As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    TheColonel wrote: »
    That's pretty much it. Don't make mistakes.

But since this is reality I've had to put aside my perfectionist streak and live with it. I know these aren't going to be Golden Demon entries so I've had to force myself to move forward.

I'm using one of the other transparent reds I bought and found that a few very thin coats over the problem area can help mask mistakes. This combined with the nuln oil after can at least blend some of the damage together. I'm also eyeballing one of the later GW painting tutorial videos on armor chipping as a possible means of fixing things for more prominent areas of display where the blended fix may be more noticeable.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Onspoa5N6Zw

Knowing that I've got say 54 more marines to go between the Calth and Prospero boxes alone has really forced me to buckle down and accept that I'm going to screw up here and there and ultimately to accept that it is ok. I figure I'll continue to learn and get better as I go through the process and hope that marine #60 will be cleaner and nicer than marine #1. And if I feel the difference is too jarring I can strip the earlier models and redo them if really bothers me. Trying to hold myself accountable.

Honestly it's been this thread that has kept me going. The posts detailing people's first and latest models and the stunning difference in quality has really inspired me to keep at it. I've been in the hobby for nearly 20 years and found it way too easy to give up on painting because "I sucked at it" (at least what I'd tell myself).

Yeah, I'm just getting back into painting and I am definitely flubbing stuff up.

But I am trying to not worry about mistakes, push forward, and focusing more on painting/modelling for at least 1 hour a day. I'm not going to get better by obsessing over mistakes, I'm only going to get better by painting.

Made the mistake of visiting my local GW store so now I have a blood bowl preorder, gotta figure out how I want to paint up those figures now. Will be fun to get to do big, bright, loud sport colors.

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    @Asher furiously clicking the awesome button right now. Even when individual models are painted to a tidy minimal standard, a whole army will look great. In your case that's more like excellent -> holy shit that's awesome. And you're selling yourself short, the individual models are a real pleasure to look at!

Mayday on
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Love the caution-striping on the chainswords. :D

You better believe they're a OH&S risk. :P The quill pushers in the administratum insist I'm afraid. Also it totally makes the unit stand out more while still not breaking my minimalist aesthetic.
    Mayday wrote: »
    @Asher furiously clicking the awsome button right now. Even when individual models are painted to a tidy minimal standard, a whole army will look great. In your case that's more like excellent -> holyy shit that's awesome. And you're selling youself short, the individual models are a real pleasure to look at!

Thanks Mayday! <3 It really does feel good to just get an army done. And have it look good. Especially and army like the Ravens which you really don't see much.

O dang. Just found 10 half painted Seekers/Tac marines. Guess that's 35 models to go before the big C. :(

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
    edited November 2016
    Asher wrote: »
    Guess that's 35 models to go before the big C. :(
    Ummm... the only meaning of the "big C" that I know makes this post really worrying.
    EDIT: Oh Jesus Christ, you meant Corax, not Cancer.

Mayday on
    Oh shit I did not even think about how that could be interpreted. Yeah. Corax. Whom I will now call a different nickname. I'm saving him as a treat for when I finish the rank and file.

• Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    We're starting a small Frostgrave campaign so I'm getting some scenery together. This set of ruins by 4ground looks really good even without painting.

HnOheH8.jpg?1

uPAlLVe.jpg?2

y4l9WO0.jpg?1

The pieces are interchangeable, but I might cut a couple MDF bases and make two permanent pieces. This blend them into the table more and use the broken tile parts to soften the hard edges of the base. Then I can make a couple walkways to bridge between the two pieces and other terrain.

Sharp101 on
    Those look great and made me super nostalgic for mordheim.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Chrysis wrote: »
    Heffling wrote: »
    Did you use an acrylic varnish? How long did you allow the layered paint to dry? What type of paint was the metallic red?

If you use an acrylic varnish and the paint hadn't had long to dry, it could have re-wetted it.
    If you use a lacquer varnish it's possible that it ate up the acrylics. The rule of thumb is "Acrylic over Enamel over Lacquer".

It's also possible that, depending on your top coat and base coat types, you re-activated the base coat paint.

As far as I can tell, everything is acrylic. The gloss is "Synthetic Resin (Acryl)", and all the paints are labelled as acrylic. It'd been several days since I painted the cloak, so it should have been dry. I'm at a loss to explain it, and I really don't want to try and strip it and start over, but I don't think I've got any other options.

The solvent in a spray acrylic topcoat is designed to keep the acrylic paint inside wet until it gets onto your model. So, it can dissolve the paint on the model. I would try an enamel spray like Rustoleum Matte Clear or the Krylon equivalent.

• KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    So I've been busy moving/buying furniture and not-painting, but I did manage to get a third abberant almost finished.

b4wcemlwu952.jpg

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
    TheColonel wrote: »
    Nips wrote: »
    That red is delicious.

Thanks! I stole the general idea from here.
    1. Airbrush black primer coat
    2. Airbrush rhinox hide (gw)
    3. Airbrush bright bronze (vallejo)
    4. Airbrush shining gold (vallejo)
    5. Airbrush transparent red

Was chomping at the bit to start work on these so I tried three different reds over some test models to see how they'd come out. The three candidates were a Testor's, and two different shades from Createx's airbrush line.

All three came out well, but surprisingly the Testor's let the right amount of the gold layer through compared to the other two.

Model gets Nuln Oiled through the rest of the process which helps keep it red without being nail polish shiny red.

So I really like the results of this but need to figure out how to get a darker, richer red out of it for Word Bearers. I think building up the under metallic color to something like a brass/bronze instead of a bright gold should do the trick, yeah?

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Do you like this colour:
    0encpt3ldhn3.jpeg
    That is basically the same process except using copper instead of brass/gold, and with a final layer of Agrax airbrushed on top.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    We're starting a small Frostgrave campaign so I'm getting some scenery together. This set of ruins by 4ground looks really good even without painting.

HnOheH8.jpg?1

uPAlLVe.jpg?2

y4l9WO0.jpg?1

The pieces are interchangeable, but I might cut a couple MDF bases and make two permanent pieces. This blend them into the table more and use the broken tile parts to soften the hard edges of the base. Then I can make a couple walkways to bridge between the two pieces and other terrain.

4grounds stuff is designed to not need painting, it's actually why you pay such a premium price. So if you like the look, just go with it.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    This isn't the very first model I ever painted, but it's from that era, 1996-97 or so. Eldar Dark Reaper Exarch with Web of Skulls. Oldest model I still have.

bYSHEihl.jpg

From 1998(?), a very chipped Drazhar that lost his arms somewhere along the way.

DeySNZql.jpg

edited November 2016
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Do you like this colour:
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/yh/0encpt3ldhn3.jpeg
    That is basically the same process except using copper instead of brass/gold, and with a final layer of Agrax airbrushed on top.

That is EXACTLY the look I was hoping for.

Inquisitor on
    I have that Exarch somewhere! He's a cool dude. Shame his weapons are super illegal now :(.
    I carted my Ravens into the FLGS and took some pics of basically everything. On a table and stuff. I can't remember what I've put up before, so I figured I'd do a semi retrospective and put up a few pictures at a time. So here we go:

IMG_3896.jpg
    Ancient Tuvos. The first of 2 whole vehicles I've painted. He's a Converted BaC Dread and I was super pleased with how he turned out. He has served me well whenever he has deployed, especially in the vicious tunnel fights of a Zone Mortalis.

IMG_3902.jpg
    Librarian Cyanus. He was painted to get a cheap HQ on the table and usually comes out for small games. His track record is middling in terms of combat, but the troops under his command tend to find victor when aided by his foresight.

IMG_3907.jpg
    IMG_3913.jpg
    Shadow-Captain Rhynn Morior "The White Raven". An Albino, believed to have been rendered so by a rare interaction between his genetic code and the geneseed, Morior was originally seen as an ill omen. However his skills have lead him to command an entire company. Stealthy and bloodthirsty in even measure, he has so far brought ill fates to his foes.

IMG_3912.jpg
    Squad Karnak "The Brotherhood of Nine". Squad Karnak are permanently attached to Captain Morior's Company and strike deep into the heart of the enemy, guided by their Scout Brethren. They number only nine to honour their borther lost in the warp, his place in the squad left open in the hope that one day he will return to the company.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Its all awesome, but man, the colour palette on that librarian is so rich and tasty

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I'm working from home today. Just a few minutes ago I glanced over at my hobby desk and saw Corax and my 30k Raven Guard and thought to myself 'I should really get back to working on those.'

NOT ANYMORE.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Making some more terrain for Frostgrave. It's been years since I've made foam terrain so I did a simple rock/hill thing.

uBmTFRh.jpg?2

cwh7zR2.jpg?2

Colours are a little blown out in these photos, the snow looks better in person!

vHSkXEg.jpg?2

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Unnnffff. That's some goood snowy hills.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    MORE THINGS! Assembled the three hammer dudes (Retributors I think?) so that getting out everything for airbrush priming wasn't wasted on one model.
    m8cftymp4xpw.jpg

My sick homemade painting stand is working awesome! My airbrush...isn't. Apparently its turned into a single action since the last time I used it. I'm wondering if it doesn't close fully due to some old dry primer inside that I didn't properly clean. When I press the trigger it blows air and whatever is in the cup, sliding the trigger doesn't change anything. Any thoughts on cause/fix? Can I just disassemble my airbrush (cheap Master brand from Amazon) and soak the parts in Medea airbrush cleaner?

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Its all awesome, but man, the colour palette on that librarian is so rich and tasty
    Cheers, he's this tiny oasis of colour in an army that is otherwhile monocrome as anything.
    I'm working from home today. Just a few minutes ago I glanced over at my hobby desk and saw Corax and my 30k Raven Guard and thought to myself 'I should really get back to working on those.'

NOT ANYMORE.

But, but, we gotta rebuild the legion! Also I really want to see your Corax finished. For Inspiration.

@Custom Special can you detach the back of the airbrush? Basically you need to pull the needle and check that it's not all gunked up. And also check that the threaded chuck that holds the needle hasn't come loose.

Yeah my double action does that a bit. Even if I think I've cleaned it properly, it always needed to be cleaner better.

Continuing on the Raven Guard retrospective:
    IMG_3916.jpg
    Assault Squad Corvayne. They usually accompany captain Morior into combat and reap a heavy toll in slaughtered foes. Though with the honour of being first to the fray comes great risk. They suffer the highest casualty rates in the company.

IMG_3918.jpg
    Scout Squad Zereas. Sergeant Zereas is a willy and determined marine who leads his charges into excellent ambush positions and signals the arrival of the Vanguard.

IMG_3922.jpg
    Squad Hekate's sudden assaults from an unexpected quarter have won victory for the company many times.

IMG_3925.jpg
    Sergeant Brax and his sniper team are attached to the Company rather than the Kill-Team and his keen eye has spotted many priority targets.

IMG_3926.jpg
    The squad comes equiped with heavy bolter or missile launcher depending on the nature of the foe.

Bother bother bother! While taking them out for priming I dropped one of my assault marines and now his Jump Pack has gone on a magical adventure beyond the ken of mortal men.

Carrying on:
    IMG_3927.jpg
    A better shot of Diamedes. While his squads heavy fire is welcome in battle some of the other officers in the company consider him too circumspect and cautious.

IMG_3932.jpg
    IMG_3934.jpg
    IMG_3935.jpg
    IMG_3936.jpg
    Squad Sevinias is the most experienced unit within the company. They are the fulcrum around which the rest of the company operates to crush the foes. Their bravery is unquestionable and the skill in battle is potent.

IMG_3938.jpg
    And as a bonus, not a real squad! I have 5 plasma gunners to act as a support squad when I play heresy.

Cxt5eHxUoAIOQEy.jpg
    WiP converted Warp Spiders

Dark eldar weaver guns, and necron something backs?
    What are you doing with the "ribs" on the back pieces?

edited November 2016
    Three! Three Abberants, Ah-Ah!

wyszsx8l90hn.jpg

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
    Wait, why did you glue them in the same poses? They are designed in such a way, that you can have two different hammer poses ans two different pick poses.
    Other than that, superb!

edited November 2016
    I assembled three of them while very, very tired and only realised that they were posed identically when I got the other two out to snap that photo.

My forehead is red and sore.

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
    Oh well. Their skin tones are quite different, so that's no big deal.

edited November 2016
    Work begins on Raging Heroes 'Kiki Bulldozer'.

After poring over Ben Komet's work, I'm taking his approach to skin tones, including the venerated VMA Armour Brown and Schmincke Primacryl Titanium White.

I lack VMC Red Beige, however, so have opted for a mix of VMC Brown Rose and GW Kislev Flesh instead, with a bit of black to desaturate it.

I'll keep you posted.

zdzeugawa80n.jpg

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
    Oh, I'm surprised to see Schmincke spreading. A friend who is an antique restorer (and mini painter) recommended them to me quite some time ago. I might end up giving it a try, what with me being dissatisfied with EVERY white paint I've had so far.

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    To distract from having to repaint the ruined Healer I've been working on the Pan O side of the Operation Icestorm box. I'm really happy with this Fuslier test run, although I still haven't mastered taking WiP photos with my phone.
    2nn8w938m6da.jpg

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
    THE SECRET PHOTOGRAPHERS DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW

Put a blank paper behind your mini.

Nice colours though!

Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Dark eldar weaver guns, and necron something backs?
    What are you doing with the "ribs" on the back pieces?

Yeah, DE Shredder guns, front torso from a Dire Avenger and back torso from a Necron Deathmark. Originally i wanted to keep the hoods but the helmets wouldnt fit so i trimmed them off.
    I stuck a couple of the back fin bitz from Guardians on the hole part at the back.
    Its not the strongest conversion, but for a kitbash and without sculpting anything i'm pretty happy with it.
    Cjo2YF2UUAE0Gjr.jpg

Ugh. I was completely in the wrong frame of mind when I was painting earlier, very scatterbrained. Screwed up royally.

On the upshot, I was able to get the mini dettol'd, washed, dried and two-tone primed in about 90 minutes.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Hey painting thread, any recommendations for primer(s) to pick up for Warmachine minis, both plastic and metal? I don't really have a good spray space, so I'm wondering if an airbrush or brush-on primer would be worthwhile.

edited November 2016
    Hey painting thread, any recommendations for primer(s) to pick up for Warmachine minis, both plastic and metal? I don't really have a good spray space, so I'm wondering if an airbrush or brush-on primer would be worthwhile.

Vallejo Surface Primer. End of discussion!

It can be both airbrushed and brush-on... ed... on.

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.