As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Submit to the Peace of Kyros! [Tyranny]

HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
Tyranny is a new CPRG by Obsidian Entertainment and it is terribly excellent! It is set in the new world of Terratus, specifically the region currently being embraced by the Peace of Kyros.

CW36x4q.jpg?1

Kyros is the Overlord of all that there is, and those who have not yet embraced their Peace will inevitably be brought to heel. To this end, two distinct factions serve Kyros on the front lines. The ironclad Disfavored, a disciplined phalanx-formed legion utterly devoted to the Archon of War, Graven Ashe.

ZuA8EzI.jpg?1

Graven Ashe is an old and battle-hardened general, as devoted to his troops as they are to him, and extends his protection across great spans of distance. Disfavored rise from greivous injury to fight for Kyros once again! This stands in stark contrast to the painfully mortal horde that is the Scarlet Chorus, lead by the Archon of Secrets, the utterly insane Voices of Nerat.

kkrIN5J.jpg

A multi-faceted gem of madness, treachery and sadism, the Archon of Secrets controls the Scarlet Chorus, a horde of lightly armoured skirmishers, berserkers and mages. The Scarlet Chorus spreads terror as it ravages its way across Terratus, swelling its ranks with conscripts and sellswords who are just as likely to desert as throw themselves on the spears of the enemy without fear.

You represent the Archon of Justice, Tunon the Adjudicator.

EmusJTW.png

As a Fatebinder, it is your duty to ensure the Peace of Kyros. How will you serve?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Thank you for beating me to this, as I would have spent way too much time trying to make the weird little lore tooltips pop up in my post.

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    I started this game last night and I like it a lot so far. Just got to the point (like 3-6 hours in spoilers)
    where I picked the Disfavored to attack first and the Voices threw a hissy fit and attacked. Goddammit why do all these faction heads just act like squabbling children?

I'm curious where it goes after this part is done. I'm assuming the entire game isn't spread out over a week, that would seem really short.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    So I spent pretty much all of yesterday playing this game. Made it through the first act and a bit of change. So far I'm really digging it, and will eventually be typing up some deep thoughts on how the story and the gameplay interact in a way that I find incredibly satisfactory, better than any other game of this sort.

But I haven't had my morning coffee yet, so that's gotta wait. For now, I'm gonna just share my power rankings:
    1. Verse - I'm a bit biased, because my starting character is pretty much an identical build to Verse - shortbow and dual daggers. Down to the fact that they even look kind of similar. But seriously, she's the best.
    2. Sirin - I haven't spent a ton of time with her yet, so she might drop in my rankings, but Sirin seems like a delight, even if she is kind of awful. I'm also really excited to see the chanter mechanics back from PoE, as my first character there was a chanter and I got really into that stuff.
    3. Lantry - This might be one of the first wizard types in a video game that I didn't instantly hate. And I mean, I've been leveling him in his Sage and Quill trees, so he's got a bit less wizard in him that normal, but I dig his aesthetic and the sage thing works way better than I'd expect.
    4. Barik - For an insufferable paladin, he's not bad. He disagrees with my main character a ton and can be a bit of a stick in the mud, but his banter doesn't make me want to instantly kick him out of the party, which is nice, especially since he's the only real tank and I pretty much need him with my sneaky archer team because this game doesn't let you stay in stealth before starting half the fights.
    5. Kills-In-Shadow - I quit the game right after meeting her last night, so I don't have a lot of feelings. She seems like she'll be fun, but probably in a trying too hard sort of way. I'll switch her in at some point, but the four person party limit is making it hard to try out new characters.
    6. Eb - I haven't actually done anything with her, I just know that I hate her more than anything. She showed up and I just knew it. Also she has that weird fantasy videogame thing where she has white hair but a smooth, unblemished face and it weirds me out.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I couldn't really get into PoE because the story didn't really engage me.

But I think the premise of this one sounds really good.

Do you think it might grab me more?

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    I lost my weekend to this game in a big way.

If you enable Gibs in the options, when an enemy is crit to death they explode.

I cast False Pit, an illusion spell, on an enemy at low health. It crit.

He believed he was falling in to a pit so thoroughly he exploded.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

So far, yes, I think the story is, if not necessarily better, more actively engaging than Pillars was. And I think mechanically speaking, the story supports the gameplay of this style of game more than any other one has before, which is definitely helpful. A lot of the system is still very similar to Pillars, which I don't think is a bad thing, but your mileage may vary.

Have you enjoyed other games of this style? Your Gates Baldur, your Dales Icewind, your Scapes Plane?

• Options
    Kills-in-Shadow I can definitely see irritating people but I am fundamentally incapable of not utilizing the huge monsterish characters in RPGs so she's in for the long haul

Luckily she seems pretty good at ripping shit up

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »

So far, yes, I think the story is, if not necessarily better, more actively engaging than Pillars was. And I think mechanically speaking, the story supports the gameplay of this style of game more than any other one has before, which is definitely helpful. A lot of the system is still very similar to Pillars, which I don't think is a bad thing, but your mileage may vary.

Have you enjoyed other games of this style? Your Gates Baldur, your Dales Icewind, your Scapes Plane?

Hrm, I found a lot of those hard to get far into.

Particularly Baulder's Gate and Icewind Dale. Because I felt with how weak you start that quicksave abuse was the only way to make it any distance into the game which is a pet peeve of mine. (same with fallout 1 and 2)

I never got planescape to run good on my PC as I never played any of them back in the day. But it did seem to have a much more engaging storyline than the other two which bummed me out that it kept crashing.

I very much enjoyed Neverwinter Nights though.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Kills-in-Shadow I can definitely see irritating people but I am fundamentally incapable of not utilizing the huge monsterish characters in RPGs so she's in for the long haul

Luckily she seems pretty good at ripping shit up

I haven't even taken a good look at her - what is her skill setup like? Is she more comparable to Barik or to dual wielding Verse?

Because Verse is probably never leaving my party, and my main character is very similar to Verse, so another rogue type, as her name implies, seems like it would be a bad idea at this point

• Options
    Her two trees seem like "tankish damage dealer" and "stealth skill tree that I don't understand"

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    right, so which Edict did you have your Fatebinder cast

I went with the Edict of Fire

also
    I'm guessing more people will go with the Disfavoured their first time, but I am dying to know what the deal is with the Voices of Narat - what were his original intentions when he made the Chorus, what's he hoping to gain, etc. so far all I get from him is indecipherable chaotic evil with no rhyme or reason

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    I did Edict of Fire as well (although I went through Conquest four separate times before actually making the character I wanted to play the game with, because I have a real character creation problem).

I also killed the Queen when we took Apex, so people I talk to can't choose whether they wanted to call me Firestarter or Queenslayer.

• Options
    Edict of Storms for me, sorry Barik ol buddy...

I hate the Chorus but I find The Voices to be a ton of fun, I love how he
    talks to you in a semi-hidden fashion during conversations, when I moused over the green tooltip related to his sceptre-twirling for the first time I grinned ear to ear

• Options
    What are the epithets people use when you go with the other edicts?

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I thought Tube wanted a break from threads about the US Election?

• Options
    Her two trees seem like "tankish damage dealer" and "stealth skill tree that I don't understand"

I might be able to use her as a replacement for Barik then. Set up a whole stealth squad with her, Verse, and Lantry (whose stealth attack ability is insanely good).

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The spell creation system in this is pretty great, and everything just being a skill that has its own individual cooldown means that i'll actually use them instead of keeping the best ones in reserve just in case.

• Options
    Yeah I'm actually really interested in the magic system

I might like, play a magic user in one of my future runs

I do not know the last time I played a traditional magic user in a video game where I was allowed to be literally anything else

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i need to finish Pillars of Eternity still :(

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    this game is like

hey man

do you want to be presented with difficult moral questions for which there are no good answers or satisfying outcomes, like, constantly

if so then boy howdy

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Yeah I'm actually really interested in the magic system

I might like, play a magic user in one of my future runs

I do not know the last time I played a traditional magic user in a video game where I was allowed to be literally anything else

I played through the game on hard, and my pure mage definitely followed an exponential power curve.

I think I stopped using consumables entirely around Act 2? I could just lock everything down, or nuke it to bits, or one and then the other.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I have an incredible crush on Verse

you know, despite the general cruelty and bloodlust

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Her combat barks are outstanding.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I'm playing a sneaky archer who's backing the Chorus, for now. I'm a bit into Act 2.

My character has a couple of different motives for backing them. First off, they're very easy to take advantage of. Play by their couple of rules, and you can get them to do basically whatever you want. For someone as cold and calculating as my gal, that's very appealing. Second, she admires how the Chorus doesn't try to gussy up what conquest is. She likes their honesty. The Disfavored dress everything up in honor and duty, but they're still killing just as many innocent civilians - significantly more, in a lot of cases. It's cruel, and more importantly to my character, it's inefficient. Raze all the cities and there's nobody left to rule. Better to fold them into your teeming hordes.

End of Act One spoilers:
    Plus, Graven Ashe throwing a big hissy about not being in the vanguard and attacking the Chorus just goes to show how he's exactly as petty and small as he claims Voices to be. He's a big ol' chump.

Start of Act Two spoiler:
    Voices has just given me a quest that would have me act against Tunon. Still not sure how I'll handle that, when I get to it - my character thinks the Chorus is useful, but I don't see herself putting her own job/fate on the line for their sake. She prefers the Chorus over the Disfavored, but she's hardly loyal to them.

Really digging that the game is making me think of my character's relationships to the world like that. The game is very, very good about setting the table, asking you some complicated questions, and letting you find your own answers.

And the world they're building is so, so much cooler than, say, PoE. I liked PoE plenty, but the worldbuilding felt a little... Abstract. Philosophical at the expense of character or personal stakes. This one, right away, feels a lot more grounded. It's a bottom-up approach to building the world, instead of the top-down, exposition crush of PoE.

I also think the combat is much improved, but that might just be that my sneaky character has more utility than a similar build did in PoE. I played a rogue in that one, and felt just perpetually useless. The powers at my disposal here, especially with the very cool combo systems, are a lot more engaging.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    Okay, so, part of the reason I think this game works really well is because, for possibly the first time ever, the story fits the way that people typically play these sort of games. Essentially, being evil works because we've all been evil all along. Or at least this game's form of evil (late Roman Empire is a rock solid comparison, on a number of levels).

So let's start off. This is a game made for people who have played these games before. I mean, it has to be - this is not the dominant paradigm in RPGs anymore (if it ever was), and will almost certainly never be that again. The system is kind of weird and clunky, the graphics are probably not that great, much of the game is hidden in weird lore posts, it's not designed for people who are not willing to dive into it wholeheartedly, and quite frankly, most of those people are people who have played this sort of game before. And that's fine - it's a niche audience, but it's a niche audience who is very willing to engage with you, so make some games for 'em.

Under the assumption that we've all played this sort of game before, let's discuss a totally different one. It doesn't really matter which one. Here's what you do in it:
    On a Dungeon Map
    • Hunt down and kill every creature that lives here
    • Painstakingly search for traps and hidden objects
    • Maybe solve a puzzle or two
    • Loot every body, even if you don't really need that stuff or the money that will be gained from selling it
    On a City Map
    • Talk to everyone, in case they have a problem in which you, a total fucking stranger, are the only person who can help them
    • Search every single barrel, box, and wardrobe for treasure, even if it is technically stealing
    • Complete quests and try to get everyone to like you, even if they're at each other's throat all of the time
    You might be objecting that maybe you don't do all that, but you definitely have, right? Maybe it was only in your first play of one of these games, or maybe only in certain playthroughs, but it's pretty much baked into the design of these games that you're going to do that. And for some of these things, that's fine - solving puzzles and killing things is a core part of a lot of videogames. But some of these things just don't make sense. You're in a rush to solve a problem, and you're still going to talk to every single person and solve their shitty little goblin infestation, even though you're the son of the God of Murder and everyone hates and distrusts you? You're a fundamentally good person, but you're going to walk into a peasant's shitty little hovel and grab their family heirloom sword because you don't get a better one until you kill a dragon? You're going to disrespect the dead by taking all of their clothes and selling them to a fence that lives in the sewers, despite allegedly being a man of god?

And some games will try to dissuade you from doing these things. Time limits to prevent excessive sidequests, or maybe someone gets mad at you because they see you stealing things, or you have to choose a faction that will prevent you from taking sidequests. And every time games do this, people try to find a way around it. You do your quests in just the right order and you can complete them all, even though they're from different factions, or you take an invisibility potion right as you enter the building and it won't wear off for twenty seconds so as long as your rogue has downed a potion of master thievery as well you should be able to pick the lock and get out before anyone notices. These are all bullshit hypothetical things I'm making up off the top of my head, but they all sound kind of familiar, don't they?

Tyranny fixes all of this, more or less. Tyranny justifies your worst behavior, because you're a bad guy. You don't have to be evil, of course, you can just be a dedicated civil servant, but there's definitely nothing wrong with walking into a subjugated town and taking whatever you want from the peasants. Playing the factions off of one another is encouraged, both because you need both of them, to some extent, and because, at the end of the day, they're both jerks and they deserve each other. Your first companion, when/if you choose to loot one of the first dead bodies in the game, will congratulate you on your pragmatism for taking all of their shit. And, my favorite part of this, you have a reason to talk to everyone.

By making the main character a traveling judge figure, you have a reason to get involved in every shitty little petty dispute, even if your solution is to hang 'em both. Everyone wants to talk to you, even though you're a mysterious stranger, and everyone has a reason to give you their quests. You're not the only one who can help them, but you're the only one who can do it legally, and under the harsh rule of Kyros, that's an absolute necessity for many people.

• Options
    Ah, Pooro, it's good to see that we made the exact same character

Sometimes I wonder, man

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I just restarted PoE. I only got 7 hours into my first playthrough that I started...several months ago? So I figured, hey, I'll do it again with a slightly different character who has stats more in line with the dialogue options I want to unlock. Playing on Story Time because I'm traditionally not too great at the combat in CRPGs (and also there's so much game here that I don't want to spend an hour on a tough combat).

Made a noble Pale Elf cipher with high Might, Dex and Intelligence.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I don't know if I can keep rolling with Barik just because he kind of puts a hard cap on how well I can be doing, you know? Like no matter how many victories I achieve or how much glory is accrued, the guy standing next to me still smells like how you'd imagine Leatherface must smell, just blood and piss and sweat and poop to the highest possible degree

• Options
    I don't know if I can keep rolling with Barik just because he kind of puts a hard cap on how well I can be doing, you know? Like no matter how many victories I achieve or how much glory is accrued, the guy standing next to me still smells like how you'd imagine Leatherface must smell, just blood and piss and sweat and poop to the highest possible degree

Yeah, in a game with a monstrous hyena person and a woman who is jilling off with the blood of her enemies it is kind of impressive that there's still someone who smells worse

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    And the world they're building is so, so much cooler than, say, PoE. I liked PoE plenty, but the worldbuilding felt a little... Abstract. Philosophical at the expense of character or personal stakes. This one, right away, feels a lot more grounded. It's a bottom-up approach to building the world, instead of the top-down, exposition crush of PoE.

I felt with PoE they built the world but didn't really populate it, or finish populating it anyway.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

I felt with PoE they built the world but didn't really populate it, or finish populating it anyway.

yeah, exactly! there's so much going on there and you can tell that it's a very active place but it also just wound up feeling empty

• Options

The dumb Kickstarter backer characters added to this a bit, I think - there were people everywhere, but only a fraction of them were "important." It was a clever thing, of course, using the main character's special ability to be able to view someone's fanfiction, but I warrant most of us only did it a couple of times before we learned better.

In hindsight, Pillars feels a lot like a stepping stone game, from BG2 to Tyranny.

The system is different from D&D, but still beholden to its thematic constructs, as is the entire world, for the most part. There are a number of things that are done differently, but at the end of the day, it still kind of just feels like someone's homebrew campaign setting. Which is fine, honestly, and is certainly an easier sell, especially if you need to build some confidence in your ability to make these sort of games (I think Obsidian has a good enough pedigree for this sort of thing, but others may disagree).

But now we're in something that, while still a fantasy game, doesn't really feel like a D&D based thing anymore. There are no elves or dwarves, magic functions totally differently, the whole class structure has been dissolved, the entire aesthetic is very Romanesque rather than medieval. And, like I said, Pillars was still a stepping stone, and there's a lot of Pillars in this game. Sirin functions real similar to Chanters, status effects are just as fucking ruinous, and even the use of the primary mechanic to justify conversations with people is back (in this it's Judgement as opposed to reading fanfiction, but it's definitely an idea that makes sense as a descendant).

• Options
    Pillars definitely feels like Obsidian figuring out the ins and outs of Unity-as-Infinity, incorporating feedback, and iterating on their processes and products.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    so I just finished it
    isn't there anyway to stay loyal to Kyros in the end? might be kinda weird but I don't want to go rogue on him, I played the whole game being true to her cause and I want the ending to reflect that

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    so I just finished it
    isn't there anyway to stay loyal to Kyros in the end? might be kinda weird but I don't want to go rogue on him, I played the whole game being true to her cause and I want the ending to reflect that

Ending talk
    No.

I think the idea is, by that point in time you represent a legitimate threat to their rule. You're a symbol now, doing things that were previously solely their domain that literally no one else understood.

Did you write to the veteran retired Fatebinder? She often tells you to think more like an Overlord. Part of Kyros' peace is the snuffing out of any possible challenger before they begin, and rewriting history so they never existed. There was a person camped out under a Spire, with a shrine to Kyros who said that Kyros used to live in this village in -50. The person was summarily executed, instead of merely having their tongue removed for blasphemy.

There was and is an conscious effort to destroy the knowledge of how Kyros came to power, learned to cast Edicts, and the like. Edicts seem to tie back to Spires, and you've mastered as many as five, and there's only ten little slots to light up at the top of any of the Spires.

By the end, you've killed or subjugated a few archons, going from a battlejudge to proof positive that Kyros is not unique. One of the characters specifies that when Kyros states "one Archon will rule the tiers, and you're an Archon now" is explicitly not an Edict. I think that's because they're already afraid of feeding you any more of them.

• Options
    shame

I was really looking forward to bending the knee and being declared the Archon of Fates

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    is this game rife with gallows humor? I'm pretty much 99% of the way there but gallows humor would put me at 125% in the cold arms of our eternal overlord, Kyros

Vladimer on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    man I feel like a dummy buying something 11 days before black friday

but I really like crpgs

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Vladimer wrote: »
    is this game rife with gallows humor? I'm pretty much 99% of the way there but gallows humor would put me at 125% in the cold arms of our eternal overlord, Kyros

Let me tell you about your first party member, Verse.

(yes)

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    Vladimer wrote: »

Let me tell you about your first party member, Verse.

(yes)

hail Kyros