As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CF Secret Santa 2016

• Options
    CF SANTACF SANTA Registered User regular
    HO HO HO

Hello prospective Santas/Santees!
    As of this time, everyone who has signed up should have received a confirmation PM response from me, Santa.

IF YOU DID NOT GET A CONFIRMATION PM FROM ME, YOU ARE NOT SIGNED UP.
    It's possible I missed someone, or just didn't get a PM from you. If that's the case, PM me as soon as you can.

For any latecomers, there's still time:
    SIGNUPS END 2359GMT ON FRIDAY 4th NOVEMBER
    That's tomorrow night!

HO HO HO

santasig.jpg
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Hey, remember how I was like "Oh yeah, I'm totally signing up, gonna send a PM tonight"?

I totally did not send that PM. But that's OK, because I'll send it now.

Also: I will update this post at a future date with a list of all the stuff I already have, and hints to what I might like.

EDIT: It is now a future date, and so I will update this post.

Pen & Paper RPGs:
    I don't really get to play p&p RPGs much (lack of time, scheduling conflicts, etc), but I still love RPG rulebooks. I have various amounts of books for the following systems:
    D&D (Basic, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Editions)
    Shadowrun (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Editions)
    Old World of Darkness
    Fate Core
    Feng Shui 2
    Hackmaster (both the original satire edition, and the po-faced Basic edition)
    Dark Heresy
    Numenera
    13th Age
    One-Roll Engine

For the board games, assume that I have all the expansions for a game (unless I say otherwise).

Board games (that I own and like):
    7 Wonders
    Alchemists
    Blokus
    Bullfrogs
    Carcassonne
    Concept
    Coup
    Codenames (regular and Pictures)
    Descent: Journeys in the Dark (1st and 2nd Edition)
    Dreadball (every single season, expansion, etc)
    Eight-Minute Empire Legends
    Epic
    Flash Duel
    Gloom
    The Grizzled
    Hanabi
    Hive
    Jaipur
    Kodama
    Level 99's Minigame Library 2013
    Love Letter
    Mage Wars
    Onitama
    Sentinels of the Multiverse
    Set
    Small World
    Summoner Wars
    Super Dungeon Explore
    Tash-Kalar
    Tiny Epic Galaxies
    Tiny Epic Western
    Thunderstone (all the versions)
    Tokaido

Board games (that I own and plan to get rid of, either because I don't like them, am bored of them, or don't have time for them):
    Boss Monster
    Elder Sign: Omens
    Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre
    King of New York
    Netrunner
    Munchkin
    Warhammer: Invasion

Board games (that I own but haven't tried yet):
    Alliances
    Ages: Rise of the Phoenixborn
    Inkognito the Card Game
    Marvel Dice Masters
    Millennium Blades
    Patchwork
    Penny-Arcade: Paint the Line: Red Tide
    Warrior Knights

Things I might like:
    Pen & paper RPGs: If you've got some RPG that you are really excited about, then I would love to receive that as a gift - I would love to check out something I've never heard of! I will say, though, that I'm not really interested in D&D retro-clones, nor am I too excited about very rules-heavy games. If you want some specific suggestions, here are some things that I would like:
    - Fellowship
    - Shadowrun: Anarchy
    - Vampire: The Masquerade 20th Anniversary Edition
    - Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition
    - Werewolf: the Forsaken 2nd Edition

Board Games: I generally prefer Euro-games, or abstract strategy games, and am not really into games that revolve around social manipulation or bluffing (like The Resistance, for example). Co-op games are hit-or-miss because of the "one player takes over" factor, which is why Hanabi is brilliant. If you have a game that has some really interesting mechanic, or play pieces, or is unique and unusual in some way, I want to check it out!
    Specific suggestions:
    - I only have one Descent 2nd Ed expansion: The Trollfens. I will be glad to have any of the other expansions!
    - Legendary Encounters: Alien
    - 504 (I feel like I wouldn't play this much, but it's such a strong thesis statement that I feel like I want to own it)
    - Pandemic Legacy, because I'd like to play it someday, and I ought to get a copy before it goes out of print
    - Mystic Vale sounds like it has some really interesting ideas

Things I would prefer not to get:
    - Miniatures (I already have so many unpainted ones - and that was before I backed three separate Reaper Bones Kickstarters!)
    - Collectible games of any sort (CCGs, LCGs, minis, dice, etc - I simply don't have the time, money, and energy to focus on more than one of these at a time, and right now that game is Hearthstone)

Lastly, here is my Amazon wishlist. Anything on it is fair game:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/1BI1F6XLF4Z1A

If you're interested in getting me something that isn't a tabletop game, check out this post in the Games & Technology Secret Santa thread, where I talk about things like video games and books and other stuff.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    TODAY IS THE LAST DAY TO SIGN UP.

