As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G&T Secret Santa 2016: You'll go down in history...

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Wait, you're a vegan but you don't like vegetables?

So what do you eat?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

So what do you eat?

Water... Ice... Steam.

• Options
    cornellcornell Registered User regular
    Canadian Santee.....Wednesday.

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Quical wrote: »
    GiftGet_zpsa504f3d7.gif

So! I got home to my parcel and it seems it's been ordered FROM new Zealand(On account of it being paid in NZD :P) . An order via the book depository in the UK.
    Pretty sizeable parcel
    fs33azrl94au.jpg

Holy moly these are so cool!
    8311c3vb67ps.jpg

Thing is, i'm ASSUMING these are secret santa related - on account of there being no note inside. So if they are - thank you SO MUCH.
    I don't do nearly as much reading as i should (i'm starting to get a backlog of books bought for me that before long could rival my steam backlog), and I don't do anywhere as much cooking as i should (none pretty much) so if this can turn a vegetable-phobe like me into someone who can cook actual vegan meals (ten points for understanding i'm vegan and going with something along those lines btw) then this is perfect!

Seriously. Thanks so much. This is a great present.

It wasn't the end! Why wasn't it the end?!

I guess @DyasAlure was my secret santa because...
    ce53hmoy6c0b.png

Thanks sooooooo much!

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    why hello new game that I just impulse purchased....

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    What is "Ker Blam"?
    Is this a steam thread thing? I don't think I've seen it before this year, then all of a sudden, Ker Blams all over the place.

• Options
    It's one of the things you put in Steam messages.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    GiftGet_zpsa504f3d7.gif

So! I got home to my parcel and it seems it's been ordered FROM new Zealand(On account of it being paid in NZD :P) . An order via the book depository in the UK.
    Pretty sizeable parcel
    fs33azrl94au.jpg

8311c3vb67ps.jpg

Thing is, i'm ASSUMING these are secret santa related - on account of there being no note inside. So if they are - thank you SO MUCH.
    I don't do nearly as much reading as i should (i'm starting to get a backlog of books bought for me that before long could rival my steam backlog), and I don't do anywhere as much cooking as i should (none pretty much) so if this can turn a vegetable-phobe like me into someone who can cook actual vegan meals (ten points for understanding i'm vegan and going with something along those lines btw) then this is perfect!

I guess DyasAlure was my secret santa because...
    ce53hmoy6c0b.png

Thanks sooooooo much!

You know, as much as you think it is me, I'm not your secret Santa. Lets see, I'm not secret Santa, we all ready have Easter Bunnies, I'm the Thanksgiving Turkey, and I want to stuff things. Yes that's it, stuff presents at you.

Merry Christmas just the same.
    see317 wrote: »
    What is "Ker Blam"?
    Is this a steam thread thing? I don't think I've seen it before this year, then all of a sudden, Ker Blams all over the place.

I don't know where Ker Blam started, but yeah it is a steam thread thing.

Do a search for Ker Blam on the forums and you will get a lot of steam thread. Some reason I blame @Pixelated Pixie for this.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    GiftGet_zpsa504f3d7.gif

Pretty sizeable parcel
    fs33azrl94au.jpg

8311c3vb67ps.jpg

ce53hmoy6c0b.png

Thanks sooooooo much!

You know, as much as you think it is me, I'm not your secret Santa. Lets see, I'm not secret Santa, we all ready have Easter Bunnies, I'm the Thanksgiving Turkey, and I want to stuff things. Yes that's it, stuff presents at you.

What is "Ker Blam"?

Do a search for Ker Blam on the forums and you will get a lot of steam thread. Some reason I blame @Pixelated Pixie for this.

Oh of course. You're from Seattle.

Stop jacking other santa's santees, Dyas!
    You're like a santa jacker.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    GiftGet_zpsa504f3d7.gif

Pretty sizeable parcel
    fs33azrl94au.jpg

8311c3vb67ps.jpg

ce53hmoy6c0b.png

Thanks sooooooo much!

What is "Ker Blam"?

Oh of course. You're from Seattle.

Stop jacking other santa's santees, Dyas!
    You're like a santa jacker.

b1d7f2e406be082c9da7c194f065ed99.jpg

31502614.jpg

Edit:

So this is turning out good. I have more plans in place. More stalking happened. And one note to my Santa. While Mrs. Alure does not post on PA, she is on steam. Also, I don't give out her profile, but others have found it. I don't know what info she could help with, but just throwing it out there.

DyasAlure on
    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    What is "Ker Blam"?

When you gift someone a game on Steam, Ker Blam is one of the options for the "Sincerely" section of the message. For example:

dkhTXxR.png

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    A package is en route and is expected some time next week. Also, there will be a second package that will arrive later with treats from the great white north.

I love the great white north! I'm very excited!

minirhyder on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I partial to "Game on", but I've been staying out of the steam thread after tripling my backlog.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I partial to "Game on", but I've been staying out of the steam thread after tripling my backlog.

Even if I had a computer that was able to play more games my console lineup right now is all consuming.

In progress:
    Dragon Quest 7
    Dragon Quest Builders
    World of Final Fantasy
    Destiny (they dragged me back)

Coming up:
    Final Fantasy 15
    Dragon Quest 8
    Persona 5

I have also committed to finally studying to get my CCENT certification as step 1 to CCNA. I'm also angling for a promotion at work so I need to be on point there. Cross your fingers all.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options

I forgot Steam thread users ::cough:: @DyasAlure ::cough:: would see this as a challenge...

zIxjDawl.png

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options

I forgot Steam thread users ::cough:: @DyasAlure ::cough:: would see this as a challenge...

zIxjDawl.png

It was a pretty easy challenge... I'm just saying.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    GiftGet_zpsa504f3d7.gif

Got the following from Proxy today:
    So, I've been stalking you for a bit, and I noticed you were asking about 4X and grand strategy games, which are two of my favorite genres. I've also noticed that, well ... You might need a way to take your mind off of things for a couple hours. And, while it's nominally against my religion to send Christmas gifts before Thanksgiving's passed, I decided to make an exception just this once.

Below are the codes for one of my favorite games to come out recently and its first major expansion.

I hope you enjoy them - drop by the dedicated thread if you've got any questions; the people there are friendly and happy to help!

I hope you do okay in the next couple of weeks.

<redacted>

Merry (very, very early!) Christmas!

Your Secret Santa

The <redacted> are steam gift codes for Stellaris and it's expansion DLC, Leviathans.

Your assessment is correct, Santa, a way to take my mind of of things is pretty much the greatest gift ever right now. <3

Thank you. Thank you very, very much.

<3<3<3

Oh, and I'll keep your identity a secret for now, but, uh, for everyone else? When you send a Steam gift code as a URL, it tells you who the sender is and adds them to your friend list if they aren't on it already. So, you know, be aware. ;-)

Houn on
  • Options
    Amateur mistake.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Proxy the ElfProxy the Elf Registered User regular
    This is why Proxy is now a Steam-integrated-cheer-beast!

You can send Proxy your game to forward on to keep the mystery alive. It's an integral part of every stalker/stalkee relationship!

HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!
    Spreading Christmas cheer across the forums since 2009!
  • Options
    This is why Proxy is now a Steam-integrated-cheer-beast!

You can send Proxy your game to forward on to keep the mystery alive. It's an integral part of every stalker/stalkee relationship!

You can do that, Or, you can send out so many steam gifts, that no one knows if I'm Santa or not.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I have double discount at work right now so I might be getting a One. Or PS4 Pro. More likely the One since I don't have a 4ktv. Just a heads up for Santa!

• Options
    Dyas Alure just sent me Soul Axiom on Steam. I assume I should mention that here, rather than the steam thread, because he called himself "Santa Jacker".

Thank you, not-my-Santa!

• Options
    To my dread, my Santa has shown themselves to be a fan of puzzles.
    I, it turns out, am enough bad at merely identifying what is being asked of me, let alone actually solving a puzzle when presented with one.

So, I turn to the Penny Arcade Secret Santa. If you could take a look at this and try to see what I'm missing here.
    Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2016 6:14 PM
    To:[redacted]
    Subject: Re: Do you

See -

Puzzle 1. This is a training puzzle. If you are comfortable with this, please either post the puzzle with your answer, or the puzzle asking for help in the thread. You will get more difficult puzzles, but I wanted to give you a chance to solve them.

Santa

wlophoull4bl.jpg

What I've determined so far:
    All six squares are unique shades of grey.
    All are true grey, meaning the values for the RGB in the color pickers are identical for that shade of grey.
    These values are, left from right, 229, 26 (+) 201, 53 (=) 175, 79
    These values, written in hexadecimal, are E5, 1A (+) C9, 35 (=) AF, 45

Looking at the default greys in Photoshop, the color values don't align.(though there are two rows of ten shades of grey ranging from white to black, thought that might align with 0-9)
    Paint only has four default shades of grey.

I think I may be overthinking this beginner puzzle. It might be just math.
    If it's math, do darker greys equal higher single digit numbers or do lighter greys?
    Hmmm. I think that
    29 (+) 46 (=) 75
    might work?

• Options
    edited November 2016
    What are the hex color codes?

*edit* nvm I am dumb. You did.

Houn on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    So I haven't posted much here (or anywhere for that matter), so Santa, if you're having trouble thinking of stuff, know that random stuff is always good. If you need more hints:
    I have a PS4, XBox One, and 3DS.
    I like books
    And wrestling
    And comics
    and movies
    I'm 3 or 4x

• Options
    I, it turns out, am enough bad at merely identifying what is being asked of me, let alone actually solving a puzzle when presented with one.

So, I turn to the Penny Arcade Secret Santa. If you could take a look at this and try to see what I'm missing here.

See -

Puzzle 1. This is a training puzzle. If you are comfortable with this, please either post the puzzle with your answer, or the puzzle asking for help in the thread. You will get more difficult puzzles, but I wanted to give you a chance to solve them.

Santa

wlophoull4bl.jpg

All are true grey, meaning the values for the RGB in the color pickers are identical for that shade of grey.

