As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me solve my A/V woes.

3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
Hello H/A!

I'm hoping an enterprising soul has attempted what I am about to attempt, or can tell me if this will work. If so, great. If not, I may have wasted some money. Anyways, here goes nothin'.

I recently mounted this projector to my ceiling, to totally make an awesome recreation room. I fed a single HDMI cable through my ceiling to a wall jack, and currently, is fed into my PS4. The projector has a speaker, which is very sub-optimal of course, so I went and purchased this sound bar. The only problem I can see (and maybe, yes, additional research could have been done by Y.T), is that it has ONE HDMI port on it. The PS4 only has one HDMI port. It's either the projector, OR, the sound bar. Clearly, again, not optimal.

So, to be creative, I bought an HDMI switch - one input to 4 outputs! Nice right? The issue is still the same though - I need to hook up the sound bar. I'm debating a simple splitter cable, which would take my projector and split it in to two HDMI connections. One I would feed into my soundbar. The other into my HDMI switch, and...hopefully that fixes this? I'm already at max budget - I'd like to avoid buying an A/V receiver if necessary - it's a small space, and giant speakers and the like would just be a bit too much (plus, you know, money I can't spend).

Here! Enjoy this very haphazard diagram to help explain!

https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/s3nQHXzwy.jpg

Much appreciated for any advice on how I can A/V right.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Edit: Nevermind I don't know why I misread that as TV.

Uh..

You'll definitely need some sort of splitter to pass the audio to your soundbar and projector since the projector doesn't have HDMI-ARC capabilities.

Double Edit:

What's your budget? An A/V receiver with ARC would solve your issues here. $350 would put you in the bottom rung of ARC capable A/V receivers I think.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    If you get something like this, you can extract the audio signal from the HDMI and use the SPDIF which it looks like the sound bar has to get the audio to it

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    It looked liked the soundbar had optical audio. Can you use that with the projector or PS4?

I think you would want the PS4 HDMI into projector, then ideally SPDIF out from projector to soundbar, right?

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    MegatinMegatin Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    The PS4 has an optical output, so I think you want PS4 -> Projector over HDMI, and PS4 -> Soundbar over SPDIF.

You just need something like this to carry your audio.

Edit: You'd also then need to go into your PS4 settings somewhere and change the primary audio output to "DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL)", or it will keep trying to send the audio to the projector

Megatin on
  • Options
    naw see, they're using a 4in->1out HDMI switch as their main hub, so they need to split the audio after that point

audio extractor is going to be the ticket

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    MegatinMegatin Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    naw see, they're using a 4in->1out HDMI switch as their main hub, so they need to split the audio after that point

Ah yeah, fair enough. I didn't look at the diagram.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Edit: Nevermind I don't know why I misread that as TV.

Uh..

You'll definitely need some sort of splitter to pass the audio to your soundbar and projector since the projector doesn't have HDMI-ARC capabilities.

Double Edit:

What's your budget? An A/V receiver with ARC would solve your issues here. $350 would put you in the bottom rung of ARC capable A/V receivers I think.

For the moment, because the holidays are around the corner, i'm maxed out. However, down the road, I may want to upgrade to a reciever that's decent. For the moment, i'll have to make do, but feel free to recommend something! I'll defer to recommendations if you have any.

• Options

So that I understand - the audio extractor will sit in between the HDMI switch and the projector?

• Options
    3lwap0 wrote: »

So that I understand - the audio extractor will sit in between the HDMI switch and the projector?

yeah like this

n8sjt96i0y58.png

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah that's the cheaper solution by far.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    You can also get switches that have the audio extractor built in.

Like so: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5557

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Fantastic. I appreciate everyone's help. I got a extractor in the mail, and will set it up. Fingers crossed!