As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Smartwatch Advice

So I am looking to get a smartwatch for my wife, primarily as a hitech mitten-string for her phone because she keeps leaving it everywhere.

A big problem for her is she has to have her phone on silent at work, but needs to know if she gets texts or emails immediately because they could be important (she works in a medical clinic).

As a result, she has a tendency to leave her phone on her desk in her field of view so she can see text/email alerts as they come up. But this has created a habit of her leaving her phone everywhere. It's infuriating. I love my wife but I am willing to drop money to fix this.

The additional complexity? She has a Lumia 830 Windows Phone. She is a Windows Phone diehard. Finding a smurch that works with a Windows phone is hard. We're looking at possibly the Band 2?

Also, any advice for a smoorch for myself would be cool. I am not one of the seventeen people still using a Windows Phone, I have a Nexus 6.

Neither of us are big fitness nerds, so all that heart/sleep/jerk off monitoring stuff that many smulches do nowadays doesn't matter. We do care about them having microphones and interacting with Cortana/OK Google respectively, that's a biggie. They are also not going to be phone replacements, in fact the whole idea is to be them flipping their shit if they get too far from the phone.

Any advice?

• Options
    jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    Band and pretty much any Android wear device will be your best bets. I have a moto 360 first generation that has served me very well, I recently broke the strap while helping someone move but prior to that it's been going strong.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    So I got a Microsoft Band 2 for my wife and I. Got Cortana set up on it with my phone, which is nice.

She's fussy though, Cortana. When I tell her to send a text from the Band, she'll compose the text as instructed, but there's no way to actually send the text without taking out my phone and pressing send, defeating the entire purpose of dictating it to her via the Band.

Anyone have any experience with Cortana and any thoughts on this?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Pony wrote: »
    So I got a Microsoft Band 2 for my wife and I. Got Cortana set up on it with my phone, which is nice.

She's fussy though, Cortana. When I tell her to send a text from the Band, she'll compose the text as instructed, but there's no way to actually send the text without taking out my phone and pressing send, defeating the entire purpose of dictating it to her via the Band.

Anyone have any experience with Cortana and any thoughts on this?

Simple answer is that despite promises of usability across platforms, it is best to get the smart watch that is made by the same platform company as your phone.

Microsoft bands work on everything but are inredibly limited on all but windows phones.

Google stuff is in the same boat. IOS/Android cross compatibility but the iOS stuff is hobbled due to not being able to dig deep into the foundation wrt triggers for things like sending messages, etc. It becomes a glorified notification device with a snazzy face.

Apple Watch doesn't even try to work on anything else, and it doesn't seem to be hurting Apple any, but yeah...

I would strongly suggest returning your band, having your wife keep hers, and then getting a moto 360 or gear s2.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, if you're on Android you're going to want an Android Wear device.

I have the Huawei watch with my Nexus 6P and it is alright. Decent alternative to the 360v2 if you get a good price.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I would add that pebble watches are a great alternative for android, less so for iPhone (doesn't work on windows phone). I have a pebble time and I really do like it as a notification triage thing and as a step counter.

the Time can be found for less than $100 US right now, the Time 2 which is coming soonish looks pretty good, and will be cheaper than most Android Wear watches.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I was using the Band 2 with my Note 4 for a while, and never had a hard time sending texts from the band. I never had Cortana do it, though, I typed it manually. The integration, as syndalis pointed out, is not amazing.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I would add that pebble watches are a great alternative for android, less so for iPhone (doesn't work on windows phone). I have a pebble time and I really do like it as a notification triage thing and as a step counter.

the Time can be found for less than $100 US right now, the Time 2 which is coming soonish looks pretty good, and will be cheaper than most Android Wear watches.
    A warning, though: I've kickstarted the Time 2, and while Pebble said they would be shipping in November months ago, I've yet to hear a single peep from them since. Delays happen and are understandable, but when they can't even be bothered to send out an email saying "Hey, sorry guys, some production issues have delayed this to February, our bad"...well, I shudder to think what their customer service must be like.

• Options
    Darlan wrote: »

A warning, though: I've kickstarted the Time 2, and while Pebble said they would be shipping in November months ago, I've yet to hear a single peep from them since. Delays happen and are understandable, but when they can't even be bothered to send out an email saying "Hey, sorry guys, some production issues have delayed this to February, our bad"...well, I shudder to think what their customer service must be like.

honestly, kickstarters, even from well known/reputable companies, never end well. I never kickstart something and expect to get it on time. I usually get them, but never once has it been on time.

Their products are solid and their support is good. I've emailed their support with questions/requests a number of times and always heard back. But in my opinion a product does not exist until it is something you can buy off of a shelf.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Yeah, if you're on Android you're going to want an Android Wear device.

I have the Huawei watch with my Nexus 6P and it is alright. Decent alternative to the 360v2 if you get a good price.

I just ordered the Huawei. Seems to be one of the best options out there in terms of price and features (very high marks in reviews as well). Amazon just had one with the leather band for ~240.00 on Prime, which was almost $90 less than the one with the stainless band. But you can order the stainless band for like 20 bucks. All told, I'm all in for $260.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »

honestly, kickstarters, even from well known/reputable companies, never end well. I never kickstart something and expect to get it on time. I usually get them, but never once has it been on time.

Their products are solid and their support is good. I've emailed their support with questions/requests a number of times and always heard back. But in my opinion a product does not exist until it is something you can buy off of a shelf.

Don't know if you folks saw that Pebble was acquired by Fitbit for their patents. Existing pebbles will probably stop receiving updates or support and the tech will be ported over to fitbit models.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Annnd.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/12/pebble-confirms-fitbit-sale-hardware-is-dead-software-in-maintenance-mode/

If you kickstarted a Pebble 2 and didn't get it, or a Time 2, Core, or Time Round, you'll not be receiving your watch and they'll refund you.

Considering that stuff should be shipping about now, that means they never requested the manufacturing on it to begin with. They must've been in harder financial straits than thought.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Probably going to get a Pixel XL when my contract is up and I'm thinking of getting a smartwatch to go with it.

Android Wear the way to go or...?

• Options
    Unless you desperately need one, I'd wait a generation to see what fitbit gets up to.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Probably going to get a Pixel XL when my contract is up and I'm thinking of getting a smartwatch to go with it.

if iPhone, apple watch.

if android, Adnroid wear

if Microsoft, those band things

Just use a brand-matched device.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Pebble just got bought by Fitbit, so Things are changing.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    If you're going to get an Apple Watch, my number one piece of advice is buy the watch only and no strap, then buy a third party strap from somewhere. They're indistinguishable from the official Apple ones and about 10% of the cost in some cases. I bought a ton, and my official Apple one is about the only one I never use.

• Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

if iPhone, apple watch.

if android, Adnroid wear

if Microsoft, those band things

Just use a brand-matched device.

Microsoft discontinued the Band a couple months back as well.

I'd almost look at the Samsung Gear Fit 2. It's supposed to be pretty good, though not traditional watch shaped.

I still really like my Pebble Time, and plan to continue wearing it for the forseeable future. Pebble frankly did some things that no other manufacturer was doing. Their fitness tracking, while simplistic, was brilliant in that it didn't tell you to hit an arbitrary number of steps, it measured your average activity on a day by day basis, and encouraged you to beat that average, and it was granular to days of the week, so it knows that Sundays are my least active day, and my average is lower, and shows me that accordingly. Things like that are actually innovative, and I really hope that's one of the things fitbit picks up and uses.

• Options
    I'm hoping they absorb Pebble's device manufacturing because if my replacement Charge HR has the same delaminating/bubble problem (which I'm expecting it will); I'm not buying another one of their devices.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    If you're going to get an Apple Watch, my number one piece of advice is buy the watch only and no strap, then buy a third party strap from somewhere. They're indistinguishable from the official Apple ones and about 10% of the cost in some cases. I bought a ton, and my official Apple one is about the only one I never use.

I use Apple's fitness band when working out because it came with my watch, but seriously every other band I own is 3rd party, and there are some fantastic companies doing neat stuff that apple would charge easily 5-10x more for.

di3wokiwikml.jpg

This beautiful stainless steel and ceramic band is 72 bucks.

Apple doesn't even make a ceramic band, and they make a ceramic watch.

Their stainless steel band costs damn near 500 bucks.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm hoping they absorb Pebble's device manufacturing because if my replacement Charge HR has the same delaminating/bubble problem (which I'm expecting it will); I'm not buying another one of their devices.

They are not. Pebble hardware support was completely cut off, to the point that device warranty will not be honored.

Fitbit buying Pebble was a bit of a misnomer. Essentially what happened was Pebble sold their IP/software to Fitbit and then folded the company. Fitbit also hired a few of the pebble devs, but most of the staff got canned.

• Options
    Well fuck.

• Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    So I just got my Huawei, and it's badass. Very slick looking too. I normally don't wear a watch, but I had a number of people remark upon it today before they even knew it was a smartwatch.
    8kzkdv28uv3h.jpg

Yall on