

Probably. I guess there's a timezone where it'll unlock 'round midnight, but that's midnight November 11th.

[Edit] Whoops, a bit late. Have a link, then:
    https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/tyranny-pre-relase-faq.981069/

Ark Evensong on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I'm interested in finding out just how short this shorter game is. So everyone hurry and finish it and report back.

Xeddicus wrote: »
    I'm interested in finding out just how short this shorter game is. So everyone hurry and finish it and report back.
    Its about 25 hours but meant to be more replayable than Pillars as a result. More choices, branching paths, factions, things like that.

• MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »

Not a huge mercenary group, but a small/mid-sized band in a fantasy Germany of sorts:
    http://battlebrothersgame.com/

It's pretty good, although still in development.

I've been very impressed with this one. Gets "feel" right and is actively being added to and developed further.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Its about 25 hours but meant to be more replayable than Pillars as a result. More choices, branching paths, factions, things like that.

That's good to hear. 25-30 hours is around when I tend to move on from games (with a few notable exceptions).

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I was incredibly excited about this game before yesterday.

I'll still get it, but... dang it.

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    I'm optimistic, but as I'm dropping money on Pokemon and FFXV this month, not sure if I'll buy this or not tomorrow. Waiting to see people's impressions. I enjoyed Pillars of Eternity, but money's been tight this month.

• yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Steam says the game unlocks in five hours. I'm looking forward to playing this immediately after work.

yossarian_lives on
    "I see everything twice!"

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Aistan wrote: »

What happened yesterday?

edit: unless you mean US election related? In which case I'm still confused..

DemonStacey on
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

What happened yesterday?

The election results.

• kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    mi4v2c9um6aj.png

FUUUUUUUU. I'm pre-loading anyway off of GOG. It's 5.5 gb. If anyone hasn't read the first 3 black company books, I suggest you do so.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    kaliyama wrote: »
    mi4v2c9um6aj.png

FUUUUUUUU. I'm pre-loading anyway off of GOG. It's 5.5 gb. If anyone hasn't read the first 3 black company books, I suggest you do so.

I suggest them ALL (except maybe Silver Spike). Though it seems many others did not love the later books as I did, so I might be alone in my recommendation.
    EDIT - if you drive a lot, the audiobook versions from Audible are freakin' fantastic. The narrator for each one is spot on.

vamen on
  • ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    Not a lot of reviews for this one yet, but apparently it is much shorter than Pillars.

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Not a lot of reviews for this one yet, but apparently it is much shorter than Pillars.

Yea that was the intention.

They wanted it to be more re playable.

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Hearing it's a bit easy / basic in combat on normal, seems like Hard might be the sweet spot.

I translated Black Company for the brazilian edition.
    So I'm gonna love this.

camo_sig2.png
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    This summer I went to the library to read the black company series but sadly they did not have them (was planning on playing a strike! rpg game in the same line). I am pretty tempted to pick this up, especially because I've been in a gaming lull

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Can't wait to get off of work today!

Still trying to decide which type of character to start with.

"There is only black or white, no gray."

or

"There is no innocence, only degrees of guilt."

or

"Uncle Kyros loves you all and under his benevolent rule you shall prosper!"

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I want to love Black Company, but unfortunately my unpopular opinion is that it's not as good as most people think it is. I love worldbuilding and ideas, but in the end i was mostly dissapointed by second half of the series.

... i wonder if Tyranny features some kind of superpowerful nearly immortal mages...

• JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    ... i wonder if Tyranny features some kind of superpowerful nearly immortal mages...

Well, yeah the archons. One of them seems very similar to Soulstealer. Or was she called Soultaker? No Limper, Howler, Changer yet.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Jutranjo wrote: »

Well, yeah the archons. One of them seems very similar to Soulstealer. Or was she called Soultaker? No Limper, Howler, Changer yet.

Soultaker.

Asthariel - I want to yell blasphemy, but from what I can tell, a lot of people aren't fond of the later BC books, so you're not alone there.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    This comes out today right? Traveling for work until tomorrow but really have my eyes on this one.

camo_sig2.png
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    This comes out today right? Traveling for work until tomorrow but really have my eyes on this one.

It's out now.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Hmmm...I see it's available on Mac...tempted to install this on my work laptop and sit in the corner during my meetings...

camo_sig2.png