As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Malifaux]2 Ed- Ripples of Fate! Victorian Horror skirmishgame

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    In my quest to pimp my Malifaux to the max I now have a fancy MtG deck box for all my cards, some nice tokens and will soon be ordering a rubber play mat. Plenty of scenery already at my club.

Any other extravagances to add to my play experience and feed my attempts to sate my frustrated desire to be playing whilst at work with internet purchasing?

How nice is your Fate deck? Because if you don't have, at a bare minimum, a plastic Fate deck you're barely even playing Malifaux.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I have two! A plastic Arcane Black and the new cardboard Classic.

I use the Classic one as I prefer the resemblance to a traditional poker deck even though it is inferior for shuffling. I tried sleeving it but it just became comically large and would collapse when piled up.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    In my quest to pimp my Malifaux to the max I now have a fancy MtG deck box for all my cards, some nice tokens and will soon be ordering a rubber play mat. Plenty of scenery already at my club.

Any other extravagances to add to my play experience and feed my attempts to sate my frustrated desire to be playing whilst at work with internet purchasing?

How nice is your Fate deck? Because if you don't have, at a bare minimum, a plastic Fate deck you're barely even playing Malifaux.

stahp it!

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    The Arcane decks are a bit awkward for me as the symbols are different. Not much different, but enough.

The new plastic decks (Bad Ink, Twisted and Iconic) are much better. Plus they come in fancy carbox boaxes with magnetic clasps big enough to also hold a crew deck.

-Loki- on
  • NisiNisi Registered User regular
    I love my iconic deck, despite the misprint :)

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I didn't have the money to get the Iconic deck at gencon, so I missed it. At least the misprint will be fixed by the time I get it.

Heads up - Novembers promotion. The Sky Pirates (the new Gremlin crew from Ripples of Fate) will have stickered boxes containing an extra model. That extra model is Miss Terious, who is super hard to get a hold of.

I was grabbing the crew anyway, but annoyingly I bought Miss Terious about 2 months ago for about $70au. Oh well, that one was missing its M2E card, so it can stay in its box next to my second Santana.

edited November 2016
    I made a pessimistic bet on the Orange Clown so have a wad of cash to blow on something reckless and am considering going the full $300 deep into the Black Friday sale despite UK shipping and poor exchange rates.

After I've removed my desires (Nellie box, 1 Terrracotta Warrior from box of 3, 1 Thrall from box of 2, maybe 1 Mounted Guard from box of 2) I reckon I've got a pretty decent chance of selling on the freebies (maybe minus the Sergeant) and early releases on to the UK market for a decent chunk of money back, if not profit.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    The freebies generally go for about $70us on ebay, so you should be able to recoup 1/3 to 1/2 depending on demand. Personally, the only one that really appeals to me is the alternate Nico, mostly because I think the sculpt is nice, but I don't want to play Nico (or ressers in general), and the other 3 aren't doing it for me, so I'll pass on trying to get them.

I'll likely be just grabbing the Dead Outlaws for Jack Daw and maybe the Will-o-the-Wisps. If they have some alt's I'll see what's available. I'm really only after the alternate Barbaros though, but I like Dr Dufresne and she goes great visually with the starter box models so I might grab her if I see her there.

Overall though I really just want the Dead Outlaws. They add something new to Jacks crew that's missing (Sh actions) to go along with scheme running (Crooked Men), Ml (Guilty and Drowned) and Ca (Hanged). Makes the overall selection for the crew more rounded.

Acquired Ripples of Fate because I need something do to distract me from the election.

Titania and her homies are really cool.

Also, I'm super glad Molly got more Horrors to play with.

I'll post a bit more after I've had some time to digest.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

(I kinda want to play again.)

You should. It gets quiet in here.

• UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    Finally got Ripples of Fate as well, although I still need to read through. The problem is every time I read a Malifaux book, hundreds of dollars mysteriously disappear from my bank account and a bunch of plastic gets delivered to my doorstep. It truly is the wyrdest thing ...

edited November 2016
    I finally managed to wrangle another friend in! The guy I've been working on for what seems like a year, giving him demos with my Gremlins whenever he's interested, finally bit the bullet and joined the Wyrdos. He was initially just interested in Hamelin, and had been hemming and hawing over grabbing his crew and Brotherhood of the Rat for a while.

He messaged me the other day, he bought Hired Swords, Hans and Vanessa. Decided it was probably easier starting with something more straight forward, and stabby girl samurai seemed to fit the bill. He added Hans because he likes snipers and Vanessa since she synergizes so well with the Viktorias. I also recommended Lazarus, since it's basically a Dreadnought with a grenade launcher, but he wanted Hans. He has a thing for snipers. In Infinity he usually packs around 3 of them.

Good timing too because when he's ready to throw them on the table I should have my Bayou board finished. Ordered the last of what I needed, some scatter terrain. Got some stacked wood log 'fences' and some crates to make some height 1 and 2 pieces. Last few times I gave him demo games they were on whatever table the shop had spare which weren't really suited to Malifaux.

Turns out he also wants the alt Bishop from Black Friday (I think he's a Lobo fan), and since I really do like the alt Nico, I asked if he wanted to pool orders. He's interested. Now to wait to see if he changes his mind.

He also wants the Through the Breach Hannah model, because he doesn't like the general release Hannah. He seemed annoyed that I have one and was ready to blow $250au on one before he came to his senses. I'm still betting he buys one.

-Loki- on
    Oh dear. Reading a FB Wyrd Place thread about Mounted Guardsman scale issues.
    kzq1ks32m70v.jpg

kw5cjc041y7d.jpg

Oh dear.

I hear similar issues with Reva but at least she's meant to be a barely more than a child.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Happens sometimes. Usually the other way. Young Nephilim are twice the size they're meant to be. One of the Young LaCroix Gremlins is taller than human models. Moon Shinobi are much bigger than regular Gremlins.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Wyrd does that a lot.

edited November 2016
    Yeah they do. It's, again, usually the other way. Some of it is intentional. The kneeling Samurai that is nearly as tall as the two standing Samurai is an in-joke from their putty sculpting days where they struggled to get kneeling models scaled correctly. The benefit of doing it in a box like that is they're Rare 3 when most people struggle to fit one in their list, so most people just buy the set, build one or two, and leave the others on the sprue or on-sell them. The kneeling guy likely never hits the table, and even if he does, he's not with the others so you don't see it.

The Mounted Guard seem like a straight up scale mistake. Like the Moon Shinobi and the female multipart plastic kit, they decided to release them as is. My guess is they based the size on Reva and sent them off to Warlord at the same time, and by the time they realised Reva was way too small, Warlord were already tooling the Mounted Guard sprues and they didn't want to pay to start over.

This, I'm guessing, might be one of the reasons they're going pre-built PVC for The Other Side. Using vulcanised rubber molds and spin casters, it's like working with metal. They can spot scale issues at the master print stage rather than the tooling stage so it's cheaper to fix. There's myriad other reasons they are likely doing it as well (cheaper production, more models means more building their complicated models, people seem to buy the absolute shit out of their current PVC stuff, etc) but I'm thinking scaling issues are part of it.

-Loki- on
    This is why I love Wyrd.
    Hey everyone!

As some of you may have noticed, the Mounted Guards that we released at GenCon are at a different scale than our other miniatures. This was an unintentional mistake on our part, and if you purchased one of these sets, you have our apologies for not living up to the high standards you've come to expect from our company.

In order to correct this mistake, we've pulled the Mounted Guards from our production schedule in order to get them resized to the proper scale. When the new and improved Mounted Guards return, they'll be properly sized and ready to take the fight to the Guild's enemies!

If you purchased the Mounted Guards, then we will be taking steps to rectify our mistake and make it up to you. Please use the "Contact" button on our website and select the "Damaged / Mispacked Product" option to report your improperly scaled Mounted Guards, and once the correctly-sized Mounted Guards arrive, we will replace your product free of charge.

Once again, your have our apologies for our mistake and our thanks for your patience as we sort this out. Our fans are the best, and we feel terrible for having let you down like this.

On the one hand a good response. On the other hand I doubt they were entirely unaware of the issue until now, which means they decided they'd try and get away with it.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited November 2016
    Quite likely. As discussed above, they've put several kits into production knowing there's scale issues. None of them have received the backlash this did though.

Tooling a mold is expensive so retooling is usually not an option, which is why it was never done in the past. The fact they're doing it will build a lot of good will.

-Loki- on
    Ended up having to bail out of the Black Friday sale. Bunch of unexpected bills came up. Oh well alt Nico will come up elsewhere.

Friend bailed as well. He said he thought about it and spending that much money to get one alt mini probably wasn't a great idea.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Ended up having to bail out of the Black Friday sale. Bunch of unexpected bills came up. Oh well alt Nico will come up elsewhere.

Friend bailed as well. He said he thought about it and spending that much money to get one alt mini probably wasn't a great idea.

It seems genuinely difficult to actually hit the point where you get Nico and Bishop? Like, this is a pretty small scale game, I could buy a whole new faction and still miss the $300 mark.

That's my main complaint. When a crew is ~$35us, you're looking at buying nearly 10 crew boxes, or an equivalent amount of models. It's obscene amount of Malifaux models. Like you say, you could buy a whole faction and come up short (dependong on the faction, some would blow past it easily). It really does seem made for people that either only buy a huge lot once a year or groups who split orders (though agreeing on who gets what can be difficult).

The Black Friday $300us limit models are my sole complaint about Wyrd LE models. Everything else is expensive to buy or qualify for but reasonable for LE models. Those are not.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I decided to get back into this, played some in first edition. Picked up the starter box and these platics are real nice. A little static but I gather that these are simpler starter models. Used to play ressers but think I'm probably going to be playing guild this time, I gather Sonnia works well with the guild in the box (because thier witch hunters, I guess because they might lock witches up in the hospital ?), but what should I grab next? I'm thinking riflemen, austringers, lady justice box for death marshals anything else a "must have" for guild?

Sonnia's boxset and then another box of Witchling Stalkers if you're planning on using Sonnia to summon them. A single Witchlinger is actually an excellent complement to any Guild list, as they can cleanse conditions from models.

Witchling Handlers, Riflemen, Francisco Ortega is probably the best single model in Guild. The Ortega Box actually has a lot to offer and Perdita is an extremely competitive Master.

You only really need one Death Marshal unless you are focusing Lady J, and her synergies have been "meh" until Ripples.

Managed to swap one of my spare Sanctioned Spellcasters for a Witchling and another for a coffin surfing Death Marshal. Malifaux swapsies is going well.

Hoping to try out messing around with Changelings copying the Marshal's boxing ability. That and some highly situational but amusing Changeling/Clockwork Trap shenanigans.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

It seems genuinely difficult to actually hit the point where you get Nico and Bishop? Like, this is a pretty small scale game, I could buy a whole new faction and still miss the $300 mark.

I've done it twice, but only by getting at least four people to go in on a buy.

edited November 2016

This is probably the best option. Since you get all 4 models, 4 people can divde that up nicely. The issue comes when people want the same model.
    Norgoth wrote: »
    I decided to get back into this, played some in first edition. Picked up the starter box and these platics are real nice. A little static but I gather that these are simpler starter models.

The starter box models were purposely made much simpler to make it easier for new people to get in. Once you buy some crew boxes, the build difficulty can range from equivalent to the starter to, well, insane. Be glad you didn't pick Gremlins.

-Loki- on
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular

This is probably the best option. Since you get all 4 models, 4 people can divde that up nicely. The issue comes when people want the same model.
    I decided to get back into this, played some in first edition. Picked up the starter box and these platics are real nice. A little static but I gather that these are simpler starter models.

The starter box models were purposely made much simpler to make it easier for new people to get in. Once you buy some crew boxes, the build difficulty can range from equivalent to the starter to, well, insane. Be glad you didn't pick Gremlins.

Yeah it's fine, I'm a very experienced modeller so it's fine.

edited November 2016

Yeah it's fine, I'm a very experienced modeller so it's fine.

I said that before buying into Gremlins. Then I built some of the kits.

Generally Malifaux models can be complex but fairly intuitively cut. Gremlins are not. They're also mostly about the size of your last pinky knuckle.

edit - don't think I'm trying to be discouraging. I just wish when I was a new Malifaux gamer someone had warned me about Gremlins.

-Loki- on
    edited November 2016
    Clockwork traps were a tad fiddly to make...

Speaking of which, why is the Pathfinder and his Traps dual faction with 10T? Nothing in the fluff to indicate a reason for that at all.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    Talked myself back from the Black Friday ledge. Apart from the cost risks of importing and the hassle of selling on, I looked at the mountain of plastic sat in the shopping basket and realised I seriously risked burning out my enthusiasm by taking on so much in one go.

Slow and steady.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    I grabbed alternate Barbaros. I've wanted him since he was the $300 model last Black Friday, but he never came up for sale when I had the money, and was pretty obscenely priced. Also the Neverborn poster for my gaming room, since I wanted the Black Joker model for an objective marker.

That's it though.

Got some 'Faux for the first time in about a month. Pathfinder and traps were fun. Changelings didn't impress. Loved the Doppelganger. Death Marshall died without doing much of anything and the Witchling Stalker popped on turn one. In the middle of all my guys. Important lesson learned re: Hans!

MhCw7nZ.gif
    I've got a lingering hatred for Death Marshals after one of those fuckers boxed Pandora in a 30ss game. A Pandora crew in a game that small can't really do much without her. It was sweet, sweet revenge when I managed to get Baby Kade to double team one in another game with a Sorrow. Bonus points when he got to double team The Judge with Candy next turn. He can get some nasty damage off with Sweetbreads and another friendly model in the combat.

Personally I can't make the Doppleganger work. Like, I see the appeal and realise how it works, but I just can't manage to pull it off. I'll keep trying, but so far it hasn't done much for me.

Nathan said they're hoping to get the kickstarter for The Other Side going mid December. Seems like an odd time. Hopefully they have a pledge manager so I can throw a bit in in December/January but go all out when they put the pledge manager up. They also put up some more information on the game.

I love the Gibbering Hordes. it's like they're channeling the best parts of Tyranids, but removing the Hive Mind so there's some personality. At least that's what I gather from the little speach from 'The Stormsiren'. Interesting background too - the original inhabitants of Malifaux that sided with the Tyrants against the Neverborn, who were driven into the sea, where they slowly morphed into these critters.

Cult of the Burning Man, you say?

I'm liking the revealed factions. "The British and Abyssinian Empires fight Lovecraftian monsters and a demonic cult" is a pretty good sell!

Also smart to not include existing factions, but still tie the games together in the same universe.

If they used the same factions, you'd have more people playing both games. While that sounds good, it's not desirable. When you've got one customer that plays two of your games, they don't spend double the amount of money. They spend the same, but split it between the products.

By using new factions, that link is gone for people to follow. 'I play, Neverborn in Malifaux, I'll play it in The Other Side'. But the common link of the same universe is still there for people who want to play and get the full picture.

I wonder if they will do crossover cards for some characters though. Hans would make a good travelling mercenary in both games, and his sniper rifle will get more room to breathe in the larger battlefields of The Other Side.

edited December 2016
    The Other Side Allegiances preview. I'm still way into Gibbering Hordes, and that Stormrisen is gorgeous, but I'm digging Cult of the Burning Man as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vSqhocRM4Y

-Loki- on
    Looking good

Some of those models look absolutely beautiful.

There's... a good chance I'm going to be spending far too much on that Kickstarter.