As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Elder Scrolls Online] It's the 2nd Era, so is this Oblivion 2, or Oblivion -1?

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So one of the things I'm not a fan of with the skill system, and maybe I'm just overthinking it, is that I feel I always need at least one skill from each of my class trees on my bar at all times, to keep levels going up in that tree. This limits my skill slots quite a bit. Right now I really don't use anything from Dark Magic, but if I don't keep Crystal Shard on my bar I feel like I'm missing out in levels in Dark Magic. I'd rather drop it for another Dual Wield skill, and keep my pet, Lightning Form and Mage's Fury on my bar.

Again, maybe I'm just overthinking it.

I tend to agree with this.

However, don't discount Dark Magic entirely. My melee sorceress makes a lot of use of the Rune Prison skill. One of its morphs makes it so that DoT damage doesn't end the effect, only direct damage. So it's fantastic for holding an enemy in place while Hurricane (an awesome morph of Lightning Form) shreds them and she sits back drinking tea... or walloping a different enemy.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    So I left the tutorial and was wandering around the first island rescuing people. I was kind of disappointed with how small the zone was. "Man, the zones in this game seem rather small!"

Then I left that island. I'm not worried about that anymore.

In other news, I'm having a good time. Surprisingly, it plays...like an elder scrolls game! Which I wasn't really expecting. Pleasantly surprised, and so far I think the skill system is neat. It does lead me to believe I should always have 1 of each armor type equipped, even as a caster, which feels weird, but whatever.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    In other news, I'm having a good time. Surprisingly, it plays...like an elder scrolls game! Which I wasn't really expecting. Pleasantly surprised, and so far I think the skill system is neat. It does lead me to believe I should always have 1 of each armor type equipped, even as a caster, which feels weird, but whatever.

You can just focus on whatever armor type fits your playstyle. My nightblade is full stamina build, so I go full medium armor.

If you want to try some other armor type (or skill line) later down the line, it levels up fast if it's underleveled.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    The dark magic line is SUPER important for Stamina (Melee based) sorcs! It has an ability that refills your health and stamina at the cost of magicka! The Dark Deal or whatever morph is super super good!

For armor, if you want magicka regen its good to focus on light armor, stamina/sneak focused characters should probably use more medium, and super health regeny and physical resistant focused characters might want to go more heavily into the heavy armor tree.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Yeah my only complaint is that combat is kinda boring, but that might change with dungeons.

Speaking of which, I'm almost level 20 with my Dunmer DPS DK. Somebody wanna help me do Fungal Grotto once I get there? *edit* is that even an appropriate level...?

Also, I need to clear the rest of the World Bosses in Stonefells, and clear Crow's Wood, esp the secret boss that gives the extra skill point.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    So if you're doing the free trial thing you get 500 crowns. The best bet for your crown usage would be (In my opinion) the starter pack that is super reduced to like 480 crowns right now. It gives you a mount, an npc pet, and some consumable items. Mounts are account-wide, so you'll always have a mount for your characters which can really make traveling easier.

n1woEHJ.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Crowns, I have 2900. Should I grab the Orc area while it's 75% off?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Speaking of Crowns, I have 2900. Should I grab the Orc area while it's 75% off?

Absolutely.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I added @CorriganX and @Pixelated Pixie last night on the game.

I expect a guild invite soon so I can be a crab with everyone.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I haven't played this game since launch, I figure I'll give it a spin again.

Man, they reset all my stat and skill points and I have no idea what I need to do with these things now.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    The dark magic line is SUPER important for Stamina (Melee based) sorcs! It has an ability that refills your health and stamina at the cost of magicka! The Dark Deal or whatever morph is super super good!

If you use twohanders it's not an issue. Surge/Momentum for heals and damage boost, and the twohander passive that increase stamina recharge off of heavy attacks.

Thinking of maybe trying some tanking in this game. Anyone know of any decent Nightblade tanking builds that don't depend too much on gear since I'll have to scrape together a starting set?

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    I haven't played this game since launch, I figure I'll give it a spin again.

