As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[World of Darkness] Red Star shining at WW HQ, heads to roll

• MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    .... That is certainly an odd survey. Expecting, do you like vampires y/n. Instead got please explain your sexual preferences and details about where you live.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I think they want to know more about their player base than what they like/dislike about the games. We might see the "like/dislike" survey later.

A thing I didn't know, there are three Hunter video games?

• ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    MoosehatIV wrote: »
    .... That is certainly an odd survey. Expecting, do you like vampires y/n. Instead got please explain your sexual preferences and details about where you live.
    It's the sort of information you normally pay datascrapers for to build marketing data; they're just getting you to provide it directly.

I'm actually torn about whether this is admirable or despicable.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
    Ardent wrote: »
    MoosehatIV wrote: »
    It's the sort of information you normally pay datascrapers for to build marketing data; they're just getting you to provide it directly.

I'm actually torn about whether this is admirable or despicable.

It's likely cheaper, which is good in my book. Spend money on things that matter, like writers, artist, strong hardback books, ect.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Vampires: I hate 'em!

• WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular

Yep. The last one was best, in case you're interested.

I'd like to play them all but they are all on different and old consoles, none of them I own.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

I wouldn't call it anything approaching accurate to Hunter power levels, unless you're playing as someone from Task Force Valkyrie. You cut through vampires and garou like they're made of tissue.

wVEsyIc.png
    Holy crap. I just seen the cover for H:tR Wayward and I remember having that as my desktop background in middle school, before I had even really heard of roleplaying games like WoD.

• WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I wouldn't call it anything approaching accurate to Hunter power levels, unless you're playing as someone from Task Force Valkyrie. You cut through vampires and garou like they're made of tissue.

Can you imagine a Hunter game coming close to the source material? I imagine it would play sort of like alpha protocol with 1/4th the enemies, more conversations, and a lot more emphasis on setting up clever traps.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Can you imagine a Hunter game coming close to the source material? I imagine it would play sort of like alpha protocol with 1/4th the enemies, more conversations, and a lot more emphasis on setting up clever traps.

I think it'd be pretty great, with the right setup.

wVEsyIc.png
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I would play the hell out of Hunter Protocol.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Some of the vamp glassware and a dark ages candle holder popped up on ebay this morning if anyone collects the merch.

Like a Dishonored Dark Souls in Modern Times?

thfdwpi6ejme.jpg

The White Wolf team playing the very first Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition Table Top playtest game set in the gritty urban streets of Croydon in the UK.

At least they're letting Rasputin run it.

If anyone can smooth out the WoD rules exploits, it's probably him.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    No dice.

Diceless game confirmed.

I didn't notice that.

Intriguing if remotely true.

The guy in the white shirt looks like he has a black d10 on his sheet.

The sheet tonsure dude is holding looks pretty much exactly like the oWoD Vampire stuff.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Buying up all of the ball bearings.

OptimusZed wrote: »
    I didn't notice that.

I will note that all of the people involved are known more for their involvement in the LARP, with one notable exception.

I didn't notice that.

I will note that all of the people involved are known more for their involvement in the LARP, with one notable exception.

That's pretty unsurprising. My impression is that the people that are still super into WoD on the level of spearheading a resurrection were probably gonna be LARPers.

I didn't notice that.

That's pretty unsurprising. My impression is that the people that are still super into WoD on the level of spearheading a resurrection were probably gonna be LARPers.
    Which is why I would expect something closer to MET (or a GM-does-the-rolls system) than what tabletop gamers might be familiar with.

I'm gonna laugh if the nnWoD is PbtA or something.

Why? It would be a fundamentally better game than the old Storyteller-based games.

Well, I think PbtA specifically would have a hard time doing WoD style horror. Monster hearts bring the counterexample, but it's not exactly what WoD tried to cast itself as. That much player agency can only really coexist with existential horror if literally everything you do causes you to drift further into monstrousness.

But mostly I would just be tickled by the fact that a bunch of amateur fans actually admitted to themselves that they weren't up to the task and used something completely unrelated but established to build the new game around.

But that's what all game designers do, fundamentally. Steal good ideas from other writers.

And it's exactly the opposite of what I'm expecting out of nnWoD.

They may yet surprise me.

Vampire, imo, is more about you as a pawn fighting through the social and political pyramid scheme of vampire and human societies while fighting the darkness both in you and around you.

Monsterhearts is about growing up as both a person and a monster, working to find that balance between them.

Also, I don't think they would go to PtbA system for 5th Edition mostly because they Storyteller is their system, it's what their fans expect. Even if it is out-dated and might be harder to update it to modern gaming standards than making a whole new system, I think that they are going to stick with it.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    The real question is can WoD survive such a fundamental change to their core mechanics?

Imagine if D&D tried to do something wildly different like that. I mean, look at the mechanical changes between AD&D 2nd edition and 3.x as just a small example (they still kept the same basic 'roll a d20' rule, just revamped how it worked).

Although if they lean into LARP, iirc nWoD LARP rules just use a single d20 roll instead of all the d10s. So they could maybe do that?

Personally I preferred using d6s anyway, especially with nWoD. The "10-again" rule becomes "exploding 6s" instead.

It'll be interesting to see what they decide to do and how folks react to it.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    I honestly question how far they can stray from the original "roll a handful of d10s, interpret like goat entrails" system they had without engaging their potential for market penetration.

Either they're banking on a bunch of old fans coming back, in which case big alterations are a bad idea, or they're trying for a new base of players, which means they need to fix their system. Third option being that this is all just a publicity stunt to gun up interest in a new set of computer RPGs, in which case they're probably fine essentially paying lip service to the handfuls of d10s mess and balancing it for their own needs.

I doubt they're banking on the old fans coming back. Once you lose fans getting them back is really tricky.

They're likely writing a system that relies more on the "buy a core system and follow our Patreon for new material" model, which can go either way, but is usually easier when you're leaning narrative.

• Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    In fairness, the new edition of Kult is using a heavily modified PbtA engine. It's not necessarily out of the question for handling a modern-day urban horror setting well.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Why? It would be a fundamentally better game than the old Storyteller-based games.

In your opinion. If it was PbtA I'd never buy another book by them, so I hope they don't go down that route

Yeah, I don't like PbtA as a GM. As a player, it's fine. But I can't image it's easy to enforce dread and fear on players when you are completely relying on the players' rolls/moves.

Solar wrote: »

In your opinion. If it was PbtA I'd never buy another book by them, so I hope they don't go down that route
    No, it'd objectively be a better game.

Whether it's the game someone wants is subjective.

Solar wrote: »

No, it'd objectively be a better game.

Whether it's the game someone wants is subjective.

I don't know about objectively better but it would be a different beast, which I think is the part of the problem with this argument. Too different and you lose your hard core fan base. Too same, and people will question why they would buy your book if they can do just about the same thing with older editions.

Plus, wouldn't they have to pay Vincent Baker or some publisher to use PbtA?

PbtA is a design award winner several times over. It's difficult to take someone seriously arguing that Storyteller is better than it.

Personal preference, however, is entirely subjective.