As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tyranny] Obsidian's Brush with Evil

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Paradox is live streaming a bit of the game right now, if anyone's curious.

• AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    My last post of off-top about books: Malazan Book of the Fallen is a much better version of what Black Company's author was trying to do, if anyone is interested in reading something similiar.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    It's unlocking! This is a brand new IP right? I haven't played Pillars of Eternity yet, but no need, correct?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Drez wrote: »
    It's unlocking! This is a brand new IP right? I haven't played Pillars of Eternity yet, but no need, correct?

Yeah, there is no connection between these two games.

• MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    My last post of off-top about books: Malazan Book of the Fallen is a much better version of what Black Company's author was trying to do, if anyone is interested in reading something similiar.

Ehh... there's a lot of interesting things in the Malazan books and some of the earlier ones are great but the whole 10-book thing has a lot of unnecessary weirdness to it and especially the constant world-weary dialogue starts getting a bit old towards the end IMO.

• ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    The series did end poorly imo.

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I don't agree it did it better than TBC...I feel like they are very different books. But I did enjoy Malazan quite a bit. Up until Reaper's Gale, which somehow completely killed my momentum with the series. I've been trying to finish that book for like 4 years now =p.

I tried to go in with as blank a slate as I could, but I couldn't stop myself from watching the Tyranny launch trailer just now. I am salivating to get home.

vamen on
  • AsheAshe Registered User regular
    I absolutely adore the Malazan series. While the highlights for me were books 2 and 3 (especially the Chain of Dogs storyline within book 2) I still thoroughly enjoyed the entire series and the finale.

And back on topic, really looking forward to hearing some impressions of Tyranny this eve!

steam_sig.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    this game
    so many choices
    everything is choices
    all the time choices

Also
    you WILL make either red guys or purple guys angry.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    So kyros has ridiculous god like powers...he can pretty much make anything he wants happen whenever he wants (apparently, it's the first thing you're told about the guy basically)

So what the hell is the point of anyone else...I hope there's far more to these edicts otherwise I'm going to be constantly pulled out of the game world. Just can't suspend my disbelief that far.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    So kyros has ridiculous god like powers...he can pretty much make anything he wants happen whenever he wants (apparently, it's the first thing you're told about the guy basically)

So what the hell is the point of anyone else...I hope there's far more to these edicts otherwise I'm going to be constantly pulled out of the game world. Just can't suspend my disbelief that far.

Still at work and haven't played the game, but it's kind of like that Twilight Zone episode The Mind & The Matter where a guy can just imagine the world as anything he wants, but he finds it incredibly boring and just brings everything back because otherwise. . .what's the point.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    edited November 2016

Or maybe that's just what everyone THINKS from propaganda and rumor but we later learn that's not the case at all.
    Maybe it's a Lord Ruler situation like in Mistborn.
    I'm eager to find out. Come ooooon work, goooooo.

vamen on
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Some Obsidian devs and Paradox publishers are doing an AMA on Reddit right around now.

A quote on Tyranny's story.
    The biggest challenge has been our level of choice & reactivity in the game. We've mentioned before that there are 4 major quest paths through the game, which give you very different quests, NPCs you interact with, storylines, etc. Weaving all of those paths together through the various areas of the game has been a challenge.

It's taken a lot of dedicated work from our design, narrative, and QA teams to have this all come together in a way that we're proud of. It's been a lot of work, and I hope that everyone enjoys seeing the different stories as much as we've enjoyed creating them.

And a quick quote on Obsidian's future.
    We are about 215 people right now, and we are working on five things - Armored Warfare, Tyranny, and Pathfinder Adventures. The other two include one that is pretty easy to guess, while the other is really cool, but nothing we have talked about yet.

They're teaming with Paradox, I'm 99.9% sure one of the games is Vampire.

Assuran on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Since everyone is mentioning the The Black Company someone tell me if I finished the series since it's been awhile and I can't recall much but the ending.

The Black Company Spoilers (possibly the very end or at least an end):
    Croaker ends up switching bodies with an all powerful golem thing and uses that to power up The Lady?

Was that the end?

I hope Tyranny doesn't end like that or I've spoiled myself already!

Xeddicus on
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Since everyone is mentioning the The Black Company someone tell me if I finished the series since it's been awhile and I can't recall much but the ending.

Croaker ends up switching bodies with an all powerful golem thing and uses that to power up The Lady?

Was that the end?

Yes, it was.

There were rumours that author was planning to write a sequel, but since it's been i think 10 years since we last heard anything about it, i think we won't get anything new from this world.

Zavian wrote: »
    I just finished my pre-load on Steam, plan to devote my non-working/sleeping hours to some Tyranny. I've read up a bit on it, but also trying to abstain from too much info so I can experience it fresh. I'm going to try to do a non-douche run and overthrow the bad dudes, if the game even lets me, but not above being seduced to the dark side depending on circumstances

I saw a stranger playing a little bit of it, and know there's spell building and base management. . .because those were the videos que'd next. Other than Evil Wins I'm thankfully blind on this.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

No one has ever seen him and no one knows how his powers work. He does do miraculous things but it seems like there are limitations as to what he can do and when he can do it.

steam_sig.png
    edited November 2016
    Asthariel wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Was that the end?

Yes, it was.

There were rumours that author was planning to write a sequel, but since it's been i think 10 years since we last heard anything about it, i think we won't get anything new from this world.

Port of Shadows and A Pitiless Rain (man, he makes some great sub-titles) are SUPPOSEDLY still in the works, but it has indeed been a while since there were updates.
    Cook HAS released a few new BC stories in the last few years, though. Most of them being included in various anthologies. The most recent was "Bone Eaters" back in 2015.

I do hope we see the sequels. I'm really interested to see what happens with
    Tobo

But Cook is, frankly, sort of a dick and seems to have almost contempt for people who are uber fans of his work. So I'm not sure he has that "I must do it for the fans!" drive like some authors.
    On the other hand, he recently released the last book in his Dread Empire series after a ~25 years gap between the previous one, and this is after he had the original manuscript stolen back in the day. So maybe there is hope.
    He is getting pretty old, though... =\

</off-topic>

vamen on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Reporting in after playing for a couple of hours...saw this mentioned earlier but normal is ludicrously easy, definitely play on at least hard.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    So how is this?

How Black Company-ish is this?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Huh.

Some mild spoilers.
    about the ending
    is just a cliffhanger sequel hook that leaves the big stuff unanswered entirely

I'll probably actually skip this now.

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    This is really fun so far. Beats the crap out of Pillars, IMO.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Huh.

Some mild spoilers.
    about the ending
    is just a cliffhanger sequel hook that leaves the big stuff unanswered entirely

I'll probably actually skip this now.
    It's just a meta commentary on the game's theme.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I like how it handles the intro a lot, makes you feel more a part of the world than just getting lore dumps from npc conversations. Of course, you still get those as well if you want to ask about things.

The conversation system is great, too. Events or people or places show highlighted as hover tips, where you can right click on it to get more information about what they're talking about. Things that your character would know but would be awkward to put into the conversation. It's great.

I've already got two titles people know me by: "Queenslayer" and "Stormbringer" and i've only just gotten past the tutorial area. All stuff related to the prologue. It's awesome, I like this a lot.

E: The game also looks a lot better than Pillars. The character models are still kind of low-res since you'll be viewing them at a distance always, but the textures and art style is stylized enough that it works really well. And of course the locations are gorgeous as always.

Aistan on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I managed to be called both Peacebringer and Firestarter, and am now very conflicted.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    I managed to be called both Peacebringer and Firestarter, and am now very conflicted.

You know you're a fire starter

A twisted fire starter

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

There is peace when all is ash

rockrnger wrote: »

You know you're a fire starter

A twisted fire starter

a6stBrw.jpg

I'm laughing at the scrappy, tribal Red Hordes, and the stoic "Blue" elites. Sounds about right. Just way too on the nose to not be awesome.

And already I find the lore better than PoE (or even Divinity for that matter).

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I'm not a fan of the Party AI. It overrides my commands constantly, but I don't want to have to micro abilities

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    I wish my brain would allow me to use a portrait that has a different weapon that what I was planning on using.

McHoger wrote: »
    I wish my brain would allow me to use a portrait that has a different weapon that what I was planning on using.

And then I have to pick a hair style and color that matches the portrait.

Aistan wrote: »
    McHoger wrote: »

And then I have to pick a hair style and color that matches the portrait.

i too wish I did not have to do that.

steam_sig.png
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Obsidian sticking with Baldur's Gate-era colour palettes in the year 2016 is a bit of a scratch your head moment.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    What uh were the "Preorder Items" that steam downloaded and I can't find out information on anywhere?

steam_sig.png
  • TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    In these games, I almost always pick a portrait I like and then make a character around that. It's how I ended up playing a red-headed Elf cipher in Pillars.

• RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    What uh were the "Preorder Items" that steam downloaded and I can't find out information on anywhere?

accessory that gives +2 resolve and some boots that remove a negative effect based on something... I forget precisely.

Retaba wrote: »

accessory that gives +2 resolve and some boots that remove a negative effect based on something... I forget precisely.

It's either upon killing an enemy or winning the fight. I can't remember which one.

• RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Killing the enemy sounds right to me!

Three things. Getting thrown into a sudden fight after spending 20 minutes going through dialogue choices and picking up loot in a place then dying is pretty annoying.

I wish the game auto-paused to start a battle.

Is there a way to slow down battle?

steam_sig.png