As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Internet Radio [Podcasts]

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Cartography is still very important in rural areas: geography majors in Ireland spend a bunch of time settling land disputes

Oh for sure. I mean, it's still important everywhere, it's just been moving in some weird directions due to digitizing and satellite imaging.

But especially when we're talking with real small stuff, the sort of things that the highly digital and satellite imaged stuff doesn't cover as readily, it can fall back on the more traditional cartography techniques, especially because that's where a lot of records are going to come from when you're dealing with minor principalities and stuff.

Honestly, growing up in New England, historical boundary lines and that sort of thing came up fairly often. I was in a more rural area, where the size of your farm was based on how far you could carry the stones for your wall, and you would occasionally have to go to the town hall to check records and stuff, occasionally dating back to hand drawn (even if they were later press printed) survey maps from like, the 1700s. I didn't deal with it a whole lot myself, because that's a pretty specialized field, but it's the sort of thing that would definitely come up.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Oh my god, now DraftKings and FanDuel are merging

Did they just give up on podcast advertising, by the way?

We're over halfway through football season and I haven't heard an ad in a while

6F32U1X.png
  • AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I love that when they make maps, they always put in one deliberate mistake, so that if anyone just copies their map, they can tell.

ZD98Zka.png
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Because they're hemorrhaging money and are in allll kinds of legal trouble

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    They have probably already been banned in every place podcasts are recorded at this point

edited November 2016
    The merger also has a good chance of not happening for antitrust concerns

WeedLordVegeta on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think part of my idea with playing a fantasy cartographer would be that I wouldn't necessarily be playing a good cartographer.

I mean, I'd probably do it as a highly literate ranger type of character, eschewing the traditional wild man setup of a ranger for a more refined city person who just so happens to know how to survive and can draw a decent map. Probably relying on historical expedition ideas a bit more too - as much as we remember Merriweather Lewis and William Clark, they had a crew of thirty others to accompany them and do a lot of the hard work.

But historical cartographers, a lot of times, were prey to flights of fancy, to the weird stuff about people without heads and with giant mouths on their torsos, the city of El Dorado, that sort of thing. In a fantasy world that all takes a slightly different timbre, of course, but the idea that the character, while a professional mapmaker, also knows that his maps will sell better and he'll get hired for more work the more terrifying he makes the wilderness seem.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    The idea that Fan duel is any more or less gambling than traditional fantasy sports is is such bull crap and really frustrates me

Ban both if you think it's gambling but daily fantasy is just as much of a sill game as long term fantasy

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I think part of my idea with playing a fantasy cartographer would be that I wouldn't necessarily be playing a good cartographer.

I mean, I'd probably do it as a highly literate ranger type of character, eschewing the traditional wild man setup of a ranger for a more refined city person who just so happens to know how to survive and can draw a decent map. Probably relying on historical expedition ideas a bit more too - as much as we remember Merriweather Lewis and William Clark, they had a crew of thirty others to accompany them and do a lot of the hard work.

But historical cartographers, a lot of times, were prey to flights of fancy, to the weird stuff about people without heads and with giant mouths on their torsos, the city of El Dorado, that sort of thing. In a fantasy world that all takes a slightly different timbre, of course, but the idea that the character, while a professional mapmaker, also knows that his maps will sell better and he'll get hired for more work the more terrifying he makes the wilderness seem.

This is a good idea for a role-playing campaign.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    I think the last five podcasts I listened to were:
    -Digital Moncast
    -Waypoint Radio (I just started this today)
    -Totally Reprise
    -MBMBAM
    -Rose Buddies maybe? I can't remember that far back

I definitely listened to Trans Mission Radio more recently than Rose Buddies, I don't know how I forgot about that. (I'm correcting it to make sure I don't miss an opportunity to mention Trans Mission Radio.)

Zonugal wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »

This is a good idea for a role-playing campaign.

Yeah, you could absolutely do it as a full campaign of people who have been hired to do this sort of thing.

I was thinking of just the one dude, the Merriweather Lewis sort of figure (see also John Fremont, Percy Fawcett), and maybe he's fallen into some sort of disgrace or disrepute before the campaign started. Like, the fact that he's not reliable has become more well known by the local regent or whatever, and he no longer has the royal commission that he once did to make these maps, so he has to freelance.

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    You could have moral choices between the integrity and accuracy of your maps, or completely indulging in flights of fancy add dragons, sea serpents, Shangra-La, the works to it.

as if that's a choice, add Shambala in my back yard and you will have to pay if you want to see it

VRXwDW7.png
    I have been super into D&D campaigns based on the Age of Exploration for a while now though, as I feel like the stranger in a strange land setup is a real good thing to work with as an initial idea. It gets weird with the sort of atrocities you have historically (Indigenous American genocide, slave trading, the whole Belgian Congo thing) linked to this sort of work, but I like the idea enough still that I'd be willing to try to either deal with said atrocities in a respectful way or sidestep them with obfuscating fantasy bullshit.

It's especially nice if you're dealing with players who have read a bunch of fantasy and played a bunch of D&D, as it's a real nice license to make up weird new shit and frustrate all of your players who think that they know better.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    jeff is losing his goddamned mind over this new pokemon sun/moon quicklook

wY6K6Jb.gif
    jeff is losing his goddamned mind over this new pokemon sun/moon quicklook

On a good way or a bad way

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    a jeff way

wY6K6Jb.gif
    Dan didn't pick Popplio

6F32U1X.png
    I'm surprised he didn't go with the wrestling cat

but I guess he just didn't know otherwise it would've been an immediate pick on his side

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I think the last five podcasts I listened to were:
    -Digital Moncast
    -Waypoint Radio (I just started this today)
    -Totally Reprise
    -MBMBAM
    -Rose Buddies maybe? I can't remember that far back

I definitely listened to Trans Mission Radio more recently than Rose Buddies, I don't know how I forgot about that. (I'm correcting it to make sure I don't miss an opportunity to mention Trans Mission Radio.)

Trans Mission Radio is so good!

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    The idea that Fan duel is any more or less gambling than traditional fantasy sports is is such bull crap and really frustrates me

Ban both if you think it's gambling but daily fantasy is just as much of a sill game as long term fantasy

I think the daily ones LOOK a lot more like traditional gambling and let you participate every week/day? Admittedly I don't know how fantasy football works but don't you have to get in at the start of the season otherwise

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated

I think the daily ones LOOK a lot more like traditional gambling and let you participate every week/day? Admittedly I don't know how fantasy football works but don't you have to get in at the start of the season otherwise

Yes, normally

The thing that frustrates me is that the reason they're being cracked down on is its been judged by lawmakers to not be a game of skill

Despite the fact that 10% of the players make 90% of the money

Because they are very good at it

edited November 2016
    There Is A Porygon Shaped Blow Dryer In The New Pokemon Game That You Have To Use On Your Pokemon To Dry Them After They Fight A Water Type

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    Alex Navarro's first stab at the Mega Man series will go live in about 90 minutes

6F32U1X.png
    Alex Navarro's First Stab is a crime fiction novel I would love to read

wY6K6Jb.gif
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Alex Navarro's first stab at the Mega Man series will go live in about 90 minutes

Man I'm so fucking psyched for this

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Are they back to a non-sadistic game for FaTT? I may have to pick it up again then.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I can't wait until he get's to the BEST series of Megaman games
    Disclaimer: I actually like all of the Megaman game types, quality of specific entry notwithstanding

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    You say that, until they get to Battle Chip Challenge

VRXwDW7.png
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Aistan wrote: »
    Are they back to a non-sadistic game for FaTT? I may have to pick it up again then.

Back to good old Dungeon World.

"You rolled a 4. What was your plan?"
    "Honestly, it was 4 plan really."
    Defy Danger Con is the most fun thing to punish people for.
    "I'm just gonna take this hit like a cool action dude."
    You get absolutely destroyed because you didn't dodge you idiot.

NeoToma on
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Alex with the great notch burn in this beastcast

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Aistan wrote: »

Austin got pretty rough in season 1, I'm surprised people have forgotten that most of the doomed worldstate the characters are in was mostly decided by a few bad rolls

I just watched the first episode of power rangers where Saban didn't have the actors who played Jason and Zack to do the voices of the suited rangers

I actually cannot believe how bad and lazy this is

I can't believe the most popular kids show in the country had sequences where a character is clearly supposed to be talking, other people respond as if that person is talking, and yet there is complete silence

It's like watching a work print

It's utterly baffling

• DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Oh my god, now DraftKings and FanDuel are merging

Did they just give up on podcast advertising, by the way?

We're over halfway through football season and I haven't heard an ad in a while

I've been hearing quite a few Draft Kings ads on UK soccer/comedy podcasts lately.

They're pushing the soccer version of the site pretty hard at the moment.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

What was it?

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    I just watched the first episode of power rangers where Saban didn't have the actors who played Jason and Zack to do the voices of the suited rangers

I can't believe the most popular kids show in the country had sequences where a character is clearly supposed to be talking, other people respond as if that person is talking, and yet there is complete silence

It's utterly baffling

And the voice actor they had to fill in for Austin St. John was...well, it sure as heck didn't sound like him.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
    Gonmun wrote: »

It's utterly baffling

And the voice actor they had to fill in for Austin St. John was...well, it sure as heck didn't sound like him.

now i'm in the next one and the fill in for Trini is using a fake stereotypical asian accent even though phuy trang speaks perfect english

I am so angry

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I've heard that Haim Saban is like, cartoonish levels of cheap. Or is the more correct term miserly? Anyway, he will refuse to spend more money on something than absolutely necessary, even if it would result in a better product.

DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I've heard that Haim Saban is like, cartoonish levels of cheap. Or is the more correct term miserly? Anyway, he will refuse to spend more money on something than absolutely necessary, even if it would result in a better product.

yes, this is accurate

he made them all sign a contract saying they wouldn't join a union or they'd be fired

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

What was it?

"Maybe the minecraft movie will be about millionaire constantly complaining about George Soros"

or something along that line

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
This discussion has been closed.