As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Explosive blubber [Dishonored 2]

TurambarTurambar IndependentRegistered User regular
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bLNC8VDTlQ
Do you want to escape into a slightly less dystopian world right now?

It's time for magic steampunk stabby mans

dishonored-2.jpg
Play as either Emily or Corvo

Releases on Friday, or a day early if you've pre-ordered

Unlocks in just 7 hours here according to Steam

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    god, I can't even imagine ever picking Corvo over Emily

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

I might in a second playthrough, but Emily first, yeah

She has the more interesting story here, and I want to get to know her character

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I was gonna wait on this

But now?

Oh no, I need this one

6F32U1X.png
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »

She has the more interesting story here, and I want to get to know her character

Also all of her abilities look SO MUCH COOLER

like, it's cool that they tweaked Corvo to make his stuff a little cooler/better, like giving him Daud's blink, but goddamn Emily can turn into a smoke monster and basically has a bionic arm

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I'm excited for the chance to play Corvo again (after emily (and if his maps are different))

2x39jD4.jpg
    I'm fairly certain that it's the same game either way, just two powersets

6F32U1X.png
    Dialogue and cutscenes will be a little different I assume

Also, you can play one as low chaos and the other as high chaos to create more differences

That'd still be fine as long as the people say different things to corvo than they would to emily

2x39jD4.jpg
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    You got your steampunk in my stealth action!

You got your stealth action in my steampunk!

(I will play this game)

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I really want to be excited for this

maybe by Friday

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    That'd still be fine as long as the people say different things to corvo than they would to emily

hey aren't you corvo, hero of dishonored 1?

hey aren't you emily, daughter of the empress from dishonored 1?

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    Kwoaru wrote: »

hey aren't you corvo, hero of dishonored 1?

hey aren't you emily, daughter of the empress from dishonored 1?

theo no it will be better than that shush

2x39jD4.jpg
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Hello there!

I will play through this game 1 time and it will be as Corvo!

V excited to return to form as the murderous rat king.

Oh hey, the preorder version of this unlocks tonight

6F32U1X.png
    Even if the remaining levels are so badly designed that I find them intolerable, and there’s absolutely no reason to believe that would be the case, I’ve already explored enough beautifully realised and densely packed areas to see this as a sequel that understands what its predecessor did well, and knows precisely how to do it better. Here, with no spoilers, are my thoughts on what I’ve seen so far.

The best level design in the business wouldn’t be worth a damn if the spaces weren’t enjoyable to navigate, and before getting on to what feels fresh here, it’s worth reiterating a few points about the original Dishonored. It brought kinetic energy to the first-person stealth game, allowing protagonist Corvo not only to bampf across city blocks like a murderous superhero, but providing all the tools necessary for escape, concealment, confusion and acrobatic combat.

Stabbing and slaughtering your way out of a situation often feels like an unsatisfactory last resort in stealth games – all the ingredients for the perfect steak were there, but too much slicing and dicing left you with a casserole – but Dishonored went some way toward making violent alternatives satisfying. The perfect non-lethal, ghosted playthrough is still a worthy ambition but improvising with sword, pistol and razor-traps isn’t a dull or ineffective enough solution to make an instinctive quickload occur as soon as a guard raises the alarm.

All of that has returned, with a new selection of lethal and non-lethal options, as well as additional ways to navigate the scenery. As in the first game, there’s an occasional helping hand, with the aiming tips for the teleportation skills and the like, but movement is manual- there’s none of the automated parkour of Assassin’s Creed here. That can make for uncharacteristic clumsiness on the part of the protagonists, but the precise control it provides is precious indeed.

And, yes, on current evidence, the pleasing flow of movement is matched with some of the best level design in the business.
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/11/10/dishonored-2-review-preorder/

6F32U1X.png
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »

Also all of her abilities look SO MUCH COOLER

like, it's cool that they tweaked Corvo to make his stuff a little cooler/better, like giving him Daud's blink, but goddamn Emily can turn into a smoke monster and basically has a bionic arm

Corvo will, in fact, have Daud's blink

I've heard reports of Issues with the PC version of this but [citation needed]

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    wait how was daud's blink different again?

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    wait how was daud's blink different again?

Daud aims in frozen time.

liEt3nH.png
    Alright, time to depose the evil tyrant

(if only it were this easy)

Oh man
    Vincent D'Onofrio is voicing the Duke of Serkonos!

So far the stunt casting is working a lot better

Vincent D'onofrio is actually doing a voice and not just sleepwalking through it

6F32U1X.png
    Hm, Steam ratings don't look so hot. I'm gonna buy it because I want it, but has anyone been having any major issues on PC?

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    I've just been reading that the framerate on PC ahead of its Day 1 patch has suuuuuuuuucked.

The patch isn't out as far as I know. Might fix it, but there's still the niggling thought of this following Bethesda's new review practice.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I know all my letters, and then some!

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    They've officially noted that they are working on a fix for those having performance problems on PC.

Yeah, PC version is pretty rough

6F32U1X.png
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    so what are the new powers, etc, in this one?

I've played about 5 hours of dishonored 1 and sort of enjoyed myself at times but it didn't exactly captivate me

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    No problems on PC here

I've played about 5 hours of dishonored 1 and sort of enjoyed myself at times but it didn't exactly captivate me

Emily can turn into a stealthy shadow monster

She can create a Doppelganger of herself, then take control of the clone, leaving her original body as the Doppelganger

She can "tie the fates" NPCs together so that when one is killed or choked out, the others also die or go unconscious

Among other things

There is apparently a patch coming that is supposed to fix a lot of the issues

It's out on consoles but...not on PC yet?

It's also 9 gigs

6F32U1X.png
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    No problems on PC here

Emily can turn into a stealthy shadow monster

She can create a Doppelganger of herself, then take control of the clone, leaving her original body as the Doppelganger

She can "tie the fates" NPCs together so that when one is killed or choked out, the others also die or go unconscious

Among other things

Her blink is so awesome, you can use it to launch yourself into the sky.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Used the VPN to unlock this early yesterday and played for a few hours. Definitely some random framerate drops going on in places, so hopefully that gets patched soon. Otherwise, first impressions are really strong. The levels seem so much larger and more intricate than before. I had the exact same experience as the RPS writer in that I spent a ton of time in prologue only to discover at the end I had missed more than half of the stuff.

Mr. G wrote: »
    There is apparently a patch coming that is supposed to fix a lot of the issues

It's out on consoles but...not on PC yet?

It's also 9 gigs

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck this is a big deal when you're in a hotel getting 750kb download speeds :(

Oof those performance issues get real apparent when you're out in the first hub world

6F32U1X.png
    Uuuugh two more hours of work between me and this game

I hope it finished preloading while I was at work

2x39jD4.jpg
    I don't like that I can't strangle people who are sitting in chairs or leaning against railings when I'm right there behind them

Crowned Killer
    I went the non-lethal route, but I'm kinda regretting it

There seemed to be a vague air of the antidote maybe not being permanent

Should have just put her down to be safe

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I don't like that I can't strangle people who are sitting in chairs or leaning against railings when I'm right there behind them

I've totally done both of those things. Although I think with sitting people you automatically stand them up and chop them in the neck first.

august on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I finally get this downloaded, and there isn't time to get stuck in. Bah.
    I did the tutorial at least, and it ran fine on Ultra settings for me. When're the big areas that really show how bad it can get? Level 1, 2, what?
    I'm running a GTX 970, but I've got 24GB RAM in there (it was stupidly cheap when I was getting my computer, so I just said to hell with it, give me all the RAM), so that might be the bottleneck a lot of people are getting.
    I had a similar experience with Arkham Knight, it always ran okay for me.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    august wrote: »

I've totally done both of those things. Although I think with sitting people you automatically stand them up and chop them in the neck first.

I've had to reach over someone's shoulder to grab a glass off their desk to smash so they would stand up and I could strangle them. Definitely couldn't do it, at least for some chairs.
    klemming wrote: »
    I finally get this downloaded, and there isn't time to get stuck in. Bah.
    I did the tutorial at least, and it ran fine on Ultra settings for me. When're the big areas that really show how bad it can get? Level 1, 2, what?
    I'm running a GTX 970, but I've got 24GB RAM in there (it was stupidly cheap when I was getting my computer, so I just said to hell with it, give me all the RAM), so that might be the bottleneck a lot of people are getting.
    I had a similar experience with Arkham Knight, it always ran okay for me.

I'm running it on 1440p on a 980 and I'm struggling to get about 40FPS most of the time when outside. That by itself isn't a huge deal (though obviously I'd prefer a solid 60) but it seems like the y axis of mouse movement is tied to framerate, because when the framerate is up and down instead of solidly low, my mouse controls go completely wack.

It's real fun, but I'm waiting for a patch or driver update to see if I can eek out just that little bit more performance to clear up those issues. Interestingly enough, none of the options seem to do anything in terms of performance. Turning everything on low gets me about 10fps on average, but it doesn't fix the problem of the framerate jumping around.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.