As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tyranny] Obsidian's Brush with Evil

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Three things. Getting thrown into a sudden fight after spending 20 minutes going through dialogue choices and picking up loot in a place then dying is pretty annoying.

I wish the game auto-paused to start a battle.

Is there a way to slow down battle?

In PoE, there were auto-pause and auto-slow-mode options in the game options.

• imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    my finger is on the buy button, but its up to you guys:

is the combat more responsive than POE?

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    The game follows a long line of isometric RPGs in which the auto-pause feature has a number of options available to it. That aren't enabled by default.

First thing I always do: click the boxes that pause combat upon entering combat and on character death.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Three things. Getting thrown into a sudden fight after spending 20 minutes going through dialogue choices and picking up loot in a place then dying is pretty annoying.

In PoE, there were auto-pause and auto-slow-mode options in the game options.

And there are auto-pause and auto-slow options in the menu. Definitely turn on Auto-pause for trap found and start of battle, anything else is really up to you.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I thought PoE had that so I was kind of confused as to why it wasn't in this game. I think I dove so deep into the lore I forgot to dive into the options menu. Thanks.

steam_sig.png
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    kaliyama wrote: »
    mi4v2c9um6aj.png

FUUUUUUUU. I'm pre-loading anyway off of GOG. It's 5.5 gb. If anyone hasn't read the first 3 black company books, I suggest you do so.

I suggest them ALL (except maybe Silver Spike). Though it seems many others did not love the later books as I did, so I might be alone in my recommendation.
    EDIT - if you drive a lot, the audiobook versions from Audible are freakin' fantastic. The narrator for each one is spot on.

I didn't enjoy the unmasking of The Lady in the later books, but did enjoy getting to know about the Company's founding and past. Some of the characters were awesomely done - Mogaba for example. I could never decide if he was tragic or a right a-hole.

Jutranjo wrote: »
    Asthariel wrote: »
    ... i wonder if Tyranny features some kind of superpowerful nearly immortal mages...

Well, yeah the archons. One of them seems very similar to Soulstealer. Or was she called Soultaker? No Limper, Howler, Changer yet.

Soultaker.

Asthariel - I want to yell blasphemy, but from what I can tell, a lot of people aren't fond of the later BC books, so you're not alone there.

Soulcatcher

Rainfall wrote: »
    This is really fun so far. Beats the crap out of Pillars, IMO.

I like the art style better than PoE. And the UI is better, or at least easier to determine what's going on with the rules in the background (to me anyway).

Yes, I can't recall the keys offhand. There is also an option to auto-slow during combat as well.

Also, there are many auto-pause options - one is indeed battle start.

edited November 2016
    Bigity wrote: »

Yes, I can't recall the keys offhand. There is also an option to auto-slow during combat as well.

Also, there are many auto-pause options - one is indeed battle start.

+ for double-speed. - for slow-mode. (By default.)

hippofant on
  • Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    *sigh*

Why do I do this to myself?

4 hours according to Steam, and I haven't made it past character creation yet.

*sigh*

By all accounts it's a shorter game built for replay ability. Don't overthink your choices, there's no "best answer."

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    *sigh*

By all accounts it's a shorter game built for replay ability. Don't overthink your choices, there's no "best answer."

There have been multiple times where I've just started punching people and it didn't end up badly

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    How micro-the-party heavy is this compared to PoE?

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

I haven't played the combat TOO much yet (I've been talking to everyone a lot), but there are only 4 party members as opposed to 6. So that already helps. Another thing is the combat seems...slower, somehow. Most melee abilities have 20-30 second cooldowns.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

The biggest issue is party positioning. The AI in hard will all just focus fire one dude and your people behave like they have zero attention span. I'm playing on super hard though.

• A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    What exactly does "fear" do?

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular

If you're talking about the reputation, it seems like there are two different reputations for each character and faction. Verse has Loyalty and Fear. Loyalty is the "positive" reputation, and you get it when you do things that she likes. Fear is the "negative" reputation, you get it when you do things she dislikes. They don't seem to be opposites, and you can gain one without losing the other. Both contribute to your overall reputation, though.

I'm expecting there to be consequences later on for having high in a "negative" reputation with a character or something, but I haven't seen any yet.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    imdointhis wrote: »
    my finger is on the buy button, but its up to you guys:

is the combat more responsive than POE?

Nope.
    *sigh*

How. . .this had way less "details" to finagle than PoE did (thank god). I was surprised how quickly I was tossed into the world building part of character creation.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Gotta say I really love the introductory stuff. I was aiming to please the disfavored hard and piss off the scarlet chorus for my first playthrough, but kind of ended up going a middle way since I really liked verse.

I like how your actions feel pretty natural considering the situation, you are an evil bastard without being a puppykicker. Really looking forward to how the rest of the game shapes up.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    ... i wonder if Tyranny features some kind of superpowerful nearly immortal mages...

Well, yeah the archons. One of them seems very similar to Soulstealer. Or was she called Soultaker? No Limper, Howler, Changer yet.

Soultaker.

Asthariel - I want to yell blasphemy, but from what I can tell, a lot of people aren't fond of the later BC books, so you're not alone there.

Soulcatcher

oh right, duh. Clearly it's been a while!

And I thought Mogaba was a pure asshole until you realize the reasons he did what he did, then he's a bit tragic.

So how do you talk to companions in this? I had a tutorial popup about it but misclicked off of it. Seems like it'd be straight forward but so far I haven't made it happen...unless you can only talk to them at given times and I simply haven't hit those times yet.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular

Soultaker.

Soulcatcher

And I thought Mogaba was a pure asshole until you realize the reasons he did what he did, then he's a bit tragic.

So how do you talk to companions in this? I had a tutorial popup about it but misclicked off of it. Seems like it'd be straight forward but so far I haven't made it happen...unless you can only talk to them at given times and I simply haven't hit those times yet.

There's a text icon on their portrait.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    So far I've done a lot of bad things but kicking someone off the top of the Spire is the best.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »

Soultaker.

Soulcatcher

There's a text icon on their portrait.

Ah ha. I guess no one has had anything to say yet. Thanks!

• Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    *sigh*

How. . .this had way less "details" to finagle than PoE did (thank god). I was surprised how quickly I was tossed into the world building part of character creation.

Oh, I consider Conquest part of character creation. But I'm really bad at this stuff! Deciding on looks/skills/NAME/etc. I probably spent that much time in Pillars of Eternity as well.

It's possibly also counting the time I took to look up the color values for the Armor/Tattoos from screenshots in Paint. (Stupid colorblindness. Is this Greenish, or more Yellow/Orange? Red or Brown? Is that Grey or pale Green? I know it doesn't really matter, since I'm the one looking at it, but I'd like to know, anyway. I'm still a little traumatized from learning the uTorrent icon was green, not red - after many, many years. Red and green are not the same color! I know that. I can see that. But ... somehow?) At least there seems to be a little more rhyme and reason to the order of those colors. Still feels a bit jumpy to me, but not as bad as in Pillars, at least to my eyes.

Oh well. Anyway, I made it! Now, time for bed and hope I don't decide to scrap this character and try something else tomorrow, or I'll never reach that camp.

edited November 2016
    Damn this game is rough, I guess there is a little bit of a learning curve to 're-learn' from the combat in PoE.

EDIT: Figuring out the spell creation stuff helped alot :D

Bigity on
    Wait I take it back the best thing is playing Kill-Bang-Marry with your party.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

can I play Bang-Bang-Also bang?

can I play Bang-Bang-Also bang?

You might be playing the wrong genre of game.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Urgh.

My internet went on the fritz yesterday about four hours before game release and didn't come back until after I'd gone to bed. Kind of frustrating.

But I'm finally downloading now, so... hopefully I won't lag too far behind the discussion.

So regarding a party member that you can pick up at the end of Act 1...
    Eb's 1/rest Loyalty combo ability is a straight up encounter win. It makes your entire party immune to damage for the duration, heals any damage you've taken, and pulses damage that'll basically kill anything that's not a boss. It's completely ridiculous.
    And you can earn enough loyalty in your conquest/first conversation with her that it's unlocked the whole time. Eb rules.

Also, in case people like to consider party members specs before making their own character, I've finished recruiting all the party members.

No story spoilers within, just spec info:
    #1: Dual Daggers/Bow. Rogue-type, very good at murdering. Combo attacks include a very long range multishot which is a GREAT opener.
    #2: Tank. Defaults to sword+Shield but no reason they can't take a 2-hander. Very stronk.
    #3: Support Mage. Comes with a lot of heals and a ranged interrupt. Combo powers include a heal for your PC, Slow time bubbles, and other fun stuff.
    #4: More battley-mage. Has a control tree and a Damage Tree, they can give lifesteal to your party and have the aforementioned ridiculously overpowered combo move(see prior post)
    #5: Unarmed fighter who's good at Stealth attacks. Very strong initiater, haven't seen the loyalty Abilities yet.
    #6: Aura-mage. Lots of buffs and debuffs and builds up to some very cool powerful attacks, huge combo powers.

So if you're counting that's 3 mage-types, 2 rogue-types, and 1 warrior-type. If you want a strong front line, don't play a mage or you're really locked in for party members.
    It's pretty easy to tell who will be in your party, anyone who tags Loyalty or Fear in conversations will fit.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    So far I've done a lot of bad things but kicking someone off the top of the Spire is the best.
    I considered that a good thing considering who I kicked off

appreciated the "This. Is. TYRANNY!" Steam cheevo as well

Zavian wrote: »

Who did you give the boot? I gave Ashe's 2nd in command the boot after I decided to take everything for myself and fuck those squabbling bastards.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »

Who did you give the boot? I gave Ashe's 2nd in command the boot after I decided to take everything for myself and fuck those squabbling bastards.
    cSiHXg5.jpg

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    i can't stop thinking

"how does he poop or eat?"

steam_sig.png
    i can't stop thinking

"how does he poop or eat?"

There's a reason the smell is mentioned so often.
    D:

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Also, in case people like to consider party members specs before making their own character, I've finished recruiting all the party members.

No story spoilers within, just spec info:
    #1: Dual Daggers/Bow. Rogue-type, very good at murdering. Combo attacks include a very long range multishot which is a GREAT opener.
    #2: Tank. Defaults to sword+Shield but no reason they can't take a 2-hander. Very stronk.
    #3: Support Mage. Comes with a lot of heals and a ranged interrupt. Combo powers include a heal for your PC, Slow time bubbles, and other fun stuff.
    #4: More battley-mage. Has a control tree and a Damage Tree, they can give lifesteal to your party and have the aforementioned ridiculously overpowered combo move(see prior post)
    #5: Unarmed fighter who's good at Stealth attacks. Very strong initiater, haven't seen the loyalty Abilities yet.
    #6: Aura-mage. Lots of buffs and debuffs and builds up to some very cool powerful attacks, huge combo powers.

So if you're counting that's 3 mage-types, 2 rogue-types, and 1 warrior-type. If you want a strong front line, don't play a mage or you're really locked in for party members.
    It's pretty easy to tell who will be in your party, anyone who tags Loyalty or Fear in conversations will fit.

You can spec
    Verse to be a pretty good tank if you have her use unarmed since she starts with a stance that increases dodge and unarmed uses dodge instead of parry against melee attacks.

Your starting weapon choices aren't extremely important since you can level up another weapon just by using it. And it's better to put your starting skill points into athletic, lore, and subterfuge rather than the weapon skills since they let you pass more skill checks.

Also, starting with a magic seems like the worst option since the weapons will give you a free ability while magic just gives you a spell that you can find or buy later.

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    someone said this game was easy so i put it on the hardest difficulty and its stupid

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions