As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Submit to the Peace of Kyros! [Tyranny]

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I'm playing a sneaky archer who's backing the Chorus, for now. I'm a bit into Act 2.

My character has a couple of different motives for backing them. First off, they're very easy to take advantage of. Play by their couple of rules, and you can get them to do basically whatever you want. For someone as cold and calculating as my gal, that's very appealing. Second, she admires how the Chorus doesn't try to gussy up what conquest is. She likes their honesty. The Disfavored dress everything up in honor and duty, but they're still killing just as many innocent civilians - significantly more, in a lot of cases. It's cruel, and more importantly to my character, it's inefficient. Raze all the cities and there's nobody left to rule. Better to fold them into your teeming hordes.

End of Act One spoilers:
    Plus, Graven Ashe throwing a big hissy about not being in the vanguard and attacking the Chorus just goes to show how he's exactly as petty and small as he claims Voices to be. He's a big ol' chump.

Start of Act Two spoiler:
    Voices has just given me a quest that would have me act against Tunon. Still not sure how I'll handle that, when I get to it - my character thinks the Chorus is useful, but I don't see herself putting her own job/fate on the line for their sake. She prefers the Chorus over the Disfavored, but she's hardly loyal to them.

Really digging that the game is making me think of my character's relationships to the world like that. The game is very, very good about setting the table, asking you some complicated questions, and letting you find your own answers.

And the world they're building is so, so much cooler than, say, PoE. I liked PoE plenty, but the worldbuilding felt a little... Abstract. Philosophical at the expense of character or personal stakes. This one, right away, feels a lot more grounded. It's a bottom-up approach to building the world, instead of the top-down, exposition crush of PoE.

I also think the combat is much improved, but that might just be that my sneaky character has more utility than a similar build did in PoE. I played a rogue in that one, and felt just perpetually useless. The powers at my disposal here, especially with the very cool combo systems, are a lot more engaging.

I seem to have gone a similar route, was your Subterfuge/Lore high enough to do the extra bonus part in act 1?
    When Barik gets super pissed and wants to kill you and goes to leave, there is a Subterfuge/Lore option to force him to stay in your party, he is NOT happy at all about it and it's kinda great.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I'm playing a sneaky archer who's backing the Chorus, for now. I'm a bit into Act 2.

My character has a couple of different motives for backing them. First off, they're very easy to take advantage of. Play by their couple of rules, and you can get them to do basically whatever you want. For someone as cold and calculating as my gal, that's very appealing. Second, she admires how the Chorus doesn't try to gussy up what conquest is. She likes their honesty. The Disfavored dress everything up in honor and duty, but they're still killing just as many innocent civilians - significantly more, in a lot of cases. It's cruel, and more importantly to my character, it's inefficient. Raze all the cities and there's nobody left to rule. Better to fold them into your teeming hordes.

End of Act One spoilers:
    Plus, Graven Ashe throwing a big hissy about not being in the vanguard and attacking the Chorus just goes to show how he's exactly as petty and small as he claims Voices to be. He's a big ol' chump.

Start of Act Two spoiler:
    Voices has just given me a quest that would have me act against Tunon. Still not sure how I'll handle that, when I get to it - my character thinks the Chorus is useful, but I don't see herself putting her own job/fate on the line for their sake. She prefers the Chorus over the Disfavored, but she's hardly loyal to them.

Really digging that the game is making me think of my character's relationships to the world like that. The game is very, very good about setting the table, asking you some complicated questions, and letting you find your own answers.

And the world they're building is so, so much cooler than, say, PoE. I liked PoE plenty, but the worldbuilding felt a little... Abstract. Philosophical at the expense of character or personal stakes. This one, right away, feels a lot more grounded. It's a bottom-up approach to building the world, instead of the top-down, exposition crush of PoE.

I also think the combat is much improved, but that might just be that my sneaky character has more utility than a similar build did in PoE. I played a rogue in that one, and felt just perpetually useless. The powers at my disposal here, especially with the very cool combo systems, are a lot more engaging.

I seem to have gone a similar route, was your Subterfuge/Lore high enough to do the extra bonus part in act 1?
    When Barik gets super pissed and wants to kill you and goes to leave, there is a Subterfuge/Lore option to force him to stay in your party, he is NOT happy at all about it and it's kinda great.

Hell yeah I did that shit. The hell I'm letting my tank go.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yup, did the same thing myself.
    I'm really interested in where the shared Barik/Verse backstory is going to go, which is a big part of my keeping him around.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    People who have played more of this than I have

Tell me about breaking alliances

I'm in Act II, and I've had the opportunity a couple of times now, in conversation, to say something that would break my alliance with the Scarlet Chorus

Quite frankly, I expect to end up doing it at some point or another, but I'm trying to figure out when it's going to be most beneficial to me

So uh, keeping spoilers to a minimum, how much is breaking my initial alliance going to fuck me over? Are alliances capable of being reforged? If I break my alliance with the Chorus, could I start up one with the Disfavored instead, or do I have to play as a lone entity for the rest of the game?

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I haven't broken any alliances

instead, I merely bided my time until I could strike without reprisal

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Dubh wrote: »
    I haven't broken any alliances

instead, I merely bided my time until I could strike without reprisal

I am intentionally punting on a particular quest until I'm pretty sure I can get away with what I want to do in it

• Options
    I'm at the Burning Library now, as the one who set it aflame, and the Censor just told me that he's planning on destroying all of the knowledge of the Silent Archive and I just got a bit angry, just a bit, that the Chorus would try to take that away from me in such a way. I don't care about the knowledge, mind you, and I may destroy it myself if I uncover it, but it should be mine to destroy.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    so I'm trying Path of the Damned difficulty

and, boy, it sure is hard
    but not in a way where I feel like I'm getting screwed by luck

helps that my character can do some beastly damage with throwing

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    So I've put... oh god, 36 hours into this game already. Beat it once on normal and I'm about halfway through a second game. Tragically my first game glitched so I haven't actually seen the REAL ENDING but I've completed all the act 3 content and people talking about the ending have confirmed that I did everything, so yay.

This game is good. It's very reactive, but you're still going to be seeing a lot of the same content no matter what you do. It is, however, going to be colored in drastically different lights and the NPCs you encounter will respond to you very differently.

Tips:
    Artifacts equipped on alternate weapon sets still gain renown and can still use their abilities regardless of which weapon set you're using.

If you stealth your party, then unstealth your tanks, your casters don't get immediately targeted by enemies.

The Disfavored are weak to fire. Seriously don't forget this it's very important if you're fighting them.

Consumables/quickslot items are a huge swing in your favor, don't ignore them. Using them doesn't take an action or trigger your recovery time.

Pump Lore on your PC, you need it to learn new magic skills from scrolls.

Use the per-encounter combo abilities, they're mostly great. (Kills-In-Shadows has the best opener ability, when I ran with her I used it basically every fight to launch my melee PC and her into the middle of the enemy for max engagement)

Use your Reputation abilities, most of them are cooldown, not per encounter or per rest.

Save your per-rest abilities for shit like Havocs and named enemies or fights against 6+ enemies, they will turn the tide drastically in your favor if you use them well.

There's an option in the menus if you want to know what reputation changes you'll get from conversation choices but let's be honest that shit should be obvious.

Spoilers for Stalwart/The Blade Grave
    I didn't kill the baby.
    I made Sirin kill the baby.
    I'm the worst fucking monster holy shiiiiiit.

• Options
    the game locked me out of the blade grave near the end

so, uh, I'm incredibly curious about that area

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Straightzi wrote: »
    People who have played more of this than I have

Tell me about breaking alliances

I'm in Act II, and I've had the opportunity a couple of times now, in conversation, to say something that would break my alliance with the Scarlet Chorus

Quite frankly, I expect to end up doing it at some point or another, but I'm trying to figure out when it's going to be most beneficial to me

So uh, keeping spoilers to a minimum, how much is breaking my initial alliance going to fuck me over? Are alliances capable of being reforged? If I break my alliance with the Chorus, could I start up one with the Disfavored instead, or do I have to play as a lone entity for the rest of the game?
    Lone entity for the rest of the game. On the plus side you do get to visit every region that way.

Right now the path I'm on seems to only let you visit two regions, which is a shame. Major spoilers-
    I've formed a rebel coalition and it doesn't allow you to have every faction : /
    However it does net you hella worldbuilding-
    for example, a throwaway line implies that the builders of the Oldwalls might be able to travel to distant dimensions, and a potential reply to Bheden Mark lets you know that he gets a kick out of torturing children

Captain Marcus on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I never got to the burning library in my disfavored playthrough and as a result lost access to the last twi towers

Going to go chorus/anarchist now and apex/azure in my conquest, dying to know what are the options re: cairn and the library

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    So, super duper spoilers/speculation you probably only want to read if you finished the game
    I think Kyros is you. Not in a Revan sense, but rather that you're another Kyros. The thing about the Oldwalls possibly leading to other dimensions is only pushing me more into that direction.

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    the game locked me out of the blade grave near the end

so, uh, I'm incredibly curious about that area

Oh jeez the Blade Grave might be my favorite area. There's a lot going on and all the characters involved are great.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    This game looks kind of amazing should I buy it?

Y/N

and why?

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Double post bonus round, who is the best ally or should I murder them all in their sleep?

sarukun on
  • Options
    Is it just me or in the little Sun/Moon timer box at the top, is that
    The Death Star?

• Options
    Yup, did the same thing myself.
    I'm really interested in where the shared Barik/Verse backstory is going to go, which is a big part of my keeping him around.

Hah just hit a big one in your spoiler
    They are bastard siblings hahahah.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    There's a hardline choice at the middle of act 1, right? I chose the Chorus and the other guys reacted more negatively than I expected. But it seems like the 'both' option won't work? I'm going to go back I think.

• Options
    captaink wrote: »
    There's a hardline choice at the middle of act 1, right? I chose the Chorus and the other guys reacted more negatively than I expected. But it seems like the 'both' option won't work? I'm going to go back I think.

The worldstate is the same regardless of which you choose, but your position in said world (like the quests/people you have access to) differs based on the choice

• Options

The both option just makes them both angry for trying to appease them in such a weak willed way

It's a choice you have to make, and you can't really properly go back on it once you've made it (although you do not have to remain allied with the group you choose)

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular

The both option just makes them both angry for trying to appease them in such a weak willed way

It's a choice you have to make, and you can't really properly go back on it once you've made it (although you do not have to remain allied with the group you choose)

I'm pretty sure my next playthrough is going to be a "pox on both your houses" thing. I wonder if you can do that without also being all "fuck Kyros".

• Options
    QuirkyLittleTyrantQuirkyLittleTyrant A Mug Featuring Pichu On A Cloud Registered User regular
    Are there smooches in this game?

I would enjoy evil smooching, but I am fine with just being mega evil sans smooches.

PSN ID: Khrysocome
    Steam: ZappRowsdower
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Are there smooches in this game?

I would enjoy evil smooching, but I am fine with just being mega evil sans smooches.

There's no like, dedicated romance stuff

But most of your companions will want to talk about fuckin'

Minor conversation spoiler for Kills-In-Shadow
    When I realized what she was talking about with Rut-Mate-Slaughter I burst out laughing

I don't see the appeal of Eb myself, but the woman likes what she likes, apparently

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Kills-In-Shadow is great. Beast people in general are fantastic.

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    I'm currently running with her and Verse and Sirin as a sort of female furies team.

I imagine enemies hear someone start singing and have that moment in which they realize what's about to happen and turn around quickly to try to figure out where it's coming from before Kills-In-Shadows lands on them and rips them to shreds.

One thing I'm annoyed by in the game so far is that the combo abilities seem to be frequently melee focused, which kind of sucks when you're playing an archer. It's the only reason that I wish there was a class system (which I normally kind of hate) - at least then it could be somewhat accurate to what my general party role is with my main character. It sucks to constantly be running up into the fray to pull off a combo and then have to jab an arrow into someone's foot to run away and disengage.

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    So I picked this up last night, and I felt pretty invested with everything just in the Conquest

I haven't even left the first screen yet, but after going through some of the dialogue with Verse I'm already a big fan of this game. From what y'alls are saying this can only go up from here. I'm excited.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    so I decided my fatebinder on this chorus/anarchist playthrough is going to be a DPS machine, with one handed sword and no shield and the talents that use that build to boost accuracy, light armor specialization and quick and dirty close range spells that do stupid damage

as a character I'm playing him as "Kyros' justice above Kyros' law", meaning "fuck all these petty children playing war, I'm the only one who can set this right"

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    So for someone who hasn't played an isometric turn-based RPG since Baldur's Gate 2, and recently tried desperately to jump back into the Enhanced Edition, but couldn't connect with it at all

how would this game hold up?

• Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    So for someone who hasn't played an isometric turn-based RPG since Baldur's Gate 2, and recently tried desperately to jump back into the Enhanced Edition, but couldn't connect with it at all

how would this game hold up?

Likely quite well. As I wrote about previously, it's definitely designed for people who have played these sort of games before, but it's way smoother than like, trying to go back to Baldur's Gate. Because as much as I love those games, they've got a bunch of issues, including using an absolutely labyrinthine version of second edition D&D rules as their basis. Obsidian has definitely learned from the mistakes of the Baldur's Gate games (and now from a few of their mistakes in Pillars of Eternity, which was much more similar to BG than Tyranny is) and the game feels like a slick and polished version of the Baldur's Gate that you remember as a result.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    For what it's worth I've never been able to get into a CPRG except Fallout way back when I had the infinite patience of a child, but I'm loving Tyranny to death despite not knowing what the fuck I'm doing

Speaking of I don't spose anyone found some sort of respec option cause uhhhhhhhhh my shit is fucked up

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    This game has me downright giddy with the thought of replaying it, even though I'm only a little bit into Act II

Already I'm planning a character vaguely based on the Black Pharaoh incarnation of Nyarlathotep, although he seems like he'd fit way better into the Scarlet Chorus, so I'm also trying to come up with some good Disfavored types (without just resorting to sexy gladiator, as tempting as it is)

I know in my heart that these factions are probably equally likeable, on average, but I have a much harder time with the Disfavored

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I went hard Disfavored just because militarily I'm going quality over quantity every time, I'm definitely looking forward to a subsequent play through where I tell everyone to go screw ASAP though

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    For what it's worth I've never been able to get into a CPRG except Fallout way back when I had the infinite patience of a child, but I'm loving Tyranny to death despite not knowing what the fuck I'm doing

Speaking of I don't spose anyone found some sort of respec option cause uhhhhhhhhh my shit is fucked up

There's nothing official, but apparently the save files can be edited and are in relatively plain text.

• Options
    TAKING ON BOTH THE DISFAVORED AND THE CHORUS FUCKING RULES YA'LL

EVERYONE HATES ME

FUCKING, BRING IT

I GOT A SPIRE

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    I've seen the console commands floating around too, if you want to reset your skill/ability levels

I don't think I saw anything for changing which abilities you chose, which is a shame, as I'd probably be interested in doing so myself (hobble has felt like a useful pick to me exactly once so far, and I took it at character creation)

• Options
    I'm currently running with her and Verse and Sirin as a sort of female furies team.

I imagine enemies hear someone start singing and have that moment in which they realize what's about to happen and turn around quickly to try to figure out where it's coming from before Kills-In-Shadows lands on them and rips them to shreds.

One thing I'm annoyed by in the game so far is that the combo abilities seem to be frequently melee focused, which kind of sucks when you're playing an archer. It's the only reason that I wish there was a class system (which I normally kind of hate) - at least then it could be somewhat accurate to what my general party role is with my main character. It sucks to constantly be running up into the fray to pull off a combo and then have to jab an arrow into someone's foot to run away and disengage.

Fear/Favor/Wrath will add combo abilities once you get them high enough, and soon more ranged ones will show up.

Verse gets a sweet one where you
    launch her into the air to rain arrows down on someone's face

• Options
    omg

being a corrupt as fuck fatebinder is pretty great

I had a goddamn iron ring AFTER buying a unique javelin AND all the spell scrolls

moneymoneymoney

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited November 2016

Fear/Favor/Wrath will add combo abilities once you get them high enough, and soon more ranged ones will show up.

Verse gets a sweet one where you
    launch her into the air to rain arrows down on someone's face

I have that one already.

It requires my archer to stand next to my frontline fighter to activate, so it doesn't actually alleviate my problem. Plus it's a daily, which means I'll probably never actually use it.

Just looking at the basic combo abilities though, here's what I've seen:

Verse: Requires me to be in melee (next to Verse).
    Barik: Ranged, so long as you're at least somewhat close to Barik.
    Lantry: Ranged, and Lantry is generally also at range too.
    Kills-In-Shadows: Teleports me into melee.
    Sirin: AoE centers on me, so I should be in melee.

Now admittedly, all of the combo abilities are pretty strong, and can either kill or forcibly disengage enemies that they're targeting, but they also frequently take long enough to activate that multiple people might engage with you in that time.

And the worst part of this is, I'm not playing a shrinking violet of a character - my secondary weapon set is dual wielding (for stealth tree reasons), and while I've focused on archery, I can still hold my own in combat if I get accidentally dragged into it. I feel like a dedicated mage could be in real shit using the combos though, and that kind of sucks.
    omg

being a corrupt as fuck fatebinder is pretty great

I had a goddamn iron ring AFTER buying a unique javelin AND all the spell scrolls

moneymoneymoney

Yeah I've been playing it pretty corrupt myself. Gotta live up to that Lawbreaker background, y'know?

I love that you can accept bribes and still rule against the party that paid you the bribe. It's mean and petty and delightful.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my secondary weapon slot with my throwing build. Probably an artifact, just for the special ability.

Miss me? Find me on: