As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Voice recognition in Windows Vista.

harvestharvest By birthright,a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
This message was composed entirely with Windows Vista's integrated voice recognition software. Overall, getting the words that I want to appear on the screen actually into the forum box was very difficult. The biggest problem is that I haven't yet trained the software to recognize my voice and so I have to enunciate very clearly have to repeat myself frequently. All in all it took probably 10 times longer for me to dictate this message and post it to the board that it would have if I typed it manually. I can see this kind of software becoming more useful as it matures, unfortunately now it is too cumbersome to use on a regular basis. Surprisingly, I did not encounter any problems of context regarding homonyms.

One of the things that is most annoying about the software is that it cannot select fields on a webpage and I can't seem to dictate directly into the forum box, so what I had to do was actually dictate this text in wordpad and then copy and paste it into the forms input field. This is in firefox, so maybe it will work better in Internet explorer. I don't know, I have not tried yet. Also, as you can see, capitalization is difficult to do so I have ignored it for the most part in this post. However, in other programs such as windows mail, you can just say the name of the field you want to type in and will move the cursor there for you.

If I had no hands this would be an acceptable solution, however I'm just lazy and this is far too much work for lazy person like me. It is kind of fun to play with as a novelty, but is not something I would depend on to get work done.

B6yM5w2.gif
harvest on

• Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think Windows XP's VR software was also rather cool, but I really, really think typing is a lot faster, plus I can have my music blaring through speakers instead of having to grab my Sennheisers.

sonictk on
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Is the XP VR software better or as good as the programs you can buy in the store?

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    They are all kind of bad. My doctor (uses the XP software) has trained up his for dictation and it works most of the time, but he still has a transcriptionist go over it just to be sure.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The training really doesn't take that long, but since my enunciation is bad enough that most people who haven't gotten used to it have trouble understanding me, so I don't really blame it for only getting half the words right. But because of the difficulty getting it to understand a particular word, it's fine in dictation where you can go back and fix it, but if it has trouble in command mode, it's way too frustrating to try to use when it won't recognize a comand you have to use multiple times (I'm looking at you "replace"). Overall, more trouble than it's worth

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png