As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Drive Transplant trouble

NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in ActionNorth CarolinaRegistered User regular
Ok, so thanks to Black Friday I got me a new MB, Case, CPU, GPU and RAM. In an attempt to salvage my old box, I transplanted the optical and disk drives. Now, everything's connected and I start up my new machine and get a message saying that Windows must be activated. However due to some weird technical difficulties, I cannot activate Windows (I've had problems with IE and Windows help in the past, namely they don't want to work/open).

Now, will reinstaalling the C: drive into my old box and doing a recovery help fix this problem or am I boned?

newSig.jpg
Nocren on

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's because you changed too much hardware. It's a whole new computer and you have to buy a new copy of windows. Go ahead and call the number that Microsoft asks you to call. They will tell you the same thing.

COAs. (License Keys) are not transferable.

halkun on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    shit.... Oh well, back to the old system I guess

for now.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've never had a problem calling MS and getting my copy activated after a hardware change. If it was a, uhhh, "free 30 day trial" of windows, that obviously isnt' gonna help you.

The phone call is annoying, but they've never given me a hassle when I upgraded my hardware.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The problem then harkens back to my other problem. It loads up the "Activate Windows" window upon start up on the new system, but there's no text. Just a big grey box. I'm sure that this is connected to the fact that I cannot open ANY help file on ANY MS product. I spent all day (quite litterally as I'm sure some of you know) will "Bill" from "Texas-Land" and then best course of action we both came up with was a fresh reboot.

I know I have to do it, but I just ain't got the time right now. Maybe next week, because I really don't want to spend $200 right now.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    PrimesghostPrimesghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    First: Yes, it's always a good idea to do a clean install when you change that much hardware. To be honest, I'm surprised it booted at all. Anyway, go ahead and do that first.

Second: After the clean install you'll have thirty days to activate. Go ahead and finish the install and make sure everything goes smoothly before activating (I always activate last because you never know when you might have to start over during the install phase of a new machine.) If the online activation doesn't go through (I'm assuming you have a legit copy of Windows here), go ahead and select the "Activate by phone" option. After inputting your activation code you may or may not be forced to talk to a representative. If you don't have to then it will ask you a couple of questions where you talk to a computer. Tell them that you are not using this copy on another machine and that you did not make any major hardware changes (Yeah I know it's not entirely true but I believe that you should be able to use your copy on a single computer at a time, not install it once and them repurchase every single time you have to upgrade.) If you have to talk to a representative then you'll basically be asked the same questions. Why are you reinstalling? Had to format the hard drive...viruses. How many computers are you using it on? Just the one.

There ya go, now they should give you an activation code.

Primesghost on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yeah my windows is legit. It came pre-loaded on my original Compaq box. But HP/Compaq didn't give me any discs. Instead they have a seperate partition on the HD where all the backfiles are located and you're suppose to create your own discs. I've done that so hopefully that works. I'll probably be doing this tomorow since I have it off.

And I'm of the same mind that since I already purchased something once, I shouldn't need to repurchase it again just because of a few new pieces of hardware.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    funkyduefunkydue Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If you can locate a Win XP disk (Home or Pro, depending on your OS currently installed) do a repair install. I recently had to do something exactly like this when my old Socket 939 Mobo died and I could not buy a replacement. Ran a repair install and all my installed programs work fine and not a single blue screen.

Oh and about rebuying Windows technically since what you have is a OEM copy you technically do need to rebuy it but Microsoft usually will just say screw and activate it anyways.

funkydue on
    funkydue.png
  • Options
    PrimesghostPrimesghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Nocren wrote: »
    Yeah my windows is legit. It came pre-loaded on my original Compaq box. But HP/Compaq didn't give me any discs. Instead they have a seperate partition on the HD where all the backfiles are located and you're suppose to create your own discs. I've done that so hopefully that works. I'll probably be doing this tomorow since I have it off.

Ahh, unfortunately those will be System Restore disks and not a Windows reinstall disk. They will reinstall everything with the original Compaq hardware drivers. There's a 99% chance it won't boot for you when you're done. Looks like you're going to have to bite the bullet and get a copy of XP. You won't be able to get it in a retail store. Check a locally owned shop in your area for an OEM version or order it online. Sorry.

Primesghost on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Shit... looks like this is going to take a couple of extra weeks then (till next paycheck).

thanks for your help, tech forum.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg