As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Elder Scrolls Online] It's the 2nd Era, so is this Oblivion 2, or Oblivion -1?

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Spiderpig is so cute.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Thus begins my alt's career.

0r5ucu6iilbl.jpg

• MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    I LOL'd heartily at the idea of woad-sorcerer "Irish-English Dictionary." 8-)

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »
    Antoshka wrote: »
    This is a deep, deep hole I find myself in.

Yes. I almost had a panic attack when I got to the first town and found the crafting profession intro quests right next to the Fighter's Guild, the Mages Guild, and the Adventurer's Guild.

Halp

I got the intro pack on a character, and then decided to make another one that I like the look of, so now I need to transfer the items. Blast it, I should really try to stick to only one, but that really doesn't work with how I play these things.

On the plus side, I can now eat an apple with a knife.

Getting the correct emotes on your character is the most important thing in an MMO. Everything else is secondary.

Steam: Spawnbroker
    Okay, what does this really mean on the Steam store page?
    The purchase of a Tamriel Unlimited or Gold Edition game cannot be combined with any existing Elder Scrolls Online account and must be accessed separately through the Steam client.

I was considering buying it on Steam because reasons. Can I or can I not use my existing account on Steam, or what are they trying to say?

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/306130/announcements/detail/850446046794664870

Please note that if you are a current ESO player on Steam, you will need to fully uninstall and reinstall the game in order for the new ESO/Steam client functionality to work. Here’s how[help.elderscrollsonline.com]. We are working on a fix so that in the future, this will not be necessary.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Realized I can just download the client on Steam now that it's a free weekend and check if I can log in.

• AsheAshe Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    The purchase of a Tamriel Unlimited or Gold Edition game cannot be combined with any existing Elder Scrolls Online account and must be accessed separately through the Steam client.

I was considering buying it on Steam because reasons. Can I or can I not use my existing account on Steam, or what are they trying to say?

I was confused by that too, but if it helps, I was able to link my old ESO beta account with Steam after downloading the free weekend. All went smoothly!

steam_sig.png
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    @Pixelated Pixie just tested this. You load up the steam version, it tells you to make a new account or log in with existing account. When done your old account is converted to the steam account and is able to be accessed through the client.

Pixie said she could also log into the same account through the old non-steam launcher she had too.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    What if we already have it linked in Steam?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    @Pixelated Pixie just tested this. You load up the steam version, it tells you to make a new account or log in with existing account. When done your old account is converted to the steam account and is able to be accessed through the client.

Pixie said she could also log into the same account through the old non-steam launcher she had too.

Bonus: I didn't have to do anything to make my add-ons work either. The Steam version uses the same folder for them as the non-Steam version.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    So right now just install the Steam version and it should work?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Within 2 minutes of exiting the tutorial area I'd accrued a bounty for theft and murder. I'm officially interested in this game.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Within 2 minutes of exiting the tutorial area I'd accrued a bounty for theft and murder. I'm officially interested in this game.

I searched fruitlessly to find a way to clear it so I wouldn't be accosted in every town area, then attacked when I went "you'll never take me alive!"

I earned my stolen goods ain't lettin' no lawman take 'em

(I logged out for the night. it decays when you're offline. I found the outlaw refuge the next day)

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
    So how useful is crafting to pursue? I'm inclined to mess with alchemy and provisioning because consumables are almost always useful but am less certain about jumping into equipment making and enchantments when I could be spending tie on burglary.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    So how useful is crafting to pursue? I'm inclined to mess with alchemy and provisioning because consumables are almost always useful but am less certain about jumping into equipment making and enchantments when I could be spending tie on burglary.

Very useful. Actually, of all the MMOs I've ever played, ESO is the only one in which I've ever even bothered crafting (because I generally hate it) but it's just so worth it here. Generally speaking, you can always make better than you can buy, and usually better than anything you'll find (barring fabulous strokes of RNG luck).

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    Plus you get achievement and armor dyes

3basnids3lf9.jpg

If you do a lot of dungeons you get a shitton of sets that can outpace crafting, but if you're doing dungeons you're getting a shitton of gear to deconstruct that gives you a lot of points towards your crafting. :p

n1woEHJ.png
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    so, just downloaded this on Steam for the free weekend, played for about an hour and it's pretty fun, will probably buy next week during the sale. Wasn't sure if the OP info was dated, but made a High Elf in Aldmeri Dominion. Is there still a PA guild going? If so, how/who do I get in on it? I think I'm around lvl 5 or so, not sure if there's a min lvl for joining

• DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

I haven't played much recent, so take this with salt.

Provisioning is easy and convenient, proving better versions of the food buff items than you'll find in the wild. The fancy recipes with rare ingredients can give boosts to all three attributes, which is really nice for times you want that extra boost. You'll find materials in many of the containers you come. The downside is that the materials will consume your inventory. They consolidated cooking materials awhile back, and yet they can still be overwhelming. Honestly, you can usually find someone who can make whatever you want if you can find the ingredients, though finding rare ingredients might be difficult without access to the Hireling and Writs.

Alchemy is pretty good. You're probably not going to need potions often in solo PvE gameplay, and the ones you loot from delve bosses and the like will usually suffice when you do. But more benefits never hurt when doing harder content, and Alchemy created potions can more potent effects and up to four effects. Also the skill tree has a passive that can increase potion effect duration by 30%. The downsides are reagent accessibility being poor, as you generally can't steal or disassemble items for alchemy reagents and they're not commonly found in containers, and potions can take up a fair amount of inventory space.

The main personal benefits to picking up Blacksmithing, Clothing, or Woodworking, are easy accessibility to a crafter, and more importantly, the increased chance to improve the quality of items. The former means you don't have to go searching for someone who can make the items you're after with the traits you want for a price you can afford. The latter means using crafting to improve items that are already bound to you. You get style materials mostly from random containers and deconstructing gear, the other basic material from nodes in the world or deconstructing gear. And you can deconstruct stolen items for materials, though they don't tend to give as much experience or materials (but can be readily available in certain locations, making up for this many times over).

Enchanting is a pain to level, and honestly, I see no personal benefit having it, aside from being able to make your own Glyphs. Well, and having access to its Keen Eye and Hireling passives, a potential perk for any crafting skill. You can probably find someone who can make glyphs for you if you can supply the materials.

Speaking of crafting, in general, the Crafting Writ missions are often pretty good returns on investment. The consumable ones for sure, the gear ones are less straight-forward, basically trading a sizable number of basic crafting materials for a small number of rarer ones.

Dizzen on
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    so, just downloaded this on Steam for the free weekend, played for about an hour and it's pretty fun, will probably buy next week during the sale. Wasn't sure if the OP info was dated, but made a High Elf in Aldmeri Dominion. Is there still a PA guild going? If so, how/who do I get in on it? I think I'm around lvl 5 or so, not sure if there's a min lvl for joining

The OP info is massively dated. That said, yeah, Pax Arcadia is still around. Just post in this thread with your name and someone will get around to inviting you.

There's also a crafting guild, Arcadian Acquisitions, but it's less active. Which is understandable, as you can only be in five guilds, and Guild Stores are the closest thing we get to an auction house, so people have to prioritize.

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular

Very useful. Actually, of all the MMOs I've ever played, ESO is the only one in which I've ever even bothered crafting (because I generally hate it) but it's just so worth it here. Generally speaking, you can always make better than you can buy, and usually better than anything you'll find (barring fabulous strokes of RNG luck).

This is in part because the auction system is pretty crappy, and the vendors don't provide anything amazing, as opposed to being because the crafting quality itself is great.

I suppose you could use those level-boosting items, but I think I've done that twice so far on my CP level 100 character, because they're so damn rare.

It does fit a really nice level though of being relatively involved and allowing a good amount of customization, without falling down into a rabbit hole like with the FFXIV crafting system.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Man, props to whomever dreamt up the Vile Manse. What a cool little horror-dungeon.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    So I uninstalled this early today. I think gave it a fair shot, but it's just not a game for me.

The main thing was that action bar was far too limited, meaning that every time I spent a point to learn a new skill I wasn't excited, but frustrated. I understand that other people enjoy this limitation, though for the life of me I can't understand why, I hate earning abilities and then not being allowed to use them.

Also every time I played I couldn't help but feel the game was torn between its two worlds. It's MMO features detracted from the parts that came from Elder Scrolls games, and it's Elder Scrolls features detracted from MMO parts, leaving me feeling that if it had just picked one set of features it would have been fine, but trying to do both just made both sets less.

The crafting system was very nice, and I enjoyed learning it. It was actually really intuitive, was very useful, and I could see how I would enjoy using it had I decided to continue with the game. I did hate the number of bag slots food resources used up, even after buying two bag upgrades. In fact, I didn't like the limited bag slots at all, but mostly because there's a reason why when I played Skyrim every single piece of armor I owned was enchanted with fortify carry weight (because I take everything that isn't nailed down.)

Stealing was fun, and far too easy, but I enjoyed it being far too easy. I was however extremely saddened to learn, after making a bee line to the nearest Thieves Guild as soon as I got off noob island, that I couldn't join the Thieves Guild without buying DLC.

But I do hope everyone else who has picked up the game this weekend has a grand time!

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Ashe wrote: »

I was confused by that too, but if it helps, I was able to link my old ESO beta account with Steam after downloading the free weekend. All went smoothly!

Oooh, I have to see if I can do this (and it sticks). It always bugged me that my pre-order ESO account wasn't bound to steam so I couldn't do any purchases on there. *edit* It being permanent seems iffy. While it did ask if I wanted to link an existing account to steam(and I did) it still has a timer on it in my steam library

It is another reason to steal stuff, if you needed that. :twisted:

Siska on
    Siska wrote: »
    Ashe wrote: »

Oooh, I have to see if I can do this (and it sticks). It always bugged me that my pre-order ESO account wasn't bound to steam so I couldn't do any purchases on there.

It is another reason to steal stuff, if you needed that. :twisted:

I feel sorry for the npcs that spawn nearest an entrance to an Outlaw Refuge. They are constantly being pick pocketed and/or murdered. But not sorry enough to not pick pocket and/or murder them if I'm running by.

Steam Profile
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    So, uh, how do I templar again?

I played this a bit almost a year (?) ago, and had fun but kinda forgot about it. Jumped back in because folks are talking about it again. I have a templar elf lady but all the skills got reset and I can't for the life of me remember how I should be setting skills up. My elf lady had a big fire shooting staff equipped when I logged in, so I guess I was a mage maybe?

I'm kind of tempted to just start a new character, but I remember sort of hating the intro.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu

I played this a bit almost a year (?) ago, and had fun but kinda forgot about it. Jumped back in because folks are talking about it again. I have a templar elf lady but all the skills got reset and I can't for the life of me remember how I should be setting skills up. My elf lady had a big fire shooting staff equipped when I logged in, so I guess I was a mage maybe?

I'm kind of tempted to just start a new character, but I remember sort of hating the intro.

You can skip the tutorial if you've finished it once already. Then you can go wherever in the world you want thanks to One Tamriel.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    edited November 2016

You can skip the intro now, if you've already done it once. (Though if your account is really old it may not be flagged for that option)

The first three skills in Dawn's Wrath are nice for a ranged caster Templar. Add Destruction Staff skills to taste.

Echo on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Cool, thanks.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

Look up builds and start from there. There is no rule that you have to play your character the same as before. All skills, even armor and weapon, can be abandoned at any time. It just happens to be free after every major update. Only the class choice, Templar in this case, is permanent(again, the individual skills are not). If you pick a skill you have never used before it will just take some time to level it up, is all.

*Edit* This is good to keep in mind, you NEW PLAYERS, too. Only class, race, sex, name and faction (and appearance I believe) are permanent. You can at any time decide that your weapon, armor, crafting or other weird skill choice is a crappy waste of time and get a reset and get your spent skill points back. It normally costs 100 gold per skill point you've used, I think (completely doable). You can reset your stat points as well.

Siska on
    Respecing skills costs (I think) 50 gold per skill point. About 5k gold for me with 100-some skill points.

There's also an option to only respec the morphs that's a lot cheaper, it was ~600 gold for my morphs.

I like the stuff on this guy's site for some inspiration.

http://deltiasgaming.com/eso-magic-templar-dps-build/

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Even race and appearance I think can be changed for money.

For both caster and melee templates, I think it's wise to use the basic aedric spear ability, the pokey one. Most builds seem to recommend it, it has good damage and healing. The biggest downside being the thematic mismatch with spell slinging.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I main a Templar, and started out at low levels throwing a fireball for burning, followed by poking, repeat until death. It remains my go-to method at CP 390.

President Evil on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    So for a ranged bow-type-character focusing on weapon attacks/stamina

What class skills would be of utility?

fuck gendered marketing
    Elldren wrote: »

Depends. What's the class?

As nightblade I have bow as secondary set, but I pretty much only use Swallow Soul and Siphoning Attacks which are self-buffs, the rest are Bow skills I start a fight with or only use for big AOE situations.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

Depends. What's the class?

As nightblade I have bow as secondary set, but I pretty much only use Swallow Soul and Siphoning Attacks which are self-buffs, the rest are Bow skills I start a fight with or only use for big AOE situations.

What class is my question!

fuck gendered marketing
    You can use sorceror to give yourself stamina, stuns, summons. You can use nightblade to stealth and ranged execute. You can use Dragon knight to enchant your weapon, give yourself much more survivability, and breathe fire.

Templars are okay, but dont really give many options to help with a stamina archer build. I'd go either sorc or Dragon Knight really.

n1woEHJ.png
    edited November 2016
    ...NBs have a ranged execute? Did I miss a morph?

edit: Impale? 15 meters is OK, I suppose.

Echo on