YOU HAVE UNTIL MIDNIGHT GMT.

santasig.jpg
  • Options
    Signups are closed.
    Assignments will go out sometime this weekend, so if you need to update your PM at all, do it ASAP.

santasig.jpg
  • Options
    All PMs are OUT!

THE TIME FOR HOLIDAY CHEER HAS BEGUN.

If you do not have a PM and think you should have a PM, let me know ASAP.

Santas, you have until the end of January, so whip those elves into shape!

ho

ho

santasig.jpg
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Oh man, CF SS started with a bang. My SS sent me a digital download for the following games:

Pacific General
    Fantasy General
    Warhammer® 40,000: Chaos Gate
    Warhammer®: Shadow of the Horned Rat
    Final Liberation: Warhammer® Epic 40,000
    D&D Stronghold: Kingdom Simulator
    War Wind II: Human Onslaught
    Warhammer® 40,000: Rites of War
    War Wind

with a note that a physical product is incoming.

Santa: I own 0 of the above.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I need to slow down on the shopping or else things might get out of control.
    giphy.gif

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
      Thank you santa for the light-up d20!! I live it!! This was on my list for a while and am happy you thought of me. t8c331u0ypew.jpg

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
    • Options
      RendRend Registered User regular
      Wow, well that was quick. Got a package in today, thought to myself: "I don't think I ordered anything recently...?"

qaex4e4tqcwx.jpg
      "Just open it up"

Okay, little kitty. Just... whaaa? Giftwrapped bags?
      eg3wbyg1xyzf.jpg
      wvslvehcaoxm.jpg

My benefactor, in the eloquent style of Alexander Hamilton, wrote thusly:
      *KICKS IN THE DOOR*
      YO! IT'S ME, MEGA MNC DOVER! I'M YOUR SECRET SANTA! WHAT?! YOU THINK I KEEP SECRETS?! PSH!

I'M HERE TO TAKE OVER THE HOLIDAYS! BOO-YAH, BABY!

Okay so maybe a little less Alexander Hamilton and a little more Hercules Mulligan.
      He also wrote this:
      Rend,
      I'm assuming you already had the first game and needed the follow up in your life. If you don't own the original, make sure to get it!

You have my attention.
      sjy3ve2jmx31.jpg

As almost anyone who knows me can tell you, I'm a rabid fan of hidden identity and social bluffing games. This one has somehow eluded my collection for some time, but no longer. Now I've got this gem of a portable, quick game you can play anytime, anywhere. Excellent pick.
      e7smmxnn3uu9.jpg

Oh shit
      I mean literally everyone on the earth knows that codenames is a smash hit on every table. Well, maybe not quite so universal but seriously. I love me some codenames and I can NOT wait to get this one onto the table.

Actually, come to think of it, why don't I just clean up what I already had on there...

pfatxs2lyfqr.jpg

...Yes. Perfect.

@MNC Dover Thank you very much! My holiday season will involve a good deal more subterfuge thanks to your expert gift giving. I appreciate both of these very much, especially what with my dire need for good news at the end of this week
      <3<3<3

• Options
      MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      Glad you enjoyed the gifts! I don't do the "secret" part of this event, so no guessing required. Super happy to hear you didn't already own either game, always a crap shoot in that regard.

Sorry they arrived so soon, but the wife and I will be out of town for most of December so I thought I'd get them sent before I forgot. And hey, you got extra games for the holiday season!

We all need good news this week and I'm glad I helped out a little bit. BTW, it's really cute that you think you're done being gifted...

Finally...

Dear Secret Santa,

If you haven't picked out a gift for me yet, please send me a copy of @Rend table. Mrs. Dover and I are in search of a gaming table such as that one. I'm sure it only costs $1k-2k. :)

Thanks!

MNC Dover

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Options
      see317see317 Registered User regular
      My Santee's primary gift has arrived.
      Sadly, the holiday taffy has not.

Sorry Santee, you're going to have to wait until I get your taffy.

• Options
      webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
      Damn you're all on the ball this year.

Steam ID: Webguy20
      Origin ID: Discgolfer27
      Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    • Options
      As a reminder to my Santa; the wife, kiddo, and I will be out of town from December 2nd-18th. If you send your gift during those times, our house sitter will bring it in but I won't post anything until we get back home.

Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Options
      Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
      Waiting for next paycheck before I begin spendification, but be aware, Santee. You are being stalked.

That fuzziness in your periphery? It isn't just your imagination.

The rustling sound outside your window? Not just a bird or squirrel

The shadows where there should be none? The darker shades of black in the darkness? Not your mind playing tricks on you.

Once the becoming is complete, you will obtain your treat.

• Options
      Huzzah?

• Options
      crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
      I thought this was Secret Santa, not Secret Krampus

• Options
      KoregKoreg Registered User regular
      Time to break out the lingerie then.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
    • Options
      MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
      I'm almost done with my shopping. I still feel like I haven't found the "perfect" thing yet.

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
    • Options
      VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
      i have sent my santee gifts

• Options
      stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
      DAMN IT!!!
      Missed it again??!!!

@CF SANTA
      Could you @ me up next year, if you remember.
      2 years missed in a row is making me a saaad Santa...

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
    • Options
      Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
      Well, nuts, my Santee this year denied me my love of making extravagant custom warhammer models, but... I think I managed to account for myself quit well anyways.

I should find out around Saturdayish, according to Amazon! :biggrin:

• Options
      DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
      Dear Santa,

I'm sorry that I've been slacking on giving you a list of stuff I already own. I have now updated this post with all the sordid details.

Guilty love and hugs,
      me

• Options
      GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
      stever777 wrote: »
      DAMN IT!!!
      Missed it again??!!!

@CF SANTA
      Could you @ me up next year, if you remember.
      2 years missed in a row is making me a saaad Santa...

You should post a wishlist anyways - and possibly secret krampus will visit you.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
      Island Name: Felinefine
    • Options
      RendRend Registered User regular
      It looks like @MNC Dover wasn't kidding when he said I wasn't done being gifted. A santa truck arrived just yesterday and brought this to my door:
      hetnqx4b598i.jpg

Holy cow, a 1975 classic dungeons and dragons board game. Well, I can definitely say this one's in my wheelhouse. Even though I didn't have time to lay out all of this game's components luxuriously on my table, this gift is very much appreciated! I think I know just the group that would get a kick out of playing it.

• Options
      ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
      That's the reprint. Which is actually a good thing, because I have the original from 1975, and ... it has issues. The components are tiny. Also I like the new class names being the more familiar quartet.

IWBRLjC.png
    • Options
      Yeah, that's the modern version of the game. I own the 1980's version and had a blast playing as a kid. Enjoy and happy holidays!

Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Options
      Oh man! A package just showed up, I took a peak and wow! Pictures to come later once my phone charges back up. Thank you Santa! You know who you are. ;)

• Options
      MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
      I got this un-assuming plush treasure chest in the mail today.
      2NLHYz7.jpg

OH GOD!
      TIJnjgJ.jpg

HE ATE ALL MY DICE!
      scJFLcI.jpg

Thank you Santa! My six-year-old has been laughing hysterically it's tongue.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
      Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    • Options
      crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
      I got home from visiting my family this weekend and saw conspicuous package at my door.

I open it up and see some cool things inside!
      pw169k2kc8dj.jpg

Thanks so much @Gabriel_Pitt!
      I've only played Dixit once before, and I enjoyed it a bunch. It'll be a good one to play with the family over the holidays!
      I haven't played Boss Monster at all, but a woman at work talks it up all the time, so I'm excited to finally see how it goes.

0.jpg 140.5K
    • Options
      Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
      I got home from visiting my family this weekend and saw conspicuous package at my door.

I open it up and see some cool things inside!
      pw169k2kc8dj.jpg

Thanks so much @Gabriel_Pitt!
      I've only played Dixit once before, and I enjoyed it a bunch. It'll be a good one to play with the family over the holidays!
      I haven't played Boss Monster at all, but a woman at work talks it up all the time, so I'm excited to finally see how it goes.

You're very welcome! I was tempted to take the easy way out, and send some Xwing Armada or Imperial Assault models your way, because who doesn't want more awesome Star Wars game models? But you talked about being into board games, and Dixit is a game that I've had an amazing time playing with everyone from my grandparents to my best friends, and Boss Monster is a great one for my local group.

Also, big thanks for @rend's help in figuring out, 'he's got that. And that too. Yep, and that." :lol:

• Options
      edited November 2016
      What's this, a package at my door?! Oh shit, it's....

GiftGet2_zps093b52db.gif

...GIFT GET TIME!
      9xvrr1z3jxyv.jpg

An inconspicoius box appears! Yellow bear balloon holder keeps my info secret!

kxt2tkk1nfnp.jpg

A very kind, well-written note! It appears as though Vanguard is our Secret Santa! But what shall we try to play before leaving town....?

z97w55hmguaw.jpg

Race For The Galaxy! I admit that I've heard loads about the game but never got to play it. Well that shall be fixed soon! THANKS!

o5kpmbw5h9fk.jpg

Dominion! Another game that I hear great things about but never tried out. Funny enough, I was at my FLGS and the was talking to the owner about deckbuilders. The wife and I love Ascension/Star Realms and I was wondering if Dominion held up over time. He said that it didn't until the 2nd edition makeover, which apparently fixed a lot of complaints about the game.

So yeah, super excited to play these games! My daughter can't speak yet, but wanted to say a few things to @Vanguard .....

27eaf17xzzpl.jpg
      What's up Vanguard!

4zc0fue8km14.jpg
      Those are some amazingly cool games you sent mommy and daddy!

a80zubtmnzli.jpg
      Even though your avatar is scary...

wrcv7wu07rop.jpg
      ...you're alright by me!

oz559dqbixrr.jpg
      Gotta run! Those games won't play themselves!

MNC Dover on
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Options
      ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      That's. Freaking. Adorable.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options
      @MNC Dover glad you liked them! Your daughter is quite personable for someone who can't speak yet.

• Options
      oohm4mt1entu.gif

Well it looks like another package showed up! How exciting!

Click the Spoiler for Awesomeness
      dbir1of03j8p.jpg

Thank you so much @Rend for this bounty. I think I'll be able to get Splendor and Codenames to the table in the next week or two, Rebellion is going to be tougher, but I'm working with my friend who I play X-wing with to see when we can get a day to break this puppy out and get a few games in. So excited!

• Options
      So, while watching the latest episode of Westworld, I heard a knock at my door.
      I opened the door (as one does when one hears a knocking) to a huge box from Office Depot.
      y3hhk2g7xli1.jpg
      Chair for scale.

I had ordered something from Office Depot, but it certainly shouldn't require a box the size of an ottoman. So, opening commences.
      p33xv9yjfm6g.jpg

Clearly, I was wrong. The 12x9x5inch box I ordered to pack my santee's gift into does indeed require a box roughly 8 times its volume (13.5x14.5x22) to ship in, as well as bags of air to insure there is no damage done to the empty collapsed cardboard box in shipping.

7pz96qstc1kp.jpg
      New box, perched on top of the box it was shipped in.

I don't know if anyone here works for Office Depot in a corporate role where they could make a suggestion, but maybe there was a better way to do this? Maybe wrap the thing in plastic and slap the shipping label there?

In Secret Santa related news, the box was the last piece of the puzzle. I can ship as soon as I get stuff wrapped, packed and labeled and get to the post office.

• Options
      edited November 2016
      as someone who works in logistics. FUCK THAT. Talk about wasteful. I don't even know who in a warehouse would think that was a good idea, unless it was someone new who didn't know better or didn't give a fuck.

webguy20 on
    • Options
      ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
      I'm laughing on the outside. I'm laughing on the inside too, honestly. Have had Amazon do similar, sending me a box that was 9/10s air for something much smaller.

• Options
      Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
      When I get X-wings from online, they are like that, except for packing peanuts instead of air bags.

• Options
      Giftmas cheer has been launched into the Aether in the care of His Imperial Majesty's trusted USPS.

Headsup, Santee, reinforcements are on route.

• Options
      cg1ufz9vvrey.jpg

Mystery box arrived today. This from you @Vanguard or someone else?

Steam ID
      Twitch Page