As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ME Andromeda: Early Impressions Out, Divert All Power To Spoiler Tags

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »
    bonus round name me every party member in dragon age origins awakening

Anders Nathaniel Sigrun Justice no one cares about the rest

there was also... an elf mage, right. I think grey delisle. she was mean.

and, oghren was there, with his extremely compelling personality of "drunk"

It was Velanna or Velania or something I think?

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    there's literally no reason to bring zevran aboard. his audition is "i'm gonna kill you" and he fucks it up. if you want to be on my team, you'd better actually fucking kill me. NEXT.

zevran was dtf

2x39jD4.jpg
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    The one thing i remember about origins is that the leather armour looked awful and everyone wore it

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    dragon age 2 had the best companions of any modern bioware game

like, I think only mass effect 2 comes close, even with garrus

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    zevran carries the proud tradition of bisexual characters being sexual deviants

liEt3nH.png
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    actually you know what I'll shit on oghren all day but it was a good joke that he is so good at alcohol that he drank the darkspawn blood and just burped innocuously

PNk1Ml4.png
    Come on, you can't expect one named guy and a bunch of scrub NPCs to beat a party of four.

camo_sig2.png

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I feel the tone of your group was different in DA1 compared to DA2/DAI.

In DA1 it felt more like you were a group of strangers brought together by a common goal. DA2 you were more comrades in arms and a bit more tightly knit. DAI was kind of inbetween the two.

Dragkonias on
    during one playthrough of da2 I had a rogue hawke and rolled with isabella, varric and aveline and did not regret it once

dragon age two crucially began the tradition of your companions having meaningful relationships with each other instead of just with you

PNk1Ml4.png
    during one playthrough of da2 I had a rogue hawke and rolled with isabella, varric and aveline and did not regret it once

This or Varric, Aveline, Fenris is my general party when I play DA2.

I maintain that Aveline is one of the best characters Bioware has ever created.

camo_sig2.png

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Varric gives Garrus a real run for his money in the "canon best friend" department

Varric might have the edge in that romancing him is not an option so you just HAVE to be best friends

6F32U1X.png
    it is genuinely hard for me to rank the top tier of dragon age 2 characters. isabella, aveline and varric are all REALLY good and isabella and aveline's growing friendship is SUPER dope

but like, even after those three, merrill is super compelling, fenris is way better than he has any right to be, anders isn't my favorite person but I really love what they do with his story...sebastian is pretty dull, but

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Varric will forever be one of my faves for having one of the best hooks for a personal quest that I've ever seen.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Keeping Loghain was an easy decision in my "main" DA1 play through

I needed Alistair out of the way so my Human Warrior could marry Anora instead

I then had Loghain sacrifice himself to kill the Archdemon, though a play through where Loghain survives every game is increasingly tempting

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I think that ME3 probably has the best companion collection, especially if you count Traynor and Steve

But also I think Merrill is in the running for the best companion to ever come out of BioWare. Man. Merrill is so, so much better than she seems at first blush

dN0T6ur.png
    dragon age two crucially began the tradition of your companions having meaningful relationships with each other instead of just with you

I think this is absolutely a major reason as to why I have so much affection for that cast. Walking into a tavern and seeing a bunch of them hanging out without me was rad

sebastian is that guy who doesn't quite fit into the group of friends but he's a nice enough fella that nobody has a real problem with him

PNk1Ml4.png
    edited November 2016
    I dislike Merril so much. Like...probably one of my most disliked characters in a Bioware game.

But I will give Bioware credit for making the "cutesy" character an arrogant jackass instead of the usual.

Dragkonias on
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I dislike Merril so much. Like...probably one of my most disliked characters in a Bioware game.

But I will give Bioware credit for making the "cutesy" character an arrogant jackass instead of the usual.

It helps that you can tell her she's awful.

The Friendship/Rivalry system was so great.

camo_sig2.png

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The Friendship/Rivalry system is a step in the right direction

But it still kind of rewards just filling a bar one way or the other, the only upside is that at least you have two choices as to how to always act toward this character forever instead of just trying to be nice to them

My one thing with DA2 is that I have a real hard time being convinced to ever ever play as Dude Hawke

Jokester Lady Hawke is so perfect, Jo Wyatt threads the needle in that performance in such an excellent way

I have trouble believing that a dude version of that character would be anything but insufferable

6F32U1X.png
    He's alright, but my first play through was with Lady Hawke and it was just so perfect that I don't think I could go back

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

But it still kind of rewards just filling a bar one way or the other, the only upside is that at least you have two choices as to how to always act toward this character forever instead of just trying to be nice to them

Yeah the fact that being a huge rival/asshole to someone gave more benefits than just being sort of nice to them and having some disagreements is... well it's a problem BioWare's been wrestling with for like ten years now

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    One of the best moments in DA2 is learning Varric taught your dog to play cards

Olivaw wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »

Yeah the fact that being a huge rival/asshole to someone gave more benefits than just being sort of nice to them and having some disagreements is... well it's a problem BioWare's been wrestling with for like ten years now

The only solution I could think of, if they really do have to have social meters that progress and get you benefits to incentivize talking to your party

Is they have a completely cosmetic meter tracking your alignment with that character, the Friendship/Rivalry thing

and then another meter that just tracks your Understanding of the character, and that's just a static progression like Persona Social Links, and that's what you get bonuses from

6F32U1X.png
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    zevran carries the proud tradition of bisexual characters being sexual deviants
    Yes this true but also 2009 me was glad to have him there for reasons I hadn't even started dealing with yet

In retrospect he isn't great representation but he was also one of the few male bi characters (if not the only one) I had seen in video games at that point and I think it was definitely better to have him than not

2x39jD4.jpg
    I wonder what you gain and what you lose by giving Dragon Age 2 proper development time

There's probably something to be said for the really short amount of time they had meant they couldn't really second-guess any of the writing decisions, they likely just had to sort of sprint through it, and somehow we ended up with some of their strongest writing ever

6F32U1X.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Zevran wasn't a deviant. He just liked to fuck.

Tube wrote: »
    Zevran wasn't a deviant. He just liked to fuck.

He's also into some non-specific variant of domination-flavored kink, which is pretty handy shorthand for being a video game sex deviant

dN0T6ur.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Deviant is like rubbing your cock on spiders, not just humpin bumpin with light bdsm.

edited November 2016
    I ain't disagreeing, but I think Zevran being into being tied up or tying his partner up, or knife play, or whatever, is supposed to make the player look at him as a freaky sex beast

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    you ain't even gotta have a kink in american media just some base level promiscuity makes you a deviant

PNk1Ml4.png
    edited November 2016
    If Zevran isn't supposed to read as having transgressive tastes then it makes everyone else super boring in comparison

Like the Hero of Ferelden asks Zevran what he's into. "Oh, you know, some light BDSM, a bit of roleplaying. I'm pretty open to new things."

Ask Leliana, or Alistair, or Morrigan the same question and they're like "Well if I'm feeling frisky I could be convinced to do some open-mouth kissing"

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    it is pretty hilarious when characters on a tv show are all like "oooh naughty" when someone is like, wearing lingerie, meanwhile every day on my twitter somebody talks about how they'd love to be eaten by sonic the hedgehog

PNk1Ml4.png
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    bonus round name me every party member in dragon age origins awakening

Chrom, Robin, Sully, Virion, Frederick, Lissa, Stahl, Miriel, Vaike, Sumia, Lon'qu, Ricken, Maribelle, Gaius, Panne, Cordelia, Gregor, Nowi, Libra, Tharja, Cherche, Henry, Donnel, Anna, Lucina, Say'ri, Tiki, Basilio, Flavia, Owain, Nah, Noire, Cynthia, Inigo, Severa, Kjelle, Gerome, Laurent, Brady, Yarne, Priam, Emmeryn, Aversa, Walhart, Yen'fey, Gangrel, and Morgan.

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    it is pretty hilarious when characters on a tv show are all like "oooh naughty" when someone is like, wearing lingerie, meanwhile every day on my twitter somebody talks about how they'd love to be eaten by sonic the hedgehog

being eaten by sonic can be done clothed and therefore is acceptable to a G audience.

Melding are you going to sit there and argue to me that the sonic the hedgehog movie could have an extended sequence where sonic straight up erotically vores eggman and receive a g from the Motion Picture association of America

PNk1Ml4.png
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Melding are you going to sit there and argue to me that the sonic the hedgehog movie could have an extended sequence where sonic straight up erotically vores eggman and receive a g from the Motion Picture association of America

50/50 shot.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I think some of the fault for Merril's flaws can be laid at...
    ...Keeper Marethari's feet. She KNEW there was a demon waiting for Merril to fix the mirror and she told NO ONE. Instead, she just lets Merril do her thing while letting the whole clan get scared of her to the point one runs right into a monster's hands and dies rather then let Merril get close. And of course if you pick the wrong option after the fight with the demon, you end up killing pretty much the whole clan. Merril has a bad case of "Don't question me, I know what I'm doing" but Marethari's the one she got it from.

Owenashi on
This discussion has been closed.