Looking at the default greys in Photoshop, the color values don't align.(though there are two rows of ten shades of grey ranging from white to black, thought that might align with 0-9)

If it's math, do darker greys equal higher single digit numbers or do lighter greys?
    Hmmm. I think that
    29 (+) 46 (=) 75
    might work?

In GIMP the values are 90, 10 + 79, 21 = 31, 69. Each set adds up to 100.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    If it helps, this is very familiar to another forum puzzle from some time in the past, though I can't remember who.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Update from my Santa on his puzzle.
    Santa sends the following link:
    http://www.purplemath.com/modules/rounding.htm

So, apparently on the right track, but there's some rounding to do somewhere.
    But it's almost 10pm here, and my brain is tired from panicking over some credit card fraud I discovered and dealt with instead of attempting to assign values to assorted greys.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    GiftGet_zpsa504f3d7.gif

Oh, man. I saw this late afternoon, but I'm at a technical conference right now and haven't had a chance to make a proper post all day. I'd say you planned this Santa, but I'm pretty sure there's no way you could have possibly known? ...Or could you?

m462u6c9d989.png

Yessssss! I looove Sanderson. I've only finished Warbreaker and the first two books in the Mistborn trilogy so far (the third is waiting temptingly on the shelf). Thank you!

2b7ez8zs2lfi.png

And the second one?! Thank you!!! ^_^
    I actually went to see a Sanderson panel at DragonCon a few months ago and heard him read a few non-spoiler flashback excerpts from book 3. It's a thing that partially exists!

fzb537j4606o.png

Sweet! I've actually read this one (and really enjoyed it), and somehow missed putting it on Goodreads. But the rest of the series is also great? And apparently Amazon lets gift recipients swap out books?
    Golden_Idol_grab.jpeg

Gonna do so much reading. Thank you Santa! Merry Christmas!

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Hey hey hey, Sanderson is a writing machine, Santa. Dude's always working on three books at once, you'll get your third book like the rest of us soon enough.

• Options

So what do you eat?

I do like vegetables now depending on how they're cooked

I ate meat probably every day for 20 something years. Supremely fussy eater until I went vegan and was forced to expand my horizons. Still find it difficult sometimes though.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular

But it's almost 10pm here, and my brain is tired from panicking over some credit card fraud I discovered and dealt with instead of attempting to assign values to assorted greys.

Yeah, I'm too busy to try digging into this today, but I wish I could. The only thing I'd toss out here is to maybe consider your username at some point, being 6 characters long as well. I'll be really curious to see where it ends up all the same~

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Elin wrote: »

Even if I had a computer that was able to play more games my console lineup right now is all consuming.

In progress:
    Dragon Quest 7
    Dragon Quest Builders
    World of Final Fantasy
    Destiny (they dragged me back)

Coming up:
    Final Fantasy 15
    Dragon Quest 8
    Persona 5

I have also committed to finally studying to get my CCENT certification as step 1 to CCNA. I'm also angling for a promotion at work so I need to be on point there. Cross your fingers all.

Yeah, my PC these days can't run the big AAA titles anymore, so I'm mostly playing indies, mmos, and older gog games. That's ok though, because I've got a big backlog on my xbox, ps4, and wii u.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    OK, it's after Remembrance Day now, I'm allowed to enjoy Christmas publicly.

Stage 1: Trees!

t7sNlPRh.jpg

do8JiC6h.jpg

Stage 1.5: Clean up all the empty boxes.

Stage 2: The Giftening Commences!

I'm still on Stage 1.5 but I anticipate a speedy resolution.

• Options

See -

Santa

wlophoull4bl.jpg

Hmmm. I think that
    29 (+) 46 (=) 75
    might work?

Yeah, I'm too busy to try digging into this today, but I wish I could. The only thing I'd toss out here is to maybe consider your username at some point, being 6 characters long as well. I'll be really curious to see where it ends up all the same~

Isn't there 8 cubes? Is there some kind of counting with 8's? You did 10 and hex, I know those. But are you sure that the "+" is a "+" and ""=" is an "=?"

I'm not sure how rounding has anything to do with the number of cubes though.

See -

Santa

wlophoull4bl.jpg

Hmmm. I think that
    29 (+) 46 (=) 75
    might work?

In GIMP the values are 90, 10 + 79, 21 = 31, 69. Each set adds up to 100.

Maybe these numbers need to be rounded?

I'm not sure when I will check the thread again. I am off for the weekend. Santee, don't worry. I will get something done soon. I have plans in the works.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Far be it from me to question your branding Square-Enix, but might I suggest a different name for your merchandise so I'm not looking at this front and center when I open a box?
    n76F90d.jpg

Accumulation continues...

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I feel like I say this every year.

Please no puzzles Santa. I would be absolutely horrible at them.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    As a reminder to my Santa; the wife, kiddo, and I will be out of town from December 2nd-18th. If you send your gift during those times, our house sitter will bring it in but I won't post anything until we get back home.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Hope you're ready for something a little weird, Santee.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »
    Hope you're ready for something a little weird, Santee.

How weird are we talking? Treats from an unknown country? Helicopter dongs? Severed heads? C'mon, you gotta give us something to work with...

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty