As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    @Mayday you're making me want to start a chaos army
    I AM the Dark Apostle.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Cw607I9VIAA-3Wp.jpg
    My first piece of 3d printed terrain! I designed it and my friend printed it out.
    I started with a small tomb thing, but now i know it works i'll try my hand at something bigger.

Has anyone painted 3d prints before? Do i need to do anything special to clean it up, or can i just prime it and go?

You can prime and go, depending on the quality of the print and how well you want it to look. If you can see individual horizontal layers like mine, you can't really even do a washwithout ruining the whole paint job. If its large enough, I recomend sandpaper before priming to smooth the surface out.

edit: I can see the layers now that Itake a closer look, so yeah sandpaper it smooth before priming. I'llsee if I can find an example of not sandpapering, I know I have a model around here somewhere I did a test on.

second edit: Here is a test print for some terrain and then test paint without sanding, and brush on white primer on red material.(I slapped paint on it dont judge me!) Fine for throwing on a tabletop if we need to, but if I had enough nicer looking terrain I'd chuck it in a heartbeat.
    mQ4706x.jpg?2

3rd edit: did you design the 3d model? what did you use? I am trying to learn openscad to make a display for my skaven army, but it's totally one of those things of "pretty good learning curve that makes you question if you want to put in the time for 1-3 things you would like to print"

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
    Hey @Mago that Galleon looks amazing! Hard to believe that paintjob is over a few older layers of paint - everything looks sharp. Did you spend a lot of time fixing the wash or did you just apply and wait it out?

• MagoMago SwedenRegistered User regular
    Thank you @Mayday I appreciate that.

Generally I try to be quick when applying the wash, to prevent it drying before I have covered the whole model or area I'm working on. Once it's all covered I try to look it over one more time to make sure I did not miss a spot and to remove any excessive pooling. I then wait perhaps a minute or so and go back and check for pooling again. I don't think 2 checks with a minute in between is "a lot", but I guess I do more than just apply and let it dry.

Trying to paint stuff since 1995.
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Thanks for the advice guys! I'll attack it with some sandpaper before i paint it.
    I designed it, yeah. I used Sketchup. Not too complicated and loads of video tutorials all over youtube.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Ahh, I couldn't get anything in sketchup to export to gcode/to the special flavor of the maker select software. Man I feel like I could make it in 10 minutes in sketchup though, I guess I need to look at that again...

steam_sig.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Just to double check before I place the order, this is what people are referring to when they talk about Testors Dullcote, right?

https://www.amazon.com/Testors-Aerosol-Spray-Lacquer-Paint/dp/B009FF6DN4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479080557&sr=8-1

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    So, I've just had a varnishing mishap I think. The gloss varnish spray seems to have dissolved some (a very specific set) of the paint on the model allowing the colours underneath to come through where they didn't previously. It was a cape, VMA Base Grey -> GW Asurmen Blue wash -> VMA Aged White -> VMA White. It looked alright before, but now all the blue wash and Base Grey on the cape has vanished, leaving the underlying metallic red to show through.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
    Ahh, I couldn't get anything in sketchup to export to gcode/to the special flavor of the maker select software. Man I feel like I could make it in 10 minutes in sketchup though, I guess I need to look at that again...

I spent ages trying to figure that one out as well, and then i discovered a nice simple add on. STL Import and Export, or something like that. I'd also recommend Solid Inspector add on. Seems to get things print ready pretty painlessly!

Anyone got any ideas how I can fix this now that it's varnished? I've got no idea what happened, it was coloured fine before I varnished it, but now it looks like this.
    l6g3595w6nlo.jpg

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    The photo is pretty terrible, is it frosted?

• MagoMago SwedenRegistered User regular
    Wow. That's super weird. What varnish did you use?

Trying to paint stuff since 1995.
    J wrote: »
    The photo is pretty terrible, is it frosted?

No. The cloak was white, but the varnish seems to have dissolved the paint, but only some of the paint, and now the metallic red base is showing through. The other models I varnished have the same problem, albeit less obvious because they don't have any white and it doesn't seem to have happened to the same extent. It's a Mr. Hobby gloss topcoat, which I've never had problems like this with before.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Did you use an acrylic varnish? How long did you allow the layered paint to dry? What type of paint was the metallic red?

If you use an acrylic varnish and the paint hadn't had long to dry, it could have re-wetted it.
    If you use a lacquer varnish it's possible that it ate up the acrylics. The rule of thumb is "Acrylic over Enamel over Lacquer".

It's also possible that, depending on your top coat and base coat types, you re-activated the base coat paint.

@Kneel and now your aberrants are advertising Overkill. Goddamnit man, you're taking the site by storm!

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Just to double check before I place the order, this is what people are referring to when they talk about Testors Dullcote, right?

https://www.amazon.com/Testors-Aerosol-Spray-Lacquer-Paint/dp/B009FF6DN4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479080557&sr=8-1

Yes. I don't know why Testors decided to quit calling it Dullcote.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

They don't show it on Amazon, but it actually says Dullcote on the top of the lid.

Sorry for spamming this guy but I'm about to seal him and finish the metallics, was wondering if you have any criticism on the non-metallic parts.
    Funnily enough, after months of fucking around with backgrounds, lightboxes, lamps etc, turns out I get the best photos by just putting my work lamp as close to the mini as possible.

synek5.jpg

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    That's just gorgeous!

Can't really think of anything to criticize. Maybe, and that'S really maybe a slightly brighter highlight on the black part of the bolter?

Oh shit, I completely forgot to highlight it at all! Good call!

Heffling wrote: »
    Did you use an acrylic varnish? How long did you allow the layered paint to dry? What type of paint was the metallic red?

If you use an acrylic varnish and the paint hadn't had long to dry, it could have re-wetted it.
    If you use a lacquer varnish it's possible that it ate up the acrylics. The rule of thumb is "Acrylic over Enamel over Lacquer".

It's also possible that, depending on your top coat and base coat types, you re-activated the base coat paint.

As far as I can tell, everything is acrylic. The gloss is "Synthetic Resin (Acryl)", and all the paints are labelled as acrylic. It'd been several days since I painted the cloak, so it should have been dry. I'm at a loss to explain it, and I really don't want to try and strip it and start over, but I don't think I've got any other options.

Yeah, it appears that the solvent ate through your paint. Possibly because you've sprayed too close - I have no other ideas on what might cause this effect.

Mayday wrote: »
    Yeah, it appears that the solvent ate through your paint. Possibly because you've sprayed too close - I have no other ideas on what might cause this effect.

I think that's pretty much got to be it. Possibly the temperature affected things as well. It's pretty cold at the moment.

So now I have to figure out how to strip off varnish.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Chrysis wrote: »
    Mayday wrote: »

I think that's pretty much got to be it. Possibly the temperature affected things as well. It's pretty cold at the moment.

So now I have to figure out how to strip off varnish.

It's a metal model, so acetone. Just get it off that resin base first.

Thanks!

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Getting sick of piles of plastic sitting on a shelf and my general laziness, I finally did a thing!

ra9ob33hgs5q.jpg

First half went together easily, but then once I had to get the other half on there were some unsettling gaps. Once it's all said and done a lot of it gets covered up anyway. Considered leaving the Lord off to paint separately, but I'm not looking for any master class kind of stuff, I just want it assembled and decently painted to bash stuff together on my kitchen table (probably).

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Before the real ones come out, I made some plastic battle sisters! I did not have good sized power packs :/
    battlesisters_wip.jpg

website_header.jpg
    I'm definitely not repainting all my loyalists as Alpha Legion, and if I was, these guys wouldn't be the test miniatures:
    CxUAkCfVQAAmWrw.jpg

edited November 2016
    Seems legit.
    Gibsy, that image is borked for me :/

Mayday on
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Holy shit yous guys, I've actually been doing some painting! Got 20 space mans finished today! Shame it's now too dark for pictures :(

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    Progress has been slow but we're getting there. Need to craft some nightmare mess of pins and such to mount bolter hands and backpacks on so I can airbrush in bulk.
    CxXB00yUQAAfZ8d.jpg:large

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    That red is delicious.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Nips wrote: »
    That red is delicious.

Thanks! I stole the general idea from here.
    1. Airbrush black primer coat
    2. Airbrush rhinox hide (gw)
    3. Airbrush bright bronze (vallejo)
    4. Airbrush shining gold (vallejo)
    5. Airbrush transparent red

Was chomping at the bit to start work on these so I tried three different reds over some test models to see how they'd come out. The three candidates were a Testor's, and two different shades from Createx's airbrush line.

All three came out well, but surprisingly the Testor's let the right amount of the gold layer through compared to the other two.

Model gets Nuln Oiled through the rest of the process which helps keep it red without being nail polish shiny red.

warhammer-community.com is live and there are already some goodarticles and vids on there, for example a photography tutorial. Also Duncan's first painted model.

TheColonel wrote: »
    That red is delicious.

Was chomping at the bit to start work on these so I tried three different reds over some test models to see how they'd come out. The three candidates were a Testor's, and two different shades from Createx's airbrush line.

All three came out well, but surprisingly the Testor's let the right amount of the gold layer through compared to the other two.

Model gets Nuln Oiled through the rest of the process which helps keep it red without being nail polish shiny red.

Probably going to steal that when I get around to my heresy guys.

Question though: What's the standard procedure for fixing a goof on guys like those? Say you accidentally get some black over the red armor. It seems like it would be real tough to get it looking back like it did when you airbrushed it.

(The obvious answer is just never make any mistakes :P )

edited November 2016
    That's pretty much it. Don't make mistakes.

But since this is reality I've had to put aside my perfectionist streak and live with it. I know these aren't going to be Golden Demon entries so I've had to force myself to move forward.

I'm using one of the other transparent reds I bought and found that a few very thin coats over the problem area can help mask mistakes. This combined with the nuln oil after can at least blend some of the damage together. I'm also eyeballing one of the later GW painting tutorial videos on armor chipping as a possible means of fixing things for more prominent areas of display where the blended fix may be more noticeable.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Onspoa5N6Zw

Knowing that I've got say 54 more marines to go between the Calth and Prospero boxes alone has really forced me to buckle down and accept that I'm going to screw up here and there and ultimately to accept that it is ok. I figure I'll continue to learn and get better as I go through the process and hope that marine #60 will be cleaner and nicer than marine #1. And if I feel the difference is too jarring I can strip the earlier models and redo them if really bothers me. Trying to hold myself accountable.

Honestly it's been this thread that has kept me going. The posts detailing people's first and latest models and the stunning difference in quality has really inspired me to keep at it. I've been in the hobby for nearly 20 years and found it way too easy to give up on painting because "I sucked at it" (at least what I'd tell myself).

TheColonel on
    TheColonel wrote: »
    That red is delicious.

Probably going to steal that when I get around to my heresy guys.

Question though: What's the standard procedure for fixing a goof on guys like those? Say you accidentally get some black over the red armor. It seems like it would be real tough to get it looking back like it did when you airbrushed it.

(The obvious answer is just never make any mistakes :P )

That's what battle damage is for.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    honovere wrote: »
    warhammer-community.com is live and there are already some goodarticles and vids on there, for example a photography tutorial. Also Duncan's first painted model.

And apparently a teaser for what I'm guessing are the new Dorfs That Wear Pants.

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Well here it is. Raven Guard: YEAR ONE.
    I started this army about a year ago, 6 months into my masters so I decided to do an army which I could paint quickly and efficiently without worrying too much abotu clean up and neatness, but still looked striking on the tabletop. Model per model, these are nowhere near the best models I've painted, but the army looks grand!
    I've finally finished my Assault Squad! They deserve it too. They've been real stars. A Power Fist and 2 Eviscerators is NOT Overkill. It is an acceptable level of kill.
    IMG_3886.jpg
    IMG_3883.jpg
    IMG_3888.jpg

Finished the Devs. Hopefully being painted will mean they stop running off the table turn 1. Not holding out that much hope.
    IMG_3889.jpg
    IMG_3890.jpg

And finally a Vet Sarge w/ Combi Plasma:
    IMG_3893.jpg

And his Heavy Bro
    IMG_3894.jpg
    Because Grav Cannons that ignore cover are fair and balanced.

And a teeerrrrrrrrible shot of the whole family:
    IMG_3878.jpg

On to year 2: Got 10 Mor Deythan another Assault Squad and 5 more devs to finish. Then it's Corax time!

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Love the caution-striping on the chainswords. :D

This discussion has been closed.