As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Another] Computer Problem

urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
My parents have been complaining about the slowness of their computer for a long time now, and I never really payed any attention to it. They have a 2.6GHz Celeron processor, so I just assumed it was that.

But today I logged on their computer to install a new printer for them. Holy shit was it slow. I opened up Task Manager, and the CPU usage was at 100% constantly. So I went into msconfig, shut off literally everything and rebooted. Unfortunately the same thing happened. I rebooted, went into safe mode, and took a look... Same thing.

What the hell is using up 100% of the CPU, even in safe mode!? Does anyone have a clue? I'm currently trying (very slowly) to back everything up so I can wipe it and start again... But I have my doubts it's windows, because 100% in safe mode makes me worry that the computer's about to hit the bucket.

urahonky on

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wow, that's weird. Never saw anything like that.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jogernautjogernaut BisonopolisRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You can go to the process tab of Task Manager and sort it by CPU usage. This way you'll get to see which particular process is using up the CPU.

jogernaut on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Nuke it and reinstall.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    jogernaut wrote: »
    You can go to the process tab of Task Manager and sort it by CPU usage. This way you'll get to see which particular process is using up the CPU.

I did, and nothing was taking up much of anything. I went ahead and reinstalled windows and it's doing the same exact thing. I think the processor is just going out of control. Oh well, it's a POS. I pre-built a system through newegg, and it comes out to about $230. Ends up being 100x better than the one they were using, and what they can buy in the store.

urahonky on
  • Options
    PhotonPhoton Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Actually i've seen something similar to this on my current PC ... in task manager go to the performance tab, then go view->show kernel times.

My suspicion is that in the graph you will now see alot of red, which indicates the windows kernel is using the CPU time ... and that would explain why none of the actual running processes are responsible for the cpu usage.

The only thing that really should be showing as kernel time (apart from horrible virusy rootkity style things) are drivers ... so for me i fixed it by going into device manager, right clicking and disabling absolutely all non essential drivers, turned out to be my firewire port ... which i never used anyway, disabling it made the cpu usage drop instantly, and it has been perfect since.

Photon on
    PSN: photon_86
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'll give that a shot, thanks for the heads up Photon.

urahonky on