As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Juicero Memorial [Tech Thread]

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    thanks T4CT, my boss was asking me about the pixel so I'll pass along the impressions

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    Guess who just learned there was a new tech thread (this guy)
    Out of curiosity, anyone been messing around with a Pixel? My shitty iPhone 5C's two year plan ends in mid-February, and I'm ready to cut ties with Apple but have been out of the Android loop for over four years. My sister's in a similar position, fed up with Apple and eyeing the Pixel.

@T4CT

Also how is the daydream?

@Emerlmaster999 Beebsy. The Pixel owns. I feel comfortable saying it's my favourite phone I've ever used. Coming from a 5C, you're gonna have to get used to a size bump, but imo it's worth it (the phone I was using to this was an SE, so I sort of get it, but before that it was a Nexus 6P so I'm kind of already used to it.)

For reference, I am using the regular Pixel, not the XL. The specs are the same except the Pixel XL has a quad HD screen (probably a little better for VR) and a larger battery. Here are a list of things that own with the Pixel:

1) The camera is god tier. It seriously takes incredible photos, even in low light, and it's INSANELY fast even though it's shooting in HDR.
    2) All the sweet photos you take of the ol' ferret (not a dick reference Beeb has a ferret, I guess if people reading this don't have a ferret feel free to use your imagination) are stored in google photos at FULL resolution, unlimited, which is a major bonus. Google photos already had unlimited photo storage for photos at high resolution (but not necessarily max) so this just makes it all the sweeter.
    3) You can swipe down on the fingerprint sensor to pull down the notification bar. Game changer.
    4) Battery life gets me an easy 14 hours on most days, the lowest battery life I've ever had on the phone up until yesterday was 11.5 (yesterday was Daydream View day so it was getting used a LOT and it was all for VR, it's not a good metric for the ol' battery life)
    5) By the way, Daydream View is a very good VR experience
    6) In the US you'll get to use Android Pay (lucky you) and tap payment solutions own the only thing I miss from the SE is apple pay

There are lots of other things I love but most of them just stem from this being a best-in-class android phone and are not Pixel specific

Good to hear.

Also my old ferret passed away almost four years ago; now it's a pair of 3 year old brothers.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Guess who just learned there was a new tech thread (this guy)
    Out of curiosity, anyone been messing around with a Pixel? My shitty iPhone 5C's two year plan ends in mid-February, and I'm ready to cut ties with Apple but have been out of the Android loop for over four years. My sister's in a similar position, fed up with Apple and eyeing the Pixel.

@T4CT

Also how is the daydream?

@Emerlmaster999 Beebsy. The Pixel owns. I feel comfortable saying it's my favourite phone I've ever used. Coming from a 5C, you're gonna have to get used to a size bump, but imo it's worth it (the phone I was using to this was an SE, so I sort of get it, but before that it was a Nexus 6P so I'm kind of already used to it.)

For reference, I am using the regular Pixel, not the XL. The specs are the same except the Pixel XL has a quad HD screen (probably a little better for VR) and a larger battery. Here are a list of things that own with the Pixel:

1) The camera is god tier. It seriously takes incredible photos, even in low light, and it's INSANELY fast even though it's shooting in HDR.
    2) All the sweet photos you take of the ol' ferret (not a dick reference Beeb has a ferret, I guess if people reading this don't have a ferret feel free to use your imagination) are stored in google photos at FULL resolution, unlimited, which is a major bonus. Google photos already had unlimited photo storage for photos at high resolution (but not necessarily max) so this just makes it all the sweeter.
    3) You can swipe down on the fingerprint sensor to pull down the notification bar. Game changer.
    4) Battery life gets me an easy 14 hours on most days, the lowest battery life I've ever had on the phone up until yesterday was 11.5 (yesterday was Daydream View day so it was getting used a LOT and it was all for VR, it's not a good metric for the ol' battery life)
    5) By the way, Daydream View is a very good VR experience
    6) In the US you'll get to use Android Pay (lucky you) and tap payment solutions own the only thing I miss from the SE is apple pay

There are lots of other things I love but most of them just stem from this being a best-in-class android phone and are not Pixel specific

Good to hear.

Also my old ferret passed away almost four years ago; now it's a pair of 3 year old brothers.

:(

DOUBLE THE FERRET PICS

• Options
    We ordered pixels this week (well I went with the xl, my wife went with the standard size). I'm pretty excited about it. Looks like I'm going to have to grab a daydream as well.

dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooope

one thing I will say is that your phone gets hot when it's in Daydream, so when you go to take it out, maybe give it a sec

But not like, "doesn't run anymore" hot, and certainly not "explodes" hot, so

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Yeah it bummed me out, but he was pretty old by then. I'd seen it coming for a while, and getting a pair of two month old siblings helped.

• Options
    Also, weirdly, using Daydream VR has made me like...strangely excited for the non-entertainment applications of VR

Like, I'm sitting on my couch working right now, and I'm just on this laptop because upstairs is where my monitors are and I like to be downstairs when I start my day -- but working on one screen is dinky and not efficient for my workflow at all

If I could slap on the ol' headset and then have like, windows everywhere.....that would be the dream. I'm very excited for that reality.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    best buy having an early black firday sale for the surface pro 4 m5. $600. pretty dang good

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Does anyone have recommendations for a universal Bluetooth keyboard case for a 9.7" Android tablet?

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    We ordered pixels this week (well I went with the xl, my wife went with the standard size). I'm pretty excited about it. Looks like I'm going to have to grab a daydream as well.

dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooope

one thing I will say is that your phone gets hot when it's in Daydream, so when you go to take it out, maybe give it a sec

But not like, "doesn't run anymore" hot, and certainly not "explodes" hot, so

I'll definitely watch for that. When I ordered the phones they told me it would take a couple of weeks to ship, but now it is looking like they'll be here on Tuesday. Very happy about that.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Blake T wrote: »
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I disagree on videogames though.
    It's the best time to be playing videogames and 2016 may be the strongest new release year in games ever.

video games, if there are things you want to play? Maybe? But honestly this year with just constant bullshit of mid-cycle upgrades and bullshit review policies and just everything. I think it had been one of the worst years (the jimquistion did a video on it actually) it almost makes me want to get out of the console side to be honest.

With the exception of Nintendo. Good Work Nintendo.

I feel like you have a better time if you separate the games from the industry stuff. If you've just got a console and play games and don't pay attention to the horseshit flying around, and especially if you can be an intelligent consumer (and I feel like that's incumbent on you regardless of what you're buying), then you've had a year of top-shelf releases. The mid-cycle upgrades don't seem like they're amounting to much on the Playstation side and who knows about Scorpio but if it comes out at $600 or whatever it's almost guaranteed to be a niche product and not affect the broader Xbox landscape, at least for a while.

I think the stuff around review policies is fuckin bullshit but honestly if you just wait a few days after a game comes out you can avoid a host of problems, not least of which is that network stuff and early patches cause a lot of launches to be a tire fire and you're better off waiting anyway.

I'm not trying to say you're wrong Blake, I totally get it, but I don't really feel the same way.

Peen on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Yeah there's been a lot of political stuff this year for the industry, but the release slate has been top notch.

There's never been a better time to play videogames.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Peen wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    It's the best time to be playing videogames and 2016 may be the strongest new release year in games ever.

video games, if there are things you want to play? Maybe? But honestly this year with just constant bullshit of mid-cycle upgrades and bullshit review policies and just everything. I think it had been one of the worst years (the jimquistion did a video on it actually) it almost makes me want to get out of the console side to be honest.

With the exception of Nintendo. Good Work Nintendo.

I feel like you have a better time if you separate the games from the industry stuff. If you've just got a console and play games and don't pay attention to the horseshit flying around, and especially if you can be an intelligent consumer (and I feel like that's incumbent on you regardless of what you're buying), then you've had a year of top-shelf releases. The mid-cycle upgrades don't seem like they're amounting to much on the Playstation side and who knows about Scorpio but if it comes out at $600 or whatever it's almost guaranteed to be a niche product and not affect the broader Xbox landscape, at least for a while.

I think the stuff around review policies is fuckin bullshit but honestly if you just wait a few days after a game comes out you can avoid a host of problems, not least of which is that network stuff and early patches cause a lot of launches to be a tire fire and you're better off waiting anyway.

I'm not trying to say you're wrong Blake, I totally get it, but I don't really feel the same way.

I mean, I think it is unfair that reviewrs can't offer their opinions before games are out. And I worry this means there will be fewer reviews, which ultiimately means there will be less reviews, I feel this makes it harder to become an intelligent consumer. But I am not the best example, I am not 100% sure but I don't think I've actually bought a videogame this year. I might buy skyrim in a weak or two. Or maybe Titanfall.

I think the only game I played this year was uncharted (I borrowed it off a friend) it was nice.

Blake T on
  • Options
    ManishtushuManishtushu Registered User regular
    I might grab a NAS tonight when they're on sale and was looking at a couple of options. I probably don't need more than a 2 bay, but if there are more I suppose I could always throw some older hard drives in.

There's a 2-bay Synology DiskStation for $249 and a 5-bay D-Link ShareCenter Pro for $299 that look pretty tempting. May be some others, like Drobo and QNAP but they haven't got prices up yet.

Any advice? I think I'm more interested in some of the applications I could put on to them rather than raw disk space, being able to put my own git repository up and QNAP being able to host Docker containers is definitely tempting.

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    I'm buying a PS4 Pro in a couple days. AMA

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I want a NAS but that is still too much for me... :(

• Options

What kind of TV do you have? Are you confident that you'll see something better when you get the Pro?

• Options
    ManishtushuManishtushu Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I want a NAS but that is still too much for me... :(

It's in dollary-dos so that's probably $50US

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular

Aren't you worried about it being pointless? I can't imagine a lot of developers putting much effort into a Pro game when they can just make a non Pro game and call it good.

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

What kind of TV do you have? Are you confident that you'll see something better when you get the Pro?

I have a 1080p set from a couple years ago. Very confident I'll be seeing results. I'm in it less for higher resolution and more for things like reducing texture pop-in, increased draw distance, better lighting, etc. on games like FFXV. Lots of games already confirmed to support supersampling for 1080p displays, as well, which is dope.
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Aren't you worried about it being pointless? I can't imagine a lot of developers putting much effort into a Pro game when they can just make a non Pro game and call it good.

Pointless? Nah. I love my PS4 and am excited by the possibilities consider what devs like Rockstar can achieve on more limited hardware. Plus there were the rumblings of Sony being pretty insistent for SOME form of Pro support for a lot of games.

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    On a scale of one to dope how hype are you for not having single player games drop frames when you're moving around the world? Remember to cite your hype sources

Does the extra layer of thickness still fit your living room aesthetic

In terms of your old PS4, are you going to use it as a larger than average coaster? Or perhaps mount it atop a single pillar to create a very high tech end table??? Are there other options I'm not aware of

Most importantly, are you going to put a dbrand skin on it???? y/n

• Options
    If you use "dope" and "kaioken" interchangeably, I am kaioken times 5. Those sweet, sweet consistent frames and no frame pacing issues would make me a likely candidate to star in a Crank remake.

My living room thickness average will slightly increase, but it only grows parallel to the size of my gut since I started this job six months ago.

I am going to mount it on a pike to make other PS4s aware that I have ascended and all will be converted to the New Way.

I'll be taking things a step further and using a car window decal. I can't decide if I should do tapout or tribal.

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Any chromebook recommendations? My laptop is on its way out and I think a chromebook would be a good fit for what I want to do with a laptop these days (using the Internet/writing)...

Edit - the addition of support for Android apps seems like it could be huge (though I suppose only if the book has a touchscreen)

nicopernicus on
  • Options
    Any chromebook recommendations? My laptop is on its way out and I think a chromebook would be a good fit for what I want to do with a laptop these days (using the Internet/writing)...

Edit - the addition of support for Android apps seems like it could be huge (though I suppose only if the book has a touchscreen)

How much do you want to spend and are a touchscreen and/or a 1080p screen important to you? What size laptop do you want?

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Blehhh my S7 battery is taking a crap. I need to get a new phone, but I can't decide if I want to just get another S7, or do like a Huawei P9, or a Nexus 6P, or go rogue and get a OnePlus 3.

I have almost zero interest in a Pixel, and it's super important that it has a good camera. The P9 has dual Leicas, but I've heard the UI is rubbish. I do use Nova Launcher so I could work around that to some degree depending on how rubbish it really is...

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    I would suggest sending your S7 through standard warranty process since it's definitely under a year old

If not, those are all good phones, but I believe that there is almost zero reason to get a Nexus 6P over a Pixel unless you've found an astounding deal on a 6P

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Yeah but I bought it in the U.S. and I've already had the glass replaced (ahem whoops, I did a fall) so ~

I'll be buying the phone out of pocket - I think my warranty goes up in Maaaarch? but I'd prefer not to buy a phone on the company line here for Reasons. But I haven't read any super-compelling reasons to get the Pixel rather than a cheaper 6P, so if you have them, I'd love to hear them.

Over all, though, I do love the hell out of my S7, so I may just get another of those unless someone has a powerful case for something else

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    jgeis wrote: »

How much do you want to spend and are a touchscreen and/or a 1080p screen important to you? What size laptop do you want?

The top end of my budget is probably $500, but cheaper would be great. I think a touchscreen would be good, but it not being 1080p isn't a deal-breaker. Size probably 13 inches or so? I'm not opposed to smaller though.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    tech thread did you ever look at the big round hole on a subwoofer and consider putting your donger in it and turning the bass up real loud?

broken image link
  • Options
    tech thread did you ever look at the big round hole on a subwoofer and consider putting your donger in it and turning the bass up real loud?

My kingdom for a penis or someone stupid enough to listen to my suggestions

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

Well.. I hadn't..

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Blehhh my S7 battery is taking a crap. I need to get a new phone, but I can't decide if I want to just get another S7, or do like a Huawei P9, or a Nexus 6P, or go rogue and get a OnePlus 3.

I have almost zero interest in a Pixel, and it's super important that it has a good camera. The P9 has dual Leicas, but I've heard the UI is rubbish. I do use Nova Launcher so I could work around that to some degree depending on how rubbish it really is...

For what it's worth my wife has a Huawei Honor 5x and the UI isn't all that bad. It's weird coming from stock Android and yeah, it's aping iOs in a weird way, but she's not picky about tech stuff and barely noticed the change between the new UI and her last phone (Moto G).

Also the phone's hardware is just fuckin gorgeous, Huawei makes really nice kit.

Peen on
  • Options
    jgeis wrote: »

The top end of my budget is probably $500, but cheaper would be great. I think a touchscreen would be good, but it not being 1080p isn't a deal-breaker. Size probably 13 inches or so? I'm not opposed to smaller though.

If you can live without a touchscreen, the Acer Chromebook 14 is my pick. Metal body, 1080p screen, quad-core Celeron and 4GB of RAM, a big, good trackpad, 11hr+ battery life, $300.

Surprisingly, there aren't very many good Chromebooks with a touchscreen. Most of the ones getting recommendations are in the 10"-11" size and have compromises.

• Options
    Yeah but I bought it in the U.S. and I've already had the glass replaced (ahem whoops, I did a fall) so ~

I'll be buying the phone out of pocket - I think my warranty goes up in Maaaarch? but I'd prefer not to buy a phone on the company line here for Reasons. But I haven't read any super-compelling reasons to get the Pixel rather than a cheaper 6P, so if you have them, I'd love to hear them.

Over all, though, I do love the hell out of my S7, so I may just get another of those unless someone has a powerful case for something else

I will caveat this by saying that the 6P is probably my favourite phone I've ever owned, period (I've only had the Pixel for a week and a bit, so time will tell I guess.)

In terms of battery life and overall design the Pixel is a leg-up on the 6P imo. The Pixel is also the most buttery smooth experience you can get for Android right now (the extra give of RAM helps this a lot, since the Pixel has 4, but this is mostly due to the snapdragon 821 being a noticeable improvement over the 810 that the 6P has.) I also think that the fact that there are two sizes of Pixel merits consideration -- the Nexus 6P, for all it's strengths, is a big phone.

When I buy a new phone, regardless of the reasoning, a factor that plays a large role in my decision making is longevity. The Nexus 6P is probably in pretty good shape for this -- Nexus phones usually get the newest version of Android for 3+ years after they release -- but that doesn't account for how those versions will perform. The Nexus 5 was notorious for being an overall great phone that ultimately saw some of the worst performance degradation in its later update years. The newer a phone model you buy, the longer you delay this shit.

Now for the fun punchline of the post -- this is all a very roundabout way for me to get to saying that you should probably just buy an S7.

I like the 6P more than the S7, but that's for selfish stock android reasons and not really for any particularly good ones. Switching off the S7, you lose waterproofing and you downgrade your camera (something you mentioned was pretty important to you.) Samsung is also currently testing 7.0 on the S7 devices, which means you're probably going to get a software upgrade that seems to be universally better than 6.0 pretty quickly. Unless you can find a HELLA steal for the 6P and say "I'm gonna buy this and get a new phone in a year anyways," getting an S7 is the most logical choice out of those 3. Grab a glass screen protector off Amazon for twelve bucks and call it a day.

• Options
    All three of those phones are dope though you can't really go wrong with any of them I just think that in terms of actual lifespan and performance the 6P is the lowest of those three options.

Some of it will come down to what kind of price point you can find the Nexus 6P at but doing a quick cursory search on the ol' US of A Amazon site shows like a $100 price difference between the 6P and an S7 and I think that that $100 is super worth it

(6P users, I'm with you and I love that phone, 21 gun salute for the last Nexus)

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Regarding the camera I thought the Pixel's camera/software was supposed to be really, really good? Plus the unlimited photo storage if you buy the Pixel.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Hmmm. There is interest from a teacher at work to buy my PS4 if I bought a PS4 Pro.

Hmmmmmmm.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Regarding the camera I thought the Pixel's camera/software was supposed to be really, really good? Plus the unlimited photo storage if you buy the Pixel.

Oh yeah for sure, top 3 cameras in smartphones right now are probably Pixel > iPhone 7+ > S7/Edge

Unlimited photo storage is tight but only if you want your photos stored on the cloud (I do! But some people don't)

MKBHD actually just put out his review of the Pixel and it's a pretty good summation of my thoughts and feelings on it here's a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR708uA4zQ8

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016

im not saying there aren't good games

there are good movies too, but the video game industry has just changed in a way that deals in terms of "blockbuster" or "bust", as opposed to just making good product

like, I don't think LucasArts of the 90's could happen in todays industry environment. they made like 50 just-OK games and 5 or 6 of them ended up being masterpieces.

now a big studio like 2K makes... what, maybe 3 games a year at most? and how frequently are they just sequels of their existing IP?

like.. check this list out. at a glance, wow they made like 20 games in 2016?! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Take-Two_Interactive_video_games

but when you look closely a huge majority of them are just console ports of existing games & sports sequels. jesus.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Take-two is a publisher, they didn't develop any of the games they released in 2016. Lucasarts was a self-publishing developer.

Take-two owns a bunch of developer studios but it's not exactly a comparable situation.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Take-two is a publisher, they didn't develop any of the games they released in 2016. Lucasarts was a self-publishing developer.

Take-two owns a bunch of developer studios but it's not exactly a comparable situation.

there is no comparable situation

This discussion has been closed.