Man, they reset all my stat and skill points and I have no idea what I need to do with these things now.

In general, passives are always a safe bet, particularly your main armor passives and race passives. Maybe hold off on passives that are like "gives you +2% to this for every ability from this tree on your bar," because you wouldn't know if you're going to use a lot of those abilities yet. But if it's like, you're using a bow, and the passive is "deal up to 5% more damage when you shoot from far away," that's good stuff.

If you like crafting, that can be a significant investment right off the bat, getting some in the research passive etc.

Don't spend all the points, you never know when you might want to try a new skill or morph one into something more powerful.

Stat points are easy. All classes can either be magicka focused or stamina focused, and you should pick one. Put all of your points into the one you focus on. If you are a tank, put a significant amount into health.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    You'll have more points than you need for a particular build by the time you hit 50. I say that having put a fair bunch of points into crafting along the way.

So, one of today's pledges is Banished Cells. Figure I might as well respec and try some nightblade tanking.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Anyone know if a summon sorcerer will benefit more from sword/shield, or dedicating a slot for two hand summon weapon for PVP?

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Does anyone know what the turnaround time for getting a response from support is? Bumped into an issue with the account I created yesterday last night and would prefer not to do anything else until it's resolved which is conflicting with my desire to burgle more stuff.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    Welp, got a full set of the Banished Cells heavy armor set. :rotate:

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Started for the free weekend, and probably spent more time in the character creator then I did playing. Was a little dismayed at the way elves looked, until I started fiddling with the sliders and managed to make a proper looking Bosmer with several sliders pushed as far as they would go.

So on an island full of pretty Tolken-esq elves, there is at least one that actually looks like it may eat you.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Started for the free weekend, and probably spent more time in the character creator then I did playing. Was a little dismayed at the way elves looked, until I started fiddling with the sliders and managed to make a proper looking Bosmer with several sliders pushed as far as they would go.

So on an island full of pretty Tolken-esq elves, there is at least one that actually looks like it may eat you.

Wood elves, best elves. Cannibalism, ho!

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular

The character creator in this game is actually freaking awesome. I have a Khajiit who looks exactly like Grumpy Cat.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/

Wood elves, best elves. Cannibalism, ho!

They're not cannibals! They are just people who so deeply respect life and nature that their 'eat what you kill' rule allows no exceptions!

Besides, it's only cannibalism if you eat your own species, so as long as they ain't eating other wood elves it doesn't count.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    This game gave me a healthy respect for the bosmer that I haven't gotten from other Elder Scrolls games. I especially liked the Vinedusk Rangers.

• President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    This game gave me a healthy respect for the bosmer that I haven't gotten from other Elder Scrolls games.

The Adoring Fan single-handedly set his race back about 15 years.

President Evil on
    Let's get some character shots!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I had a quick look at Craglorn and quickly noped out of there. Is there anything for me there as a solo player?

edited November 2016
    This game gave me a healthy respect for the bosmer that I haven't gotten from other Elder Scrolls games. I especially liked the Vinedusk Rangers.

Actually I lost a ton of respect for Bosmer. And/or I feel like Zenimax didn't respect the level of lore that Elder Scrolls usually has. In other words that it's usually not standard fantasy fare, typically a little bit outside the mold.

Like the fact that, to begin with, in this human/elf/dwarf world the dwarves all mysteriously disappeared. Heck, rather than being normal LotR dwarves, they were genetically short elves anyway. Rather than just being than dirty bearded miners, they were high tech nihilist atheists (in a world full of magic and godlike beings).

And then you have the dark elves living in a weird kind of nomadic culture in an alien landscape with giant mushrooms, and a trio of heretical living gods all their own.

You got all this, and then the first time we get to see what the Bosmer live like...they are just LotR elves. They might as well be WoW's night elves. Oooooh they are one with nature and wear standard fantasy elf clothing and have plant houses. I dunno I just find it pretty boring and not up to the usual imaginative standards of Elder Scrolls.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky

Actually I lost a ton of respect for Bosmer. And/or I feel like Zenimax didn't respect the level of lore that Elder Scrolls usually has. In other words that it's usually not standard fantasy fare, typically a little bit outside the mold.

Like the fact that, to begin with, in this human/elf/dwarf world the dwarves all mysteriously disappeared. Heck, rather than being normal LotR dwarves, they were genetically short elves anyway. Rather than just being than dirty bearded miners, they were high tech nihilist atheists (in a world full of magic and godlike beings).

And then you have the dark elves living in a weird kind of nomadic culture in an alien landscape with giant mushrooms, and a trio of heretical living gods all their own.

You got all this, and then the first time we get to see what the Bosmer live like...they are just LotR elves. They might as well be WoW's night elves. Oooooh they are one with nature and wear standard fantasy elf clothing and have plant houses. I dunno I just find it pretty boring and not up to the usual imaginative standards of Elder Scrolls.

Standard fantasy elf clothing? They wear skulls!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Here's what I mean by proper bosmer. Her eyes are a little small, but that's as big and alien looking as I could make them.

1wpynpa7ca8r.png

edited November 2016
    This recent sorcerer talk made me realize that my next character has to be a big burly bearded guy with a greatsword and lightning bolts and the bare minimum of clothing.

Possibly named Foclóir Gaeilge–Béarla or similar.

(as far as I can tell that's the title of a dictionary or something, I dunno I just googled random shit)

edit: it literally means Irish-English Dictionary :rotate:

Echo on
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Standard fantasy elf clothing? They wear skulls!

Speak for yourself, my elf is an anime character

mqmczj0vc4b0.png

Honestly, I have no excuses. I'm just as confused as you guys.

edited November 2016
    I dunno, when I was in Greenshade there was regularly a lot of zone talk about how it was the most boring zone in the game, and I realized I agreed with them. I still haven't finished it.

And Elden Root is the worst major city.

Here's what I mean by proper bosmer. Her eyes are a little small, but that's as big and alien looking as I could make them.

[im g]https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/a1/1wpynpa7ca8r.png[/img]

Yeah, your take on them reminds me of Pathfinder's take on gnomes, which IIRC were kind of closer to capricious fairies, fey, who really didn't understand civilized culture.

WwAj7Rt.png

UncleSporky on
    Here, have some live bard songs.

• Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    I dunno, when I was in Greenshade there was regularly a lot of zone talk about how it was the most boring zone in the game, and I realized I agreed with them. I still haven't finished it.

And Elden Root is the worst major city.

Before you judge them too harshly, wait until you get into the zone after greenshade. That's when the Bosmer start getting interesting.

• President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Grahtwood: Meh
    Greenshade: Meh

Malabal Tor was great.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    So I just started (and started, and started again because holy shit I need a bank mule at level 6)

Waht should I be doing?

fuck gendered marketing
    edited November 2016
    Convinced @Antoshka to buy the game after literally 5 minutes of showing him the emotes list (F1 and the comedy/drama masks on the top right has them all) and then showing him that theres 4 different eat emotes. (eat, eat2, eat3, eat4 for meat leg, bread, apple, soup)
    XGQahFv.jpg

I'm the elf on the left, hes the scantily dressed Khajit, and my little spiderpig buddy is behind us.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    This is a deep, deep hole I find myself in.

n57PM0C.jpg
    Antoshka wrote: »

Yes. I almost had a panic attack when I got to the first town and found the crafting profession intro quests right next to the Fighter's Guild, the Mages Guild, and the Adventurer's Guild.

Halp

• AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »

Yes. I almost had a panic attack when I got to the first town and found the crafting profession intro quests right next to the Fighter's Guild, the Mages Guild, and the Adventurer's Guild.

Halp

I got the intro pack on a character, and then decided to make another one that I like the look of, so now I need to transfer the items. Blast it, I should really try to stick to only one, but that really doesn't work with how I play these things.

On the plus side, I can now eat an apple with a knife.

n57PM0C.jpg